With patience and perseverance a mother bird holds food from her mouth and shares it with her baby birds. The babies are raising their heads and poking out their little beaks for something to eat.
I do not know which insect she had caught. I cannot see from here. From where I stand I see the little bird and the nest she has made, but they are far away. It is as far away from behind the tall fences that keep people imprisoned.
In my opinion motherhood is a symbol of sacrifice, whether it is a mother bird or the mother of a human being. It is difficult, and it is rare, to care for someone more than you care for yourself.
The mother of Alan Kurdi, the Kurdish Syrian child, must have loved him in the same way. Just imagine it makes me choke with sorrow. In order to escape war, and in hope for a decent future for her child, that mother had to flee her homeland. She left the rest of her family behind in Syria and confronted the sea, she journeyed on a decaying boat that split apart along the way. Everyone in the boat ended up in the water. Alan lost his future, and his father will never see him grow up. The mother also perished.
She had promised him a future as she packed his belongings, no doubt while the bombs were dropping and the bullets were firing. She had told him about a better place, a place where Alan would be happy. But the final images Alan saw before his life ended were the massive and furious waves that merciless swallowed him.
I think to myself that if Alan were to have survived would he be leading a happy life now?
War never brings happiness; in my view it is terrible for both sides. No one wins in the end. A good victory is one where no lives are lost in the process; no one wins when either superpowers or smaller nations sacrifice lives.
Refugees lose their lives to war, political persecution or economic exploitation they flee their homelands and no one knows whether they end up living a happy life or not. The future is unknown, no one knows what the future holds.
Like me, I have not been able to feel the touch of my mothers hands. I have not been able to hold her for all these years. It has been years since I have had the chance to see her wrinkled face, to see her fading smile, to see her staring back at me. This is what I dream for while incarcerated, locked up without ever having committed a crime. I have been imprisoned without charge, just like the young Arab man who used to sit on the dirty floor. Or the Afghan man who used to lean on the palm tree looking at the photo of his child; he would spend his time like this for six years. His child is growing up and probably does not recognise his father.
The story of each refugee is a tragedy in itself. None of these stories have an ending. Sometimes when we board those boats those floating coffins they never reach their destination.
I do not understand the contradictions, this discrimination. The land that God has bestowed on us and which we struggle over, lands from which me and people like me are banished. I am a prisoner now because I dared to dream; these dreams I will never realise.
I wanted to escape war, I wanted to flee hardship I had these dreams, I at least wanted to avoid these things in life. These are not luxuries or fancy things. I wanted a peaceful life. I still have these dreams.
The mother bird takes flight. The baby birds are still eating. Life continues. Out there, beyond the fences, where we could be leading a life of our own. But we are still in here.
A remote and isolated island surrounded by water as far as the eye can see. Where else could we go from here? I remember when we left the prison camp the sun was shining. We were restless as we sat in the bus, we were smiling. We had a reason to smile.
We thought that after six years we would be able to live a free life. That was not to be the case. We entered a city, but we would not experience freedom. Instead, we entered a multistory hotel Mantra Bell City hotel in Melbourne. This is our latest prison.
I always think to myself, what crime did I commit that I have to pay with this form of punishment? I am a simple person who just wants to live my life. I want a good life. But after what I have gone through I now have to spent months confined to a single floor, in a hotel and in a room with a few people; my world is limited to the narrow corridor of the third floor of this hotel.
Just imagine it, that your whole life and all your interactions are restricted to that one floor and that one corridor. I just want you to picture this life for yourself. You cannot go for a walk, you cannot go on a trip. Oh God, what does going for a walk even mean?
In my view, it is easier for a prisoner who knows they are making amends in prison for their wrongdoing in contrast to us who do not even know what we are being punished for.
Mardin Arvin is a Kurdish Iranian writer who has been imprisoned by the Australian government since 2013: Manus Island (2013-2019), Port Moresby (2019), and Melbourne (2019, ongoing). He works in four languages: Kurdish, Farsi, English and Tok Pisin; and he is conducting research and writing a book while incarcerated. His writing has been published in Meanjin.
Translated by Omid Tofighian, an award-winning lecturer, researcher and community advocate. He is adjunct lecturer in the School of the Arts and Media at the University of New South Wales and honorary research associate for the Department of Philosophy, University of Sydney. His published works include Myth and Philosophy in Platonic Dialogues (Palgrave 2016) and he is the translator of Behrouz Boochanis multi-award-winning book No Friend But the Mountains: Writing From Manus Prison (Picador 2018).
Read more from the original source:
- April Freely Appointed Executive Director of Fire Island Artist Residency - Artforum - October 19th, 2020
- UFC Fight Island 6 Bonus Coverage - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - October 19th, 2020
- Do not be pressured to expose our island - The Garden Island - October 19th, 2020
- Joint Statement from the Citizens for Eagle Island and The Howard Hughes Corporation - hellowoodlands.com - October 19th, 2020
- On Brazils Island of Cats, Virus Led to Starvation - VOA Learning English - October 19th, 2020
- Donor offers $250K for lighthouse work near Mackinac Island, now its a race against winter - MLive.com - October 19th, 2020
- Rock Island High hosts public forums on renovations - WHBF - OurQuadCities.com - October 19th, 2020
- The Third Day Theory: Helen Is The Mother Of Osea Island - Screen Rant - October 19th, 2020
- 19th Street drowning is Tybee Islands 5th this year, officials say - WSAV-TV - October 19th, 2020
- Love Island's Curtis Pritchard and Amy Hart reunite during recording of his new podcast - Digital Spy - October 19th, 2020
- Staten Island Home of the Week: Castle-like estate, overlooking the entire island, $5.5M - SILive.com - October 19th, 2020
- Bucket brigade: Lack of water hampers response as Bondis Island Agawam landfill fire smolders for 3rd day - MassLive.com - October 19th, 2020
- 'Love Island' Winners Justine and Caleb Reunite and Theyre Just The Cutest - Essence - October 19th, 2020
- Touchless bathrooms, UV lights, HEPA filters: Rogers Coney Island unveils safety-influenced renovations - Fall River Herald News - October 19th, 2020
- Love Island USA winners reunite for relationship update - Digital Spy - October 19th, 2020
- Inter-island travel to return for Kauai, Honolulu, Maui, while Hawaii County opts-out - KHON2 - October 19th, 2020
- Providencia: An island with a 'sea of seven colours' - BBC News - October 19th, 2020
- Wish Upon a Food Truck Festival kicks off Saturday on City Island - ABC27 - September 18th, 2020
- A journalist's death stunned a small Island nation and ignited a fight for truth and justice - NBC News - September 18th, 2020
- Ice Age Cave Bear Found Preserved in Permafrost on Siberian Island - Smithsonian Magazine - September 18th, 2020
- Staten Island mom becomes a TikTok star with her videos about food, parenting advice - silive.com - September 18th, 2020
- Hunters fight off reported grizzly bear near Island Park - East Idaho News - September 18th, 2020
- Going green: Governors Island could soon house climate center - The Real Deal - September 18th, 2020
- Island Coast High School student arrested for texting threats to teacher - Wink News - September 18th, 2020
- Dream Honeymoons: Get Thee to an Island - My New Orleans - September 18th, 2020
- Jane Rogers position terminated -- for now -- by the Staten Island Yankees - SILive.com - September 18th, 2020
- David Robinson was left on an island during the 1995 Western Conference Finals - Pounding The Rock - September 18th, 2020
- Love Island USA: Season 2 Episode 22 TV Schedule, Streaming Options & Recap - Screen Rant - September 18th, 2020
- Staten Island Shakespearean Theatre embraces facial coverings in 'The Two Gentlemen of Verona production - SILive.com - September 18th, 2020
- Some Island kids return to in-person learning - Martha's Vineyard Times - September 18th, 2020
- BREAKING: Universal Studios Florida, Islands of Adventure, and Volcano Bay Theme Parks All Currently Closed at Capacity - wdwnt.com - September 8th, 2020
- OBITUARY: Janice Elaine Austin Lee, 85, of Merritt Island Passed Away on August 27 - SpaceCoastDaily.com - September 8th, 2020
- 'They're so vulnerable': Coronavirus hits tribes of isolated Andaman Islands - NBC News - September 8th, 2020
- Five forgotten Greek islands to visit right now - Telegraph.co.uk - September 8th, 2020
- Fixer uppers: Used bike project to benefit Caribbean island - GazetteNET - September 8th, 2020
- Staten Island Mall reopens Wednesday: What you need to know - SILive.com - September 8th, 2020
- South Padre Island businesses picking up over Labor Day weekend - KGBT-TV - September 8th, 2020
- Small Demonstration Against Temptation Island Filming Urges Government Leaders to Protect Hawaii - Maui Now - September 8th, 2020
- Love Has Won escorted to airport - Thegardenisland.com - September 8th, 2020
- Opinion: Want to Re-Think New York City? Start with Rikers Island. - City Limits - September 8th, 2020
- Guam records island's youngest coronavirus-related fatality over Labor Day weekend - Stars and Stripes - September 8th, 2020
- Amended orders: Inter-island travel restrictions eased among most islands - EyeWitness News - September 8th, 2020
- The best hotels on the British and Channel islands | Telegraph Travel - The Telegraph - September 8th, 2020
- Oak Island aimed for an 'impossibly fast' reopening. Was it too rushed? - Port City Daily - September 8th, 2020
- Chief Read: Island weathered the storm well with a good response in restoring power - Shelter Island - Shelter Island Reporter - August 10th, 2020
- Cameron: The City Island Monorail - CT Examiner - August 10th, 2020
- Full List of Big Island Primary Election Results - Big Island Now - August 10th, 2020
- This Day In History, August 10th, 2020 - "Last Island Hurricane" - Signals AZ - August 10th, 2020
- Mediapro Supplies OneSoccer With Broadcast Infrastructure of CPL The Island Games Tournament - Sports Video Group - August 10th, 2020
- Car crash on Block Island kills teen, seriously injures another - The Providence Journal - August 10th, 2020
- Eddie Hearn Has Boxing's Answer to the UFC's Fight Island - Sportscasting - August 10th, 2020
- Solid Waste Division OT over budget again | The Garden Island - Thegardenisland.com - August 10th, 2020
- Mercer Island Thrift Shop, recycling center renovations to take longer - Mercer Island Reporter - August 10th, 2020
- 8 outdoor workouts across the North Fork and Shelter Island to keep you happy and fit - Northforker - August 10th, 2020
- China Is Counting On Island Outposts To Project PowerBut U.S. Troops Could Capture Them - Forbes - August 10th, 2020
- TV tonight: A beautiful trip to the Galpagos Islands - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- Missing sailors stranded on Pacific island saved by giant SOS in the sand - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- 11 Things To Know Before Visiting Channel Islands National Park - TravelAwaits - August 10th, 2020
- Couple who live on old Ellis Island ferryboat launches S.I. tours - SILive.com - August 10th, 2020
- OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR News Release Governor Ige reinstating partial inter-island travel quarantine - David Y. Ige | Newsroom - August 10th, 2020
- 4 private islands for rent within driving distance from Atlanta - Atlanta Journal Constitution - August 10th, 2020
- No flight required: 10 island escapes in the US that you can drive to - USA TODAY - August 10th, 2020
- "Once On This Island" Adaptation to be Developed for Disney+ - wdwnt.com - August 10th, 2020
- Sunsets on Cape Cod and the islands are beautiful this summer. Here are 20 reader-submitted photos to prove it. - Boston.com - August 10th, 2020
- Exploring the vast, rolling hills of the Faroe Islands - Far Out Magazine - August 10th, 2020
- Daufuskie Island offers a taste of the simple life in the Lowcountry - Atlanta Journal Constitution - August 10th, 2020
- Islands of Ireland: Small islands, big ambitions - Irish Examiner - August 10th, 2020
- Second-Annual Garden Island bodyboarding a success - Thegardenisland.com - August 10th, 2020
- Waterfowl Hunting Permits Available for Deal Island, Fairmount - The Southern Maryland Chronicle - August 10th, 2020
- Why 'Renovation Island' Hosts Bryan and Sarah Baeumler Will Never Become the Next Chip and Joanna Gaines of HGTV - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 10th, 2020
- Island Fights greatest: 10 fighters who reached the highest stage after Island Fights - Pensacola News Journal - August 10th, 2020
- Discovering Lastovo, Croatia's Southernmost Inhabited Island - Total Croatia News - August 10th, 2020
- DNR: Conservation officer rescues two men stranded near an island - KESQ - August 10th, 2020
- Grand Island football team in quarantine; one staffer tests positive for coronavirus - Omaha World-Herald - August 10th, 2020
- Nuclear watchdog opposes any agreement that would transfer ownership of Three Mile Island Unit 2 - LancasterOnline - August 10th, 2020
- No flight required: 10 island escapes you can drive to - USA Today 10Best - August 9th, 2020
- Grand Island School district expects technical devices will be in high demand as more students learn remotely - WIVB.com - News 4 - August 9th, 2020
- Community Health Action of Staten Island distributes boxes of fresh free food from Fresh Direct - SILive.com - August 9th, 2020
- Five new bridges leading to Deira Islands open to traffic - The National - August 8th, 2020
- Head of island police station to be removed over lax virus checks | Kathimerini - www.ekathimerini.com - August 8th, 2020