Babies and toddlers were tear gassed by police on the Greek island of Lesbos during a protest by refugees against the conditions in which they are being held.
Volunteers used Coca-Cola to try to wash the tear gas out of the eyes of screaming children after riot police fired tear gas canisters at the peaceful demonstration.
Coca-Cola and similar fizzy drinks are acidic and, like lemon juice and vinegar, can help lessen the effects of tear gas.
The clashes took place after around 2,000 refugees and migrants marched out of the notorious Moria camp on Lesbos with the aim of walking to the islands main town, Mytiline, to stage a protest.
Designed to hold less than 3,000 people, the camp now holds around 19,000, with many living in tents and makeshift shelters in muddy olive groves outside the perimeter fence.
Raw sewage trickles between tents and container accommodation, sacks of rubbish are left uncollected and scabies is widespread, earning Moria the reputation of being Europes grimmest refugee camp.
Afghan and Syrian women held up placards which read Freedom and Moria is a prison for refugees as they headed from the camp towards Mytilene, about five miles away.
When police blocked them, some staged a sit-in on the road while others tried to go round the police lines by scattering through fields and olive groves.
People were attacked with tear gas even though it was peaceful, a British volunteer helping refugees on Lesbos told The Telegraph.
Women and children were beaten by the police. We helped people who had been affected by the gas by giving them Coca-Cola to wash with. People were crying. People collapsed," said the volunteer, who did not want to be identified for fear of repercussions from the authorities.
Franziska Grillmeier, a German journalist working on the island, said: There was a lot of tear gas, it was constant. Fires broke out in the olive groves and firemen had to be called. Everybody who was there was tear gassed, including babies and small children.
Children were crying and in panic they couldnt catch their breath, they had respiratory problems.
The parents brought their babies and kids on the march because there are no safe spaces in the camp in which to leave them.
Dire conditions on Lesbos and four other Aegean islands which host migrant camps have been exacerbated by severe overcrowding and long delays in the processing of asylum applications.
The camps on Lesbos, Chios, Samos, Kos and Leros were built for 5,400 asylum seekers but now accommodate more than 36,000.
The UNs refugee agency said it was deeply concerned about the escalating tensions.
On Lesbos, the vast majority are families from Afghanistan and Syria, over a third are children and many are living in tents and makeshift shelters without access to power, heating or hot water. Its filthy. There arent enough latrines and showers, said Boris Cheshirkov, the UNHCRs spokesman in Greece.
The UN called for Greece to accelerate its plans to transfer thousands of refugees from the overcrowded islands to the Greek mainland.
Greeces asylum service has a backlog of nearly 90,000 pending asylum cases.
The centre-Right government of Kyriakos Mitsotakis has pledged to speed up the repatriation of migrants whose asylum applications have been rejected.
Notis Mitarachi, the minister for migration, wants there to be weekly returns to Turkey of failed asylum applicants in a bid to ease overcrowding on the islands.
Last week it emerged that the government wants to deploy a 1.7 mile-long floating barrier off the coast of Lesbos to deter refugees and migrants crossing from Turkey.
Humanitarian groups said it was dangerous and could lead to more deaths at sea.
Read more from the original source:
- Staten Island Councilman With Multiple Speeding Tickets Explains Why Speed Cameras Are Bad - Gothamist - February 29th, 2020
- Staten Island community board meetings this week - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- Century 21 Department Store to open on Staten Island - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- Staten Island St. Patricks Parade 2020: What you need to know about street closures - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- How do you run cattle and sheep in a swamp? This farm has done it for five generations - ABC News - February 29th, 2020
- The UnXplained season 2 premiere: Searching for buried treasure on Oak Island - AL.com - February 29th, 2020
- Staten Island's Best Dressed: Hearts of Hope Gala and more - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- Harvey Weinstein Is in for a Rude Awakening on Rikers Island - The Daily Beast - February 29th, 2020
- Rea blasts Sykes over Phillip Island contact - Motorsport.com, Edition: Global - February 29th, 2020
- Overturned truck spills fuel on Staten Island Expressway to N.J. - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- Rikers Island, Harvey Weinstein's new home, is a byword for prison brutality - The Guardian - February 29th, 2020
- Three honored Thursday for outstanding contributions to the Staten Island community - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- CHSAA boys basketball: 7 players named to Staten Islands all-division team - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- 5000 Year-Old Anatolian Sword Discovered On Venetian Island - Ancient Origins - February 29th, 2020
- Letter of Recommendation: 'Treasure Island' - The New York Times - February 29th, 2020
- Fever of Cownose rays spotted along coast of Sanibel Island - Wink News - February 29th, 2020
- NYPD: 14-year-old hit in the head during altercation at the Staten Island Mall - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- Fantasy Island Clips Tell You the Rules of That Wild Island - /FILM - February 13th, 2020
- Is Love Island scripted - are contestants told what to say? - Metro.co.uk - February 13th, 2020
- Drive-by shooting on Hilton Head Island has neighbor concerned, angry - WSAV-TV - February 13th, 2020
- Two Staten Island post offices open for passport processing on Presidents Day - SILive.com - February 13th, 2020
- Synod says yes to Channel Islands transfer THE transfer of parishes in the Channel Islands from - Church Times - February 13th, 2020
- Deal Island Families Weigh In On the County's Next Renovation Project - WBOC TV 16 - February 13th, 2020
- Need a winter hike? Try White Rock Bay to Elephant Head Overlook at Antelope Island - KSL.com - February 13th, 2020
- Meet Pancakes, the newborn sloth at the Staten Island Zoo - SILive.com - February 13th, 2020
- Tribal claim adds new twist to Long Island bridge flap - Boston Herald - February 13th, 2020
- Local educators last full day on Parris Island - WNKY EXCLUSIVE - wnky.com - February 13th, 2020
- Rock Island police looking for suspect vehicle in hit-and-run crash - KWQC-TV6 - February 13th, 2020
- Brothers Arrested on Drug, Firearm Charges - Big Island Now - February 13th, 2020
- New Pleasure Island Chamber of Commerce events planned for 2020 - Port City Daily - February 13th, 2020
- White Island volcano survivor out of coma and told of deaths of husband and daughter - The Guardian - February 13th, 2020
- Dave Pasternack Brings Italian Restaurant and Steakhouse to Troubled Staten Island Waterfront Development - Eater NY - February 13th, 2020
- Montauk Fishing Crew Overboard Off Fire Island - East Hampton Star - February 12th, 2020
- Grand Island moves forward with six-year road construction project plan - KSNB Local 4 - February 12th, 2020
- The Conventional Wisdom Still Stands: America Can Deal with China's Artificial Island Bases - War on the Rocks - February 12th, 2020
- ABC Act breaks down barriers to mental health care on-Island - Martha's Vineyard Times - February 12th, 2020
- Staten Island mornings: Todt Hill - SILive.com - February 12th, 2020
- Former Little Bay Islands Resident says Water Not Shut off in Community - VOCM - February 12th, 2020
- Poll: Who is Staten Islands best HS girls hoopster this season? - SILive.com - February 12th, 2020
- What Its Like to Be Quarantined on an Island Over Coronavirus Fears - SBS News - February 12th, 2020
- What's happening on Shelter Island the week of Feb. 13 - Shelter Island Reporter - Shelter Island Reporter - February 12th, 2020
- Hicks column: Would another layer of government on Johns Island stop growth? - Charleston Post Courier - February 12th, 2020
- Laughlintown family explores island life on 'Beachfront Bargain Hunt' - TribLIVE - February 12th, 2020
- Local News Padre Island residents satisfied after meeting with CCPD Ashley Portillo 8:51 PM, Feb - KRIS Corpus Christi News - February 5th, 2020
- Episode 969: The Island No One Owns : Planet Money - NPR - February 5th, 2020
- Yes, Animal Crossing: New Horizons is limited to one island per console - GamesRadar - February 5th, 2020
- Minotaurs Island - The New York Times - February 5th, 2020
- Individuals sought for questioning in connection with theft of purse at Staten Island Mall - SILive.com - February 5th, 2020
- Public input will drive Grand Island transportation infrastructure plans - Grand Island Independent - February 5th, 2020
- Have you seen foxes on Staten Island? Youre not alone! - SILive.com - February 5th, 2020
- As SC island homes fall into ocean, owners behind them wonder if they're next - Charleston Post Courier - February 5th, 2020
- City finds no evidence of coyote population on Staten Island - SILive.com - February 5th, 2020
- Man sails across the Pacific and crashes into Big Island rocky shoreline - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - February 5th, 2020
- Piers Morgan brands Love Island stars brain-dead after hilarious impression of Ched chatting up Jess - The Sun - February 5th, 2020
- Unassuming Canouan Island Is the Caribbean's Next Billionaire Playground - Cond Nast Traveler - February 5th, 2020
- Balboa Island's costly wooden benches are on their way out - Los Angeles Times - February 5th, 2020
- Hatteras Island Oyster Roast in Pictures: A Chilly but Festive Shell-ebration - Island Free Press - February 5th, 2020
- Advocates concerned about rise of private assisted living beds on Vancouver Island - Nanaimo News NOW - February 5th, 2020
- Paradise Island apartment complex where fire destroyed building failed fire safety inspection in 2016 - FirstCoastNews.com WTLV-WJXX - February 4th, 2020
- 5 Indonesian Islands Black Women Should Visit That Are Not Bali - Essence - February 4th, 2020
- Kings Island's Orion giga coaster track is complete. Here's what it took to build it. - USA TODAY - February 4th, 2020
- San Jose Island barges heading back into the water - KRIS Corpus Christi News - February 4th, 2020
- Is there a serial bank robber on Staten Island? Detectives probe heists - SILive.com - February 4th, 2020
- Love Island Gossip Column: Shaughna was on Celebs Go Dating?! And Margot Robbie parties with ex-Islanders - The Tab - February 4th, 2020
- How a $6 billion facelift will transform San Francisco Treasure Island - Business Insider - Business Insider - February 4th, 2020
- Where is Love Island Aftersun filmed and can you get tickets? - Heart - February 4th, 2020
- New Filipino bakery cafe opens on Staten Island with Moms recipes - SILive.com - February 4th, 2020
- Live on a secluded island off Lake Conroe in this just listed, $4.25M 'Glass House' - Chron.com - February 4th, 2020
- How Connor Durman reacted to Sophie Piper's Love Island exit - cosmopolitan.com - February 4th, 2020
- Stranded tourists airlifted from rain-ravaged areas of New Zealand's south island - ABC News - February 4th, 2020
- The Division 2 heads to New Yorks Coney Island this month - PCGamesN - February 3rd, 2020
- Taken in 1856, this is the oldest known photo of Mackinac Island - MLive.com - February 3rd, 2020
- The Allies World War II Battle Of Savo Island Was A True Naval Disaster - The National Interest Online - February 3rd, 2020
- Meet the Staten Island comic book artist who creates superheroes - SILive.com - February 3rd, 2020
- Island life: An insider's guide to life in Noumea - The Guardian - February 3rd, 2020
- Gusts of up to 80mph blowing in across Highlands and Islands - Press and Journal - February 3rd, 2020
- New Zealand's Hydrothermal Explosion At White Island And Its Lessons For Yellowstone - National Parks Traveler - February 3rd, 2020
- Staten Island Nightlife: 'Oh What a Night;' the big Italian party at Villa Paradiso - SILive.com - February 3rd, 2020
- Late Lonesome George, last of his species, may have living relatives - New Atlas - February 3rd, 2020
- Staten Island woman owns 50K artifacts of African-American history - SILive.com - February 3rd, 2020