When we first become a Christian, we are known as baby Christians because we are a new creation, a new believer in Christ. Then we grow in our faith, and we start to mature a little more day by day, month by month, year by year. The marks of maturity start to show up in our Christian walk. Things we used to worry about, we dont anymore.
We have placed them in his hands. God has shown us that He is faithful, time and time again. This doesnt mean that we wont have struggles or trials, but now we know how to deal with problems better. Why? We are conforming more and more into the image of Christ.
But there is someone who doesnt like the progress of our spiritual growth and maturity. We have an enemy who frowns on us and our spiritual journey to know God. His purpose is to hinder, stop, cause us to go down the wrong road so that we cant get to higher ground in Christ. He is a determined enemy, and the Bible speaks about him very often. The purpose of Satans existence is destruction. He comes to steal, kill, and destroy (John 10:10). He operates as an angel of light (II Corinthians 11:14). He goes about the earth as a roaring lion, seeking whom he can devour (I Peter 5:8).
There is a spiritual battle raging right now. It is constant. And you and I and every Christian have been enlisted to oppose the enemy. The good news is that you arent alone; others face the same foe. One of Satans tactics is to make you think that you are in a battle all by yourself. His plan is to feed lies to your mind, isolate you, and speak half-truths to you. We must be united as a team. We need to be sure that we fight our enemy and not each other.
Have you ever noticed that the Christian life is one of constant conflict? Why is it constant conflict? The enemy hates us. He loves to cause division. It is not you against me. It is not Republican against Democrat. It is not employer against employee. It is not my family against your family. Our war is not against other humans. Ephesians 6:12 says, For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in heavenly places.
This can be very discouraging. We hoped to move on to Heaven with ease, but we are locked in a battle with the devil. But I have good news. Each battle we face can be won! Jesus paid it all.
The book of Ephesians (see Ephesians 6:10-18) gives us several pictures of the church. The church is presented as a body, a temple, a mystery, a new man, a bride and a soldier. We as believers must get dressed for spiritual battle with our enemy, the devil. We must get ready to fight. Paul tells the church that we can bank on Gods unlimited resources of power. Gods power not only raised Jesus Christ from the dead, but also exalted Him to the position of absolute authority, far above any other powers. This is the power that we have on our side.
Paul tells the church to put on all of the pieces of armor that God provides for us so that we can resist the enemy and stand firm in our faith.
What does the armor of God consist of, and how do we use it? The first piece of armor is the belt of truth. How are we to be truthful? We are to be truthful about ourselves in dealing with sin, truthful with others, and most importantly, truthful with God. The belt holds most of the other pieces of armor in place. We must put truth on every day, the truth of Scripture and the knowledge of Gods Word.
The second piece of armor is the breastplate of righteousness. We are not saved by our own righteousness, by what we do. In fact, the Bible says that no one is righteous, except for Jesus.
Once we are born again, Gods purpose is to produce righteousness in us. We need to have his righteousness, and others need to see His righteousness in me! It represents a holy character, a moral conduct. We do this by being obedient to the truth that we just put on. The breastplate protects the heart. The Christian soldier is vulnerable to discouragement when he/she compromises living by Gods standards. When we wear the breastplate, we do what the father wants us to do.
The third piece of armor is our feet fitted with the gospel of peace shoes of the Gospel. This reminds us to share the good news of Jesus wherever our feet take us. It brings an eagerness, and a willingness to go, bringing peace to others. We are able to share the victory and freedom we have in Christ with others. Be ready, be eager, be willing to go. And as long as we stand still in this battle, we are an easy target. Thats why we have to keep moving forward, sharing the peace of Jesus along the way.
The fourth piece of armor is the shield of faith. This is our first line of defense, the shield of faith. When the devil sends fiery darts our way, we can put up the shield of faith and stop them from bringing us harm. When we have faith, we can stand firm against the attacks from the enemy.
The fifth piece of armor is the helmet of salvation. The helmet protects our head, our thoughts. It enables us to have certainty and assurance of our salvation. When we grow weak or doubt, we can remember that we are his and he is ours. And finally, the last piece of the armor is the sword of the Spirit. This is the word of God, the Bible. This is our primary weapon for offense. We can use the Scriptures to fight the attacks of the devil. This is the weapon that Jesus used when Satan tempted Him in the wilderness. The word of God has power over the enemy. Along with the Word of God, we have the secret weapon of prayer. This is where we communicate with God, and He communicates with us.
We are not weaponless or alone. God is with us, and He has given us the gift of our fellow believers to fight the fight of faith and battle the enemy as an army, together. We know that Satan is already defeated by the work of Jesus on the cross, and one day he will be thrown into the lake of fire as his punishment. We are on the winning side.
(From the Pulpit is a weekly sermon provided by the clergy members of the Weirton Ministerial Association.)
Today's breaking news and more in your inbox
- 4 Women of Color Share How Spirituality Has Helped Them Heal, Rest, and Resist - Well+Good - October 19th, 2020
- Tent revival focused on spiritual breakthrough | Religion - The Mountaineer - October 19th, 2020
- Spirituality in the second half of life - Catholic Herald - October 19th, 2020
- Hot on the healers: The best spiritual practitioners in London - Tatler - October 19th, 2020
- Spirituality: Know that you represent God when you show up - Norwich Bulletin - October 19th, 2020
- UK churches urged to wake up to spiritual abuse of LGBT people - The Guardian - October 19th, 2020
- Kangana Ranaut is all praise for grounded and spiritual Will Smith, wants Bollywood to show same keenn - Times of India - October 19th, 2020
- Coronavirus has exposed a moral and spiritual vacuum. Who will fill it? - TheArticle - October 19th, 2020
- Opinion: Love, Light, and Spiritual Bypassing | Opinion, Paganism, Perspectives, Politics, Witchcraft - The Wild Hunt - October 19th, 2020
- The Office of Religious & Spiritual Life to host eighth annual Crossroads Lecture - TCU 360 - October 19th, 2020
- The Spiritual Power of Pharoah Sanders - The Vinyl Factory - October 19th, 2020
- Mission Committee strives to improve faith and spirituality among Belles - Observer Online - October 19th, 2020
- Crossing over from spiritual world of ancestors to visual art - SowetanLIVE - October 19th, 2020
- Fight the second wave with apps for financial, spiritual and physical success - USA TODAY - October 19th, 2020
- Galway clergy pledge to run each day during Level 3 for spiritual and financial reasons - The Irish Times - October 19th, 2020
- Spiritual aspects of the climate and extinction crises - Uniontown Herald Standard - October 19th, 2020
- The Covid-19 pandemic tests everyone's spiritual wellbeing, atheists and believers alike - NBC News - September 21st, 2020
- Author Shares Journey of Spiritual Discovery and Healing in New Book - GlobeNewswire - September 21st, 2020
- Assemblies of God (USA) Official Web Site | Reaping a Spiritual Harvest - AG News - September 21st, 2020
- Autumn equinox spiritual meaning: What is the meaning behind the autumnal equinox? - Express - September 21st, 2020
- One Thing I Ask of YHWH: Humility and the Spiritual Search - jewishboston.com - September 21st, 2020
- Special Online Event: Being In The Now - A Spiritual Perspective - Patch.com - September 21st, 2020
- New priests will spark a 'spiritual pandemic' - The Catholic Weekly - September 21st, 2020
- Owusu Bempah gives detailed account of how things work in the spiritual realm - GhanaWeb - September 21st, 2020
- This Life: Spiritual poverty is the real problem - Sight Magazine - September 21st, 2020
- FEC Chair Says There's No Separation of Church and State, Calls 2020 Election a 'Spiritual War' - Newsweek - September 21st, 2020
- Beatification cause opened for spiritual son of Padre Pio - Catholic News Agency - September 21st, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: Find your serenity in these crazy days - Wicked Local Georgetown - September 21st, 2020
- Faith matters: Awaken the spiritual artist within | Lifestyle - thereporteronline.com - September 21st, 2020
- Leaders in Peace Building, Science, Mindfulness and Spirituality to Transmit the Experience of Peace to 40 Million People Across the Globe on... - September 21st, 2020
- Sultan Hanfareh Ali Mirah, the spiritual chief of the Afars, passed away - ethiopiaobserver.com - September 21st, 2020
- 350km from Lucknow, 'Bhagwati Van' to be the spiritual tourism hub in UP - Knocksense - September 21st, 2020
- Free the Mass! A Call to Spiritual Arms for the Right to Worship - National Catholic Register - September 21st, 2020
- A Maltese artists quest for the spiritual - Times of Malta - September 21st, 2020
- Faith Matters: We are coming into an era of spiritual awakening - New Haven Register - September 4th, 2020
- SPIRIT MATTERS: In matters of the spirit, spirituality matters - LaSalle News Tribune - September 4th, 2020
- Science And Spirituality Sing Together - Wisconsin Public Radio News - September 4th, 2020
- Guiding Light: Spirituality and morality - Free Press Journal - September 4th, 2020
- Spiritual Resiliency Trips in the Holy Land - kacc.nrmc.amedd.army.mil - September 4th, 2020
- Uzbek TV Urges Battle Against 'Spiritual Viruses' (Homosexuality And Feminism) Threatening The Nation - Radio Free Europe/ Radio Liberty - September 4th, 2020
- Harvest Moon spiritual meaning: What does the September Full Moon mean for you? - Express - September 4th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Lets hear it for our teachers - Wicked Local Norwood - September 4th, 2020
- Cardinal Parolin says there's a spiritual harmony between Francis and Benedict XVI - La Croix International - September 4th, 2020
- 'God Has Not Left Them': Operation Blessing and Others Offer Aid and Spiritual Hope for Laura Survivors - CBN News - September 4th, 2020
- Material and spiritual acts - Daily Pioneer - September 4th, 2020
- Serving those who serve others: behavioral health and spiritualitys role to encourage resiliency - United States Army - September 4th, 2020
- Reawakening Of Pagan India And The Challenge It Can Pose To Abrahamic Worldviews: Part I - Swarajya - September 4th, 2020
- Review: Essay collection Vesper Flights reveres beauty, birds and spirituality - San Francisco Chronicle - August 31st, 2020
- God Is Dead. So Is the Office. These People Want to Save Both - The New York Times - August 31st, 2020
- Safety and spirituality: Youth groups plan to meet in-person during pandemic - Roanoke Times - August 31st, 2020
- Spiritual Coffee and the Path toward Wokeness - Patheos - August 31st, 2020
- Republican National Convention kicks off with a near spiritual devotion to Trump - CNBC - August 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus Lockdowns Are Creating a Mental Health and Spiritual Crisis - The National Interest - August 31st, 2020
- They also serve who only stand and wait: Ethical and spiritual response to the covid-19 pandemic - The BMJ - The BMJ - August 31st, 2020
- Spiritual advisor says Keith Nelson is resigned to fact he will be executed Friday - WTHITV.com - August 31st, 2020
- Bushido Blade Spiritual Successor Die By The Blade Heads To Kickstarter For PS4, PS5 - PlayStation Universe - August 31st, 2020
- Korra's Spiritual Connection Goes Beyond Her Role as the Avatar - CBR - Comic Book Resources - August 31st, 2020
- Spiritual Side: Learn about services and events of local houses of worship - The West Volusia Beacon - August 31st, 2020
- Pope Francis spiritually united with pilgrims honouring Our Lady of Czestochowa - Vatican News - August 31st, 2020
- Remembering Richard The Rev Ricci: Pitt alum and spiritual force behind Night of the Living Dead - University of Pittsburgh The Pitt News - August 31st, 2020
- Without Reservation: Awakening to Native American Spirituality 08/25 by BITEradio me | Spirituality - BlogTalkRadio - August 31st, 2020
- OPINION/SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: Neither snow nor rain nor politics - Wicked Local Fall River - August 31st, 2020
- A Spiritual Walk: What is your perfect vision for healing the world? - New Baltimore Voice Newspapers - August 10th, 2020
- ISSUES OF FAITH: The spirituality of the ordinary - Peninsula Daily News - August 10th, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: It is our religious calling - News - Wicked Local Plymouth - August 10th, 2020
- The Orthodox Female Spiritual Leader Working with Converts - Jewish Journal - August 10th, 2020
- As coronavirus curtails travel, backyard pilgrimages become the way to a spiritual journey - The Conversation US - August 10th, 2020
- For Ottessa Moshfegh, Novel Writing Is a Spiritual Experience - The Nation - August 10th, 2020
- The role of kindness in the spiritual life - Aleteia IT - August 10th, 2020
- Why Mennonites, Lutherans and other say farming has a spiritual side - Deseret News - August 10th, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: A trip to the movies - Milford Daily News - August 10th, 2020
- The pandemic can be more than purgatory. It can be a time of deep spiritual formation. - The Dallas Morning News - August 10th, 2020
- Police violence meets spiritual resistance in the struggle over DAPL - NationofChange - August 10th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Don't Throw Your Own Pity Party and Attend - Dallasweekly - August 10th, 2020
- Spiritual Reflections: It has been a season of humility - SW News Media - August 10th, 2020
- Live: Raising Emotionally and Spiritually Healthy Bochurim - Anash.org - Good News - August 10th, 2020
- KATHIE DEASY Ironclad sparks ideas of being armed in spiritual iron - Port Arthur News - The Port Arthur News - August 10th, 2020
- '90 Day Fianc': Kalani and Asuelu Reveal Their Rare, Unconventional Shared Spiritual Belief in New Sneak Peek - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 10th, 2020
- Adult faith formation thriving although different due to COVID - Baptist News Global - August 10th, 2020
- As coronavirus curtails travel, backyard pilgrimages become the way to a spiritual journey - The Wilton Bulletin - August 10th, 2020