Is the drama too good to be true? (Picture: ITV)
Theres been no shortage of drama on winter Love Island, which has packed in all the usual recouplings, quarreling and mugging off that weve come to expect from the dating show.
While this year has been a little quieter than previous ones, weve seen Callum Jones ditch Shaughna Phillips for Molly Smith, Luke Mabbott getting messed around by just about everyone, and a fair few love triangles.
But Shaughnas confession she might have feelings for Luke M has seemingly proven too much for some Twitter users.
One person wrote: Im gonna be fuming if Shaughna and Luke M happens, its painfully staged.
Just days ago, Luke Ms pairing with Demi raised similar concerns.
One user said: Absolutely love Demi and luke but that was so staged, yesterday the public was like omg they would be so cute together and all of a sudden she likes him a bit absolutely gassed for them but I hope they werent told to do that #loveisland while another moaned: Love island is just becoming so staged.
In the past, people have also suggested the show uses actors after eagle-eyed viewers believe one girl featured in the local shop as a check-out girl and in the Island club behind the bar.
So, how real is the action in the villa and do relationships take off organically or are they engineered by producers?
This week, Sophie Piper hinted that producers orchestrated some of the scenes which led to explosive rows in the villa.
Rochelle Humes younger sister said bosses would steer the islanders to talk about particular topics during their time on the reality show, although she insists Love Island isnt massively staged.
When asked whether things were staged or if they happened organically she claimed: A bit of both, but its not massively staged. Producers might suggest, Why dont you talk about this and that?
Tyla Carr, a 2017 contestant, went further, alleging that certain moments had to be re-enacted again and again.
She said: You have to tell the producers on-site if you are planning to have an important chat or do something, she said. So they make sure the microphones pick it up and the cameras get it.
If you forget they would call you in and ask you to film it again. Liv Attwood had to dump Sam Gowland twice last year, which was embarrassing for both of them!
In 2019 a whistleblower told Mail on Sunday that many of the on-screen scenarios are very, very fake and that contestants are given lines to learn however the show has strongly denied these claims,
And some former islanders have said the show appears to now be scripted but that this is a new phenomenon.
Malin Andersson, who took part in the second series of Love Island, told Metro.co.uk it was sad to see scripted moments saying it takes away the innocence of finding love on the show.
The Sun also claimed in 2018 there was a 408-page cheat manual that detailed how the islanders could manipulate votes to get their love rivals out of the villa.
While the show is centered around them living in a villa, the islanders do get to leave it every now and then, although viewers never get to see these private moments.
The show takes a break on Saturdays to give the islanders time to relax.
Former contestant Chris Williamson once explained: There was a day every week where footage wasnt needed, which was liberating as you could talk about anything.
Contestants Montana Brown and Amber Davis were once spotted getting their hair and nails done outside of the villa.
Ovie was apparently even given a makeshift basketball court to practice in during last summers series.
When they are out of the villa, islanders reportedly are not allowed to talk about the show.
Love Island bosses have staunchly denied any of these allocations, refuting the report and that scenes are staged.
A spokesperson from the show said: As anyone who watches the show regularly would know, Love Island is a combination of reality and produced elements that are reflective of whats happening in the villa, and is a fair and accurate representation of villa life.
It is absolutely untrue to suggest that Love Island is fake, staged or scripted.The opinions they have and the relationships formed are completely within the control of the Islanders themselves.
Love Island continues tonight at 9pm on ITV
MORE: Love Island spoiler: Shaughna admits she has feelings for Luke M and we did not see this coming
MORE: Love Island bosses cut summer series by two weeks and it has always been planned that way
Continue reading here:
- St. Paul Island has no confirmed cases of COVID-19, but the community isn't letting down its guard - Alaska Public Media News - November 19th, 2020
- Number of Illegal Migrants Reaching Canary Islands on the Rise Amid COVID-19 - SchengenVisaInfo.com - November 19th, 2020
- Three players at Sea Island test positive for COVID-19 - ESPN - November 19th, 2020
- Mercer Island teen behind international COVID-19 data website tests positive for virus - KING5.com - November 19th, 2020
- An Iceberg the Size of South Georgia Island is on a Collision Course with South Georgia Island - Universe Today - November 19th, 2020
- The US's plans to keep a foothold against China in the Pacific have 'one huge blind spot' - Business Insider - Business Insider - November 19th, 2020
- Staten Island artists recognized for work in diversity, justice as part of 2020 Creative Climate Awards - SILive.com - November 19th, 2020
- On Horse Island, students take regenerative design 'off the grid' - Yale News - November 19th, 2020
- COVID-19 Is Reaching the Last Coronavirus-Free Nations on Earth - TIME - November 19th, 2020
- Avoiding storms and sea monsters on an impromptu paddle to Fishers Island - theday.com - November 19th, 2020
- Queer-Inclusive The Wilds Trailer Has Teen Girls on a Deserted Island - Advocate.com - November 19th, 2020
- Staten Island obituaries for Nov. 18, 2020 - SILive.com - November 19th, 2020
- Staten Island schools begin weekly coronavirus testing: What you need to know - silive.com - November 19th, 2020
- Shelter Island Reporter Letters to the Editor: Nov. 12-Nov. 19 - Shelter Island Reporter - November 19th, 2020
- Blue whales are returning to a tiny island in the sub-Antarctic 50 years after whaling in the region brought - Business Insider India - November 19th, 2020
- Hatteras Island power supply much more stable now - The Coastland Times - The Coastland Times - November 19th, 2020
- Billionaire William Gross Accused Of Blasting Gilligans Island Theme Song In Neighbor Dispute - CBS Los Angeles - November 19th, 2020
- Rowena Pagan and team help feed the houseless community - The Garden Island - November 19th, 2020
- April Freely Appointed Executive Director of Fire Island Artist Residency - Artforum - October 19th, 2020
- UFC Fight Island 6 Bonus Coverage - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - October 19th, 2020
- Do not be pressured to expose our island - The Garden Island - October 19th, 2020
- Joint Statement from the Citizens for Eagle Island and The Howard Hughes Corporation - hellowoodlands.com - October 19th, 2020
- On Brazils Island of Cats, Virus Led to Starvation - VOA Learning English - October 19th, 2020
- Donor offers $250K for lighthouse work near Mackinac Island, now its a race against winter - MLive.com - October 19th, 2020
- Rock Island High hosts public forums on renovations - WHBF - OurQuadCities.com - October 19th, 2020
- The Third Day Theory: Helen Is The Mother Of Osea Island - Screen Rant - October 19th, 2020
- 19th Street drowning is Tybee Islands 5th this year, officials say - WSAV-TV - October 19th, 2020
- Love Island's Curtis Pritchard and Amy Hart reunite during recording of his new podcast - Digital Spy - October 19th, 2020
- Staten Island Home of the Week: Castle-like estate, overlooking the entire island, $5.5M - SILive.com - October 19th, 2020
- Bucket brigade: Lack of water hampers response as Bondis Island Agawam landfill fire smolders for 3rd day - MassLive.com - October 19th, 2020
- 'Love Island' Winners Justine and Caleb Reunite and Theyre Just The Cutest - Essence - October 19th, 2020
- Touchless bathrooms, UV lights, HEPA filters: Rogers Coney Island unveils safety-influenced renovations - Fall River Herald News - October 19th, 2020
- Love Island USA winners reunite for relationship update - Digital Spy - October 19th, 2020
- Inter-island travel to return for Kauai, Honolulu, Maui, while Hawaii County opts-out - KHON2 - October 19th, 2020
- Providencia: An island with a 'sea of seven colours' - BBC News - October 19th, 2020
- Wish Upon a Food Truck Festival kicks off Saturday on City Island - ABC27 - September 18th, 2020
- A journalist's death stunned a small Island nation and ignited a fight for truth and justice - NBC News - September 18th, 2020
- Ice Age Cave Bear Found Preserved in Permafrost on Siberian Island - Smithsonian Magazine - September 18th, 2020
- Staten Island mom becomes a TikTok star with her videos about food, parenting advice - silive.com - September 18th, 2020
- Hunters fight off reported grizzly bear near Island Park - East Idaho News - September 18th, 2020
- Going green: Governors Island could soon house climate center - The Real Deal - September 18th, 2020
- Island Coast High School student arrested for texting threats to teacher - Wink News - September 18th, 2020
- Dream Honeymoons: Get Thee to an Island - My New Orleans - September 18th, 2020
- Jane Rogers position terminated -- for now -- by the Staten Island Yankees - SILive.com - September 18th, 2020
- David Robinson was left on an island during the 1995 Western Conference Finals - Pounding The Rock - September 18th, 2020
- Love Island USA: Season 2 Episode 22 TV Schedule, Streaming Options & Recap - Screen Rant - September 18th, 2020
- Staten Island Shakespearean Theatre embraces facial coverings in 'The Two Gentlemen of Verona production - SILive.com - September 18th, 2020
- Some Island kids return to in-person learning - Martha's Vineyard Times - September 18th, 2020
- BREAKING: Universal Studios Florida, Islands of Adventure, and Volcano Bay Theme Parks All Currently Closed at Capacity - wdwnt.com - September 8th, 2020
- OBITUARY: Janice Elaine Austin Lee, 85, of Merritt Island Passed Away on August 27 - SpaceCoastDaily.com - September 8th, 2020
- 'They're so vulnerable': Coronavirus hits tribes of isolated Andaman Islands - NBC News - September 8th, 2020
- Five forgotten Greek islands to visit right now - Telegraph.co.uk - September 8th, 2020
- Fixer uppers: Used bike project to benefit Caribbean island - GazetteNET - September 8th, 2020
- Staten Island Mall reopens Wednesday: What you need to know - SILive.com - September 8th, 2020
- South Padre Island businesses picking up over Labor Day weekend - KGBT-TV - September 8th, 2020
- Small Demonstration Against Temptation Island Filming Urges Government Leaders to Protect Hawaii - Maui Now - September 8th, 2020
- Love Has Won escorted to airport - Thegardenisland.com - September 8th, 2020
- Opinion: Want to Re-Think New York City? Start with Rikers Island. - City Limits - September 8th, 2020
- Guam records island's youngest coronavirus-related fatality over Labor Day weekend - Stars and Stripes - September 8th, 2020
- Amended orders: Inter-island travel restrictions eased among most islands - EyeWitness News - September 8th, 2020
- The best hotels on the British and Channel islands | Telegraph Travel - The Telegraph - September 8th, 2020
- Oak Island aimed for an 'impossibly fast' reopening. Was it too rushed? - Port City Daily - September 8th, 2020
- Chief Read: Island weathered the storm well with a good response in restoring power - Shelter Island - Shelter Island Reporter - August 10th, 2020
- Cameron: The City Island Monorail - CT Examiner - August 10th, 2020
- Full List of Big Island Primary Election Results - Big Island Now - August 10th, 2020
- This Day In History, August 10th, 2020 - "Last Island Hurricane" - Signals AZ - August 10th, 2020
- Mediapro Supplies OneSoccer With Broadcast Infrastructure of CPL The Island Games Tournament - Sports Video Group - August 10th, 2020
- Car crash on Block Island kills teen, seriously injures another - The Providence Journal - August 10th, 2020
- Eddie Hearn Has Boxing's Answer to the UFC's Fight Island - Sportscasting - August 10th, 2020
- Solid Waste Division OT over budget again | The Garden Island - Thegardenisland.com - August 10th, 2020
- Mercer Island Thrift Shop, recycling center renovations to take longer - Mercer Island Reporter - August 10th, 2020
- 8 outdoor workouts across the North Fork and Shelter Island to keep you happy and fit - Northforker - August 10th, 2020
- China Is Counting On Island Outposts To Project PowerBut U.S. Troops Could Capture Them - Forbes - August 10th, 2020
- TV tonight: A beautiful trip to the Galpagos Islands - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- Missing sailors stranded on Pacific island saved by giant SOS in the sand - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- 11 Things To Know Before Visiting Channel Islands National Park - TravelAwaits - August 10th, 2020
- Couple who live on old Ellis Island ferryboat launches S.I. tours - SILive.com - August 10th, 2020
- OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR News Release Governor Ige reinstating partial inter-island travel quarantine - David Y. Ige | Newsroom - August 10th, 2020
- 4 private islands for rent within driving distance from Atlanta - Atlanta Journal Constitution - August 10th, 2020
- No flight required: 10 island escapes in the US that you can drive to - USA TODAY - August 10th, 2020