For many newcomers, cryptocurrencies can be confusing at the best of times. Not only are they extremely complex, but there are also so many of them to choose from.
Bitcoin itself is no stranger to this. There are multiple iterations of Bitcoin, from the original BTC to Bitcoin Gold and Bitcoin Private. The biggest competitor to Bitcoin though is Bitcoin Cash (BCH). BCH is a hard fork of Bitcoin that aims to solve the issue of scaling through the use of bigger blocks.
Bitcoin Cash arose due to a large scaling debate that happened within the Bitcoin community. Debates began to arise when the Bitcoin mempool began to fill up due to the amount of transactions taking place on the network. This caused Bitcoin to become slower and more expensive to send than it had been in the past.
There were two options depending on your viewpoint. The first was to scale by increasing the block size of Bitcoin, and the second was to scale via a second-layer solution such as the Lightning Network. When neither side could come to a compromise, a fork took place and led to the creation of what became known as Bitcoin Cash.
Bitcoin Cash was backed by evangelist Roger Ver and mining giant Jihan Wu along with many other industry leaders and experts. They disagreed with the idea of implementing SegWit onto Bitcoin and wanted to see Bitcoin scale to 8MB blocks.
Bigger blocks allow for more transactions to take place. However, this comes with the downside of creating a larger blockchain. Those who believe in BTC argue that bigger blocks will eventually lead to mining centralisation.
BCH supporters argue that through Moores Law technology will eventually catch up, allowing for bigger blocks to be possible without these centralisation issues.
Bigger blocks are believed to be necessary due to the fees associated with Bitcoin. When the network became extremely popular in the bull run of 2017, fees and transaction times began to rise considerably. This made it clear that Bitcoin needed to scale.
Bitcoin Cash believes that it has solved these problems through bigger blocks, which it argues allows for much lower fees.
It is impossible to discuss Bitcoin Cash without mentioning evangelist Roger Ver. Ver was one of the first people to promote Bitcoin to the world. He was an early investor in the cryptocurrency and many major cryptocurrency companies today were helped by his funding. As the owner of the bitcoin.com domain, he holds a powerful position.
Ver argues that the direction that BTC has taken has limited the cryptocurrency and allowed other altcoins to rise in prominence. He argues that Bitcoin Cash is the true Bitcoin as it is a form of peer-to-peer electronic cash, as stated in the white paper.
This has not been without controversy, and resulted in much antagonism directed towards Ver. Some have argued that Ver has misled the public in his promotion of Bitcoin Cash as the real Bitcoin an accusation he vehemently denies.
BCH went through its own drama in late 2018. After the split from BTC, BCH was led by Roger Ver, Jihan Wu, and development teams including Bitcoin Unlimited and Bitcoin ABC. They were also supported by Craig Wright of nChain and his partner Calvin Ayre.
However, their relationship soured, and another fork took place splitting Bitcoin Cash into BCH and Bitcoin Satoshis Vision (BSV).
Many members of the Bitcoin Cash community are on the r/btc subreddit. The r/btc subreddit is another split from the original r/bitcoin subreddit. The drama began when users argued that the r/bitcoin subreddit was too heavily moderated, therefore limiting free speech.
This led to the creation of r/btc, and this is where you can find the most up-to-date news on Bitcoin Cash and debates surrounding the cryptocurrency. If you want the latest news and to join the community, this is the place to start.
There are many fervent supporters of Bitcoin Cash who believe that on-chain scaling is the main solution to the current scaling issues. Although it has yet to make a dent in overtaking the original Bitcoin chain, their beliefs have not diminished. This is the main difference between Bitcoin Cash and Bitcoin the debate over scaling on-chain or via a second layer.
Arguments over the split still rage on to this day, with both sides not conceding any ground. Whilst many deride Bitcoin Cash, there is an argument to be made that the testing of an on-chain scaling solution is a good experiment for the whole of cryptocurrency.
The post What is Bitcoin Cash? appeared first on Coin Rivet.
Follow this link:
- How to use precision medicine to personalize COVID-19 treatment according to the patients genes - TheStreet - September 2nd, 2020
- Meiotic chromosome synapsis depends on multivalent SYCE1-SIX6OS1 interactions that are disrupted in cases of human infertility - Science Advances - September 2nd, 2020
- Thought to Be Extinct, New Guinea's Singing Dogs Found Alive in the Wild - Smithsonian Magazine - September 2nd, 2020
- Humans have had mystery DNA for 300,000 yearsand now we might finally know what it is - SYFY WIRE - August 10th, 2020
- The Secret to a Long, Healthy Life Is in the Genes of the Oldest Humans Alive - Singularity Hub - August 10th, 2020
- LogicBio Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business UpdatesFDA Clears IND Application for LB-001 for the... - August 10th, 2020
- Research on Tasmanian devil offers new insights into tackling human cancer - National Science Foundation - August 10th, 2020
- Human Genetics Market 2020 Size by Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecast to 2027 - Owned - August 10th, 2020
- University of Texas researchers find mutation that led to 2015-2016 Zika outbreak - Homeland Preparedness News - August 10th, 2020
- Blood lipid levels may be altered in some autistic people - Spectrum - August 10th, 2020
- NIH taps Dr. Lindsey Criswell as director of the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases - National Institutes of Health - August 10th, 2020
- 'Hyper urban' coyote genomes are growing apart from their city and rural cousins - Massive Science - August 10th, 2020
- Why scientists are worried about a 'Warp Speed' COVID-19 vaccine - New Haven Register - August 10th, 2020
- Gyroscope Announces Appointment of Leaders in Retinal Disease, Gene Therapy and the Complement System to Its Clinical and Scientific Advisory Boards -... - August 10th, 2020
- Noel Rose, Who Demonstrated Autoimmunity Exists, Dies at 92 - The Scientist - August 10th, 2020
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers: Viruses Can Steal Our Genetic Code to Create New Human-Virus Genes - SciTechDaily - August 10th, 2020
- Why Are Only 10% of People Left-Handed? Here's What Scientists Know So Far - ScienceAlert - August 10th, 2020
- Holder pasteurization of donated human milk is effective in inactivating SARS-CoV-2 - CMAJ - August 10th, 2020
- Dinosaur diagnosed with bone cancer that afflicts humans today - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- LogicBio Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Updates - GlobeNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- The Secret to Healthy Longevity Is in the Genes of the Oldest Humans Alive - Singularity Hub - August 10th, 2020
- BU's COVID-19 Testing Passes Its First Test | BU Today - BU Today - August 10th, 2020
- COVID-19 in Africa: Dampening the storm? - Science - August 10th, 2020
- Pacific Biosciences and Asuragen Collaborate to Develop Assays for Carrier Screening and other Applications Based on SMRT Sequencing Technology and... - August 10th, 2020
- U of T researchers identify molecular switch allowing parasites to survive inside hosts without oxygen - News@UofT - August 9th, 2020
- LUMINEX : MANAGEMENT'S DISCUSSION AND ANALYSIS OF FINANCIAL CONDITION AND RESULTS OF OPERATIONS (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - August 8th, 2020
- Gaucher Disease Treatment Market Size, Top Companies, Trends, Growth Factors Details by Regions, Types and Applications - Owned - August 8th, 2020
- How studying genetics and lifestyle can shape a healthier MENA region - The European Sting - August 8th, 2020
- Detection of H1 Swine Influenza A Virus Antibodies in Human Serum Samples by Age Group - CDC - August 7th, 2020
- UW researchers devise approach to treat rare, incurable form of blindness - University of Wisconsin-Madison - August 7th, 2020
- Prevail Therapeutics to Present at 2020 Wedbush PacGrow Healthcare Conference - Stockhouse - August 7th, 2020
- human genetics | Description, Chromosomes, & Inheritance ... - August 6th, 2020
- Human Genetics | Pitt Public Health | University of Pittsburgh - August 6th, 2020
- Triplet Therapeutics To Present at Upcoming Events - Business Wire - August 5th, 2020
- 'Hyper urban' coyote genomes are growing apart their from city and rural cousins - Massive Science - August 5th, 2020
- Baylor genomics teams partner to provide COVID-19 testing for Houston area - Baylor College of Medicine News - August 5th, 2020
- Gaucher Disease Treatment Market (Impact of COVID-19) Top Growing Companies: Acetelion Pharmaceutical (J&J Ltd.), Erad Therapeutic Inc., JCR... - August 5th, 2020
- High-fat Diet and Genetics Lead to Anxiety and Depression in Rats - Newswise - August 5th, 2020
- 'Mono' virus turns on cancer-related genes. Here's how. - Live Science - August 4th, 2020
- Human Challenge Trial Neither Essential Nor Ethically Justified at This Time, Says US Expert Anthony Fauci - Yahoo India News - August 4th, 2020
- ICMR to host global web conference on science, ethics of COVID-19 vaccine starting 4.30 pm today - Firstpost - August 4th, 2020
- Faculty/staff honors: Women in engineering network nod, winning magazine article on geologic hazards and refugees and two national genetics society... - July 31st, 2020
- ENCODE3: Interpreting the human and mouse genomes - Science Codex - July 31st, 2020
- Revealing the intrinsic functioning of human and mouse genomes - Tech Explorist - July 31st, 2020
- Maternal Immune Activation Causes Schizophrenia-like Behaviors in the Offspring through Activation of Immune-Inflammatory, Oxidative and Apoptotic... - July 31st, 2020
- Podcast: The ancient war between genes and disease - Genetic Literacy Project - July 31st, 2020
- Pitt's School of Public Health welcomes students with opera about obstetrician who championed hand-washing - TribLIVE - July 31st, 2020
- BNGO Stock Price: BioNano Genomics Inc. retreats, starts week in the red - FXStreet - July 31st, 2020
- A Genetic Mutation Reveals How the SARS-CoV-2 Virus Strikes - Technology Networks - July 31st, 2020
- 88-Year Old Daniel Smith, Son Of Slave, Tells His Story - Moguldom - July 31st, 2020
- 23andMe Releases Devastating Analysis of Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade - Futurism - July 31st, 2020
- MSU researcher earns grant to study effects of droughts - MSUToday - July 31st, 2020
- Massive Growth in Human Genetics Market Breaking new grounds and touch new level in Upcoming Year by QIAGEN, Agilent Technologies, Thermo Fisher... - July 30th, 2020
- CEO of genome analysis firm: We have the data to prove people will take care of themselves - University of Miami - July 30th, 2020
- Researchers from U of T, Harvard study collective human behaviour amid COVID-19 - News@UofT - July 30th, 2020
- Gene mutations discovered as a trigger for male infertility - BioNews - July 29th, 2020
- Cerevel Therapeutics and Cyclica Announce Research Collaboration to Use Artificial Intelligence to Accelerate Discovery of Novel Medicines in... - July 29th, 2020
- Relatives of coronavirus may have been in bats for decades - Opelika Auburn News - July 29th, 2020
- Link between platelets and Covid-19 virus? - The New Indian Express - July 29th, 2020
- Fortress Biotech Announces Publication of Study on Targeted Next Generation Sequencing for Newborn Screening of Menkes Disease in Molecular Genetics... - July 29th, 2020
- New 23andMe Study Reveals the Genetic Legacy of Slavery in the Americas - Gizmodo - July 29th, 2020
- The Groundbreaking Scientist Who Risked All in Pursuit of His Beliefs - The New York Times - July 29th, 2020
- 23andMe and GSK Head to Clinical Trials With Cancer Drug - MSN Money - July 29th, 2020
- Human Genetics - David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA - July 29th, 2020
- Discovering how genetic 'dark matter' plays a role in mental illness is just the tip of the iceberg for human health - The Conversation UK - July 29th, 2020
- Prevail Therapeutics Granted Composition of Matter Patent for Experimental Gene Therapy Program PR006 - GlobeNewswire - July 29th, 2020
- The toll of shrinking jaws on human health | Stanford News - Stanford University News - July 28th, 2020
- Global Hereditary Genetic Testing Market (2020 to 2030) - Analysis and Forecast - GlobeNewswire - July 28th, 2020
- Triplet Therapeutics nabs Scholar Rock R&D exec as new CSO - FierceBiotech - July 27th, 2020
- Meet Dr Sarah Gilbert, one of the scientists leading the race to find a coronavirus vaccine - The Indian Express - July 27th, 2020
- Genetic basis of bats superpowers revealed - KLBK | KAMC | EverythingLubbock.com - July 27th, 2020
- Study of Gene's Hormone Effects Leads to Surprise Insight into Pituitary Tumors - University of Michigan Health System News - July 26th, 2020
- Dutch University hospital Radboudumc finds genetic mutation as a reason for lack of defense against corona - Innovation Origins - July 26th, 2020
- Tailoring Depression Treatment With Genetics - Technology Networks - July 26th, 2020
- Genetic puzzle: How mice can be modified to help in the race to develop coronavirus therapies - Genetic Literacy Project - July 26th, 2020
- The genetic basis of bats' superpowers revealed - Newswise - July 26th, 2020
- Inside the Global Quest to Trace the Origins of COVID-19and Predict Where It Will Go Next - TIME - July 26th, 2020
- Baylor Genetics and the City of Houston Form COVID-19 Testing Partnership - PRNewswire - July 25th, 2020
- Triplet Therapeutics Appoints Alan Buckler, Ph.D., as Chief Scientific Officer - Business Wire - July 25th, 2020
- The genetic basis of bats superpowers revealed - YubaNet - July 25th, 2020