RICHMOND, Va. -- Hundreds of people gathered at Brown's Island in Richmond Sunday carrying signs and chanting in a peaceful protest over the death of George Floyd following two nights of destructive riots in the River City.
"We do not want violence today," said Sam Reed, who was one of the hundreds of protesters who took part in the nearby Justice for Black Lives Car Rally. "If you act a fool, you will be booted out."
Demonstrations were sparked across the country and in Richmond in protest of the death of George Floyd, a black man who died Monday after a white Minneapolis police officer pressed his knee on his neck until he stopped breathing.
Signs filled the sky at the Brown's Island event, which featured speakers, artists and a march, to bring attention to the deaths of black men and women like Floyd, Ahmad Arbery, Breonna Taylor. They died at the hands of police or former police officers.
Arbery was shot and killed in Georgia following a struggle with a former police officer and his son in February, and video showed the two men block his path as he ran down a suburban road.
Floyd died in police custody in Minnesota on Monday, and video showed an officer kneeling on his neck as he struggled to breathe.
Taylor was shot in her Louisville home in March when police entered her home on a "knock-free" warrant. Thinking the police were intruders, she shot at the officers, who then responded with fatal fire of their own.
One protester at Sunday's event called Richmond a "great city full of great people."
"It's for a great cause," she said. "This is bigger than all of us."
Organizers said they were cognizant of the devastation the two night of riots caused to Richmond businesses.
"The people who live here are going to protest peacefully," Stephanie Hewlett said. "The destruction that's happening that I've seen is not of our people."
Reed said the event left her full of emotion, hope, pride and joy because "we need that in order to move forward."
"Everyone is necessary in order to win the battle," Reed added.
Community leaders are planning a call to action event Monday at 1 p.m. at the Richmond Reconciliation Statue.
Read this article:
- Bahamians drive Out Island tourism restart - Bahamas Tribune - July 13th, 2020
- Taste Key West restaurant brings flavor of islands to Harrisburg - pennlive.com - July 13th, 2020
- Volcanic island spewing ash and lava spotted from space - Space.com - July 13th, 2020
- Martha's Vineyard News | Round the Island Race Set for August 1 - The Vineyard Gazette - Martha's Vineyard News - July 13th, 2020
- AAU Sunday: Grand Island's Isaac Traudt and Omaha Bryan's Lam Kuany have big days - Omaha World-Herald - July 13th, 2020
- Big Island Mayor's Race Could Hinge On Winning The Leeward Vote - Honolulu Civil Beat - July 13th, 2020
- 'Our Irish island is the last stop before America' - BBC News - July 13th, 2020
- MP calls for Highlands and Islands Enterprise to be scrapped and replaced - Press and Journal - July 13th, 2020
- My Quarantine Experience on Yeongjong Island in South Korea - The National Interest - July 13th, 2020
- A Maine island is being billed as a private pandemic playground for the wealthy elite - Bangor Daily News - July 13th, 2020
- Volunteers net tons of nets - Thegardenisland.com - July 13th, 2020
- B.C. offers $300K to help Vancouver Island farmers with climate change - CTV News - July 13th, 2020
- Island Heights, N.J.: A Magical Place Thats a Step Out of Time - The New York Times - July 13th, 2020
- Update: Island confirmed cases rise to 44 - Martha's Vineyard Times - July 13th, 2020
- How a Tiny Indian Ocean Island Could Force a US-UK Rift - Defense One - July 13th, 2020
- A Guide to the Caribbean Islands Reopening this Summer - Cond Nast Traveler - July 13th, 2020
- Shelter Island Reporter Letters to the Editor - Shelter Island Reporter - Shelter Island Reporter - July 11th, 2020
- Feds announce $7 million plan to seal Prince of Wales Island uranium mine - KRBD - July 11th, 2020
- High school fall sports season on Staten Island still very much up in the air, says AD - SILive.com - July 11th, 2020
- Deiveson Figueiredo Tests Positive for COVID-19 Ahead of UFC Fight Island Event - Bleacher Report - July 11th, 2020
- This private island is for sale in Loch Lomond, Scotland and it's the same price as a London flat - HouseBeautiful.com - July 11th, 2020
- Two new cases bring Island total to 40 - Martha's Vineyard Times - July 11th, 2020
- Beware of jellyfish: Padre Island National Seashore tells visitors to pack vinegar to treat stings - mySA - July 11th, 2020
- Personality test: What Kings Island ride are you? - The Cincinnati Enquirer - July 11th, 2020
- Kings Island opens to the public Friday. Here are all the new rules and requirements - The Cincinnati Enquirer - July 11th, 2020
- Island at 38 confirmed cases - Martha's Vineyard Times - July 11th, 2020
- Kings Island employee tests positive for coronavirus - Hamilton Journal News - July 11th, 2020
- From hurricanes to coronavirus, three Puerto Rican athletes share their stories of what the island has faced - ESPN - July 11th, 2020
- 'They are just doing their own thing on an island': Doctor wants more COVID-19 coordination with Test Nebraska - KETV Omaha - July 11th, 2020
- Roosevelt Island Operating Corp. head fired over 'racially and sexually offensive' remarks - New York Post - June 20th, 2020
- Empire Outlets, Staten Island Mall: What Phase 2 means for Staten Island shoppers - SILive.com - June 20th, 2020
- Braised in the South food truck will settle down on Johns Island this summer - Charleston City Paper - June 20th, 2020
- A phased reopening - Thegardenisland.com - June 20th, 2020
- Boch provides a boost for Island charities - Martha's Vineyard Times - June 20th, 2020
- Big Island Road Closures, June 20 to June 26 - Big Island Now - June 20th, 2020
- Diego, the tortoise who saved his entire species, finally retires to uninhabited island - CNN - June 20th, 2020
- Town of Grand Island partners with local agencies to address questions related to solar energy - Niagara Frontier Publications - June 20th, 2020
- UFC fills out first four cards for Fight Island debut in July - ESPN - June 20th, 2020
- The island with a key to our future - BBC News - June 20th, 2020
- Interisland travelers tell all - Thegardenisland.com - June 20th, 2020
- MTM On The Road: A Tour Around Mackinac Island - 9 & 10 News - 9&10 News - June 20th, 2020
- Large mass of grasses creates floating island in Muskegon - WNEM Saginaw - June 20th, 2020
- Love Island's Malin Andersson posts poignant tribute to Sophie Gradon two years after suicide - Mirror Online - June 20th, 2020
- Town Council considering ordinance to require mask wearing on island - Block Island Times - June 20th, 2020
- Think twice before booking off-island travel, says Jersey Consumer Council - ITV News - June 20th, 2020
- UFC 251 -- Which fighter faces the most pressure on Fight Island? - ESPN - June 20th, 2020
- Islands of Ireland: Whiddy in the same boat - Irish Examiner - June 1st, 2020
- Mackinac Island eases into summer season with soft, soft opening - MLive.com - June 1st, 2020
- Watch Rivers Cuomo cover Jesus Christ Superstar song for Islands In The Zoom sessions - NME - June 1st, 2020
- New COVID-19 case with ties to San Juan Island under investigation - SanJuanIslander.com - June 1st, 2020
- Meet kumu the whitesaddle goatfish - Thegardenisland.com - June 1st, 2020
- Cruise the Greek Islands with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon - The New Yorker - June 1st, 2020
- No new COVID-19 cases reported on Big Island - West Hawaii Today - June 1st, 2020
- Staten Island obituaries for May 31, 2020 - silive.com - June 1st, 2020
- Staten Island ShopRite melee ignites feuding factions on masks in pandemic - silive.com - June 1st, 2020
- Allow Staten Island students to have outdoor graduation ceremonies, city official says - SILive.com - June 1st, 2020
- The island that can save America | TheHill - The Hill - June 1st, 2020
- Long wait to reopen is over for Vancouver Island gyms Vancouver Island Free Daily - vancouverislandfreedaily.com - June 1st, 2020
- A Vancouver Island Road Trip of Crisp Wines and Gigantic Trees - Cond Nast Traveler - May 15th, 2020
- Up-Island towns uneasy about summer influx - Martha's Vineyard Times - May 15th, 2020
- Rock Island County reports another COVID-19 death - Quad City Times - May 15th, 2020
- Kite-surfing and social distancing, but no Sullivans at Castle Island - The Boston Globe - May 15th, 2020
- A grand opening - Thegardenisland.com - May 15th, 2020
- Long before Covid-19, these islands were a refuge from plague - CNN - May 15th, 2020
- Booth doing 'virtual' concert to raise Trooper Island funds - WTVQ - May 15th, 2020
- Love Island's Finley Tapp creates Scottish lockdown survival kit while isolating with Paige Turley - Daily Record - May 15th, 2020
- The Womens Jail at Rikers Island Is Named for My Grandmother. She Would Not Be Proud. - The New York Times - May 15th, 2020
- Top Cuban Official Accuses America Of Committing Acts Of Terrorism Against Island Nation - CBS Miami - May 15th, 2020
- Grand Island Public Schools Foundation launching Give GIPS Week - Grand Island Independent - May 15th, 2020
- District Court judge: City of Bellevue cannot engage in 'island annexation' - Omaha World-Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Rare blue dragons are washing up on the Padre Island National Seashore - CNN - May 15th, 2020
- Staten Island Home of the Week: Privately-gated community with panoramic views, $3M - SILive.com - May 11th, 2020
- Antibody testing begins on the Big Island - West Hawaii Today - May 11th, 2020
- Hardwood logging on Manus Island has not delivered promised local benefits, report finds - The Guardian - May 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus claims 11 more Staten Islanders; more than 2K released from Island hospitals - SILive.com - May 11th, 2020
- South Padre Island properties unphased by COVID-19 housing market, realtor explains - KGBT-TV - May 11th, 2020
- Love Island's Malin Andersson felt 'shame' for staying with abusive ex after he 'beat her up' - Mirror Online - May 11th, 2020
- Love Island 2020 could be set for surprise return this Autumn after cancellation - RadioTimes - May 11th, 2020
- Tunnel to Towers Foundation working to take care of Staten Island - SILive.com - May 11th, 2020
- Staten Island obituaries for May 10, 2020 - SILive.com - May 11th, 2020