Reading Time: 5 minutesThe four new priests with Archbishop Anthony Fisher OP in the sacristy after the ordinations Mass, with the masks they wore during the service to meet COVID-safety precautions. PHOTO: Giovanni Portelli
It might have only been at a quarter capacity in terms of attendees, but St Marys Cathedral was overflowing with prayers and praise as the Archdiocese of Sydney welcomed four new priests on Saturday.
The cathedral bells peeled joyfully before the 11am Mass, amplifying the delight of those inside and the many more who were joining via live-stream.
The ordination to the priesthood of Fathers John Pham, Noel Custodio, Roberto Keryakos and Jonathan Vala was one for the history books. Originally scheduled to occur on 1 August, the ordination was postponed until 19 September in the expectation that COVID-19 restrictions would have eased to allow more of the ordinands family and friends to be present inside the cathedral for the ceremony.
However as the day drew near, it looked like the severe restrictions would remain in place, with multiple requests for an exemption to allow more than 100 people in the spacious cathedral rejected by health department officials.
An 11-hour change of heart and the granting of a three-hour exemption that would allow 300 attendees saw the ordinands making hurried, but excited, phone calls to family and friends with the good news that they could now attend the once-in-a-lifetime event in person.
These families and friends lined up outside the cathedral and waited patiently to register their names and contact details at the doors, and not even the compulsory masks they wore could conceal their wide grins and teary eyes.
Whatever the restrictions on numbers and activities, the four new priests were not going to delay their ordination any longer. Father John Pham said that he did not consider delaying again, because he believes that the timing was in Gods providence.
Why didnt it happen last year or at another time but during this time? Father Pham pondered. This abandonment to Gods providence was especially poignant for the young priest whose parents were unable to travel from Vietnam to be present due to pandemic restrictions.
you must help rebuild peoples confidence and trust, reawaken their hunger for that Eucharist and community they can only find at Mass Archbishop Anthony Fisher OP
They were, however, tuning in via the live-stream, as were many of Father Valas classmates and formators from the Pontifical North American College in Rome, and Father Roberto Keryakos maternal grandmother, who is in lockdown in a nursing home. Shell be with me virtually as much as she is spiritually, Father Keryakos said.
Archbishop Anthony Fisher OP had originally offered to celebrate four separate ordination ceremonies, so that each new priest could choose 100 guests to be in attendance.
However, the four were determined to stick together. They had begun the first year at the seminary together, and so naturally wanted to be ordained together as well.
It was just fitting that you get ordained next to your brothers, commented Father Noel Custodio, a sentiment that was echoed by each of them.
Although slightly modified to take into account social distancing requirements, the ordination ceremony lost nothing of its beauty.
The unusual nature of present circumstances was, however, a focal point for Archbishop Fishers homily, with the Archbishop encouraging the new priests to be a spiritual pandemic for the whole country.
Beyond COVID you must help rebuild peoples confidence and trust, reawaken their hunger for that Eucharist and community they can only find at Mass, and re-sacralise a culture increasingly profane, anxious or indignant, Archbishop Fisher exhorted the new priests.
Where health authorities act as if preserving life were all that matters and politicians talk as if the economy is the only other thing, you must stand for a richer conception of the good life: one that gives due importance also to family and friendship, truth and beauty, work and leisure, integrity and justice, above all to the sacred.
Offering words of gratitude on behalf of the newly ordained, Father Custodio thanked family and friends, acknowledging especially those who could not be there in person.
He thanked Archbishop Fisher for ordaining them, and for his fatherly care and example of preaching truth and love.
He also thanked Cardinal George Pell, who was described as a constant support and pillar of faith, seminary rectors and staff, teachers and professors for providing them with the environment to deepen their love for God and configure themselves more closely to Christ.
At the conclusion of the Mass, Archbishop Fisher reminded the congregants of the hope that surrounds the ordination of priests and alluded to the heavy restrictions that remain on religious practice during these times.
In a time of such anxiety and uncertainty about our future health and happiness, including our freedom to worship, its especially encouraging to have four new priests ready to spread a pandemic of faith and reason, beauty and goodness, hope and courage, love and mercy, he said.
The day after the ordination, the four new priests celebrated their Masses of Thanksgiving with family and friends in attendance.
The new priests will, for now, remain at the parishes where they have been serving as deacons.
Father Pham will have his first placement as a priest at the parish of St Marks, Drummoyne. Father Custodio will remain at Sydney Harbour North parishes, and Father Keryakos at All Saints, Liverpool.
Father Vala will return shortly to Rome to continue his studies and will have to spend two weeks in self-isolation upon arrival.
This is something Father Vala has already been through, as he experienced two weeks of hotel quarantine on arrival into Sydney for his ordination. He described the four-week isolation as absolutely worth it.
Whats four weeks of waiting patiently after seven years of seminary? he said.
See the rest here:
- Spirituality - From one end to other - Goa Chronicle - Goa Chronicle - February 4th, 2021
- 8 Women in Spirituality to Know in 2021 - PRNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Simplicity of spirituality - The New Indian Express - February 4th, 2021
- THE CREATIVE SOUL Podcast Explores The Intersection Of Creativity & Spirituality - Broadway World - February 4th, 2021
- Upcoming exhibit to show connection between lowriders and spirituality - KRQE News 13 - February 4th, 2021
- SOLOS goes on a spiritual journey with Bill Forchion - Brattleboro Reformer - February 4th, 2021
- Bring Me the Horizon's Oli Sykes Had 'Spiritual Rehab' With Monks at an Ashram - Loudwire - February 4th, 2021
- Skiing and the spiritual life - Arlington Catholic Herald - February 4th, 2021
- Spirituality for Millennials: Choosing quality over quantity is always a good idea - Free Press Journal - February 4th, 2021
- Horoscope, Thursday, February 4, 2021: Spiritual Day for Gemini, Love is in the Air for Virgo - India.com - February 4th, 2021
- Sophie Xeon passes away in terrible accident while being true to her spirituality - Republic World - February 4th, 2021
- Sundance's 'Son of Monarchs' Is the Spiritual and Scientific Anthem We Didn't Know We Needed - Daily Utah Chronicle - February 4th, 2021
- One of the last living spiritual sons of Padre Pio reveals what he learned - Aleteia EN - February 4th, 2021
- Vow of poverty: Jesuits to look at its spiritual, practical implications - The Catholic Sun - February 4th, 2021
- A holistic professional shares a guide to transform life through reflections, practical tools and spiritual wisdom - GlobeNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Want to Know Your (Spiritual) Family's History? Then Read What They Wrote Southern Equip - The Southern News - February 4th, 2021
- Letter: Be spiritual all the year through - Grand Forks Herald - January 5th, 2021
- Spiritual direction: What is it, who needs it, and why? - The Catholic Telegraph - January 5th, 2021
- 'I see miracles every day': Hospital chaplain reflects on spiritual care during pandemic - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - January 5th, 2021
- Inspiration - The Abundant Empower Hour 01/04 by Universal Energy | Spirituality - BlogTalkRadio - January 5th, 2021
- Spiritual Editorial: Walk confidently In 2021 and always | Faith - NorthcentralPa.com - January 5th, 2021
- New Religious Fiction Novel 'The Chronicles of Assignments: Principalities' Presents Thrilling Adventure in Spiritual Warfare - GlobeNewswire - January 5th, 2021
- Spiritual Reflections: Remember to find joy the new year - SW News Media - January 5th, 2021
- 2020 YEAR IN REVIEW: Washington reflects on a year of 'Spiritually Speaking' - The Atlanta Voice - January 5th, 2021
- Spiritual politics in the world: Is it an utopian expectation? - WION - January 5th, 2021
- African-American Educator and Spiritual Leader Jay Vinson Offers Hope for American Youth - Publishes Powerful New Memoir and Devotional That Turns... - January 5th, 2021
- Ignatian spirituality in 'Wonder Woman 1984': The line between greed and the true more of 'magis' - America Magazine - January 5th, 2021
- Spirituality: This is time of year to make our dreams real - Norwich Bulletin - January 5th, 2021
- Surviving Death on Netflix, A Scientific and Spiritual Investigation into the Afterlife | Movie trailer - Prudent Press Agency - January 5th, 2021
- JI spiritual leader Bashir set to be released on Friday - The Straits Times - January 5th, 2021
- New Year's resolutions: A spiritually uplifting thing to do - Walla Walla Union-Bulletin - January 5th, 2021
- Spiritual Successors Are Keeping Iconic Game Series Alive, and They're Not Slowing Down - The Escapist - January 5th, 2021
- Landry: How to make spiritual New Year's resolutions - Grandin Media - January 5th, 2021
- Contagion Spiritual Sequel In The Works From Steven Soderbergh - Screen Rant - January 5th, 2021
- Generation Z and spiritual wellness The Famuan - Famuan - November 10th, 2020
- Pastor Paula White calls on angels from Africa and South America to bring Trump victory - USA TODAY - November 10th, 2020
- Spiritual Warriors on Behalf of Donald Trump - The Bulwark - November 10th, 2020
- COLUMN/PERSPECTIVE: The spiritual experience of hiking the Appalachian Trail - Brunswick News - November 10th, 2020
- NJAC Rededication: 1970 Revolution impacts spirituality and religion in T&T - Wired868 - November 10th, 2020
- US election 2020: Biden seeks spiritual comfort before maelstrom of 'loneliest job in the world' - Sky News - November 10th, 2020
- OPINION/SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: Were still in this together - Wicked Local Kingston - November 10th, 2020
- Inspiration - The Abundant Power Hour 11/09 by Universal Energy | Spirituality - BlogTalkRadio - November 10th, 2020
- Spiritual teacher Sri M comes out with new collection of short stories - Times of India - November 10th, 2020
- Morality, spirituality must be at centre of discussions aimed at lasting unity - Stabroek News - November 10th, 2020
- Yes, There Is a Spiritual Side to Having a Healthy Relationship With Food | RELEVANT - RELEVANT Magazine - November 10th, 2020
- Tokayev receives head of Spiritual Administration of Muslims of Kazakhstan - Kazinform - November 10th, 2020
- Worldly concerns bleed into the spiritual realm | State - Southernminn.com - November 10th, 2020
- Trip to top of wind turbine offers spectacular sights and spiritual sensation - Wicked Local Plymouth - November 10th, 2020
- The strange tale of a former massage therapist turned religious leader & his 5 spiritual wives - The Independent - November 10th, 2020
- Study links daily spiritual practices to improved well-being and mental health - Baptist News Global - October 28th, 2020
- Brother Voodoo offers Marvel a chance to explore Black spirituality and acceptance - SYFY WIRE - October 28th, 2020
- Everything eco-friendly for the spiritual vibe - The New Indian Express - October 28th, 2020
- The Alchemy of Heartbreak and Hope: A Spiritual Practice for Our Time - Resilience - October 28th, 2020
- Chaplains and the role of spiritual care in Healthcare - The Laconia Daily Sun - October 28th, 2020
- As Witchcraft Surges in America, Is the Church Prepared for the Spiritual Battle? - CBN News - October 28th, 2020
- Spiritual Editorial: God Is With Us Through It All - NorthcentralPa.com - October 28th, 2020
- How this Indigenous architect designs buildings with Indigenous history and spirituality in mind - CBC.ca - October 28th, 2020
- PEARRELL: Our spiritual revival is not tied to who wins an election - Rockdale Newton Citizen - October 28th, 2020
- Amazing high school choir sings spiritual Down to the River to Pray from hotel balconies - Classic FM - October 28th, 2020
- A window on to Ram Kumars visionary and spiritual world - Financial Times - October 28th, 2020
- Are we experiencing a pandemic spiritual mutation? An approach from Kabbalah - The Times of Israel - October 28th, 2020
- Holly Courtier planned to go on spiritual journey, fast inside Zion National Park, family says - ABC 4 - October 28th, 2020
- Spiritual coaches aim to ease COVID-19, other health disparities in West Baltimore - Yahoo News - October 28th, 2020
- Indulgence for cemetery visits extended to spiritual visits and whole month of November - Aleteia EN - October 28th, 2020
- Russia is fighting coronavirus with prayers: a companion of Putins spiritual father has published a special book - Pledge Times - October 28th, 2020
- 4 Women of Color Share How Spirituality Has Helped Them Heal, Rest, and Resist - Well+Good - October 19th, 2020
- Tent revival focused on spiritual breakthrough | Religion - The Mountaineer - October 19th, 2020
- Spirituality in the second half of life - Catholic Herald - October 19th, 2020
- Hot on the healers: The best spiritual practitioners in London - Tatler - October 19th, 2020
- Spirituality: Know that you represent God when you show up - Norwich Bulletin - October 19th, 2020
- UK churches urged to wake up to spiritual abuse of LGBT people - The Guardian - October 19th, 2020
- Kangana Ranaut is all praise for grounded and spiritual Will Smith, wants Bollywood to show same keenn - Times of India - October 19th, 2020
- Coronavirus has exposed a moral and spiritual vacuum. Who will fill it? - TheArticle - October 19th, 2020
- Opinion: Love, Light, and Spiritual Bypassing | Opinion, Paganism, Perspectives, Politics, Witchcraft - The Wild Hunt - October 19th, 2020
- The Office of Religious & Spiritual Life to host eighth annual Crossroads Lecture - TCU 360 - October 19th, 2020
- The Spiritual Power of Pharoah Sanders - The Vinyl Factory - October 19th, 2020
- Mission Committee strives to improve faith and spirituality among Belles - Observer Online - October 19th, 2020
- Crossing over from spiritual world of ancestors to visual art - SowetanLIVE - October 19th, 2020
- Fight the second wave with apps for financial, spiritual and physical success - USA TODAY - October 19th, 2020
- Galway clergy pledge to run each day during Level 3 for spiritual and financial reasons - The Irish Times - October 19th, 2020