The UFCs fight island has been very successful, and now, other organizations are looking to copy its success. Boxing, as a sport, usually leads the way, but now, boxing may follow in the UFCs footsteps. Heres a look at boxing promoter Eddie Hearns Fight Camp, which takes after Fight Island in many ways.
The UFC needed a place where anyone in the world could fly to and fight in, and that place was a private island in Abu Dhabi called Yas Island. While the UFC has hosted events in Abu Dhabi before, the idea of hosting events on a private island was simply new at the time, and many UFC fans were curious about what itd look like.
As it turns out, a fight on Fight Island looks about the same as a fight in any other place in the world. Regardless, thanks to the novelty of this idea, as well as to the many talented fighters who flew to fight on Fight Island, the events on Fight Island were a massive success.
Fans were simply hyped to see Jorge Masvidal fight Kamaru Usman, and many fans paid to see it happen. This success has encouraged the UFC to host more events on Fight Island, but at the same time, its also encouraged the boxing world to try the same thing, sort of.
RELATED: The UFCs Fight Island Is Still Happening
Like ESPN reported, Eddie Hearn, a promoter for Matchroom Boxing, has created Fight Camp, which is not on an island but rather, in the backyard of Hearns former home.
Located in England, Fight Camp features an outdoors boxing ring. While that sounds simple, ESPN wrote that Hearn and his team spent over $1 million to build up the infrastructure for Fight Camp.
Thats because a lot of stuff is necessary behind the scenes in order to make Fight Camp a reality. This includes room for the TV crew to stay and work in, as well as structures to protect the arena from the elements.
As far as safety goes, there will be plenty of testing going on, according to ESPN. Fight Camp will also be using a nearby hotel where boxers will stay and train in. Additionally, since its an outdoors arena, ESPN reported that, When its outdoors it reduces the risk of infection. Furthermore, Hearn said that hes restricted the number of people who will be present at the events.
While building Fight Camp was a massive undertaking, Hearn told ESPN that it actually was kind of easy. He said, Its actually been a bit easier than going to a venue because we can create exactly what we want on our own doorstep.
RELATED: How Much Is Floyd Mayweathers Net Worth?
The whole purpose of Fight Camp is to host boxing events, and ESPN said that Hearn has planned four, five-fight events for Fight Camp. The first event on Fight Camp happened on August 1st, and it was headlined by a title fight between Ted Cheeseman and Sam Eggington. Cheeseman smashed Eggington to win the IBF International light-middleweight title.
According to DAZN, the next fight camp will happen on August 14th, and the final one will be on August 22nd. The fight on the 14th will be headlined by a clash between Felix Cash and Jason Welborn for the Commonwealth middleweight belt.
The other Fight Camp will be headlined by a heavyweight battle between Dillian Whyte and Alexander Povetkin. The winner of this bout will more than likely get a big fight against either Tyson Fury or Deontay Wilder, according to ESPN.
- Wish Upon a Food Truck Festival kicks off Saturday on City Island - ABC27 - September 18th, 2020
- A journalist's death stunned a small Island nation and ignited a fight for truth and justice - NBC News - September 18th, 2020
- Ice Age Cave Bear Found Preserved in Permafrost on Siberian Island - Smithsonian Magazine - September 18th, 2020
- Staten Island mom becomes a TikTok star with her videos about food, parenting advice - silive.com - September 18th, 2020
- Hunters fight off reported grizzly bear near Island Park - East Idaho News - September 18th, 2020
- Going green: Governors Island could soon house climate center - The Real Deal - September 18th, 2020
- Island Coast High School student arrested for texting threats to teacher - Wink News - September 18th, 2020
- Dream Honeymoons: Get Thee to an Island - My New Orleans - September 18th, 2020
- Jane Rogers position terminated -- for now -- by the Staten Island Yankees - SILive.com - September 18th, 2020
- David Robinson was left on an island during the 1995 Western Conference Finals - Pounding The Rock - September 18th, 2020
- Love Island USA: Season 2 Episode 22 TV Schedule, Streaming Options & Recap - Screen Rant - September 18th, 2020
- Staten Island Shakespearean Theatre embraces facial coverings in 'The Two Gentlemen of Verona production - SILive.com - September 18th, 2020
- Some Island kids return to in-person learning - Martha's Vineyard Times - September 18th, 2020
- BREAKING: Universal Studios Florida, Islands of Adventure, and Volcano Bay Theme Parks All Currently Closed at Capacity - wdwnt.com - September 8th, 2020
- OBITUARY: Janice Elaine Austin Lee, 85, of Merritt Island Passed Away on August 27 - SpaceCoastDaily.com - September 8th, 2020
- 'They're so vulnerable': Coronavirus hits tribes of isolated Andaman Islands - NBC News - September 8th, 2020
- Five forgotten Greek islands to visit right now - Telegraph.co.uk - September 8th, 2020
- Fixer uppers: Used bike project to benefit Caribbean island - GazetteNET - September 8th, 2020
- Staten Island Mall reopens Wednesday: What you need to know - SILive.com - September 8th, 2020
- South Padre Island businesses picking up over Labor Day weekend - KGBT-TV - September 8th, 2020
- Small Demonstration Against Temptation Island Filming Urges Government Leaders to Protect Hawaii - Maui Now - September 8th, 2020
- Love Has Won escorted to airport - Thegardenisland.com - September 8th, 2020
- Opinion: Want to Re-Think New York City? Start with Rikers Island. - City Limits - September 8th, 2020
- Guam records island's youngest coronavirus-related fatality over Labor Day weekend - Stars and Stripes - September 8th, 2020
- Amended orders: Inter-island travel restrictions eased among most islands - EyeWitness News - September 8th, 2020
- The best hotels on the British and Channel islands | Telegraph Travel - The Telegraph - September 8th, 2020
- Oak Island aimed for an 'impossibly fast' reopening. Was it too rushed? - Port City Daily - September 8th, 2020
- Chief Read: Island weathered the storm well with a good response in restoring power - Shelter Island - Shelter Island Reporter - August 10th, 2020
- Cameron: The City Island Monorail - CT Examiner - August 10th, 2020
- Full List of Big Island Primary Election Results - Big Island Now - August 10th, 2020
- This Day In History, August 10th, 2020 - "Last Island Hurricane" - Signals AZ - August 10th, 2020
- Mediapro Supplies OneSoccer With Broadcast Infrastructure of CPL The Island Games Tournament - Sports Video Group - August 10th, 2020
- Car crash on Block Island kills teen, seriously injures another - The Providence Journal - August 10th, 2020
- Solid Waste Division OT over budget again | The Garden Island - Thegardenisland.com - August 10th, 2020
- Mercer Island Thrift Shop, recycling center renovations to take longer - Mercer Island Reporter - August 10th, 2020
- 8 outdoor workouts across the North Fork and Shelter Island to keep you happy and fit - Northforker - August 10th, 2020
- China Is Counting On Island Outposts To Project PowerBut U.S. Troops Could Capture Them - Forbes - August 10th, 2020
- TV tonight: A beautiful trip to the Galpagos Islands - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- Missing sailors stranded on Pacific island saved by giant SOS in the sand - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- 11 Things To Know Before Visiting Channel Islands National Park - TravelAwaits - August 10th, 2020
- Couple who live on old Ellis Island ferryboat launches S.I. tours - SILive.com - August 10th, 2020
- OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR News Release Governor Ige reinstating partial inter-island travel quarantine - David Y. Ige | Newsroom - August 10th, 2020
- 4 private islands for rent within driving distance from Atlanta - Atlanta Journal Constitution - August 10th, 2020
- No flight required: 10 island escapes in the US that you can drive to - USA TODAY - August 10th, 2020
- "Once On This Island" Adaptation to be Developed for Disney+ - wdwnt.com - August 10th, 2020
- Sunsets on Cape Cod and the islands are beautiful this summer. Here are 20 reader-submitted photos to prove it. - Boston.com - August 10th, 2020
- Exploring the vast, rolling hills of the Faroe Islands - Far Out Magazine - August 10th, 2020
- Daufuskie Island offers a taste of the simple life in the Lowcountry - Atlanta Journal Constitution - August 10th, 2020
- Islands of Ireland: Small islands, big ambitions - Irish Examiner - August 10th, 2020
- Second-Annual Garden Island bodyboarding a success - Thegardenisland.com - August 10th, 2020
- Waterfowl Hunting Permits Available for Deal Island, Fairmount - The Southern Maryland Chronicle - August 10th, 2020
- Why 'Renovation Island' Hosts Bryan and Sarah Baeumler Will Never Become the Next Chip and Joanna Gaines of HGTV - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 10th, 2020
- Island Fights greatest: 10 fighters who reached the highest stage after Island Fights - Pensacola News Journal - August 10th, 2020
- Discovering Lastovo, Croatia's Southernmost Inhabited Island - Total Croatia News - August 10th, 2020
- DNR: Conservation officer rescues two men stranded near an island - KESQ - August 10th, 2020
- Grand Island football team in quarantine; one staffer tests positive for coronavirus - Omaha World-Herald - August 10th, 2020
- Nuclear watchdog opposes any agreement that would transfer ownership of Three Mile Island Unit 2 - LancasterOnline - August 10th, 2020
- No flight required: 10 island escapes you can drive to - USA Today 10Best - August 9th, 2020
- Grand Island School district expects technical devices will be in high demand as more students learn remotely - WIVB.com - News 4 - August 9th, 2020
- Community Health Action of Staten Island distributes boxes of fresh free food from Fresh Direct - SILive.com - August 9th, 2020
- Five new bridges leading to Deira Islands open to traffic - The National - August 8th, 2020
- Head of island police station to be removed over lax virus checks | Kathimerini - www.ekathimerini.com - August 8th, 2020
- Still without power? Con Ed giving away dry ice at Staten Island Mall Saturday - silive.com - August 8th, 2020
- Big Island Weekly Road Closures: Aug. 8-14 - Big Island Now - August 8th, 2020
- Hallmarks Love on Harbor Island: Where It's Filmed & Cast - Heavy.com - August 8th, 2020
- Public records lawsuit against city of Bainbridge Island dismissed - Kitsap Sun - August 8th, 2020
- Access granted: Halifax harbour's Georges Island opens to the public - Global News - August 8th, 2020
- Big Island Weekend Closures: Aug. 7-9 - Big Island Now - August 8th, 2020
- From Manus Island to Melbourne: we do not even know what we are being punished for - The Guardian - August 8th, 2020
- Heritage Museum launches a walking tour exhibit - Vashon-Maury Island Beachcomber - August 8th, 2020
- Galveston Island Humane Society's pets of the week - Galveston County Daily News - August 8th, 2020
- UFC Fighters, Staff, and Journalists Couldn't Help But Love Fight Island - Sportscasting - August 8th, 2020
- Aquidneck Island Open Houses: 14 homes to tour this weekend - What'sUpNewp - August 8th, 2020
- Authorities tell people to leave Oak Island, declaring much of it unsafe after Isaias - WRAL.com - August 5th, 2020
- Hatteras Island, Ocracoke Island reopen to residents and vendors; minimal damage from Isaias - WAVY.com - August 5th, 2020
- Vacation-rental agreement a good thing for island - Thegardenisland.com - August 5th, 2020
- Rock Island-Milan School District to begin school year with full remote learning - WHBF - OurQuadCities.com - August 5th, 2020
- Metlakatla resident diagnosed with COVID-19 is off-island in Juneau, local officials say - KRBD - August 5th, 2020
- The 10 best dream Islands to visit in Animal Crossing: New Horizons - iMore - August 5th, 2020
- Tornado watch issued for Staten Island on Tuesday - SILive.com - August 5th, 2020