METAIRIE, La. In late September, shortly after theNew Orleans Saints' Week 3 win over the Seattle Seahawks,Demario Daviswalked toward his stall in the Saints' locker room and noticed a white envelope on the black leather seat.
Davis knew it could be any number of things, including a fine. So when he slid the envelope open and read what was inside, he wasn't surprised he was beingdocked $7,017 for a uniform violation.
The piece of clothing that caused him to get fined? Yeah, that was a surprise.
"I was like, why did I get fined?" Davis told Yahoo Sports on Friday. "And they were like, it was a fine for my headband. And I was like, 'What? I got fined for that?'"
Davis' custom gold headband inscribed with "Man of God" in large block letters has special meaning for the 30-year-old linebacker, a deeply religious man with a track record of good works and social consciousness as long as his mounting on-field accomplishments.
He knew the NFL had a stringent uniform code the league prohibits players from "wearing, displaying, or otherwise conveying personal messages" during gameday events, and it actually pays people to watch each game closely for violations but he was surprised he was being docked for the headband, nonetheless.
"I had been wearing it all year, even since the preseason," Davis recalled with a chuckle. "And I was like, Yo, that's crazy that I just got fined for repping what I believe in."
Davis says he didn't necessarily feel he was being slighted by the NFL for the fine he thinks it was just enforcing the policy that was in place. Nevertheless, he went to his agent, who told him they could appeal on the grounds Davis didn't fully understand the rule and the headband wasn't visible on the field. His agent also asked Davis if he planned on wearing it again, to which Davis saidhe did not, since he wasn't intentionally trying to buck the rule.
Saints outside linebacker Demario Davis on the sideline during a preseason game against the Jets in late August. (Photo by Rich Graessle/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
But something funny happened before the appeal was ruled upon; the reason for Davis' fine went viral. Fans caped for his cause, the NFL endured criticism, and the support Davis got on social media and via snail mail was ridiculous.
"My locker used to be, like, full of stuff," Davis told Yahoo Sports. "And I still get stuff, of people just like thanking me for repping my faith and being strong."
Davis thinks that enormous amount of fan supportplayed a role in the league's decision in early October to rescind the fine, one that Davis did not see coming.
"Yeah, most times they don't overturn something like that," Davis said. "So I just like to think that was the power of God working behind the scenes, man."
And when it did, Davis sensed an opportunity to back up the headband's meaning through his actions. So he donated the entirety of the $7,017 fine, plus the $30,000 generated from the sale of the $25 headbandson his Instagram pageto St. Dominic Hospital in Jackson, Mississippi, where his mother once worked.
Two months later, Davis says he has sold nearly 9,000 headbands, totaling nearly $150,000 in profit which when you consider the equal-matching grant given to the hospital, which is hoping to expand its emergency department brings the total donations to a mind-blowing $300,000.
"It's crazy, it's amazing," Davis told Yahoo Sports, shaking his head at his locker on Friday. "God is good. Three-hundred thousand dollars, man? Come on, man!"
In retrospect, Davis realizes he shouldn't be surprised at the way this has turned out.
"That's just the power of God, man he takes negative situations and use them for positives," Davis said. "You notice like, people in the bibleGod doesn't look for the best or the biggest; he looks for the person who has been counted out. God is the king of taking bad situations and turning that into a positive."
Davis knows plenty about that. In his youth, he struggled with marijuana and alcohol, and found himselfin jail for three days a decade agoas a freshman at Arkansas State after an arrest for stealing groceries from a Walmart. Davis' college coach gave him another chance, and it was an ensuing conversation with the team chaplain that helped him look at his life differently.
"He helped me understand that we are all born with a bad heart, and that ruined my misconception we all have a good heart," Davis said. "Like, we all like to think we're good people at the end of the day, but what I realized is, no, we're all messing up and doing bad stuff because we're really bad and we need a new heart. But God will give you that."
Since then, Davis says he has devoted his life to, in his words, "being a billboard for Christ" with his actions. A year ago, Davis a member of the NFL's Players Coalition pushed for a bill that restored the right to vote to convicted felons in Louisiana (which was eventually signed into law), and in March, hehelped raise money for Flint, Michigan, to combat the water crisis that has received national attention.
Demario Davis holds a turkey leg as he heads off the field following a victory against the Atlanta Falcons at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on Thanksgiving. (Photo by Carmen Mandato/Getty Images)
In August, he helpedpay the bail of an immigration activistin California, and just this week, he teamed up with defensive end Cam Jordan and other teammates to present a $50,000 grant to a charter high school in New Orleans that's dedicated to teaching students skills they need in the tech industry.
What's more, on Sunday he'll be wearing a custom pair of Jordan XI cleats with the NFL's approval, thanks to the league's "My Cause, My Cleats" campaign touting the nonprofit he started with his wife in 2013 called "Devoted Dreamers," which is dedicated to giving kids the tools they need to be successful spiritually, mentally and physically.
"I remember coming up, the guy I looked up to was selling drugs, chasing girls, trying to prove they were the baddest, and that's the type of things that I chased after," Davis said. "So [I want] to show them, man, that you can still be cool and relevant and love God, love your family, be an upstanding man in the community and play ball and not feel like that's corny. Giving them something positive to emulate, that's what it's about."
For all of Davis' good works, the fact remains his celebrity took the biggest turn this fall thanks to his Pro Bowl-worthy play on the field he's in the midst of a career year and his "Man of God" headband flap with the NFL. When people see him on the street in New Orleans now, they notice who he is.
"They'll be like 'Oh man, that's the man of God right there!'" Davis recalled with a laugh. "That happens all the time, and they'll ask me where they can get the headbands."
Davis, a team captain for the Saints, loves the fact that people recognize him for being associated with his faith. But it's a position that comes with a great sense of responsibility.
It helps keep you accountable," Davis said.
And while he no longer wears the "Man of God" headband on the field (in accordance with NFL rules), he's always got something on his body that reminds him of his purpose. On this Friday, he's wearing a black rubber "Man of God" wristband, in addition to a cross around his neck.
Davis insists his faith is not about objects, it's about acts. He figures that if "Man of God" is written on his forehead by the way he lives his life, he doesn't even have to rep the headband on the field for people to know what he's about.
"I'mma rep God by action," Davis said. "People know me, they know I'm a man of God, and I think that's the most important branding. Anybody can put a headband on, anybody can wear a cross or some type of object, but when it's written on your heart, when it's written on your body without you even having to say anything, people can see it. And I think that's the most important thing."
More from Yahoo Sports:
- The Covid-19 pandemic tests everyone's spiritual wellbeing, atheists and believers alike - NBC News - September 21st, 2020
- Author Shares Journey of Spiritual Discovery and Healing in New Book - GlobeNewswire - September 21st, 2020
- Assemblies of God (USA) Official Web Site | Reaping a Spiritual Harvest - AG News - September 21st, 2020
- Autumn equinox spiritual meaning: What is the meaning behind the autumnal equinox? - Express - September 21st, 2020
- One Thing I Ask of YHWH: Humility and the Spiritual Search - jewishboston.com - September 21st, 2020
- Special Online Event: Being In The Now - A Spiritual Perspective - Patch.com - September 21st, 2020
- New priests will spark a 'spiritual pandemic' - The Catholic Weekly - September 21st, 2020
- From the Pulpit: God with us in time of spiritual warfare - The Daily Times - September 21st, 2020
- Owusu Bempah gives detailed account of how things work in the spiritual realm - GhanaWeb - September 21st, 2020
- This Life: Spiritual poverty is the real problem - Sight Magazine - September 21st, 2020
- FEC Chair Says There's No Separation of Church and State, Calls 2020 Election a 'Spiritual War' - Newsweek - September 21st, 2020
- Beatification cause opened for spiritual son of Padre Pio - Catholic News Agency - September 21st, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: Find your serenity in these crazy days - Wicked Local Georgetown - September 21st, 2020
- Faith matters: Awaken the spiritual artist within | Lifestyle - thereporteronline.com - September 21st, 2020
- Leaders in Peace Building, Science, Mindfulness and Spirituality to Transmit the Experience of Peace to 40 Million People Across the Globe on... - September 21st, 2020
- Sultan Hanfareh Ali Mirah, the spiritual chief of the Afars, passed away - ethiopiaobserver.com - September 21st, 2020
- 350km from Lucknow, 'Bhagwati Van' to be the spiritual tourism hub in UP - Knocksense - September 21st, 2020
- Free the Mass! A Call to Spiritual Arms for the Right to Worship - National Catholic Register - September 21st, 2020
- A Maltese artists quest for the spiritual - Times of Malta - September 21st, 2020
- Faith Matters: We are coming into an era of spiritual awakening - New Haven Register - September 4th, 2020
- SPIRIT MATTERS: In matters of the spirit, spirituality matters - LaSalle News Tribune - September 4th, 2020
- Science And Spirituality Sing Together - Wisconsin Public Radio News - September 4th, 2020
- Guiding Light: Spirituality and morality - Free Press Journal - September 4th, 2020
- Spiritual Resiliency Trips in the Holy Land - kacc.nrmc.amedd.army.mil - September 4th, 2020
- Uzbek TV Urges Battle Against 'Spiritual Viruses' (Homosexuality And Feminism) Threatening The Nation - Radio Free Europe/ Radio Liberty - September 4th, 2020
- Harvest Moon spiritual meaning: What does the September Full Moon mean for you? - Express - September 4th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Lets hear it for our teachers - Wicked Local Norwood - September 4th, 2020
- Cardinal Parolin says there's a spiritual harmony between Francis and Benedict XVI - La Croix International - September 4th, 2020
- 'God Has Not Left Them': Operation Blessing and Others Offer Aid and Spiritual Hope for Laura Survivors - CBN News - September 4th, 2020
- Material and spiritual acts - Daily Pioneer - September 4th, 2020
- Serving those who serve others: behavioral health and spiritualitys role to encourage resiliency - United States Army - September 4th, 2020
- Reawakening Of Pagan India And The Challenge It Can Pose To Abrahamic Worldviews: Part I - Swarajya - September 4th, 2020
- Review: Essay collection Vesper Flights reveres beauty, birds and spirituality - San Francisco Chronicle - August 31st, 2020
- God Is Dead. So Is the Office. These People Want to Save Both - The New York Times - August 31st, 2020
- Safety and spirituality: Youth groups plan to meet in-person during pandemic - Roanoke Times - August 31st, 2020
- Spiritual Coffee and the Path toward Wokeness - Patheos - August 31st, 2020
- Republican National Convention kicks off with a near spiritual devotion to Trump - CNBC - August 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus Lockdowns Are Creating a Mental Health and Spiritual Crisis - The National Interest - August 31st, 2020
- They also serve who only stand and wait: Ethical and spiritual response to the covid-19 pandemic - The BMJ - The BMJ - August 31st, 2020
- Spiritual advisor says Keith Nelson is resigned to fact he will be executed Friday - WTHITV.com - August 31st, 2020
- Bushido Blade Spiritual Successor Die By The Blade Heads To Kickstarter For PS4, PS5 - PlayStation Universe - August 31st, 2020
- Korra's Spiritual Connection Goes Beyond Her Role as the Avatar - CBR - Comic Book Resources - August 31st, 2020
- Spiritual Side: Learn about services and events of local houses of worship - The West Volusia Beacon - August 31st, 2020
- Pope Francis spiritually united with pilgrims honouring Our Lady of Czestochowa - Vatican News - August 31st, 2020
- Remembering Richard The Rev Ricci: Pitt alum and spiritual force behind Night of the Living Dead - University of Pittsburgh The Pitt News - August 31st, 2020
- Without Reservation: Awakening to Native American Spirituality 08/25 by BITEradio me | Spirituality - BlogTalkRadio - August 31st, 2020
- OPINION/SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: Neither snow nor rain nor politics - Wicked Local Fall River - August 31st, 2020
- A Spiritual Walk: What is your perfect vision for healing the world? - New Baltimore Voice Newspapers - August 10th, 2020
- ISSUES OF FAITH: The spirituality of the ordinary - Peninsula Daily News - August 10th, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: It is our religious calling - News - Wicked Local Plymouth - August 10th, 2020
- The Orthodox Female Spiritual Leader Working with Converts - Jewish Journal - August 10th, 2020
- As coronavirus curtails travel, backyard pilgrimages become the way to a spiritual journey - The Conversation US - August 10th, 2020
- For Ottessa Moshfegh, Novel Writing Is a Spiritual Experience - The Nation - August 10th, 2020
- The role of kindness in the spiritual life - Aleteia IT - August 10th, 2020
- Why Mennonites, Lutherans and other say farming has a spiritual side - Deseret News - August 10th, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: A trip to the movies - Milford Daily News - August 10th, 2020
- The pandemic can be more than purgatory. It can be a time of deep spiritual formation. - The Dallas Morning News - August 10th, 2020
- Police violence meets spiritual resistance in the struggle over DAPL - NationofChange - August 10th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Don't Throw Your Own Pity Party and Attend - Dallasweekly - August 10th, 2020
- Spiritual Reflections: It has been a season of humility - SW News Media - August 10th, 2020
- Live: Raising Emotionally and Spiritually Healthy Bochurim - Anash.org - Good News - August 10th, 2020
- KATHIE DEASY Ironclad sparks ideas of being armed in spiritual iron - Port Arthur News - The Port Arthur News - August 10th, 2020
- '90 Day Fianc': Kalani and Asuelu Reveal Their Rare, Unconventional Shared Spiritual Belief in New Sneak Peek - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 10th, 2020
- Adult faith formation thriving although different due to COVID - Baptist News Global - August 10th, 2020
- As coronavirus curtails travel, backyard pilgrimages become the way to a spiritual journey - The Wilton Bulletin - August 10th, 2020
- New Book Offers Much Needed Spiritual Nourishment to Caregivers - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- National webinar on "How to manage stress through science and spirituality" organized - Nagpur News - August 10th, 2020
- Ayala: San Antonios little-known spiritual forest will be preserved in perpetuity - San Antonio Express-News - August 10th, 2020
- Health First's Pastoral Care Teams Turn to Technology to Deliver Spiritual Care and Compassion - SpaceCoastDaily.com - August 10th, 2020
- Katy Perry said she and Orlando Bloom bound by 'spiritual evolution' - Insider - INSIDER - August 10th, 2020
- Global Spiritual Forum The Island - The Island.lk - August 10th, 2020
- From the Archive: Going to a spiritual place in Barry - Barry and District News - August 10th, 2020
- Suikoden Creators On Making A Spiritual Follow-Up To The Classic JRPG - GameSpot - August 10th, 2020
- Why Irans highest spiritual chief Khamenei began a Twitter account in Hindi, know the motive - Pledge Times - August 10th, 2020
- City Lights: Sit with Yuri Schwebler's Spiritual Art or Probe Your Psyche with Project Implicit - Washington City Paper - August 10th, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: A trip to the movies - Wicked Local Sharon - August 9th, 2020
- World Music Innovators Turning Jewels Into Water Fuse The Spiritual With Digital On Their New Album - Recording Academy | Grammys - August 9th, 2020
- Ram Temple a great place to take plunge into the pool of spirituality, will promote spiritual tourism, says Tourism Minister Prahlad Singh Patel - New... - August 9th, 2020
- Small Changes Can Lead to Big Results | Spiritual and Physical Wellness - ChicagoNow - August 9th, 2020
- Life and Death Meet in Spiritual Arrog Adventure - GameIndustry.com - August 9th, 2020