Ever since the Human Genome Project began in the late 1980s, genetics and DNA have become topics of mass interest. The book Genome: The Autobiography of a Species in 23 chapters states that the genome is a book that wrote itself, continually adding, deleting, and amending for over four billion years.
For Dr Surendra Chikara, who has been working in the field for over 20 years now, the idea of founding Bione, a healthcare startup, was a no-brainer.
Monitoring the present coronavirus outbreak scenario in the country, we have included new parameters to our Longevity Plus kit. The new updated kit provides information about the susceptibility of a person to viruses like coronavirus, SARS-like viruses, HIV, Hepatitis C virus, etc. This could be based on an individuals genetic makeup or the patterns of living, Surendra says.
Dr Surendra, Founder of Bione
Surendra says a recent addition to the Bione Genetic test can check an individuals susceptibility to coronavirus. He adds that the platforms microbiome test, combined with its predictive analytics tools and artificial intelligence, can provide tailored recommendations to individuals to strengthen their microbiome and improve their immunity.
A research paper titled 'Evidence of gastrointestinal infection of SARS-CoV-2 revealed that 23.29 percent patients infected with SARS CoV-2 showed positive results in stool after showing negative in respiratory samples. Hence, the gut microbiome test is the only way to know when a virus is no longer in your system, Surendra says.
Surendra started his career with recombinant DNA technology and worked with Dr Gita Sharma, who had created the first r-DNA vaccine for Hepatitis-B in India.
My journey in genomics started under her support and guidance. It was the time when human genome sequencing and next-generation sequencing were starting to gain importance. We were in discussions to bring D2C technology to India, but the Indian healthcare market was not ready for direct-to-consumer genetic testing," Surendra says.
This is a huge problem that all my networks were aware of. We all know that the future of the global pharmaceutical industry lies in developing precision medicines tailored for individuals based on their genes, and clinical risk for developing a disease. Indian genetic data is highly diverse and a number of breakthroughs can happen. At Bione, we are doing our part to be part of this bigger picture of making India disease-free, Surendra says.
The different types of kits depend on the number of tests covered, and include Longevity kit, Longevity Plus Kit, and MyMicrobiome kit. The Longevity Plus kit covers over 415 parameters, including health, personalised medicine, fitness, and wellness.
The team claims that it also covers a parameter that determines specific gene variants that may contribute to enhance resistance to viruses like coronavirus, HIV, Hepatitis C, and many others.
The MyMicrobiome kit identifies and quantifies the microbiome in the gut, based on which a personalised diet is recommended.
Surendra says scientific research has shown that the gut microbiome plays an important role in the function and maintenance of our immune system. In ideal conditions, this microbiome-immune system alliance allows the initiation of protective responses against germs.
The platform also offers sample collection, with samples collected from an individuals homes. A pick-up is arranged as per your convenience by Bione. The DNA sequencing is done in a well-equipped lab by expert scientists, after which a detailed report is prepared.
Bione gXplore is a user-friendly, informative, and interactive app-based platform. On it, you can go through your report and easily understand the results of DNA analysis.
Slots with genetic or food and nutrition counsellors are provided as a free-of-cost service. The expert team of counsellors guides you to proactively plan your and your familys health and lifestyle choices.
The Bione team consists of experts from global institutions and scientists domains of genomics, genetics, bio-IT, genome informatics, quality assurance, sales, marketing, genetic/nutrition/fitness counselling. The startup has a total team size of 39 people.
The startup also runs a lab with scientists, bioinformaticians, and genetic counsellors. The team is applying for ISO 9001:2015, followed by CAP and CLIA accreditation to follow global standards.
Bione is projecting to test 20,000 to 30,000 samples in the first year of operations. Tests are priced between Rs 5,000 to Rs 20,000, with the option of paying in EMIs. Customers can choose the package based on their needs.
The startup has raised angel funding from a clutch of undisclosed investors. Gourish Singla, the Founder of blockchain startup Project Shivom has invested in Bione.
Currently, startups like The Gene Box and Hyderabad-based MapMyGenome work on providing preventive solutions based on an individuals genetic makeup.
He says the startup's high tech lab is using advanced technologies, including whole genome sequencing, while the competition is still working with array technology with limited markers.
(Edited by Kanishk Singh)
How has the coronavirus outbreak disrupted your life? and how are you dealing with it? Write to us or send us a video with subject line 'Coronavirus Disruption' to email@example.com
Read more from the original source:
- Study Identifies Breast Cancer Risk and Disease-Causing Mutations in Women Over 65 - Cancer Network - November 28th, 2020
- Scientists say West Africans originally migrated to East Africa - Quartz Africa - November 28th, 2020
- Major new study unveils complexity and vast diversity of Africa's genetic variation - The Conversation CA - November 28th, 2020
- Future Visioning the Role of CRISPR Gene Editing: Navigating Law and Ethics to Regenerate Health and Cure Disease - IPWatchdog.com - November 28th, 2020
- Future Visioning The Role Of CRISPR Gene Editing: Navigating Law And Ethics To Regenerate Health And Cure Disease - Technology - United States -... - November 28th, 2020
- Understanding the immunology of COVID-19 - SelectScience - November 28th, 2020
- Scientists successfully implanted human genes into monkeys to increase their brain mass - Boing Boing - November 28th, 2020
- Thirteen TUM researchers among the most cited worldwide - India Education Diary - November 28th, 2020
- Twist Bioscience Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year Fiscal 2020 Financial Results - Business Wire - November 28th, 2020
- Spaceflight does some weird things to astronauts bodies - MIT Technology Review - November 28th, 2020
- Amgen To Present At The Evercore ISI Virtual HealthCONx Conference - GuruFocus.com - November 28th, 2020
- How to use precision medicine to personalize COVID-19 treatment according to the patients genes - TheStreet - September 2nd, 2020
- Meiotic chromosome synapsis depends on multivalent SYCE1-SIX6OS1 interactions that are disrupted in cases of human infertility - Science Advances - September 2nd, 2020
- Thought to Be Extinct, New Guinea's Singing Dogs Found Alive in the Wild - Smithsonian Magazine - September 2nd, 2020
- Humans have had mystery DNA for 300,000 yearsand now we might finally know what it is - SYFY WIRE - August 10th, 2020
- The Secret to a Long, Healthy Life Is in the Genes of the Oldest Humans Alive - Singularity Hub - August 10th, 2020
- LogicBio Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business UpdatesFDA Clears IND Application for LB-001 for the... - August 10th, 2020
- Research on Tasmanian devil offers new insights into tackling human cancer - National Science Foundation - August 10th, 2020
- Human Genetics Market 2020 Size by Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecast to 2027 - Owned - August 10th, 2020
- University of Texas researchers find mutation that led to 2015-2016 Zika outbreak - Homeland Preparedness News - August 10th, 2020
- Blood lipid levels may be altered in some autistic people - Spectrum - August 10th, 2020
- NIH taps Dr. Lindsey Criswell as director of the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases - National Institutes of Health - August 10th, 2020
- 'Hyper urban' coyote genomes are growing apart from their city and rural cousins - Massive Science - August 10th, 2020
- Why scientists are worried about a 'Warp Speed' COVID-19 vaccine - New Haven Register - August 10th, 2020
- Gyroscope Announces Appointment of Leaders in Retinal Disease, Gene Therapy and the Complement System to Its Clinical and Scientific Advisory Boards -... - August 10th, 2020
- Noel Rose, Who Demonstrated Autoimmunity Exists, Dies at 92 - The Scientist - August 10th, 2020
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers: Viruses Can Steal Our Genetic Code to Create New Human-Virus Genes - SciTechDaily - August 10th, 2020
- Why Are Only 10% of People Left-Handed? Here's What Scientists Know So Far - ScienceAlert - August 10th, 2020
- Holder pasteurization of donated human milk is effective in inactivating SARS-CoV-2 - CMAJ - August 10th, 2020
- Dinosaur diagnosed with bone cancer that afflicts humans today - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- LogicBio Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Updates - GlobeNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- The Secret to Healthy Longevity Is in the Genes of the Oldest Humans Alive - Singularity Hub - August 10th, 2020
- BU's COVID-19 Testing Passes Its First Test | BU Today - BU Today - August 10th, 2020
- COVID-19 in Africa: Dampening the storm? - Science - August 10th, 2020
- Pacific Biosciences and Asuragen Collaborate to Develop Assays for Carrier Screening and other Applications Based on SMRT Sequencing Technology and... - August 10th, 2020
- U of T researchers identify molecular switch allowing parasites to survive inside hosts without oxygen - News@UofT - August 9th, 2020
- LUMINEX : MANAGEMENT'S DISCUSSION AND ANALYSIS OF FINANCIAL CONDITION AND RESULTS OF OPERATIONS (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - August 8th, 2020
- Gaucher Disease Treatment Market Size, Top Companies, Trends, Growth Factors Details by Regions, Types and Applications - Owned - August 8th, 2020
- How studying genetics and lifestyle can shape a healthier MENA region - The European Sting - August 8th, 2020
- Detection of H1 Swine Influenza A Virus Antibodies in Human Serum Samples by Age Group - CDC - August 7th, 2020
- UW researchers devise approach to treat rare, incurable form of blindness - University of Wisconsin-Madison - August 7th, 2020
- Prevail Therapeutics to Present at 2020 Wedbush PacGrow Healthcare Conference - Stockhouse - August 7th, 2020
- human genetics | Description, Chromosomes, & Inheritance ... - August 6th, 2020
- Human Genetics | Pitt Public Health | University of Pittsburgh - August 6th, 2020
- Triplet Therapeutics To Present at Upcoming Events - Business Wire - August 5th, 2020
- 'Hyper urban' coyote genomes are growing apart their from city and rural cousins - Massive Science - August 5th, 2020
- Baylor genomics teams partner to provide COVID-19 testing for Houston area - Baylor College of Medicine News - August 5th, 2020
- Gaucher Disease Treatment Market (Impact of COVID-19) Top Growing Companies: Acetelion Pharmaceutical (J&J Ltd.), Erad Therapeutic Inc., JCR... - August 5th, 2020
- High-fat Diet and Genetics Lead to Anxiety and Depression in Rats - Newswise - August 5th, 2020
- 'Mono' virus turns on cancer-related genes. Here's how. - Live Science - August 4th, 2020
- Human Challenge Trial Neither Essential Nor Ethically Justified at This Time, Says US Expert Anthony Fauci - Yahoo India News - August 4th, 2020
- ICMR to host global web conference on science, ethics of COVID-19 vaccine starting 4.30 pm today - Firstpost - August 4th, 2020
- Faculty/staff honors: Women in engineering network nod, winning magazine article on geologic hazards and refugees and two national genetics society... - July 31st, 2020
- ENCODE3: Interpreting the human and mouse genomes - Science Codex - July 31st, 2020
- Revealing the intrinsic functioning of human and mouse genomes - Tech Explorist - July 31st, 2020
- Maternal Immune Activation Causes Schizophrenia-like Behaviors in the Offspring through Activation of Immune-Inflammatory, Oxidative and Apoptotic... - July 31st, 2020
- Podcast: The ancient war between genes and disease - Genetic Literacy Project - July 31st, 2020
- Pitt's School of Public Health welcomes students with opera about obstetrician who championed hand-washing - TribLIVE - July 31st, 2020
- BNGO Stock Price: BioNano Genomics Inc. retreats, starts week in the red - FXStreet - July 31st, 2020
- A Genetic Mutation Reveals How the SARS-CoV-2 Virus Strikes - Technology Networks - July 31st, 2020
- 88-Year Old Daniel Smith, Son Of Slave, Tells His Story - Moguldom - July 31st, 2020
- 23andMe Releases Devastating Analysis of Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade - Futurism - July 31st, 2020
- MSU researcher earns grant to study effects of droughts - MSUToday - July 31st, 2020
- Massive Growth in Human Genetics Market Breaking new grounds and touch new level in Upcoming Year by QIAGEN, Agilent Technologies, Thermo Fisher... - July 30th, 2020
- CEO of genome analysis firm: We have the data to prove people will take care of themselves - University of Miami - July 30th, 2020
- Researchers from U of T, Harvard study collective human behaviour amid COVID-19 - News@UofT - July 30th, 2020
- Gene mutations discovered as a trigger for male infertility - BioNews - July 29th, 2020
- Cerevel Therapeutics and Cyclica Announce Research Collaboration to Use Artificial Intelligence to Accelerate Discovery of Novel Medicines in... - July 29th, 2020
- Relatives of coronavirus may have been in bats for decades - Opelika Auburn News - July 29th, 2020
- Link between platelets and Covid-19 virus? - The New Indian Express - July 29th, 2020
- Fortress Biotech Announces Publication of Study on Targeted Next Generation Sequencing for Newborn Screening of Menkes Disease in Molecular Genetics... - July 29th, 2020
- New 23andMe Study Reveals the Genetic Legacy of Slavery in the Americas - Gizmodo - July 29th, 2020
- The Groundbreaking Scientist Who Risked All in Pursuit of His Beliefs - The New York Times - July 29th, 2020
- 23andMe and GSK Head to Clinical Trials With Cancer Drug - MSN Money - July 29th, 2020
- Human Genetics - David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA - July 29th, 2020
- Discovering how genetic 'dark matter' plays a role in mental illness is just the tip of the iceberg for human health - The Conversation UK - July 29th, 2020
- Prevail Therapeutics Granted Composition of Matter Patent for Experimental Gene Therapy Program PR006 - GlobeNewswire - July 29th, 2020
- The toll of shrinking jaws on human health | Stanford News - Stanford University News - July 28th, 2020
- Global Hereditary Genetic Testing Market (2020 to 2030) - Analysis and Forecast - GlobeNewswire - July 28th, 2020
- Triplet Therapeutics nabs Scholar Rock R&D exec as new CSO - FierceBiotech - July 27th, 2020