The postmortems of how PSEG handled the effect of Tropical Storm Isaias on Long Island had it doing a poor job of clearing wires and restoring power.
But PSEG managed Shelter Islands emergency well, as it has over the past several years when storms struck. Power was restored to almost all Island customers who had lost it on the afternoon of Tuesday, Aug. 4, when high winds blowing 30 to 35 mph and gusting as high as 60 mph knocked down trees, which carried power lines with them to the ground.
At one point PSEG reported that 771 customers had lost power on the Island, but Shelter Island Police Chief Jim Read, who is the emergency manager coordinator of the town, disputed that figure. It was just one instance where the power company had a communication failure, not just here, but all over Long Island.
Chief Red said the communication breakdown by PSEG for the Island was mostly in the pre-storm hours. But once the emergency event was underway, and during its aftermath, from Aug. 4 to Friday, Aug. 7, PSEG and the town were on the same page.
Compared to other communities, PSEG did a great job on Shelter Island, the chief said. He gave one example of the IGA losing power, but having it restored in about an hour.
PSEG had deployed emergency clean-up crews to the Island on Tuesday, well before the storm hit around 2 p.m., and Chief Read and his emergency mnagement team coordinated with them.
We made quick decisions, like assigning our officers to the PSEG crews and assisting them with high priority issues, he said.
It was a busy afternoon for first responders. There were well over 200 calls to the towns emergency Operations center, the chief said, regarding downed trees and wires, power outages and fires. The Shelter Island Fire Department responded to five emergencies a transformer, a generator, smoke in a basement, a brush fire and live wires in the road.
Thankfully, There were no medical emergencies during the storm, Chief Read said.
But, as efficient and positive as it was on Shelter Island even with many Islanders inconvenienced it was a different story for many parts of Long Island.
In all, in the immediate aftermath of the storm, PSEG reported more than 420,000 residences and businesses went dark across Long Island, and Isaias brought down 3,000 trees.
The Suffolk Times reported that on Monday, Aug. 10, nearly a week after the storm left the area, There are currently about 800 outages across Southold and Riverhead towns, with the final repairs estimated to be completed by 11 a.m. Tuesday, according to the outage map. No local outages are estimated to be repaired by tonight.
Just across the water, however, it was a different story. Chief Read said that, on Shelter Island, Broadly speaking, PSEG had a great response.
Read the original:
- Cutthroat Island, One Of The Biggest Flops Ever, Discovers To Be Rediscovered 25 Years Later - Forbes - December 22nd, 2020
- Island Fin Pok will open a new Tampa Bay location in 2021 - Creative Loafing Tampa - December 22nd, 2020
- First doses of coronavirus vaccine administered in Staten Island nursing home - SILive.com - December 22nd, 2020
- On Our Island: Nonprofit highlights of the week - Long Island Business News - December 22nd, 2020
- Roughly 15K still without power on Vancouver Island after snowfall - CTV Edmonton - December 22nd, 2020
- New in 2021: Coney Island's new floating obstacle course will be largest of its kind - WLWT Cincinnati - December 22nd, 2020
- Ghost Of Tsushima Fans Save Torii Gate On Real-World Tsushima Island - Screen Rant - December 22nd, 2020
- The Burnt Island Light shines again! - PenBayPilot.com - December 22nd, 2020
- RCMP investigating sudden death of toddler on Vancouver Island - CBC.ca - December 22nd, 2020
- Love Island's Amber Gill reacts to Dubai criticism amid Tier 4 - digitalspy.com - December 22nd, 2020
- Mannar Island is a bird paradise that survived Sri Lanka's civil war. Now an Australian mining company wants its sand - ABC News - December 22nd, 2020
- Everything You Need to Know About Indian Creek Island, Miami's Most Exclusive Enclave - TownandCountrymag.com - December 22nd, 2020
- Little penguins active on West Island near Victor Harbor for first time in seven years - ABC News - December 22nd, 2020
- Christmas lights 2020: A guide to 15 beautiful Staten Island holiday house decorations - silive.com - December 5th, 2020
- Permits Filed for 2910 West 15th Street in Coney Island, Brooklyn - New York YIMBY - December 5th, 2020
- Giraffes Stranded on Island Saved by Floating Rescue Mission - TMZ - December 5th, 2020
- Fraser Island, a unique Australian ecosystem, is on fire as parts of the country swelter through record heat wave - CNN - December 5th, 2020
- National Guard extended through end of March - The Garden Island - December 5th, 2020
- Why is there a long line in the Staten Island Mall? - SILive.com - December 5th, 2020
- New Zealand officials file charges over deadly White Island volcano eruption - CNN - December 5th, 2020
- Macs Public House owner taken away in handcuffs as business protests dining mandates - SILive.com - December 5th, 2020
- Rediscovering The Brothers islands - CBC.ca - December 5th, 2020
- World islands Dubai developer to start handover of units in December - Arab News - December 5th, 2020
- Air Force To Build Alternate Airbase On Tinian Island In Case Guam Gets Knocked Out - The Drive - December 5th, 2020
- As first Noreaster of the season passes by, heavy rain hits Staten Island - SILive.com - December 5th, 2020
- NC Hazard Mitigation Team headed to Ocracoke Next Week - Island Free Press - December 5th, 2020
- GTA Online's New Island Location: Can You Go There Outside of Heists? - Screen Rant - December 5th, 2020
- Staten Island teacher accused of masturbating during virtual class - SILive.com - December 5th, 2020
- Feds approve sale of Three Mile Island amid concern about new owners ability to pay for decommissioning - PennLive - December 5th, 2020
- Jellyfish stings on the rise off Palm Island, as summer brings bluebottles and Irukandji - ABC News - December 5th, 2020
- St. Paul Island has no confirmed cases of COVID-19, but the community isn't letting down its guard - Alaska Public Media News - November 19th, 2020
- Number of Illegal Migrants Reaching Canary Islands on the Rise Amid COVID-19 - SchengenVisaInfo.com - November 19th, 2020
- Three players at Sea Island test positive for COVID-19 - ESPN - November 19th, 2020
- Mercer Island teen behind international COVID-19 data website tests positive for virus - KING5.com - November 19th, 2020
- An Iceberg the Size of South Georgia Island is on a Collision Course with South Georgia Island - Universe Today - November 19th, 2020
- The US's plans to keep a foothold against China in the Pacific have 'one huge blind spot' - Business Insider - Business Insider - November 19th, 2020
- Staten Island artists recognized for work in diversity, justice as part of 2020 Creative Climate Awards - SILive.com - November 19th, 2020
- On Horse Island, students take regenerative design 'off the grid' - Yale News - November 19th, 2020
- COVID-19 Is Reaching the Last Coronavirus-Free Nations on Earth - TIME - November 19th, 2020
- Avoiding storms and sea monsters on an impromptu paddle to Fishers Island - theday.com - November 19th, 2020
- Queer-Inclusive The Wilds Trailer Has Teen Girls on a Deserted Island - Advocate.com - November 19th, 2020
- Staten Island obituaries for Nov. 18, 2020 - SILive.com - November 19th, 2020
- Staten Island schools begin weekly coronavirus testing: What you need to know - silive.com - November 19th, 2020
- Shelter Island Reporter Letters to the Editor: Nov. 12-Nov. 19 - Shelter Island Reporter - November 19th, 2020
- Blue whales are returning to a tiny island in the sub-Antarctic 50 years after whaling in the region brought - Business Insider India - November 19th, 2020
- Hatteras Island power supply much more stable now - The Coastland Times - The Coastland Times - November 19th, 2020
- Billionaire William Gross Accused Of Blasting Gilligans Island Theme Song In Neighbor Dispute - CBS Los Angeles - November 19th, 2020
- Rowena Pagan and team help feed the houseless community - The Garden Island - November 19th, 2020
- April Freely Appointed Executive Director of Fire Island Artist Residency - Artforum - October 19th, 2020
- UFC Fight Island 6 Bonus Coverage - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - October 19th, 2020
- Do not be pressured to expose our island - The Garden Island - October 19th, 2020
- Joint Statement from the Citizens for Eagle Island and The Howard Hughes Corporation - hellowoodlands.com - October 19th, 2020
- On Brazils Island of Cats, Virus Led to Starvation - VOA Learning English - October 19th, 2020
- Donor offers $250K for lighthouse work near Mackinac Island, now its a race against winter - MLive.com - October 19th, 2020
- Rock Island High hosts public forums on renovations - WHBF - OurQuadCities.com - October 19th, 2020
- The Third Day Theory: Helen Is The Mother Of Osea Island - Screen Rant - October 19th, 2020
- 19th Street drowning is Tybee Islands 5th this year, officials say - WSAV-TV - October 19th, 2020
- Love Island's Curtis Pritchard and Amy Hart reunite during recording of his new podcast - Digital Spy - October 19th, 2020
- Staten Island Home of the Week: Castle-like estate, overlooking the entire island, $5.5M - SILive.com - October 19th, 2020
- Bucket brigade: Lack of water hampers response as Bondis Island Agawam landfill fire smolders for 3rd day - MassLive.com - October 19th, 2020
- 'Love Island' Winners Justine and Caleb Reunite and Theyre Just The Cutest - Essence - October 19th, 2020
- Touchless bathrooms, UV lights, HEPA filters: Rogers Coney Island unveils safety-influenced renovations - Fall River Herald News - October 19th, 2020
- Love Island USA winners reunite for relationship update - Digital Spy - October 19th, 2020
- Inter-island travel to return for Kauai, Honolulu, Maui, while Hawaii County opts-out - KHON2 - October 19th, 2020
- Providencia: An island with a 'sea of seven colours' - BBC News - October 19th, 2020
- Wish Upon a Food Truck Festival kicks off Saturday on City Island - ABC27 - September 18th, 2020
- A journalist's death stunned a small Island nation and ignited a fight for truth and justice - NBC News - September 18th, 2020
- Ice Age Cave Bear Found Preserved in Permafrost on Siberian Island - Smithsonian Magazine - September 18th, 2020
- Staten Island mom becomes a TikTok star with her videos about food, parenting advice - silive.com - September 18th, 2020
- Hunters fight off reported grizzly bear near Island Park - East Idaho News - September 18th, 2020
- Going green: Governors Island could soon house climate center - The Real Deal - September 18th, 2020
- Island Coast High School student arrested for texting threats to teacher - Wink News - September 18th, 2020
- Dream Honeymoons: Get Thee to an Island - My New Orleans - September 18th, 2020
- Jane Rogers position terminated -- for now -- by the Staten Island Yankees - SILive.com - September 18th, 2020
- David Robinson was left on an island during the 1995 Western Conference Finals - Pounding The Rock - September 18th, 2020
- Love Island USA: Season 2 Episode 22 TV Schedule, Streaming Options & Recap - Screen Rant - September 18th, 2020
- Staten Island Shakespearean Theatre embraces facial coverings in 'The Two Gentlemen of Verona production - SILive.com - September 18th, 2020
- Some Island kids return to in-person learning - Martha's Vineyard Times - September 18th, 2020
- BREAKING: Universal Studios Florida, Islands of Adventure, and Volcano Bay Theme Parks All Currently Closed at Capacity - wdwnt.com - September 8th, 2020
- OBITUARY: Janice Elaine Austin Lee, 85, of Merritt Island Passed Away on August 27 - SpaceCoastDaily.com - September 8th, 2020