Its a sweltering afternoon in Hollywood and Im navigating a grittier part of town in search of my soul. In truth, anyone searching for their soul in Hollywood should probably be directed to the nearest mental health facility, but Im on the trail of Harry the Healer, shaman to the stars.
As I pull up to the address Harry texted me, it appears to not exist, or is somehow hidden on the street of mostly run-down cottages. This is where celebs come for healing? Id expected a ritzy mansion given Harrys supposed clientele (his devotees range from screen vet Anthony Hopkins to Aussie Hollywood brat packers Todd Lasance, Liam McIntyre and Luke Mitchell). My stomach tightens. What the hell am I doing, going to a strange mans house on my own? I text my husband the address, just in case.
When I finally find the front door, Im greeted by a slim but muscular older man whose golden skin literally glows back at me as he leans in for a warm hug. Harry the Healer (real name Harry Paul) looks exceedingly healthy and happy.
He leads me to a dark treatment room where a massage bed glimmers under slowly flashing disco lights. Spa music plays and the air conditioning hums (thank God). I must be in the right place after all. Plus, Harry told me on the phone that he once got drunk with Chris Hemsworth; call me shallow but that counts for something.
While I wouldnt have assumed getting wasted would lead to spiritual enlightenment, this is Hollywood. Celebrities have long espoused their devotion to some form of spirituality, be it Madonna, Britney Spears and Demi Moore following Kabbalah or Tom Cruises obsession with Scientology. But while those are huge organisations with textbook religious studies, the current spiritual trend is getting more personal, and making superstars out of individual healers who are tapping into the worlds current obsession with all things woo woo and wellness.
Jennifer Anistons recent revelation that shes been partaking in goddess circles for the past three decades where she and her girlfriends sit in a circle and pass around a talking stick to help navigate major life events sparked a slew of internet headlines. And when Gwyneth Paltrow isnt spruiking vaginal steaming or Psychic Vampire Repellent, shes extolling the powers of her personal spirit guide and bro, shaman Durek who calls her his soul sis.
But why exactly am I here? Like most mums of young children, Im consumed by the needs of my two daughters to the point that Ive found myself asking, Who am I, again? Or rather, Who was I? Im longing to rediscover myself and, over the next two weeks, I plan to make like Gwyn and Jen and do some serious soul-searching.
In preparation for today, I watched a video of a shaman performing healing on a woman. She sits closed-eyed as he converses with spirits through her body, speaking rapidly in an African language, which then propels her into what looks like a nightmare of an orgasm. It looks horrific but Im oddly intrigued.
The main reason Im here, though, is to strengthen my connection to my mother, who passed away 26 years ago,and who introduced me to spirituality. I have many happy memories of perusing the aisles of Londons annual Mind, Body and Spirit Festival with her in my early teens, watching reiki masters and crystal healers at work.
And when Mum got cancer, after radiotherapy didnt help, she had electromagnetism therapy, which uses crystals to help balance energy frequencies in the body. Even her sceptical GP attributed it to her living for four years after her diagnosis and called it a miracle.
What would you say life is asking of you at the moment? Harry interrupts my thoughts. Youre not going to make me cry, are you? I blurt out. In the serene setting I suddenly feel emotionally vulnerable, which in real life I thankfully dont have time to. Probably, he smiles gently. I tell him of my yearning to connect with Mum.
Writer, Madeline Collins with her mum.
Were either connected or were distracted, Harry croons smoothly. The mind is connected to the breath so you need to be aware of your breathing. I rarely am. Shallow breathing, shallow life. If you start getting distracted, breathe and connect internally.
Were human beings, not human doings, he goes on. I love that. So when you authentically let go, youll get more than you dreamed of. He tells me of superstar clients who have the adulation of the world but still want to kill themselves. Remember, your opinion is the only one that matters. Try telling my kids that.
Harry reads that Im addicted to heavy-dense energy due to my habit of expecting things to go wrong so that I cant be disappointed, and that Im here because my soul and spirit is calling for me to elevate, let go and be free. Hes a wise man whos suddenly brandishing a huge vibrating machine. It looks like its straight out of the 80s, just like the disco lights.
Lets find where you hold tension in your body, Harry says, as he slowly moves the machine up and down my legs, over my stomach, across my heart and back again. Then, after asking permission to touch me, he begins to knead my jaw, which really hurts.
Hang in there, he says. Can you see your mum? Shes here. But hes mistaken. Behind closed eyes, I suddenly see the beautiful face and hear the voice of my friend and former flatmate, who died in 2018 of a swift and aggressive form of cancer.
I was so devastated when I learnt of her passing via her husbands Facebook page that I couldnt leave my house for a week.
Tears roll down my cheeks as she answers a question Ive wrestled with since her death. I hadnt expected this and feel huge relief that Ive found some way to connect with my friend, who I never got to say goodbye to.
I leave Harrys hidden house with a sense of inner calm (and a strict recommendation to switch to pH-balanced alkaline water).
Im staring at Andrea Bendewalds chiselled jawline, trying to work out where I know it from ... its Suddenly Susan, the critically panned but oh-so juicy 90s sitcom. Recently, she had a bit part in Apple TVs Morning Wars, but today, shes guiding me in a full-moon circle.
Andrea is something of a circling savant she regularly leads circles for Jennifer Aniston, including at her 50th birthday getaway in Mexico. The actresses have been friends for more than 30 years; they both attended Manhattans High School of Performing Arts before moving to LA.
Jennifer Aniston with Andrea Bendewald.
Needless to say, my expectations are high as I rock up to DEN Meditation in Studio City, just over the hill from Hollywood. I enter the large, dimly lit room and see 12 other women setting up their place. Thankfully I fit in well in my no-label activewear. There are women of all shapes and sizes, none displaying the sports-bra-bursting boob jobs you often see in Hollywood wellness classes.
Andrea begins slowly beating a drum to connect us to our own heartbeat. Imagine theres a lotus flower at the top of your crown chakra, it opens up and a beautiful white light extends into the sky and the full moon were sitting under, she guides.
I try my best but my mind keeps wandering to where Id rather be: the beach. Luckily, attention soon turns to the talking stick, the centrepiece of circling, which Andrea describes as an interactive mindfulness practice and talking meditation. She encourages us to channel the fullmoons energy in positive ways, which can otherwiselead to anger and sadness.
Guidelines include no commenting on what someone else says, and whatevers shared in the circle stays there. If we hear something that resonates with us, were encouraged to murmur a-ho, a spiritually polite version of ken oath.
Each person holds the stick in turn and speaks their truth: overwhelmed mums; women feeling stuck from moving forward or going through dark times; those who find meditating lonely and came seeking a community from the circle. Its all relatable stuff and were a-hoing galore.
Im the only one who has an ugly cry, after speaking about Mum.
I feel a kinship with all the strangers in the room, yet dont feel the need to swap numbers when the circle ends. I leave vowing to return, despite the four-hour round trip. Goddess or full-moon circles may sometimes be dismissed as zany or frivolous (a common pattern when it comes to groups of females throughout history), but theres something undeniably powerful about women banding together and sharing their struggles to lift one another up.
Im still on a spiritual high three days later when I speak to shaman Durek on the phone. We couldnt meet in person due to scheduling conflicts, but Im determined to absorb his wisdom (he also counts Nina Dobrev, Selma Blair and Gerard Butler as fans).
I tell Durek about my mum and he speaks at breakneck speed, imparting all kinds of fascinating and life-affirming information I cant possibly keep up with. No wonder he has Hollywood enthralled.
Suddenly he tells me to tap my left hand three times. I eagerly oblige. Was he going to give me the connection to Mum I was craving? Gwyneth had lost her beloved father and she trusted him After a few more instructions, I feel a floating feeling throughout my body and my feet start tingling. But then Durek tells me a hawk has just landed outside his window and is staring at him, and that hawks signify a breakthrough to the other side.
Oooh, you just lost me, says my inner sceptic.
Not that I dont believe him. In grief, religion or any kind of healing, my motto is whatever works. And having taken time to focus, I feel more connected to myself than I have in years, and to Mum, too. Above all, Ive realised that pausing to breathe and be in the moment is perhaps the most powerful tonic for this often-crazy world. So while summoning ancient spirits isnt my thing, Im already counting down the days until the next full moon.
This article originally appeared in the February 2020 issue of marie claire.
Go here to read the rest:
- Summer solstice spiritual meaning: What does the summer solstice mean in astrology? - Express.co.uk - June 20th, 2020
- Testing faith: Spirituality in the face of tragedy and COVID-19 in Nova Scotia - TheChronicleHerald.ca - June 20th, 2020
- Finding spiritual light in a lonely place - The Daily Universe - Universe.byu.edu - June 20th, 2020
- Stories and Spirituality Are Driving Passions for Confrontation Theatre's Artistic Director - Willamette Week - June 20th, 2020
- What is the spiritual meaning of the heart? - Aleteia IT - June 20th, 2020
- A Chance to Recharge Mentally, Spiritually and Emotionally - The New York Times - June 20th, 2020
- Young Adventist Wins Second Place in 'Voice of Bulgaria' With Spiritual Song - Adventist Review - June 20th, 2020
- International Yoga Day: The relevance of yoga and the benefits of incorporating it for spiritual growth - Times Now - June 20th, 2020
- Is Being Religious and LGBTQ+ Mutually Exclusive? - Advocate.com - June 20th, 2020
- Catholic composer David Haas accused of 'sexual battery' and 'spiritual manipulation' - Catholic News Agency - June 20th, 2020
- Kunal Kapoor: I think technology changes the world outside and spirituality changes the world inside - Times of India - June 20th, 2020
- Happy Monday 06/15 by The Power of Love Radio | Spirituality - BlogTalkRadio - June 20th, 2020
- Transported across the centuries at the feast day festival at the Baptistery of St John in Florence, Italy - Catholic Leader - June 20th, 2020
- International Day of Yoga 2020: A Brief History of This Spiritual Discipline And The Art of Living Healthy - India.com - June 20th, 2020
- Fit for Life: Physical, Spiritual and Emotional Health - GoLocal Worcester - June 20th, 2020
- Spirits over spirituality? |India Today Insight - India Today - June 1st, 2020
- Spirituality - June 1st, 2020
- Vatican official: Racism is 'spiritual' virus that must be wiped out - Catholic News Service - June 1st, 2020
- Are you a good spiritual mother to your children and your loved ones? - Aleteia EN - June 1st, 2020
- Joan of Arcs spiritual life propelled her to martyrdom - Aleteia IT - June 1st, 2020
- Why, More Than Ever, We Need Nurses as Spiritual Comforters - CBN News - June 1st, 2020
- SOMETHING TO CONSIDER: We cultivate our spiritual life - Herald-Banner - June 1st, 2020
- LETTERS: Connecting spiritual communities important, but only in safe ways - Sentinel Colorado - June 1st, 2020
- ELDER: Dealing with the reality of an unseen spiritual realm - Rockdale Newton Citizen - June 1st, 2020
- Informative New Book Answers Important Questions Around Politics and Climate Change as Related to the Spiritual World - GlobeNewswire - June 1st, 2020
- Religious, spiritual services allowed to continue in person as Washington state counties reopen - KUOW News and Information - June 1st, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: June 2020 - Publishers Weekly - June 1st, 2020
- Tending to Your Spiritual Well-Being - KSRO - June 1st, 2020
- This is what were for: LAPD officers call in spiritual backup during pandemic - Angelus News - June 1st, 2020
- National Philoptochos Responds With A Multi-Pronged Approach to Provide Financial, Emotional, Spiritual and Loving Support to Individuals and Families... - June 1st, 2020
- While some try to politicize wearing face masks, for me it's a spiritual practice - Baptist News Global - June 1st, 2020
- Our view: BSA spiritual care team among local heroes on front lines of virus battle - Amarillo.com - June 1st, 2020
- On the spirituality of quarantine - The Christian Century - May 15th, 2020
- Motherhood and spirituality - The Catholic Sun - May 15th, 2020
- Eustace Was a Dragon All Along: Aslan and Spiritual Growth in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - tor.com - May 15th, 2020
- The spiritual modernist and iconoclast - Times of Malta - May 15th, 2020
- Fight and win the spiritual battle | Faith | frontiersman.com - Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman - May 15th, 2020
- Launch of Center for Spiritual Imagination hailed as 'exactly what is needed in these times' - Episcopal News Service - May 15th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: We all must do our part - Wicked Local - May 15th, 2020
- AMERICAN THEATRE | Tom Key: A Spiritual Connection - American Theatre - May 15th, 2020
- In It Together! 05/14 by Angel Talk Cafe | Spirituality - BlogTalkRadio - May 15th, 2020
- Army Chaplains Getting Creative in Helping Soldiers with Personal, Emotional and Spiritual Challenges - CBN News - May 15th, 2020
- Doctor's Orders: The value of purpose and spiritual health - Daily Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Wong Kar-Wais In the Mood for Love Spiritual Sequel Back on Track with New Filming Plans - IndieWire - May 15th, 2020
- Which qualities of Lord Hanuman should be in a Spiritual Master? - Times Now - May 15th, 2020
- What Is The Spiritual Meaning Of Angel Numbers 1010 - YourTango - May 15th, 2020
- Front-line workers receive 'spiritual' boost with blessing of the hands - Long Island Catholic - May 15th, 2020
- I provide spiritual care at a Seattle hospital. Here's what that means during the coronavirus pandemic - KUOW News and Information - May 15th, 2020
- The beauty of spiritual motherhood, according to John Paul II - Aleteia IT - May 15th, 2020
- Free Webinar: Spiritual Discovery: How you can better the world" - Patch.com - May 15th, 2020
- Just Call Me Pastor: Strengths of head, heart and hand - La Grande Observer - May 15th, 2020
- The spirituality of science - Economic Times - May 9th, 2020
- Pope warns against spiritual mafias that blind the soul to God - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - May 9th, 2020
- Spiritual Care at the Front Lines of the Pandemic - Sojourners - May 9th, 2020
- The Amazing Health Benefits of Spiritual Wellness - Lasentinel - May 9th, 2020
- Spiritual editorial: Jesus meets us wherever we are - NorthcentralPa.com - May 9th, 2020
- Spiritually speaking: The inherent power of humility | Religion - The Philadelphia Tribune - May 9th, 2020
- Our emotional, spiritual, financial and physical health depends on safely reopening Washington now - The Reflector - May 9th, 2020
- Abandoned but never forgotten Millmoor the spiritual home of the Millers - Yorkshire Post - May 9th, 2020
- Word of the Week: Yogi, a word for the spiritually wise - Hindustan Times - May 9th, 2020
- Spirituality at the core of sax greats sound - Mail and Guardian - May 3rd, 2020
- Coronavirus Is Good News for the Wellness Industry - VICE UK - May 3rd, 2020
- What does it mean to be spiritually blind? - Journal Review - May 3rd, 2020
- Hello, this is... podcast | Gaur Gopal Das on spirituality in times of a global pandemic - Moneycontrol.com - May 3rd, 2020
- Hello! This is... | Spirituality in times of a global pandemic - Moneycontrol.com - May 3rd, 2020
- Health and compassion for the mind and spirit - Vashon-Maury Island Beachcomber - May 3rd, 2020
- In this episode, The Filter taps into the spiritual - Flatland - May 3rd, 2020
- Spirituality and Reading.. On The Hangout Hour - hcam.tv - May 3rd, 2020
- The Spiritual Treadmill - The Sunday Guardian - May 3rd, 2020
- Pentecostals and the spiritual war against coronavirus in Africa - The Conversation Africa - May 3rd, 2020
- With knowledge from past outbreaks, many Indigenous people return to traditional medicines - Winnipeg Free Press - May 3rd, 2020
- Plan ahead for how you will continue working on your spiritual life once the lockdown is lifted - Aleteia EN - May 3rd, 2020
- What spiritual retreats can teach us about the challenges of lockdown - The Conversation UK - May 3rd, 2020
- Building Spiritual Readiness in the Time of COVID-19 - United States Army - April 15th, 2020
- NCR readers share how they keep spiritually grounded, part three - National Catholic Reporter - April 15th, 2020
- Stay Safe by Practicing Religion and Spirituality from Home - Merrillfotonews - April 15th, 2020
- COVID-19 and the Spiritual Life | Dale M. Coulter - First Things - April 15th, 2020
- Spiritual Health Matters in the COVID-19 Crisis - MedicineNet - April 15th, 2020
- Chaplains and Spiritual Care in Hospitals During the Coronavirus Pandemic - The New Yorker - April 15th, 2020
- Special Report: Welcome to the New Age of Spiritual Luxury - Highsnobiety - April 15th, 2020