In the predawn darkness, you can see an eerie red glow shining from the windows of the Hudson, Wis., home of Thaddeus Owen and his fiance, Heidi Sime.
The couple are awake, having slept in their Faraday cage a canopy over their bed that blocks electromagnetic fields like the Wi-Fi signals or radiation from cellphone towers, which they believe are harmful.
Their primal sleeping environment also has special pads under the bed that are supposed to mimic the effect of sleeping on the ground under the influence of the Earths magnetic field, thus combating Magnetic Field Deficiency Syndrome.
Their house is bathed in red light because they think white incandescent, LED and fluorescent lighting robs them of sleep-regulating melatonin hormones. They wear special sunglasses indoors for the same reason, blocking the blue light from computers, cellphones or televisions when its dark outside.
Their morning routine includes yoga in a shielded, infrared sauna designed to create an EMF-free ancestral space, and putting tiny spoonfuls of bitter white powders under their tongues. These are nootropics, so-called smart drugs, which are supposed to improve focus, mood or memory.
When day breaks, they go out in their yard and face the rising sun Thaddeus in shorts and no shirt, Heidi in a sports bra and yoga pants doing Qigong in the snow and 25-degree air.
Getting early-morning sunlight, they believe, will correctly set the circadian rhythm of their bodies. Exposing their skin to the freezing temperatures, they hope, will help release human growth hormone, stimulate their immune system and trigger the body to burn fat to heat itself.
Forget Blue Zones. This is what your morning looks like if youre biohacking your way to an optimal you.
Biohacking is a DIY biology movement that started in Silicon Valley by people who want to boost productivity and human performance and engineer away aging and ordinary life spans. Think of it as high-tech tinkering, but instead of trying to create a better phone, biohackers are trying to upgrade to a faster, smarter, longer lasting, enhanced version of themselves.
Owen, 44, describes it as a journey of self-experimentation, using practices that are not talked about by mainstream media and your family doctor. His aim is to combine the latest technology and science with ancient knowledge to modify his environment, inside and out.
My entire goal is to basically age in reverse, he said.
Aiming for supernormal
Owen, who is from New York, studied chemical engineering in college. He worked for Procter & Gamble, helping to create beauty care products, and for pharmaceutical firms, developing manufacturing processes.
Now he works from home, managing worldwide product regulations in the sustainability department for office furniture company Herman Miller. But he moonlights as a biohacking guru.
He started a Twin Cities biohacking Meetup group that organizes weekly cold-water immersions at Cedar Lake in Minneapolis. Hes given a TEDx talk urging audience members to wear blue-light-blocking glasses indoors at night.
Hes helping to organize a Cold Thermogenesis and Heat Shock retreat at the end of next month in Pequot Lakes, Minn., where 50 people will pay up to $2,300 to spend four days going on shiver walks, drinking Bulletproof coffee and plunging into ice water.
He founded the website primalhacker.com and he and the 45-year-old Sime (who also goes by the name Tomorrow) run a website called thaddeustomorrow.com, where they market biohacking products like red light panels, a baby blanket that blocks EMF radiation and a $5,499 Faraday cage sauna thats the same type used by Twitter founder Jack Dorsey.
Owen said he relies on tons of research to support avoiding blue light at night and the healing properties of the early morning sun.
The Harvard Health Letter, for example, said that blue light from devices, LED and compact fluorescent bulbs can throw off the bodys circadian rhythm, affect sleep and might contribute to cancer, diabetes, heart disease and obesity. Some studies have shown that exposing people to cold temperatures burns calories and repeated cold-water immersions might stimulate the immune system.
And those infrared saunas? They dont appear to be harmful and maybe they do some good, according to Dr. Brent Bauer, an internal medicine expert at the Mayo Clinic.
But being healthy really doesnt need to be that complicated, according to Dr. Michael Joyner, a human performance specialist at the Mayo Clinic.
All these things sound great, Joyner said of the biohacks. Theres a ring of what I call bioplausibility to them.
But Joyner said its often hard to find evidence that biohacking practices actually work and that most Americans would be healthier if they just followed basic advice.
You need to go for a walk, not smoke, not drink too much, dont eat too much, he said.
But Owens goal is not to be merely healthy.
I want my biology to be shifted to that supernormal range, where Im optimally healthy, he said.
Moving into the mainstream?
When he started biohacking about 12 years ago, Owens goal was to improve his sleep. As a competitive athlete, he was fit, but he had problems with anxiety and insomnia.
So he started wearing special glasses to block blue light. His co-workers used to think he was odd. Now Owens company is asking him for advice on what kind of lighting should be used in work settings to keep employees healthy. And his sleep and anxiety problems have gone away.
I went from being the weird guy to being consulted, he said.
We all sort of watch what he does, said Gabe Wing, director of sustainability at Herman Miller and Owens boss. Wing said Owen has influenced some co-workers to try blue-light-blocking tools. But no one at the Michigan-based company is going outside shirtless in the winter.
Still, more people are biohacking. When Owen first got into it, he didnt know of any other biohackers in the Twin Cities. Now there are more than 500 people in the Biohackers Twin Cities Meetup group.
Susan Eiden regularly gets advice from Owen. The Minneapolis resident said using red lights at home has drawn comments from neighbors, but the lights combined with blue-blocking glasses and turning off the Wi-Fi at night have improved her sleep.
While many biohacks seem odd now, Owen is convinced that some of them will become common practices.
This whole blue light thing, its not going away, he said. More research comes out every day and its becoming more mainstream. And using nootropics is growing bigger and bigger every day, he said.
Owen takes supplements, some of which are considered prescription drugs in Europe and Russia, like phenylpiracetam, which is said to have boosted stamina among Soviet cosmonauts. Other preclinical compounds he and Sime use are in a regulatory gray area in the United States. Nootropic developers give them supplements that arent on the market yet because theyre biohacking influencers.
Were like lab rats. They send us stuff. We try it out, Sime said.
All for longevity
Owen and Sime have five of their children, ages 8 to 17, living with them. The kids wear blue-light-blocking glasses when they watch TV, but theyre OK with it, the couple said. Some of the kids have made videos or given talks to peers about the benefits of the glasses.
I think cellphone radiation is going to be the new lead, asbestos and smoking, said Owen, who turns his Wi-Fi off at night, keeps his cellphone in a special Faraday pouch when he sleeps and sometimes wears radiation-proof underwear.
(The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences says scientific evidence has not conclusively linked cellphone use with any adverse human health problems, although scientists admit that more research is needed.)
Owens diet isnt typical, either.
Hes been a vegan and a vegetarian. Now he eats what he describes as a local, seasonal diet: local vegetables, fruits, nuts and honey during the growing season. Thats followed by a high-fat, low-carb ketogenic diet in late fall and early winter. Then an all-carnivore diet in late winter, including animals hes raised at a friends farm.
One of the few white light bulbs he has in his house is pointed at the stove because in red light, its hard to tell if meat is cooked.
He also consumes ceremonial grade cacao, coffee with collagen peptides and chocolate ghee and homemade sauerkraut thats fermented and subjected to special music that has the frequency of love.
Those are living microbes, so I infused them with a love frequency to make them happy and healthy, said Owen, who has a masters degree in holistic nutrition.
While he used to do marathons and triathlons, he now exercises for longevity rather than competition, with high-intensity training, weights, racquetball and cross-country skiing.
If its too cold to be barefoot when he goes out in the morning, hell put special straps on his boots to create a conductive connection between his body and the Earth.
Its a practice called grounding or Earthing thats supposed to allow electrons to pass between the Earth and his body to reduce inflammation and neutralize free radicals. Gwyneth Paltrow swears by it, according to an article on goop.com.
Owen doesnt have a particular longevity goal, unlike biohacker and Bulletproof Coffee founder Dave Asprey, who has said he wants to live to at least 180.
Owen just wants to be healthy and independent for as long as he lives.
I want to maximize the health of my biology to what its capable of, he said. I want to live the best life that I can. I want to be happy. And I want to have a body and a mind that does the things I want them to do.
The rest is here:
- 'Smart drugs' are real here's what's scientifically proven and how to tell if nootropics are right for you - Insider - June 15th, 2021
- Do Brain Supplements Really Improve Focus & Memory? Here's What the Science Says - Yahoo Lifestyle - June 15th, 2021
- Nootropics Brain Supplements Market 2021 2027 | Growth Dynamics, Revenue Outlook and Opportunities Forecast Excelerol, Zhou Nutrition, Neurofuse The... - June 15th, 2021
- Gus Kenworthy Joins beam as Global Athlete and Wellness Ambassador and Investor - PRNewswire - June 15th, 2021
- Comprehensive Analysis On Nootropics Market Based On Types And Application Express Keeper - Express Keeper - February 20th, 2021
- Nootropic Products Market Share, Historical Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast to 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel... - February 1st, 2021
- The 14 Best Nootropics and Smart Drugs Reviewed - October 19th, 2020
- Buy The Best Nootropics Online Today at Nootropics Depot - October 19th, 2020
- Global Nootropics Market Size, Share & Growth, Market Research and Industry Forecast Report, 2025 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) -... - October 19th, 2020
- Nootropics Brain Supplements Market 2020 Estimate CAGR Analysis, Technological Development Overview, Growth Trends and Competitive Research till 2027... - October 19th, 2020
- 'The Biohackers Guide to Getting Things Done In Times of Uncertainty' Episode 1: 'Why You Really Procrastinate' - CT Post - October 19th, 2020
- The best nootropics and what they can do for patient brain health - Chiropractic Economics - September 4th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Report to 2026 Industry Demand Analysis and Current Trend - Bulletin Line - August 10th, 2020
- I chewed brain-boosting nootropic gum for a week straight. Heres how it went - Digital Trends - August 9th, 2020
- 15 Ways Men Can Boost Their Productivity - The Good Men Project - August 6th, 2020
- I chewed brain boosting nootropic gum for a week straight. Heres how it went - Digital Trends - August 3rd, 2020
- Low-Alcohol Drinks Are the Future of Booze - GQ Magazine - August 3rd, 2020
- Global Nootropics Market - What Industry Holds for the Future post Covid? Growth Analysis & Complete Insights 2020 - 2026 - Market Research Posts - July 30th, 2020
- Can happy hour lose the booze? - The Hustle - July 30th, 2020
- Quokka Brew Debuts Jitter Free Coffee that will start your breakfast on the right foot natio ... - Drew Reports News - July 30th, 2020
- Future Growth Of Nootropics Market By New Business Developments, Innovations, And Top Companies Forecast To 2025 - CueReport - July 29th, 2020
- Global Nootropics Market Projections & Future Opportunities Recorded for the Period until 2027|Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc., Takeda... - July 29th, 2020
- Impact of Corona on Nootropics Market : What will prove favorable for Nootropics Market? - The Daily Chronicle - July 28th, 2020
- New Study on Global Nootropics Market | Know Which Companies Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of COVID-19:::Nootrobox, Cephalon,... - July 28th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Segmentation By Qualitative And Quantitative Research Incorporating Impact Of Economic and Non-Economic Aspects By 2027 - Owned - July 27th, 2020
- Global Nootropics Market Potential Growth, Demand by Regions, Types and Analysis of Key Players;Research Forecasts to 2027|Takeda Pharmaceutical... - July 24th, 2020
- Fun Gifts For Technology Lovers--Any Time Of Year! - knue.com - July 24th, 2020
- Zolmitriptan Market Size, Growth Trends, Top Players, Application Potential and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - July 21st, 2020
- Revolutionising the coffee industry - New Food - July 21st, 2020
- USANA (USNA) to Report Q2 Earnings: What's in the Cards? - Yahoo Finance - July 21st, 2020
- Nootropics Brain Supplements Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026... - July 20th, 2020
- USANA (USNA) to Report Q2 Earnings: What's in the Cards? - Yahoo Finance UK - July 20th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 19th, 2020
- Nootropics Manufacturers Profiles, Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up... - July 15th, 2020
- Smart Pills Technology Market Thriving Growth Over Forecast 2020 with Leading Players Proteus Digital Health, Chongqing Jinshan Science &... - July 11th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 11th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Nootropics Market Expected to Witness the Highest Growth 2027 with Top Key Players Company1, Company2, Company3, Company4, etc -... - July 11th, 2020
- Global Nootropics Market Set To Grow At Healthy CAGR Forecast By 2027 With Top Key Players Like Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited, Cephalon A/S,... - July 11th, 2020
- Simple ways to release workplace stress - Daily Pioneer - July 11th, 2020
- KOIOS nootropic beverages to be distributed through KeHE - food in canada - June 21st, 2020
- Nootropics Brain Supplements Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- Nootropics Market is Expected to Thrive at Impressive CAGR by 2026 & Top Key Players are Accelerated Intelligence Inc., Onnit Labs, Inc., Peak... - June 18th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - Jewish Life News - June 18th, 2020
- Need a Boost Working From Home? These Clinically Approved Supplements Can Help. - Greenwich Time - June 18th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Key Players, SWOT Analysis, Dynamics, Drivers, Key Indicators and Forecast to 2026 - Personal Injury Bureau UK - June 18th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Segmentation, Application, Technology, Analysis Research Report and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - April 27th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Analysis by Size, Share, Top Key Manufacturers, Demand Overview, Regional Outlook And Growth Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - April 27th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2026 - Latest Herald - April 27th, 2020
- 50,000 Entrepreneurs Tell Us How to Avoid Stress and Anxiety - Entrepreneur - April 27th, 2020
- 3 Tested Ways to Achieve High Work Performance and Deep Thinking - Entrepreneur - March 21st, 2020
- Crownhealth, The Premium Vegan Sports Nutrition Producer, Is Proud to Announce the Launch of Their New Organic Energy and Protein Bars - Yahoo Finance - March 21st, 2020
- Polyphenols from grape and blueberry show promise as effective nootropic ingredients - NutraIngredients-usa.com - March 21st, 2020
- Why the New Right Loves Nootropics - The New Republic - March 15th, 2020
- Nootropics Brain Supplements Market Size Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecasts Growth By 2024 - 3rd Watch News - March 15th, 2020
- How The Rich Are Protecting Themselves Against Coronavirus - Forbes - March 15th, 2020
- Sponsored content: Vitafoods Europe 2020 set to drive the global nutraceutical industry forward in the new decade - Nutritional Outlook - March 7th, 2020
- Brain health: The next big trend in functional beverages? - FoodNavigator-USA.com - February 29th, 2020
- 7 Nootropics That Combat Daytime Sleepiness and Boost Energy - The Crypto Coin Discovery - February 29th, 2020
- Would you try hacking your brain to perform better? - VOGUE India - February 29th, 2020
- Artists Mine Data and the Mostly Chilling Implications of AI in 'Uncanny Valley' - KQED - February 29th, 2020
- NOOTROPIC FOODS TO BOOST THE MEMORY DURING EXAMINATION - NewsPatrolling - February 29th, 2020
- Nootropics Expert | The Authority on Nootropic Supplements - January 25th, 2020
- How To Hack Your Brain - Top 6 Nootropics - January 25th, 2020
- Koios canned nootropic drink to be sold in over 10,000 retail locations by 2020 - BeverageDaily.com - December 13th, 2019
- Global Nootropics Market To Witness a Healthy Growth During 2020 To 2029 - Trade Examiner - December 13th, 2019
- This drink has the benefits of alcohol, without the hangover - Yahoo Finance - December 13th, 2019
- Nootropics Market: Rapid Increase In The Application Predict By 2029 - True Version - December 13th, 2019
- Flexitarianism may save the planet -- but it's killed the traditional European diet - FoodNavigator.com - December 13th, 2019
- Tracks of the week reviewed: Lauryn Hill, Grimes, Pet Shop Boys - The Guardian - November 25th, 2019
- These are the food trends youll see taking over Whole Foods in 2020 - Well+Good - October 24th, 2019
- Global Nootropics Market Will Grow Over USD 5959 Million By 2024 - Market News Network - October 24th, 2019
- Global Nootropics Market Estimated to Reach USD 5959 Million By 2024 - Daily Market Updates - October 1st, 2019
- Magtein Market Expected to Witness the Highest Growth during the Forecast Period 2019-2029 - The Tribune City - October 1st, 2019
- What killed Adrian Lamo? - Boing Boing - September 21st, 2019
- Latest Report on Nootropics Market Expects an Extensive Growth in ROI of USD 5959 Million By 2024 - News Hours Today - September 21st, 2019
- Biohacking: The Art and Science of Upgrading the Human Being - Interesting Engineering - September 21st, 2019
- Best Nootropics (Smart Drugs) to Unlock Your True Brain - June 3rd, 2019
- What are Nootropics? | Braintropic - June 3rd, 2019
- Nootropics - reddit - April 29th, 2019
- Best Nootropics 2019 (Updated from 2018) Nootropics Expert - April 29th, 2019