Health and medicine | Honors and awards | UW and the community | UW Notebook
July 28, 2020
Recent honors to University of Washington faculty and staff members have come from the Women in Engineering ProActive Network, Association Media & Publishing and The American Society of Human Genetics.
Sociologist Elizabeth Litzler honored by national network promoting women in engineering
The Women in Engineering ProActive Network, or WEPAN, has given its 2020 Founders Award to Elizabeth Litzler, UW affiliate assistant professor of sociology and director of the UW Center for Evaluation & Research for STEM Equity.
The award, one of several given annually, is given to a network member who exemplifies the spirit of the WEPAN founders through her extraordinary long-term service to the organization.
The network is a national professional society that uses research and best practices to promote the inclusion of women in the field of engineering. Its members work to connect advocates across North America to increase the participation, retention and success of women and other under-represented groups in engineering from college to executive leadership.
Litzlers and other 2020 WEPAN awards will be presented at the networks next annual conference, planned for January 2021.
* * * Article by Joseph Wartman, Will Pollock of civil and environmental engineering wins award from media group
Professor Joseph Wartman and doctoral student Will Pollock of the UW Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering have won a silver EXCEL Award from Association Media & Publishing for a feature magazine article they co-wrote on geologic hazard risks toSyrian and other refugees.
Their non-technical article was titled No Place to Flee and was published in November 2019 in the American Geophysical Unions journal EOS. Wartman is the H.R. Berg Professor of Civil & Environmental Engineering.
Association Media & Publishing AM&P for short gives out annual bronze, silver and gold EXCEL Awards for books, digital media, journals, magazines, newsletters, newspapers and promotional content. The awards recognize excellence and leadership in association media, publishing, marketing and communications.
* * *
UW Medicines Mary-Claire King, Peter Byers honored by American Society of Human Genetics
The American Society of Human Genetics has honored two UW Medicine faculty members Dr. Mary-Claire King and Dr. Peter Byers with 2020 awards.
King was chosen to receive the societys 2020 William Allan Award, which recognizes substantial and far-reaching scientific contributions to human genetics. The award is named for one of the first American physicians to extensively research human genetics and hereditary diseases. The award comes with a $25,000 prize.
King is the American Cancer Society Professor of Medicine and Genome Sciences, and an affiliate member of the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Network.
The societys president, Anthony Wynshaw-Boris of Case Western University, praised King for providing insight into the existence of the gene she named BRCA1, and changed our understanding of cancer prevention and treatment. Read more from the UW Division of Medical Genetics.
The genetics society, also called ASHG, chose Byers for its 2020 Victor A. McKusick Leadership Award, which is given annually for exemplary leadership and vision by promoting genetics and genomics knowledge in the broader scientific community.
The award, which comes with a $10,000 prize, recognizes the importance of Byers research on the molecular pathogenesis of inherited disorders of connective tissue, and for his leadership in nearly all facets of the societys work. Byers has served as the societys president and editor of its American Journal of Human Genetics. Read more on the UW Division of Medical Genetics website.
The society was founded in 1948 and its 8,000 members include researchers, academics, clinicians, laboratory practice professionals, genetic counselors and nurses. The awards will be presented at the next annual meeting, to be held virtually and not yet scheduled.
- How to use precision medicine to personalize COVID-19 treatment according to the patients genes - TheStreet - September 2nd, 2020
- Meiotic chromosome synapsis depends on multivalent SYCE1-SIX6OS1 interactions that are disrupted in cases of human infertility - Science Advances - September 2nd, 2020
- Thought to Be Extinct, New Guinea's Singing Dogs Found Alive in the Wild - Smithsonian Magazine - September 2nd, 2020
- Humans have had mystery DNA for 300,000 yearsand now we might finally know what it is - SYFY WIRE - August 10th, 2020
- The Secret to a Long, Healthy Life Is in the Genes of the Oldest Humans Alive - Singularity Hub - August 10th, 2020
- LogicBio Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business UpdatesFDA Clears IND Application for LB-001 for the... - August 10th, 2020
- Research on Tasmanian devil offers new insights into tackling human cancer - National Science Foundation - August 10th, 2020
- Human Genetics Market 2020 Size by Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecast to 2027 - Owned - August 10th, 2020
- University of Texas researchers find mutation that led to 2015-2016 Zika outbreak - Homeland Preparedness News - August 10th, 2020
- Blood lipid levels may be altered in some autistic people - Spectrum - August 10th, 2020
- NIH taps Dr. Lindsey Criswell as director of the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases - National Institutes of Health - August 10th, 2020
- 'Hyper urban' coyote genomes are growing apart from their city and rural cousins - Massive Science - August 10th, 2020
- Why scientists are worried about a 'Warp Speed' COVID-19 vaccine - New Haven Register - August 10th, 2020
- Gyroscope Announces Appointment of Leaders in Retinal Disease, Gene Therapy and the Complement System to Its Clinical and Scientific Advisory Boards -... - August 10th, 2020
- Noel Rose, Who Demonstrated Autoimmunity Exists, Dies at 92 - The Scientist - August 10th, 2020
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers: Viruses Can Steal Our Genetic Code to Create New Human-Virus Genes - SciTechDaily - August 10th, 2020
- Why Are Only 10% of People Left-Handed? Here's What Scientists Know So Far - ScienceAlert - August 10th, 2020
- Holder pasteurization of donated human milk is effective in inactivating SARS-CoV-2 - CMAJ - August 10th, 2020
- Dinosaur diagnosed with bone cancer that afflicts humans today - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- LogicBio Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Updates - GlobeNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- The Secret to Healthy Longevity Is in the Genes of the Oldest Humans Alive - Singularity Hub - August 10th, 2020
- BU's COVID-19 Testing Passes Its First Test | BU Today - BU Today - August 10th, 2020
- COVID-19 in Africa: Dampening the storm? - Science - August 10th, 2020
- Pacific Biosciences and Asuragen Collaborate to Develop Assays for Carrier Screening and other Applications Based on SMRT Sequencing Technology and... - August 10th, 2020
- U of T researchers identify molecular switch allowing parasites to survive inside hosts without oxygen - News@UofT - August 9th, 2020
- LUMINEX : MANAGEMENT'S DISCUSSION AND ANALYSIS OF FINANCIAL CONDITION AND RESULTS OF OPERATIONS (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - August 8th, 2020
- Gaucher Disease Treatment Market Size, Top Companies, Trends, Growth Factors Details by Regions, Types and Applications - Owned - August 8th, 2020
- How studying genetics and lifestyle can shape a healthier MENA region - The European Sting - August 8th, 2020
- Detection of H1 Swine Influenza A Virus Antibodies in Human Serum Samples by Age Group - CDC - August 7th, 2020
- UW researchers devise approach to treat rare, incurable form of blindness - University of Wisconsin-Madison - August 7th, 2020
- Prevail Therapeutics to Present at 2020 Wedbush PacGrow Healthcare Conference - Stockhouse - August 7th, 2020
- human genetics | Description, Chromosomes, & Inheritance ... - August 6th, 2020
- Human Genetics | Pitt Public Health | University of Pittsburgh - August 6th, 2020
- Triplet Therapeutics To Present at Upcoming Events - Business Wire - August 5th, 2020
- 'Hyper urban' coyote genomes are growing apart their from city and rural cousins - Massive Science - August 5th, 2020
- Baylor genomics teams partner to provide COVID-19 testing for Houston area - Baylor College of Medicine News - August 5th, 2020
- Gaucher Disease Treatment Market (Impact of COVID-19) Top Growing Companies: Acetelion Pharmaceutical (J&J Ltd.), Erad Therapeutic Inc., JCR... - August 5th, 2020
- High-fat Diet and Genetics Lead to Anxiety and Depression in Rats - Newswise - August 5th, 2020
- 'Mono' virus turns on cancer-related genes. Here's how. - Live Science - August 4th, 2020
- Human Challenge Trial Neither Essential Nor Ethically Justified at This Time, Says US Expert Anthony Fauci - Yahoo India News - August 4th, 2020
- ICMR to host global web conference on science, ethics of COVID-19 vaccine starting 4.30 pm today - Firstpost - August 4th, 2020
- ENCODE3: Interpreting the human and mouse genomes - Science Codex - July 31st, 2020
- Revealing the intrinsic functioning of human and mouse genomes - Tech Explorist - July 31st, 2020
- Maternal Immune Activation Causes Schizophrenia-like Behaviors in the Offspring through Activation of Immune-Inflammatory, Oxidative and Apoptotic... - July 31st, 2020
- Podcast: The ancient war between genes and disease - Genetic Literacy Project - July 31st, 2020
- Pitt's School of Public Health welcomes students with opera about obstetrician who championed hand-washing - TribLIVE - July 31st, 2020
- BNGO Stock Price: BioNano Genomics Inc. retreats, starts week in the red - FXStreet - July 31st, 2020
- A Genetic Mutation Reveals How the SARS-CoV-2 Virus Strikes - Technology Networks - July 31st, 2020
- 88-Year Old Daniel Smith, Son Of Slave, Tells His Story - Moguldom - July 31st, 2020
- 23andMe Releases Devastating Analysis of Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade - Futurism - July 31st, 2020
- MSU researcher earns grant to study effects of droughts - MSUToday - July 31st, 2020
- Massive Growth in Human Genetics Market Breaking new grounds and touch new level in Upcoming Year by QIAGEN, Agilent Technologies, Thermo Fisher... - July 30th, 2020
- CEO of genome analysis firm: We have the data to prove people will take care of themselves - University of Miami - July 30th, 2020
- Researchers from U of T, Harvard study collective human behaviour amid COVID-19 - News@UofT - July 30th, 2020
- Gene mutations discovered as a trigger for male infertility - BioNews - July 29th, 2020
- Cerevel Therapeutics and Cyclica Announce Research Collaboration to Use Artificial Intelligence to Accelerate Discovery of Novel Medicines in... - July 29th, 2020
- Relatives of coronavirus may have been in bats for decades - Opelika Auburn News - July 29th, 2020
- Link between platelets and Covid-19 virus? - The New Indian Express - July 29th, 2020
- Fortress Biotech Announces Publication of Study on Targeted Next Generation Sequencing for Newborn Screening of Menkes Disease in Molecular Genetics... - July 29th, 2020
- New 23andMe Study Reveals the Genetic Legacy of Slavery in the Americas - Gizmodo - July 29th, 2020
- The Groundbreaking Scientist Who Risked All in Pursuit of His Beliefs - The New York Times - July 29th, 2020
- 23andMe and GSK Head to Clinical Trials With Cancer Drug - MSN Money - July 29th, 2020
- Human Genetics - David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA - July 29th, 2020
- Discovering how genetic 'dark matter' plays a role in mental illness is just the tip of the iceberg for human health - The Conversation UK - July 29th, 2020
- Prevail Therapeutics Granted Composition of Matter Patent for Experimental Gene Therapy Program PR006 - GlobeNewswire - July 29th, 2020
- The toll of shrinking jaws on human health | Stanford News - Stanford University News - July 28th, 2020
- Global Hereditary Genetic Testing Market (2020 to 2030) - Analysis and Forecast - GlobeNewswire - July 28th, 2020
- Triplet Therapeutics nabs Scholar Rock R&D exec as new CSO - FierceBiotech - July 27th, 2020
- Meet Dr Sarah Gilbert, one of the scientists leading the race to find a coronavirus vaccine - The Indian Express - July 27th, 2020
- Genetic basis of bats superpowers revealed - KLBK | KAMC | EverythingLubbock.com - July 27th, 2020
- Study of Gene's Hormone Effects Leads to Surprise Insight into Pituitary Tumors - University of Michigan Health System News - July 26th, 2020
- Dutch University hospital Radboudumc finds genetic mutation as a reason for lack of defense against corona - Innovation Origins - July 26th, 2020
- Tailoring Depression Treatment With Genetics - Technology Networks - July 26th, 2020
- Genetic puzzle: How mice can be modified to help in the race to develop coronavirus therapies - Genetic Literacy Project - July 26th, 2020
- The genetic basis of bats' superpowers revealed - Newswise - July 26th, 2020
- Inside the Global Quest to Trace the Origins of COVID-19and Predict Where It Will Go Next - TIME - July 26th, 2020
- Baylor Genetics and the City of Houston Form COVID-19 Testing Partnership - PRNewswire - July 25th, 2020
- Triplet Therapeutics Appoints Alan Buckler, Ph.D., as Chief Scientific Officer - Business Wire - July 25th, 2020
- The genetic basis of bats superpowers revealed - YubaNet - July 25th, 2020
- Fireflies help kindle new tests and treatments for COVID-19 - TMC News - Texas Medical Center News - July 25th, 2020