As the birthplace of the New Thought movement, with its significant ties to witchcraft, New England is home to a variety of religion and spirituality publishers, many of which delve into the occult and metaphysical. From Red Wheel Weiser (RWW), which has published books on new age topics since 2000, to Buddhist press Wisdom Publications, publishers in the region are taking advantage of some industry trends and the mood of the country to boost sales.
Instagram has become an increasingly useful way to discover both authors and readers, and the social media platform is having an impact on the kinds of books being published, according to several of the publishers in New England. Its more important to us now, and its very helpful to get the word out, says Daniel Aitken, CEO and publisher of Wisdom Publications.
The photo-centric social networking site has also contributed to the surging interest in witchcraft today, according to Michael Kerber, publisher of RWW. The press is ramping up its Instagram presence to promote its deep backlist of books on witchcraft. In part because of Instagram, Kerber says, he is looking for a whole new generation of authors for a whole new generation of readers. In this vein, next fall RWW will publish a yet-to-be-titled book on the Wheel of the Yearthe annual cycle of pagan festivalsby Temperance Alden, who has nearly 70,000 Instagram followers.
Audiobook sales have been steadily growing over the past several years, and religion and spirituality titles have benefitted from the interest in digital audiobooks. Christian publisher Paraclete Press launched its first five audio titles last month and will release a total of 20 audiobooks during its 20192020 publishing season. Likewise, the mind-body-spirit publisher Inner Traditions is aggressively promoting its newly launched audiobooks program, and the publisher will do more titles with simultaneous print, e-book, and audio publications in 2020.
Each New Englandbased publisher interviewed by PW is looking to 2020 with a strong sense of optimism. Jon Sweeney, publisher and editor-in-chief at Paraclete, says the press will continue to publish books that reflect an ecumenical view of Christianity, including Cloud Devotion by David Robinson (Jan. 2020). The book of devotions is based on the medieval classic The Cloud of Unknowing.
Wisdoms Aitken notes he has launched a variety of multimedia products since taking the helm in 2016. These include a podcast and the Wisdom Academy, an online collection of courses and lectures. The nonprofit press, which publishes books on Buddhism as well as mindfulness, also recently launched a subscription-based membership program that allows users to access all Wisdom books, videos, lectures, and more. Its sort of Netflix for meditators, Aitken says.
U.S. Games Systems (USGS), which has published tarot, divination, oracle, and inspiration decks for over 50 years, has benefited from a change in the publics mind-set regarding tarot readings, according to Lynn Araujo, the companys director of communications. Its come out of the shadowsthe media has changed, people from all religious backgrounds are using it for exploring issues, and theres been a shift in perspective, she says. Anything that can be used as a tool for self-knowledge is a good thing.
USGS offers artist-drawn tarot cards related to nature, animals, and more. Among its bestselling decks are the Herbcrafters Tarot, about creating rituals, and the Spiritsong Tarot, which incorporates the wisdom of animals. Moving forward, USGS is branching out into areas of self-help and conscious living, Araujo says. Life today is so fast-paced and public, people need to get back in touch with themselves and their inner lives, rather than their outer lives, she notes. People are looking for quiet momentsthats what these decks messages are bringing.
Having sold the imprint Conari Press to Mango Publishing last month, Kerber at RWW plans on increasing title output, revitalizing backlist titles, and publishing more broadly into the mind-body-spirit category in 2020. Next year is a big year for us, he says.
Amy Newmark, publisher of Chicken Soup for the Soul, reports a positive year for the self-help publisher, due in large part to what she refers to as the mood of the country. People are looking for books that give them hope, Newmark says. Theyre so worn down by the divisive politics and nasty stuff going on in Washingtonthey want a refuge and a reminder that people are inherently good, even when that behavior isnt reflected in Washington.
The company, which Newmark says is heavily print oriented, relies on high-impact book cover designs and placement in big box stores such as Walmart. Coming in 2020 are Chicken Soup for the Soul: Be You, which emphasizes female empowerment, and Chicken Soup for the Soul: Believe in Miracles.
John Haysv-p, director of sales and marketing at Inner Traditions (IT)cited what he calls a self-care movement in American society that is helping drive sales for the press. People are more interested in alternative therapies and herbal remedies, he says. The opioid crisis has turned many off of unnecessary pharmaceuticals and onto our categories.
IT is publishing Crystal Basics by Nicholas Pearson (Feb. 2020), a step-by-step guide to cleansing, charging, and activating the healing properties of crystals. And in April, Scripting the Life You Want by Royce Christyn will combine the law of attraction and New Thought methods with daily journaling practices.
Return to main feature.
A version of this article appeared in the 12/02/2019 issue of Publishers Weekly under the headline: Spirituality Publishers
See the original post here:
- David Nichtern on Spirituality and Making a Buck - Lion's Roar - January 30th, 2020
- Spiritual festival curated to bring world together in peace, love and harmony - Hindustan Times - January 30th, 2020
- The Ark brings shelter to those in spiritual need - Kern Valley Sun - January 30th, 2020
- 'Satanic wombs': the outlandish world of Trump's spiritual adviser - The Guardian - January 30th, 2020
- An Unexpected Spiritual Balm - Word and Way - January 30th, 2020
- Actors asked to find a spirituality for new Belfry production - Peninsula News Review - January 30th, 2020
- Spiritual Sounds unites a world of faiths in the East Village - amNY - January 30th, 2020
- What on Earth is wrong with Paula White, Trump's spiritual guru? - Washington Examiner - January 30th, 2020
- According to Trump's Spiritual Advisor It's Apparently Okay to Ask God to Terminate Pregnancies as Long as They're Satanic - Jezebel - January 30th, 2020
- Senior thesis Five Flights grapples with spiritual identity - Kenyon Collegian - January 30th, 2020
- Jefferson Award winner is a spiritual healer that attracts people from all over the country - WXOW.com - January 30th, 2020
- CITIZEN COLUMNIST: The value of discernment and spiritual discernment - SCNow - January 30th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Jim Lehrer: To live a life of integrity - Wicked Local Sharon - January 30th, 2020
- The 75th Anniversary of the Liberation of Auschwitz: Returning in Spiritual Triumph - Yated.com - January 30th, 2020
- Trump's Spiritual Advisor Comes Out in Favor of Abortion - Patheos - January 30th, 2020
- Ganga yatra to invoke spirituality, focus on need to clean river - Hindustan Times - January 30th, 2020
- Tend to spiritual needs too - Bryan County News - January 30th, 2020
- I never meditated, would rather be a criminal than spiritual: Ma Anand Sheela - India Today - January 30th, 2020
- We put Jen Aniston and Gwyneth's spirituality gurus to the test - Marie Claire - January 25th, 2020
- On matters biblical, spiritual belief, and marital in the land of matoke - Daily Nation - January 25th, 2020
- Top 10 Religion and Spirituality Books for Spring 2020 - Publishers Weekly - January 25th, 2020
- Spiritual book proposes that we should nurture our souls as we would a garden -- with love and tenderness - Benzinga - January 25th, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: February 2020 - Publishers Weekly - January 25th, 2020
- Getting spiritual: the real essence of yoga - The Age - January 25th, 2020
- Spiritual Intervention for Crime Prevention? - The Voice St. Lucia - January 25th, 2020
- 6 Bishops on Their Favorite Saints, Spirituality - National Catholic Register - January 25th, 2020
- The spiritual poet - The News on Sunday - January 25th, 2020
- Is the Spiritual Realm more Real than the Natural? Brad Jersak | Brad Jersak - Patheos - January 25th, 2020
- Terry Crews says intermittent fasting is his fitness secret but he's actually doing it for spiritual reasons - Yahoo Entertainment - January 25th, 2020
- The role of scriptures on the spiritual path - The Navhind Times - January 25th, 2020
- Undiluted Catholicism: what the Amazon really needs - Catholic Herald Online - January 25th, 2020
- Review: 'Babette's Feast' a warmhearted exploration of the spiritual and the sensual at Lamb's Players - The San Diego Union-Tribune - January 25th, 2020
- GRHS graduate using platform to write about spiritual themes - The Glen Rose Reporter - January 25th, 2020
- Abortion is socially sanctioned, sovereignly offensive and spiritually sinful | Guestview - Pensacola News Journal - January 25th, 2020
- Material achievements and spiritual perfections - Centurion Rekord - January 25th, 2020
- Pastor's 'spiritual DNA' will live on - Impartial Reporter - January 25th, 2020
- The theologian who helped MLK see the value of nonviolence - Sumter Item - January 25th, 2020
- Why "Business Meets Spirituality" Is an Important Leadership Trend For 2020 - Thrive Global - January 19th, 2020
- The Fall of Spirituality: The Blood-Soaked History of the Cathars - Ancient Origins - January 19th, 2020
- In this art gallery, conversations about religion and spirituality are welcome - The Oakland Press - January 19th, 2020
- A Spirituality of Aging: Deepening our Wisdom Years - CatholicPhilly.com - January 19th, 2020
- Spirituality and values in the Disney universe - Evangelical Focus - January 19th, 2020
- The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s spiritual influence remembered in Steubenville | News, Sports, Jobs - The Steubenville Herald-Star - January 19th, 2020
- 5 Reasons to jumpstart your spiritual reading in 2020 - Aleteia EN - January 19th, 2020
- Big Freedia Will Bring Bounce Tunes, Spiritual Experience When She Takes the Stage at Paper Tiger - San Antonio Current - January 19th, 2020
- Meaningful Conversations Chapel Hill looks for the spiritual basis of forgiveness - The Daily Tar Heel - January 19th, 2020
- Liverpool players spiritual preparations and how club respectfully honours faith behind the scenes - Liverpool Echo - January 19th, 2020
- Local Cantors are 'The Spiritual Caretakers of the Congregation' - The Jewish News - January 19th, 2020
- The 12 Best Mayan Sites to See in Guatemala - Fodor's Travel - January 19th, 2020
- Father beat children secluded on Ruinerwold farm with "spiritual sword": Report - NL Times - January 19th, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: What will your legacy be? - Wicked Local - January 19th, 2020
- The Ummah Chroma to Launch Spiritual & Meditative Installation at Het Nieuwe Instituut - HYPEBEAST - January 19th, 2020
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Pray for the president's spiritual aligning with Scripture - Anniston Star - January 19th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: 2020 vision for the New Year | Eden Prairie Opinion - SW News Media - January 19th, 2020
- The Shepherd and the Shrink | Dexter duo launches podcast combing spirituality and psychology - thesuntimesnews.com - January 12th, 2020
- Spirituality Has Long Been Erased From Art History. Heres Why Its Having a Resurgence Today - artnet News - January 12th, 2020
- Expert says medical professionals need better training on spiritual care - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - January 12th, 2020
- Its possible to be spiritual without following religious practices - Hindustan Times - January 12th, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Book Deals: January 8, 2020 - Publishers Weekly - January 12th, 2020
- The history of scientists dismissing spiritual experiences - The Week Magazine - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual New Year's resolutions - The News Star - January 12th, 2020
- Dubais Demand for Niche Spiritual Retreats on the Rise - Skift - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual Medium Yesenia Berbiar Aims To Heal Hearts By Connecting With Departed Family Members - KHTS Radio - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual editorial: Last year in the rear view mirror - NorthcentralPa.com - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual Alphabet Soup of Death and Dying - Thrive Global - January 12th, 2020
- KEEPING THE FAITH: Local spiritual leaders respond to recent national violence - Evening News and Tribune - January 12th, 2020
- Faith and Values: Look outward for spiritual growth in the new year - The Spokesman-Review - January 12th, 2020
- GOD SQUAD: Spiritual New Years resolutions - CTPost - January 12th, 2020
- Bill Tinsley: Develop a physically and spiritually healthy heart - StarNewsOnline.com - January 12th, 2020
- Czech out Svickova Na Smetane and get spiritual about bread: this week's food events in Eastern Iowa - The Gazette - January 12th, 2020
- The spiritual meaning of the word - magviral - January 12th, 2020
- I have faced the roughest time in my spiritual walk, Rose Muhando - The Standard - January 12th, 2020
- Blackbird, Regnum Christi, and the Legacy of Spiritual Abuse - Patheos - January 12th, 2020
- Music And Spirituality At 'Rising Song' Event - Jewish Week - January 5th, 2020
- Divine grace found in messiness of imperfect life - Times Colonist - January 5th, 2020
- Shamanism in Nepal: Inside the practices and spiritual world of Jhakri - The Independent - January 5th, 2020
- The three most important walks of existence: spirituality, relationships, and career success | By Judith Nwadigo - Qwenu! - January 5th, 2020
- Oddity is an Earthbound spiritual successor that used to be a fan sequel - PC Gamer - January 5th, 2020
- GUEST COLUMN: The spiritual pleasure (and poetry) of flowers - Wicked Local - January 5th, 2020
- Mother Teresa's former spiritual advisor accused of raping boy more than 1000 times - LGBTQ Nation - January 5th, 2020