COVID-19 testing at North Hawaii Community Hospital. (PC: Lynn Scully, NHCH)
Lieutenant Governor Josh Green played a high stakes round of the on the other hand game at a press conference Monday encouraging Hawaii residents that the state could see low COVID-19 mortality rates if people follow the rules, but warning that a failure to do so would still lead to a public health catastrophe.
This is how fast it goes bad for us. If people dont listen (and practice social distancing), there will be 8% more cases in two days, Green said of the infection curve the state is currently following. Four days later, it will be 15% more cases. On the sixth day it could be 43% more.
Those 43% more cases will represent hundreds of people who will test positive for COVID-19, and they themselves will spread (the disease) he continued. That is how we lose. That is how people die in the state of the Hawaii.
Hawaii is now capable of conducting 1,500 tests for COVID-19 every day, the third-highest rate in the country. As of Monday, public and private labs had tested more than 8,700 COVID-19 swabs.
Thats part of the reason Department of Health Director Bruce Anderson said the state has seen an upswing in positive results over the last five days, with between 23% of those tested coming up positive.
Since Gov. David Iges stay-at-home Emergency Proclamation went into effect on March 26, the number of confirmed cases in Hawaii has risen to the following totals:
The most recent days tally saw 29 new positive results. One case was a child, meaning now four cases in the state have been reported in children 16-years-old or younger.
Of Hawaiis 204 cases, 165 are residents and 19 are visitors. Arrivals at Hawaiian airports have plummeted to roughly 3% of typical passenger flow last year, as fewer than 900 people flew into a Hawaiian Island Sunday.
Weve essentially eliminated cases weve seen with travel, said Anderson, adding that all but cutting off that avenue of infection has now ushered Hawaii into the phase of the curve where community spread is the paramount concern.
Anderson said consecutive days of 29 confirmed cases, 26 confirmed cases and 29 confirmed cases of COVID-19 over the weekend indicate the public is now seeing some signs of localized community transmission.
Officials dont believe theres widespread community transition yet, however, as the states sentinel surveillance program has tested 254 random samples of patients from different islands who reported flu-like illnesses but tested negative for the flu virus. None of those tests have come back positive for COVID-19.
Green and Anderson both reiterated that right now is the time when social distancing will matter the most, with Green saying he believes that roughly three weeks is a reasonable timeline for Hawaii to see peak infection rates.
The governors stay-at-home proclamation and the 14-day, mandatory self-quarantine for all travelers visitor, resident or anyone who takes an inter-island flight starting Wednesday at midnight remain in effect until April 30.
The very best thing you can do to save the lives of our kpuna, is to please stay at home and listen to what the governor has asked us to do through April 30, Green said. Only go out when you absolutely need to.
We will be able to get out of this alive.
External triage center set up outside West Hawaii Community Health Center for COVID-19 testing. (PC: Tiffany DeMasters)
So far, everyone infected with COVID-19 in Hawaii has gotten out alive. As of noon Monday, only 12 of the 204 confirmed cases had required hospitalization. However, Green said six of those individuals are in intensive care units (ICUs) and two are on ventilators.
Currently, only 37% of the states 338 ICU beds are occupied. Only 11% of its 534 ventilators are in use.
If we do not quarantine at home, those numbers go up very fast, Green said. Just 400 of 500 people needing a ventilator will exceed our capacity to keep people alive.
If a surge of hospitalizations does come, which Green suggested would most likely occur in late April or into May, the state is working on technologies to expand its healthcare capacity.
Researchers at the University of Hawaii at Mnoa are collaborating with technical experts across the country to expand ventilator capacity and possibly split one machine so it can keep two people breathing simultaneously.
If necessary, alternate sites are being examined for use as healthcare facilities. Bed overflow could extend to the Hawaii Convention Center, for instance. Green noted that the state believes it might be able to bring several hundred more hospital beds online if necessary.
But if people follow social distancing mandates, he hopes Hawaii wont have to.
Were capable of beating this, Green said.
See the rest here:
- Wish Upon a Food Truck Festival kicks off Saturday on City Island - ABC27 - September 18th, 2020
- A journalist's death stunned a small Island nation and ignited a fight for truth and justice - NBC News - September 18th, 2020
- Ice Age Cave Bear Found Preserved in Permafrost on Siberian Island - Smithsonian Magazine - September 18th, 2020
- Staten Island mom becomes a TikTok star with her videos about food, parenting advice - silive.com - September 18th, 2020
- Hunters fight off reported grizzly bear near Island Park - East Idaho News - September 18th, 2020
- Going green: Governors Island could soon house climate center - The Real Deal - September 18th, 2020
- Island Coast High School student arrested for texting threats to teacher - Wink News - September 18th, 2020
- Dream Honeymoons: Get Thee to an Island - My New Orleans - September 18th, 2020
- Jane Rogers position terminated -- for now -- by the Staten Island Yankees - SILive.com - September 18th, 2020
- David Robinson was left on an island during the 1995 Western Conference Finals - Pounding The Rock - September 18th, 2020
- Love Island USA: Season 2 Episode 22 TV Schedule, Streaming Options & Recap - Screen Rant - September 18th, 2020
- Staten Island Shakespearean Theatre embraces facial coverings in 'The Two Gentlemen of Verona production - SILive.com - September 18th, 2020
- Some Island kids return to in-person learning - Martha's Vineyard Times - September 18th, 2020
- BREAKING: Universal Studios Florida, Islands of Adventure, and Volcano Bay Theme Parks All Currently Closed at Capacity - wdwnt.com - September 8th, 2020
- OBITUARY: Janice Elaine Austin Lee, 85, of Merritt Island Passed Away on August 27 - SpaceCoastDaily.com - September 8th, 2020
- 'They're so vulnerable': Coronavirus hits tribes of isolated Andaman Islands - NBC News - September 8th, 2020
- Five forgotten Greek islands to visit right now - Telegraph.co.uk - September 8th, 2020
- Fixer uppers: Used bike project to benefit Caribbean island - GazetteNET - September 8th, 2020
- Staten Island Mall reopens Wednesday: What you need to know - SILive.com - September 8th, 2020
- South Padre Island businesses picking up over Labor Day weekend - KGBT-TV - September 8th, 2020
- Small Demonstration Against Temptation Island Filming Urges Government Leaders to Protect Hawaii - Maui Now - September 8th, 2020
- Love Has Won escorted to airport - Thegardenisland.com - September 8th, 2020
- Opinion: Want to Re-Think New York City? Start with Rikers Island. - City Limits - September 8th, 2020
- Guam records island's youngest coronavirus-related fatality over Labor Day weekend - Stars and Stripes - September 8th, 2020
- Amended orders: Inter-island travel restrictions eased among most islands - EyeWitness News - September 8th, 2020
- The best hotels on the British and Channel islands | Telegraph Travel - The Telegraph - September 8th, 2020
- Oak Island aimed for an 'impossibly fast' reopening. Was it too rushed? - Port City Daily - September 8th, 2020
- Chief Read: Island weathered the storm well with a good response in restoring power - Shelter Island - Shelter Island Reporter - August 10th, 2020
- Cameron: The City Island Monorail - CT Examiner - August 10th, 2020
- Full List of Big Island Primary Election Results - Big Island Now - August 10th, 2020
- This Day In History, August 10th, 2020 - "Last Island Hurricane" - Signals AZ - August 10th, 2020
- Mediapro Supplies OneSoccer With Broadcast Infrastructure of CPL The Island Games Tournament - Sports Video Group - August 10th, 2020
- Car crash on Block Island kills teen, seriously injures another - The Providence Journal - August 10th, 2020
- Eddie Hearn Has Boxing's Answer to the UFC's Fight Island - Sportscasting - August 10th, 2020
- Solid Waste Division OT over budget again | The Garden Island - Thegardenisland.com - August 10th, 2020
- Mercer Island Thrift Shop, recycling center renovations to take longer - Mercer Island Reporter - August 10th, 2020
- 8 outdoor workouts across the North Fork and Shelter Island to keep you happy and fit - Northforker - August 10th, 2020
- China Is Counting On Island Outposts To Project PowerBut U.S. Troops Could Capture Them - Forbes - August 10th, 2020
- TV tonight: A beautiful trip to the Galpagos Islands - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- Missing sailors stranded on Pacific island saved by giant SOS in the sand - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- 11 Things To Know Before Visiting Channel Islands National Park - TravelAwaits - August 10th, 2020
- Couple who live on old Ellis Island ferryboat launches S.I. tours - SILive.com - August 10th, 2020
- OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR News Release Governor Ige reinstating partial inter-island travel quarantine - David Y. Ige | Newsroom - August 10th, 2020
- 4 private islands for rent within driving distance from Atlanta - Atlanta Journal Constitution - August 10th, 2020
- No flight required: 10 island escapes in the US that you can drive to - USA TODAY - August 10th, 2020
- "Once On This Island" Adaptation to be Developed for Disney+ - wdwnt.com - August 10th, 2020
- Sunsets on Cape Cod and the islands are beautiful this summer. Here are 20 reader-submitted photos to prove it. - Boston.com - August 10th, 2020
- Exploring the vast, rolling hills of the Faroe Islands - Far Out Magazine - August 10th, 2020
- Daufuskie Island offers a taste of the simple life in the Lowcountry - Atlanta Journal Constitution - August 10th, 2020
- Islands of Ireland: Small islands, big ambitions - Irish Examiner - August 10th, 2020
- Second-Annual Garden Island bodyboarding a success - Thegardenisland.com - August 10th, 2020
- Waterfowl Hunting Permits Available for Deal Island, Fairmount - The Southern Maryland Chronicle - August 10th, 2020
- Why 'Renovation Island' Hosts Bryan and Sarah Baeumler Will Never Become the Next Chip and Joanna Gaines of HGTV - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 10th, 2020
- Island Fights greatest: 10 fighters who reached the highest stage after Island Fights - Pensacola News Journal - August 10th, 2020
- Discovering Lastovo, Croatia's Southernmost Inhabited Island - Total Croatia News - August 10th, 2020
- DNR: Conservation officer rescues two men stranded near an island - KESQ - August 10th, 2020
- Grand Island football team in quarantine; one staffer tests positive for coronavirus - Omaha World-Herald - August 10th, 2020
- Nuclear watchdog opposes any agreement that would transfer ownership of Three Mile Island Unit 2 - LancasterOnline - August 10th, 2020
- No flight required: 10 island escapes you can drive to - USA Today 10Best - August 9th, 2020
- Grand Island School district expects technical devices will be in high demand as more students learn remotely - WIVB.com - News 4 - August 9th, 2020
- Community Health Action of Staten Island distributes boxes of fresh free food from Fresh Direct - SILive.com - August 9th, 2020
- Five new bridges leading to Deira Islands open to traffic - The National - August 8th, 2020
- Head of island police station to be removed over lax virus checks | Kathimerini - www.ekathimerini.com - August 8th, 2020
- Still without power? Con Ed giving away dry ice at Staten Island Mall Saturday - silive.com - August 8th, 2020
- Big Island Weekly Road Closures: Aug. 8-14 - Big Island Now - August 8th, 2020
- Hallmarks Love on Harbor Island: Where It's Filmed & Cast - Heavy.com - August 8th, 2020
- Public records lawsuit against city of Bainbridge Island dismissed - Kitsap Sun - August 8th, 2020
- Access granted: Halifax harbour's Georges Island opens to the public - Global News - August 8th, 2020
- Big Island Weekend Closures: Aug. 7-9 - Big Island Now - August 8th, 2020
- From Manus Island to Melbourne: we do not even know what we are being punished for - The Guardian - August 8th, 2020
- Heritage Museum launches a walking tour exhibit - Vashon-Maury Island Beachcomber - August 8th, 2020
- Galveston Island Humane Society's pets of the week - Galveston County Daily News - August 8th, 2020
- UFC Fighters, Staff, and Journalists Couldn't Help But Love Fight Island - Sportscasting - August 8th, 2020
- Aquidneck Island Open Houses: 14 homes to tour this weekend - What'sUpNewp - August 8th, 2020
- Authorities tell people to leave Oak Island, declaring much of it unsafe after Isaias - WRAL.com - August 5th, 2020
- Hatteras Island, Ocracoke Island reopen to residents and vendors; minimal damage from Isaias - WAVY.com - August 5th, 2020
- Vacation-rental agreement a good thing for island - Thegardenisland.com - August 5th, 2020
- Rock Island-Milan School District to begin school year with full remote learning - WHBF - OurQuadCities.com - August 5th, 2020
- Metlakatla resident diagnosed with COVID-19 is off-island in Juneau, local officials say - KRBD - August 5th, 2020
- The 10 best dream Islands to visit in Animal Crossing: New Horizons - iMore - August 5th, 2020