NORTHAMPTON Hundreds of donated, discarded and abandoned bicycles stacked inside a large shipping container behind the Florence Community Center over Labor Day weekend will soon be making an Atlantic Ocean voyage to Trinidad.
After twice spending weeks volunteering on a rural farm, growing crops like hot peppers and wild yam, RuthyWoodring of Florence saw firsthand how getting more bicycles to the island nation known as Trinidad and Tobago could better the lives of families.
Its transportation, its health, and its an economic benefit to have people making a living by fixing bikes, Woodring says of what she has dubbed the Trinidad Bicycles Osmosis Project.
The project began in spring 2019 when Woodring got back from Moruga, a region on the south coast of Trinidad where she had used a machete as a primary farming implement during the international work exchange Workaway program.
Woodring, a co-founder of the Pedal People in Northampton, said the bicycles arent perfect, but are ideal for her project. Some have broken brake pads or are missing the brake set altogether. Many have flat tires, and others have frozen seat posts so they can no longer be adjusted up or down to meet the size of the rider.
Most of the bikes have all their parts, they just need a little labor, Woodring said.
That will come when the shipping container arrives around Oct. 1. I have an import partner there who will store them and fix them up and then sell them at affordable prices, Woodring said.
The bicycles have been collected since May 2019 and have arrived in a number of ways, such as being left in downtown Northampton, or spared just before being turned into scrap metal.
Hey, can I have that? Woodring recalled shouting when seeing bicycles about to be thrown out.
Woodring also organized a formal bike drive at Smith Vocational and Agricultural School last November and worked with officials at Mount Holyoke and Amherst colleges to obtain some bicycles not taken home by students. However, on the University of Massachusetts campus last year, she got into trouble with police for unauthorized removal of bicycles after students took off for the summer.
In addition, she attended a bicycle auction by Springfield Police, bidding $888 to buy 65 bicycles, which came at the same time she was fending off the larceny charges from UMass, she said.
Since she obtained the bicycles, they have been kept with a friend in Holyoke, who allowed her to store 160 of them. Another 140 bicycles were stored in the basement of friend Paige Bridgens, and another 70 made it to a barn off Sylvester Road.
Though the project was long planned, until late August Woodring had no idea where she would be able to fill the shipping container, learning that it was impossible to park it on a residential street. It was fortuitous, then, that while discussing her project on a Valley Free Radio program, Robert Gougeon, who owns Florence Towing and the community center building where the stations studio is, was willing to have it parked at the back of the lot, a perfect spot due to the space it provided and the shade.
About 30 volunteers have helped her over the course of three days to get the bicycles into the 40-foot-long Mediterranean Shipping Co. cargo vessel.
As each item is loaded, a careful inventory is taken. For the bicycles, seats, which could be damaged in transit, are removed, as are the pedals, which could get hung up.
For Stan Pollack, who dropped off a trailer filled with bicycles that came from the Bike Lab on Northern Avenue, Woodrings project is ideal.
It amazes me how were such a throwaway society, Pollack said, before heading out to get more bicycles.
Chase Walker and Carson Smith met Woodring on the farm in Trinidad and came up from Georgia to participate in the final step.
She said she needed help, and here we are, said Walker, who is from Atlanta.
Walker said a best friend at the farm biked all the time, illustrating that the bicycles will be put to great use.
Smith, of Marietta, Georgia, said that in her three months at the farm, she saw small children riding bicycles that were too big for them.
It will be really awesome. People will enjoy these bicycles, Smith said.
Smith said the generosity locally is remarkable.Its really inspiring to see the community give to this, Smith said.
Jon Liebman of Northampton said he had talked to Woodring for months about the project and assisted in breaking down the bicycles and packing them. People need bikes around the world, Liebman said.
Woodring said she finds it unfortunate that American culture doesnt value repairing bicycles.
If I spend five hours working on a bike, this bike can last me 15 to 20 more years, she said.
In addition to the bicycles, household goods, such as a refrigerator, washing machine and mattresses, are being put into the shipping container.
A tractor-trailer truck will drive it to the port of Boston where it will be loaded onto the RONIT container ship. Once docked in Trinidad, her import partner 15 minutes from the farm will manage the distribution of the items. She hopes to use sales of bikes there as seed money, and reimbursement, for the next shipping container that will go out.
Woodring said there are significant costs to the project, including $1,200 to get to Boston, and possibly more than $10,000 to complete the mission. While she did a GoFundMe fundraiser, she is covering a sizable portion of the project from an inheritance after paying off her house mortgage, she said.
She also got assistance from the Bikes Not Bombs organization.
Im super grateful for their support. People have donated a lot of bikes, Woodring said.
Read this article:
- April Freely Appointed Executive Director of Fire Island Artist Residency - Artforum - October 19th, 2020
- UFC Fight Island 6 Bonus Coverage - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - October 19th, 2020
- Do not be pressured to expose our island - The Garden Island - October 19th, 2020
- Joint Statement from the Citizens for Eagle Island and The Howard Hughes Corporation - hellowoodlands.com - October 19th, 2020
- On Brazils Island of Cats, Virus Led to Starvation - VOA Learning English - October 19th, 2020
- Donor offers $250K for lighthouse work near Mackinac Island, now its a race against winter - MLive.com - October 19th, 2020
- Rock Island High hosts public forums on renovations - WHBF - OurQuadCities.com - October 19th, 2020
- The Third Day Theory: Helen Is The Mother Of Osea Island - Screen Rant - October 19th, 2020
- 19th Street drowning is Tybee Islands 5th this year, officials say - WSAV-TV - October 19th, 2020
- Love Island's Curtis Pritchard and Amy Hart reunite during recording of his new podcast - Digital Spy - October 19th, 2020
- Staten Island Home of the Week: Castle-like estate, overlooking the entire island, $5.5M - SILive.com - October 19th, 2020
- Bucket brigade: Lack of water hampers response as Bondis Island Agawam landfill fire smolders for 3rd day - MassLive.com - October 19th, 2020
- 'Love Island' Winners Justine and Caleb Reunite and Theyre Just The Cutest - Essence - October 19th, 2020
- Touchless bathrooms, UV lights, HEPA filters: Rogers Coney Island unveils safety-influenced renovations - Fall River Herald News - October 19th, 2020
- Love Island USA winners reunite for relationship update - Digital Spy - October 19th, 2020
- Inter-island travel to return for Kauai, Honolulu, Maui, while Hawaii County opts-out - KHON2 - October 19th, 2020
- Providencia: An island with a 'sea of seven colours' - BBC News - October 19th, 2020
- Wish Upon a Food Truck Festival kicks off Saturday on City Island - ABC27 - September 18th, 2020
- A journalist's death stunned a small Island nation and ignited a fight for truth and justice - NBC News - September 18th, 2020
- Ice Age Cave Bear Found Preserved in Permafrost on Siberian Island - Smithsonian Magazine - September 18th, 2020
- Staten Island mom becomes a TikTok star with her videos about food, parenting advice - silive.com - September 18th, 2020
- Hunters fight off reported grizzly bear near Island Park - East Idaho News - September 18th, 2020
- Going green: Governors Island could soon house climate center - The Real Deal - September 18th, 2020
- Island Coast High School student arrested for texting threats to teacher - Wink News - September 18th, 2020
- Dream Honeymoons: Get Thee to an Island - My New Orleans - September 18th, 2020
- Jane Rogers position terminated -- for now -- by the Staten Island Yankees - SILive.com - September 18th, 2020
- David Robinson was left on an island during the 1995 Western Conference Finals - Pounding The Rock - September 18th, 2020
- Love Island USA: Season 2 Episode 22 TV Schedule, Streaming Options & Recap - Screen Rant - September 18th, 2020
- Staten Island Shakespearean Theatre embraces facial coverings in 'The Two Gentlemen of Verona production - SILive.com - September 18th, 2020
- Some Island kids return to in-person learning - Martha's Vineyard Times - September 18th, 2020
- BREAKING: Universal Studios Florida, Islands of Adventure, and Volcano Bay Theme Parks All Currently Closed at Capacity - wdwnt.com - September 8th, 2020
- OBITUARY: Janice Elaine Austin Lee, 85, of Merritt Island Passed Away on August 27 - SpaceCoastDaily.com - September 8th, 2020
- 'They're so vulnerable': Coronavirus hits tribes of isolated Andaman Islands - NBC News - September 8th, 2020
- Five forgotten Greek islands to visit right now - Telegraph.co.uk - September 8th, 2020
- Staten Island Mall reopens Wednesday: What you need to know - SILive.com - September 8th, 2020
- South Padre Island businesses picking up over Labor Day weekend - KGBT-TV - September 8th, 2020
- Small Demonstration Against Temptation Island Filming Urges Government Leaders to Protect Hawaii - Maui Now - September 8th, 2020
- Love Has Won escorted to airport - Thegardenisland.com - September 8th, 2020
- Opinion: Want to Re-Think New York City? Start with Rikers Island. - City Limits - September 8th, 2020
- Guam records island's youngest coronavirus-related fatality over Labor Day weekend - Stars and Stripes - September 8th, 2020
- Amended orders: Inter-island travel restrictions eased among most islands - EyeWitness News - September 8th, 2020
- The best hotels on the British and Channel islands | Telegraph Travel - The Telegraph - September 8th, 2020
- Oak Island aimed for an 'impossibly fast' reopening. Was it too rushed? - Port City Daily - September 8th, 2020
- Chief Read: Island weathered the storm well with a good response in restoring power - Shelter Island - Shelter Island Reporter - August 10th, 2020
- Cameron: The City Island Monorail - CT Examiner - August 10th, 2020
- Full List of Big Island Primary Election Results - Big Island Now - August 10th, 2020
- This Day In History, August 10th, 2020 - "Last Island Hurricane" - Signals AZ - August 10th, 2020
- Mediapro Supplies OneSoccer With Broadcast Infrastructure of CPL The Island Games Tournament - Sports Video Group - August 10th, 2020
- Car crash on Block Island kills teen, seriously injures another - The Providence Journal - August 10th, 2020
- Eddie Hearn Has Boxing's Answer to the UFC's Fight Island - Sportscasting - August 10th, 2020
- Solid Waste Division OT over budget again | The Garden Island - Thegardenisland.com - August 10th, 2020
- Mercer Island Thrift Shop, recycling center renovations to take longer - Mercer Island Reporter - August 10th, 2020
- 8 outdoor workouts across the North Fork and Shelter Island to keep you happy and fit - Northforker - August 10th, 2020
- China Is Counting On Island Outposts To Project PowerBut U.S. Troops Could Capture Them - Forbes - August 10th, 2020
- TV tonight: A beautiful trip to the Galpagos Islands - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- Missing sailors stranded on Pacific island saved by giant SOS in the sand - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- 11 Things To Know Before Visiting Channel Islands National Park - TravelAwaits - August 10th, 2020
- Couple who live on old Ellis Island ferryboat launches S.I. tours - SILive.com - August 10th, 2020
- OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR News Release Governor Ige reinstating partial inter-island travel quarantine - David Y. Ige | Newsroom - August 10th, 2020
- 4 private islands for rent within driving distance from Atlanta - Atlanta Journal Constitution - August 10th, 2020
- No flight required: 10 island escapes in the US that you can drive to - USA TODAY - August 10th, 2020
- "Once On This Island" Adaptation to be Developed for Disney+ - wdwnt.com - August 10th, 2020
- Sunsets on Cape Cod and the islands are beautiful this summer. Here are 20 reader-submitted photos to prove it. - Boston.com - August 10th, 2020
- Exploring the vast, rolling hills of the Faroe Islands - Far Out Magazine - August 10th, 2020
- Daufuskie Island offers a taste of the simple life in the Lowcountry - Atlanta Journal Constitution - August 10th, 2020
- Islands of Ireland: Small islands, big ambitions - Irish Examiner - August 10th, 2020
- Second-Annual Garden Island bodyboarding a success - Thegardenisland.com - August 10th, 2020
- Waterfowl Hunting Permits Available for Deal Island, Fairmount - The Southern Maryland Chronicle - August 10th, 2020
- Why 'Renovation Island' Hosts Bryan and Sarah Baeumler Will Never Become the Next Chip and Joanna Gaines of HGTV - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 10th, 2020
- Island Fights greatest: 10 fighters who reached the highest stage after Island Fights - Pensacola News Journal - August 10th, 2020
- Discovering Lastovo, Croatia's Southernmost Inhabited Island - Total Croatia News - August 10th, 2020
- DNR: Conservation officer rescues two men stranded near an island - KESQ - August 10th, 2020
- Grand Island football team in quarantine; one staffer tests positive for coronavirus - Omaha World-Herald - August 10th, 2020
- Nuclear watchdog opposes any agreement that would transfer ownership of Three Mile Island Unit 2 - LancasterOnline - August 10th, 2020
- No flight required: 10 island escapes you can drive to - USA Today 10Best - August 9th, 2020
- Grand Island School district expects technical devices will be in high demand as more students learn remotely - WIVB.com - News 4 - August 9th, 2020
- Community Health Action of Staten Island distributes boxes of fresh free food from Fresh Direct - SILive.com - August 9th, 2020
- Five new bridges leading to Deira Islands open to traffic - The National - August 8th, 2020
- Head of island police station to be removed over lax virus checks | Kathimerini - www.ekathimerini.com - August 8th, 2020
- Still without power? Con Ed giving away dry ice at Staten Island Mall Saturday - silive.com - August 8th, 2020