With the Shelter Island School closed for the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic, parents are trying to keep their children up to date with their schoolwork. But unfortunately, according to the New York State School Counselor Association, four out of 10 students are not doing their home instruction.
Richard OConnell, an educator who spent many summers on the Island teaching tennis in the Heights, was inspired to write a book to help teachers and parents learn how to motivate students. His experience in counseling and helping children includes serving as district guidance coordinator, assistant principal, director of guidance and counselor in various New York and New Jersey public and private schools over a span of 40 years. For the past 11 years, hes volunteered in a minority school assisting students in the college/career admissions process.
Hes the author of two previous books. One is for school counselors, The Secrets To Being A Great School Counselor, and he co-authored In My Mind, discussing Aspergers as it operates in the mind of a young man, Shelter Island native Alex Olinkiewicz.
Mr. OConnell is especially concerned about students falling behind by neglecting their school work while sheltering at home. Many of these children are poor students to begin with, he said, and as such, their future will not be too bright.
His new book has a brain-teasing title: Ad-For Every Vice-One* Unscramble it, of course, and hes offering advice for everyone and right now, it will be most welcomed by parents.
The book contains programs, reflections and anecdotes for the sole purpose of motivating students, the author said.
The anecdotes within the book are stories, instances and advice that the reader is asked to adapt to her/his special circumstances for the purpose of getting kids involved. The programs are innovative plans of action, offered for parents or teachers to incorporate into their school or home learning setting. The reflections are personal thoughts and ruminations from his own experience.
Learning from the experience of teachers
There are more than 40 anecdotes in the book. Some are shocking; some are funny; some are very didactic; but all relate to motivating students he said.
Heres one: A youngster in middle school came to school each day with a particular, unpleasant odor coming from his person. His teacher eventually called him aside. And as he came towards the teacher the odor got worse to the point where the teacher realized it was coming from his tie. In the day when students wore ties, this young man never remade the tie and just slipped it on each day.
Upon examining it, the teacher discovered a dead mouse, lodged in the webbing of the tie. If the teacher exclaimed, Oh! My God, a mouse! it would have been a grave embarrassment for the student and his classmates. And probably, it would have given him a nickname that would follow him for years.
The teacher discreetly invited him to step outside and requested he go to the bathroom and dispose of the tie in the garbage. While shocking, and humorous, Mr. OConnell relates the story to always remember to safeguard the self-esteem of every student.
Focusing on how parents can help
In light of the academic challenges many parents now face teaching their children at home, he offers the following advice, to ask their children: Do you want to get higher academic grades? Do you want your teachers to like you? Do you want to do well on school exams? Do you want to prepare for college?
If so, there are two simple rules to follow
1. Do your home work very, very well every night.
2. Ask your teachers privately for information about anything in your home work you dont understand. Mr. OConnell pointed out that psychologically, teachers are more inclined to give higher grades to students who demonstrate greater interest in their subject.
These rules are offered to answer all the questions listed above. And teachers will know you want to do well and reward you, he said.
Follow both rules, he urges parents to remind their children, and it will ensure theyll get higher grades.
Even if parents dont follow the literal guidance above, hes encouraging them to engage their children in a conversation about their goals and working together to overcome challenges, especially with material they find difficult.
All royalties from this book will be donated to charities. Its price [$11.99] is inexpensive, Mr. OConnell said, since its message is needed more than its price. The book is available by going to the Archway publishing site (archwaypublishing.com) and clicking through to the bookstore. Its fairly easy to find, since its near the top of their best-seller list.
Go here to see the original:
- A Maine island is being billed as a private pandemic playground for the wealthy elite - Bangor Daily News - July 11th, 2020
- Shelter Island Reporter Letters to the Editor - Shelter Island Reporter - Shelter Island Reporter - July 11th, 2020
- Feds announce $7 million plan to seal Prince of Wales Island uranium mine - KRBD - July 11th, 2020
- High school fall sports season on Staten Island still very much up in the air, says AD - SILive.com - July 11th, 2020
- Deiveson Figueiredo Tests Positive for COVID-19 Ahead of UFC Fight Island Event - Bleacher Report - July 11th, 2020
- Island Heights, N.J.: A Magical Place Thats a Step Out of Time - The New York Times - July 11th, 2020
- This private island is for sale in Loch Lomond, Scotland and it's the same price as a London flat - HouseBeautiful.com - July 11th, 2020
- Two new cases bring Island total to 40 - Martha's Vineyard Times - July 11th, 2020
- Beware of jellyfish: Padre Island National Seashore tells visitors to pack vinegar to treat stings - mySA - July 11th, 2020
- Personality test: What Kings Island ride are you? - The Cincinnati Enquirer - July 11th, 2020
- Kings Island opens to the public Friday. Here are all the new rules and requirements - The Cincinnati Enquirer - July 11th, 2020
- Island at 38 confirmed cases - Martha's Vineyard Times - July 11th, 2020
- Kings Island employee tests positive for coronavirus - Hamilton Journal News - July 11th, 2020
- From hurricanes to coronavirus, three Puerto Rican athletes share their stories of what the island has faced - ESPN - July 11th, 2020
- 'They are just doing their own thing on an island': Doctor wants more COVID-19 coordination with Test Nebraska - KETV Omaha - July 11th, 2020
- Roosevelt Island Operating Corp. head fired over 'racially and sexually offensive' remarks - New York Post - June 20th, 2020
- Empire Outlets, Staten Island Mall: What Phase 2 means for Staten Island shoppers - SILive.com - June 20th, 2020
- Braised in the South food truck will settle down on Johns Island this summer - Charleston City Paper - June 20th, 2020
- A phased reopening - Thegardenisland.com - June 20th, 2020
- Boch provides a boost for Island charities - Martha's Vineyard Times - June 20th, 2020
- Big Island Road Closures, June 20 to June 26 - Big Island Now - June 20th, 2020
- Diego, the tortoise who saved his entire species, finally retires to uninhabited island - CNN - June 20th, 2020
- Town of Grand Island partners with local agencies to address questions related to solar energy - Niagara Frontier Publications - June 20th, 2020
- UFC fills out first four cards for Fight Island debut in July - ESPN - June 20th, 2020
- The island with a key to our future - BBC News - June 20th, 2020
- Interisland travelers tell all - Thegardenisland.com - June 20th, 2020
- MTM On The Road: A Tour Around Mackinac Island - 9 & 10 News - 9&10 News - June 20th, 2020
- Large mass of grasses creates floating island in Muskegon - WNEM Saginaw - June 20th, 2020
- Love Island's Malin Andersson posts poignant tribute to Sophie Gradon two years after suicide - Mirror Online - June 20th, 2020
- Town Council considering ordinance to require mask wearing on island - Block Island Times - June 20th, 2020
- Think twice before booking off-island travel, says Jersey Consumer Council - ITV News - June 20th, 2020
- UFC 251 -- Which fighter faces the most pressure on Fight Island? - ESPN - June 20th, 2020
- Islands of Ireland: Whiddy in the same boat - Irish Examiner - June 1st, 2020
- Mackinac Island eases into summer season with soft, soft opening - MLive.com - June 1st, 2020
- Watch Rivers Cuomo cover Jesus Christ Superstar song for Islands In The Zoom sessions - NME - June 1st, 2020
- Hundreds gather at Brown's Island: 'We are going to protest peacefully' - wtvr.com - June 1st, 2020
- New COVID-19 case with ties to San Juan Island under investigation - SanJuanIslander.com - June 1st, 2020
- Meet kumu the whitesaddle goatfish - Thegardenisland.com - June 1st, 2020
- Cruise the Greek Islands with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon - The New Yorker - June 1st, 2020
- No new COVID-19 cases reported on Big Island - West Hawaii Today - June 1st, 2020
- Staten Island obituaries for May 31, 2020 - silive.com - June 1st, 2020
- Staten Island ShopRite melee ignites feuding factions on masks in pandemic - silive.com - June 1st, 2020
- Allow Staten Island students to have outdoor graduation ceremonies, city official says - SILive.com - June 1st, 2020
- The island that can save America | TheHill - The Hill - June 1st, 2020
- Long wait to reopen is over for Vancouver Island gyms Vancouver Island Free Daily - vancouverislandfreedaily.com - June 1st, 2020
- A Vancouver Island Road Trip of Crisp Wines and Gigantic Trees - Cond Nast Traveler - May 15th, 2020
- Up-Island towns uneasy about summer influx - Martha's Vineyard Times - May 15th, 2020
- Rock Island County reports another COVID-19 death - Quad City Times - May 15th, 2020
- Kite-surfing and social distancing, but no Sullivans at Castle Island - The Boston Globe - May 15th, 2020
- A grand opening - Thegardenisland.com - May 15th, 2020
- Long before Covid-19, these islands were a refuge from plague - CNN - May 15th, 2020
- Booth doing 'virtual' concert to raise Trooper Island funds - WTVQ - May 15th, 2020
- Love Island's Finley Tapp creates Scottish lockdown survival kit while isolating with Paige Turley - Daily Record - May 15th, 2020
- The Womens Jail at Rikers Island Is Named for My Grandmother. She Would Not Be Proud. - The New York Times - May 15th, 2020
- Top Cuban Official Accuses America Of Committing Acts Of Terrorism Against Island Nation - CBS Miami - May 15th, 2020
- Grand Island Public Schools Foundation launching Give GIPS Week - Grand Island Independent - May 15th, 2020
- District Court judge: City of Bellevue cannot engage in 'island annexation' - Omaha World-Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Rare blue dragons are washing up on the Padre Island National Seashore - CNN - May 15th, 2020
- Staten Island Home of the Week: Privately-gated community with panoramic views, $3M - SILive.com - May 11th, 2020
- Antibody testing begins on the Big Island - West Hawaii Today - May 11th, 2020
- Hardwood logging on Manus Island has not delivered promised local benefits, report finds - The Guardian - May 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus claims 11 more Staten Islanders; more than 2K released from Island hospitals - SILive.com - May 11th, 2020
- South Padre Island properties unphased by COVID-19 housing market, realtor explains - KGBT-TV - May 11th, 2020
- Love Island's Malin Andersson felt 'shame' for staying with abusive ex after he 'beat her up' - Mirror Online - May 11th, 2020
- Love Island 2020 could be set for surprise return this Autumn after cancellation - RadioTimes - May 11th, 2020
- Tunnel to Towers Foundation working to take care of Staten Island - SILive.com - May 11th, 2020
- Staten Island obituaries for May 10, 2020 - SILive.com - May 11th, 2020
- Reveling in the Enigmatic Beauty of Easter Island - The New York Times - May 11th, 2020
- NYC's Coney Island Beach in Cyclone of Confusion for Summer - THE CITY - May 11th, 2020
- Danny Dyer says Love Island is a "pile of s**t" and leaves The Ranganation viewers - digitalspy.com - May 11th, 2020
- Island Luck CEO: No logic or rational in govt. decision making - EyeWitness News - May 11th, 2020
- Staten Island Zoo to host virtual meet and greet with exotic animals: How to attend - SILive.com - May 1st, 2020
- Artists campaign against Bristol Spike Island eviction of Howard Silverman - The Guardian - May 1st, 2020
- Coronavirus: Woman took son to Greek island to 'protect him from COVID-19' - Sky News - May 1st, 2020
- TSB investigation into Island Queen III incident issues three concerns - The Kingston Whig-Standard - May 1st, 2020
- This Tech Conference Is Being Held on an Animal Crossing Island - VICE - May 1st, 2020
- Island COVID-19 confirmed cases rise to 19 - Martha's Vineyard Times - May 1st, 2020
- VIRTUAL TOUR Island Farm: Going back in time to coastal farm life in the 1800s | The Coastland Times - The Coastland Times - May 1st, 2020
- Car thieves flocking to Staten Island during pandemic, many of them repeat offenders - SILive.com - May 1st, 2020
- Coney Island Hospital Treated To Record-Breaking Meal Donation For Staff - BKLYNER - May 1st, 2020