Babies and toddlers were tear gassed by police on the Greek island of Lesbos during a protest by refugees against the conditions in which they are being held.
Volunteers used Coca-Cola to try to wash the tear gas out of the eyes of screaming children after riot police fired tear gas canisters at the peaceful demonstration.
Coca-Cola and similar fizzy drinks are acidic and, like lemon juice and vinegar, can help lessen the effects of tear gas.
The clashes took place after around 2,000 refugees and migrants marched out of the notorious Moria camp on Lesbos with the aim of walking to the islands main town, Mytiline, to stage a protest.
Designed to hold less than 3,000 people, the camp now holds around 19,000, with many living in tents and makeshift shelters in muddy olive groves outside the perimeter fence.
Raw sewage trickles between tents and container accommodation, sacks of rubbish are left uncollected and scabies is widespread, earning Moria the reputation of being Europes grimmest refugee camp.
Afghan and Syrian women held up placards which read Freedom and Moria is a prison for refugees as they headed from the camp towards Mytilene, about five miles away.
When police blocked them, some staged a sit-in on the road while others tried to go round the police lines by scattering through fields and olive groves.
People were attacked with tear gas even though it was peaceful, a British volunteer helping refugees on Lesbos told The Telegraph.
Women and children were beaten by the police. We helped people who had been affected by the gas by giving them Coca-Cola to wash with. People were crying. People collapsed," said the volunteer, who did not want to be identified for fear of repercussions from the authorities.
Franziska Grillmeier, a German journalist working on the island, said: There was a lot of tear gas, it was constant. Fires broke out in the olive groves and firemen had to be called. Everybody who was there was tear gassed, including babies and small children.
Children were crying and in panic they couldnt catch their breath, they had respiratory problems.
The parents brought their babies and kids on the march because there are no safe spaces in the camp in which to leave them.
Dire conditions on Lesbos and four other Aegean islands which host migrant camps have been exacerbated by severe overcrowding and long delays in the processing of asylum applications.
The camps on Lesbos, Chios, Samos, Kos and Leros were built for 5,400 asylum seekers but now accommodate more than 36,000.
The UNs refugee agency said it was deeply concerned about the escalating tensions.
On Lesbos, the vast majority are families from Afghanistan and Syria, over a third are children and many are living in tents and makeshift shelters without access to power, heating or hot water. Its filthy. There arent enough latrines and showers, said Boris Cheshirkov, the UNHCRs spokesman in Greece.
The UN called for Greece to accelerate its plans to transfer thousands of refugees from the overcrowded islands to the Greek mainland.
Greeces asylum service has a backlog of nearly 90,000 pending asylum cases.
The centre-Right government of Kyriakos Mitsotakis has pledged to speed up the repatriation of migrants whose asylum applications have been rejected.
Notis Mitarachi, the minister for migration, wants there to be weekly returns to Turkey of failed asylum applicants in a bid to ease overcrowding on the islands.
Last week it emerged that the government wants to deploy a 1.7 mile-long floating barrier off the coast of Lesbos to deter refugees and migrants crossing from Turkey.
Humanitarian groups said it was dangerous and could lead to more deaths at sea.
Read more from the original source:
- Roosevelt Island Operating Corp. head fired over 'racially and sexually offensive' remarks - New York Post - June 20th, 2020
- Empire Outlets, Staten Island Mall: What Phase 2 means for Staten Island shoppers - SILive.com - June 20th, 2020
- Braised in the South food truck will settle down on Johns Island this summer - Charleston City Paper - June 20th, 2020
- A phased reopening - Thegardenisland.com - June 20th, 2020
- Boch provides a boost for Island charities - Martha's Vineyard Times - June 20th, 2020
- Big Island Road Closures, June 20 to June 26 - Big Island Now - June 20th, 2020
- Diego, the tortoise who saved his entire species, finally retires to uninhabited island - CNN - June 20th, 2020
- Town of Grand Island partners with local agencies to address questions related to solar energy - Niagara Frontier Publications - June 20th, 2020
- UFC fills out first four cards for Fight Island debut in July - ESPN - June 20th, 2020
- The island with a key to our future - BBC News - June 20th, 2020
- Interisland travelers tell all - Thegardenisland.com - June 20th, 2020
- MTM On The Road: A Tour Around Mackinac Island - 9 & 10 News - 9&10 News - June 20th, 2020
- Large mass of grasses creates floating island in Muskegon - WNEM Saginaw - June 20th, 2020
- Love Island's Malin Andersson posts poignant tribute to Sophie Gradon two years after suicide - Mirror Online - June 20th, 2020
- Town Council considering ordinance to require mask wearing on island - Block Island Times - June 20th, 2020
- Think twice before booking off-island travel, says Jersey Consumer Council - ITV News - June 20th, 2020
- UFC 251 -- Which fighter faces the most pressure on Fight Island? - ESPN - June 20th, 2020
- Islands of Ireland: Whiddy in the same boat - Irish Examiner - June 1st, 2020
- Mackinac Island eases into summer season with soft, soft opening - MLive.com - June 1st, 2020
- Watch Rivers Cuomo cover Jesus Christ Superstar song for Islands In The Zoom sessions - NME - June 1st, 2020
- Hundreds gather at Brown's Island: 'We are going to protest peacefully' - wtvr.com - June 1st, 2020
- New COVID-19 case with ties to San Juan Island under investigation - SanJuanIslander.com - June 1st, 2020
- Meet kumu the whitesaddle goatfish - Thegardenisland.com - June 1st, 2020
- Cruise the Greek Islands with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon - The New Yorker - June 1st, 2020
- No new COVID-19 cases reported on Big Island - West Hawaii Today - June 1st, 2020
- Staten Island obituaries for May 31, 2020 - silive.com - June 1st, 2020
- Staten Island ShopRite melee ignites feuding factions on masks in pandemic - silive.com - June 1st, 2020
- Allow Staten Island students to have outdoor graduation ceremonies, city official says - SILive.com - June 1st, 2020
- The island that can save America | TheHill - The Hill - June 1st, 2020
- Long wait to reopen is over for Vancouver Island gyms Vancouver Island Free Daily - vancouverislandfreedaily.com - June 1st, 2020
- A Vancouver Island Road Trip of Crisp Wines and Gigantic Trees - Cond Nast Traveler - May 15th, 2020
- Up-Island towns uneasy about summer influx - Martha's Vineyard Times - May 15th, 2020
- Rock Island County reports another COVID-19 death - Quad City Times - May 15th, 2020
- Kite-surfing and social distancing, but no Sullivans at Castle Island - The Boston Globe - May 15th, 2020
- A grand opening - Thegardenisland.com - May 15th, 2020
- Long before Covid-19, these islands were a refuge from plague - CNN - May 15th, 2020
- Booth doing 'virtual' concert to raise Trooper Island funds - WTVQ - May 15th, 2020
- Love Island's Finley Tapp creates Scottish lockdown survival kit while isolating with Paige Turley - Daily Record - May 15th, 2020
- The Womens Jail at Rikers Island Is Named for My Grandmother. She Would Not Be Proud. - The New York Times - May 15th, 2020
- Top Cuban Official Accuses America Of Committing Acts Of Terrorism Against Island Nation - CBS Miami - May 15th, 2020
- Grand Island Public Schools Foundation launching Give GIPS Week - Grand Island Independent - May 15th, 2020
- District Court judge: City of Bellevue cannot engage in 'island annexation' - Omaha World-Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Rare blue dragons are washing up on the Padre Island National Seashore - CNN - May 15th, 2020
- Staten Island Home of the Week: Privately-gated community with panoramic views, $3M - SILive.com - May 11th, 2020
- Antibody testing begins on the Big Island - West Hawaii Today - May 11th, 2020
- Hardwood logging on Manus Island has not delivered promised local benefits, report finds - The Guardian - May 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus claims 11 more Staten Islanders; more than 2K released from Island hospitals - SILive.com - May 11th, 2020
- South Padre Island properties unphased by COVID-19 housing market, realtor explains - KGBT-TV - May 11th, 2020
- Love Island's Malin Andersson felt 'shame' for staying with abusive ex after he 'beat her up' - Mirror Online - May 11th, 2020
- Love Island 2020 could be set for surprise return this Autumn after cancellation - RadioTimes - May 11th, 2020
- Tunnel to Towers Foundation working to take care of Staten Island - SILive.com - May 11th, 2020
- Staten Island obituaries for May 10, 2020 - SILive.com - May 11th, 2020
- Reveling in the Enigmatic Beauty of Easter Island - The New York Times - May 11th, 2020
- Help for parents and teachers; author gives tips - Shelter Island Reporter - Shelter Island Reporter - May 11th, 2020
- NYC's Coney Island Beach in Cyclone of Confusion for Summer - THE CITY - May 11th, 2020
- Danny Dyer says Love Island is a "pile of s**t" and leaves The Ranganation viewers - digitalspy.com - May 11th, 2020
- Island Luck CEO: No logic or rational in govt. decision making - EyeWitness News - May 11th, 2020
- Staten Island Zoo to host virtual meet and greet with exotic animals: How to attend - SILive.com - May 1st, 2020
- Artists campaign against Bristol Spike Island eviction of Howard Silverman - The Guardian - May 1st, 2020
- Coronavirus: Woman took son to Greek island to 'protect him from COVID-19' - Sky News - May 1st, 2020
- TSB investigation into Island Queen III incident issues three concerns - The Kingston Whig-Standard - May 1st, 2020
- This Tech Conference Is Being Held on an Animal Crossing Island - VICE - May 1st, 2020
- Island COVID-19 confirmed cases rise to 19 - Martha's Vineyard Times - May 1st, 2020
- VIRTUAL TOUR Island Farm: Going back in time to coastal farm life in the 1800s | The Coastland Times - The Coastland Times - May 1st, 2020
- Car thieves flocking to Staten Island during pandemic, many of them repeat offenders - SILive.com - May 1st, 2020
- Coney Island Hospital Treated To Record-Breaking Meal Donation For Staff - BKLYNER - May 1st, 2020
- Analysis: Staten Island has the highest rate of people tested in NYC for COVID-19 - SILive.com - May 1st, 2020
- John Grisham Returns to Camino Island, This Time in Hurricane Season - The New York Times - May 1st, 2020
- Naples, Marco Island beaches to reopen Thursday - Wink News - May 1st, 2020
- New confirmed case brings Island total to 18 - Martha's Vineyard Times - May 1st, 2020
- Grand Island's mayor wants to know how the feds will help, says city 'has paid a price' - Omaha World-Herald - May 1st, 2020
- Pete Davidson & Judd Apatow Movie King of Staten Island Skips Theatrical, Hits VOD This Summer - Deadline - May 1st, 2020
- ITV considers filming Love Island in Cornwall or cancelling series - The Guardian - May 1st, 2020
- Elderly fisherman rescued from Niagara River near Grand Island - Niagara Gazette - May 1st, 2020
- Bali is worlds most Instagrammed island - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - April 28th, 2020
- Staten Island coronavirus hospitalizations hold steady; death toll increases by 23 - SILive.com - April 28th, 2020
- Small Island crews return to work - Martha's Vineyard Times - April 28th, 2020
- Staten Island Sports Hall of Fame will once again honor 4 at annual golf outing - SILive.com - April 28th, 2020
- South Padre Island reopens but some locals think its too soon - KXAN.com - April 28th, 2020
- Grand Island-area residents urged to avoid church services; Health Department worker tests positive - Omaha World-Herald - April 28th, 2020