Voices of the pandemic features people in the Seattle area who are on the front lines of the coronavirus outbreak.
Elyse Fairweather is a spiritual care provider at University of Washington Medical Center. Part of her job is to provide end of life support. Before the outbreak, her role often involved being a calming presence in the room. Thats all changed.
If I'm talking with a patient who's in the Covid ICU, there's a lot that goes into it. I need to make sure that the nurse is going to be physically in the room to set up the phone, trying to bundle the visit with something that the nurse is already doing in the room.
And then the conversation itself, although the patient is not able to participate verbally, I think it's important that I'm still being that reassuring presence for them.
Oftentimes, I'll call and introduce who I am. If I've spoken with family, and they have a message that they'd like me to share, I'll usually start with that.
Ill say, I've been talking with your wife or your children, and they want you to know how much they love you and how much even though they can't physically be here, they're with you in spirit. And then if the request is for prayer, then I'll just let that patient know. They asked me to pray for you as well, so I'm going to pray for and then tell them peace or comfort.
I close out the conversation, or the phone call visit, letting them know that that they are just so loved, and that everyone who is coming into their room is there to help them heal and to help them feel less alone, and that I'll continue to support their family, so they don't have to worry about that, and I'll be checking in with them again.
For a lot of the families that can't be here, there are some themes that kind of emerge in the conversations that I'm having.
One of the themes would be, if my loved one were here, this is what we'd be doing. If my loved one were here, this would be the rhythm of our day, and kind of finding the joy in the history that they've had together and also lamenting the fact their loved one is not here.
The other more obvious one would just be that there's so much to lament, there's so much grief when you're thinking about a loved one who's in the ICU or who is nearing the end of their life, potentially. And then sort of to add insult to injury, so to speak, not being able to be physically present. And so I think kind of living in tension of understanding that this is where we are and also where we are is really, really painful.
It is a huge burden of grief. Being in this supportive role, holding space for others to grieve, it certainly gets heavy sometimes, that burden. I've noticed that whats helpful for me is that drive home, I live in a really lovely neighborhood, and it's really beautiful with all the signs of spring that are still present. So having that kind of mindful driving, and just noticing that constant, that nature is still here and still beautiful.
Then I also have a distinct practice that I started a while ago, which is kind of this physical shedding of the weight that I've been carrying around in the hospital throughout the day, so taking off my shoes outside of our home, so I'm not physically tracking anything into our home from the hospital, changing out of my work clothes into my home clothes.
And I think mentally it's really important to make that shift from being in this place where I'm carrying the grief of so many people to 'Now I can set that down. Now I can give my mind, and my spirit, and my body a chance to rest and regenerate.
Producer Alec Cowan composed music for this story.
Here is the original post:
- Former Addict Recounts Journey to Find Strength, Spirituality and Self-Love in New Memoir - GlobeNewswire - July 14th, 2020
- Seek the nectar of spirituality - The Sunday Guardian - July 14th, 2020
- Spiritual healers torture results in childs death - The Nation - July 14th, 2020
- Spiritual Leaders Share What Spiritual Wellness During the Pandemic Looks Like for Them - Well+Good - July 14th, 2020
- Weaving together art, spirituality - Winnipeg Free Press - July 14th, 2020
- Humility needed on the spiritual path - Deccan Herald - July 14th, 2020
- Dry Prong is spiritually abundant - The Baptist Message - July 14th, 2020
- What Is Shadow Work And Why Is It Crucial To Spiritual Practice? - Patheos - July 14th, 2020
- Streaming platforms offer fitness, spiritual content - Livemint - July 14th, 2020
- Defrocked Coronavirus-Denying Priest Tells Putin to Step Down - The Moscow Times - July 14th, 2020
- Rev. Martin Smith to lead All Saints services July 19, 26 and Aug. 2 - Boothbay Register - July 14th, 2020
- Candace Cameron Bure Is Ready to Share Her Faith As the New Chief Spiritual Officer of Woman's Day - WomansDay.com - July 14th, 2020
- Podcast Corner: Guru tells of sweat-lodge tragedy and James Arthur Ray - Irish Examiner - July 14th, 2020
- Naagin actress Mouni Roy has taken to spirituality in the lockdown; heres what she says - Times of India - July 14th, 2020
- Lutheran leader shares spiritual insights on pandemic - The Lutheran World Federation - July 14th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Silver linings from a dark cloud of a year - Wicked Local Norwood - July 14th, 2020
- Guthrie Ramsey's creative journey of healing, collaboration, and persistence - Penn Current - July 14th, 2020
- A Public Art Project Near Londons Grenfell Tower Presents the Spiritual Work of Artist Khadija Saye, Who Died in the Tragic Fire - artnet News - July 14th, 2020
- How to Conquer the Spiritual Coronavirus: the Colossian Heresy (Part 2) | How to Conquer the Spiritual Coronavirus: the Colossian Heresy (Part 2) -... - July 13th, 2020
- St. Ignatius: When are pious thoughts not from God? - Catholic Culture - July 13th, 2020
- There is no one way to find God - Arizona Daily Star - July 13th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Silver linings from a dark cloud of a year - Wicked Local Framingham - July 13th, 2020
- It's time to talk about spiritual wellbeing - ArtsHub - July 13th, 2020
- Nallur Kovil: Spiritual beacon of the North - Ceylon Daily News - July 13th, 2020
- Out in Faith NL welcomes people of all faiths and sexual orientation - The Telegram - July 13th, 2020
- Mount Carmel Society Feast Procession and Family Barbecue Goes On With COVID-19 Adjustments - TAPinto.net - July 13th, 2020
- The Breathtaking Image of God | Messy Spirituality-Finding God in Unexpected Places - Patheos - July 13th, 2020
- Author's ideas on meeting God offer welcome antidote to isolation - CatholicPhilly.com - July 13th, 2020
- UNLV, NFL great Cunningham ready to heed the Raiders' spiritual needs - Las Vegas Sun - July 13th, 2020
- There Are No Spiritual Growth Hacks, We've Got to Train - Team Jesus Magazine - July 13th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Silver linings from a dark cloud of a year - Wicked Local Sharon - July 12th, 2020
- American Spirit: Alcohol abuse in US highest among Native Americans but there is hope with spiritual treatment - MEAWW - July 12th, 2020
- Above the Sun: Boring days are filled with opportunity - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - July 12th, 2020
- Jesus and change - National Catholic Reporter - July 12th, 2020
- Mary Lisa Reaches Out To Help In This Time Of Spiritual Need. - Patch.com - July 12th, 2020
- Beat Stress | Spiritual and Physical Wellness - ChicagoNow - July 12th, 2020
- Psychic Awareness & The Art and Science of Spiritual Alchemy - BlogTalkRadio - July 12th, 2020
- 'One drop of spirituality' to every human being: Sadhguru shares vision for the planet - Free Press Journal - July 12th, 2020
- It's time to talk about spiritual wellbeing | ArtsHub United Kingdom - ArtsHub UK - July 11th, 2020
- Divya Pandit masters the art of spiritual healing - Mid-day - July 11th, 2020
- Amy Satori selected as Top Intuitive Spiritual Teacher of the Year by the International Association of Top Professionals (IAOTP) - Life Pulse Health - July 11th, 2020
- Full Buck Moon spiritual meaning: What does a Full Buck Moon signify? Read here - Republic World - Republic World - July 11th, 2020
- Patience: The best remedy for every problem - Free Press Journal - July 11th, 2020
- An open heart receives the seed of God's Word, which bears fruit - CatholicPhilly.com - July 11th, 2020
- Seeing the way when there's no path ahead - CatholicPhilly.com - July 11th, 2020
- Steak House Ribera: Wrestling's spiritual home in Japan - The Japan Times - July 11th, 2020
- Summer solstice spiritual meaning: What does the summer solstice mean in astrology? - Express.co.uk - June 20th, 2020
- Testing faith: Spirituality in the face of tragedy and COVID-19 in Nova Scotia - TheChronicleHerald.ca - June 20th, 2020
- Finding spiritual light in a lonely place - The Daily Universe - Universe.byu.edu - June 20th, 2020
- Stories and Spirituality Are Driving Passions for Confrontation Theatre's Artistic Director - Willamette Week - June 20th, 2020
- What is the spiritual meaning of the heart? - Aleteia IT - June 20th, 2020
- A Chance to Recharge Mentally, Spiritually and Emotionally - The New York Times - June 20th, 2020
- Young Adventist Wins Second Place in 'Voice of Bulgaria' With Spiritual Song - Adventist Review - June 20th, 2020
- International Yoga Day: The relevance of yoga and the benefits of incorporating it for spiritual growth - Times Now - June 20th, 2020
- Is Being Religious and LGBTQ+ Mutually Exclusive? - Advocate.com - June 20th, 2020
- Catholic composer David Haas accused of 'sexual battery' and 'spiritual manipulation' - Catholic News Agency - June 20th, 2020
- Kunal Kapoor: I think technology changes the world outside and spirituality changes the world inside - Times of India - June 20th, 2020
- Happy Monday 06/15 by The Power of Love Radio | Spirituality - BlogTalkRadio - June 20th, 2020
- Transported across the centuries at the feast day festival at the Baptistery of St John in Florence, Italy - Catholic Leader - June 20th, 2020
- International Day of Yoga 2020: A Brief History of This Spiritual Discipline And The Art of Living Healthy - India.com - June 20th, 2020
- Fit for Life: Physical, Spiritual and Emotional Health - GoLocal Worcester - June 20th, 2020
- Spirits over spirituality? |India Today Insight - India Today - June 1st, 2020
- Spirituality - June 1st, 2020
- Vatican official: Racism is 'spiritual' virus that must be wiped out - Catholic News Service - June 1st, 2020
- Are you a good spiritual mother to your children and your loved ones? - Aleteia EN - June 1st, 2020
- Joan of Arcs spiritual life propelled her to martyrdom - Aleteia IT - June 1st, 2020
- Why, More Than Ever, We Need Nurses as Spiritual Comforters - CBN News - June 1st, 2020
- SOMETHING TO CONSIDER: We cultivate our spiritual life - Herald-Banner - June 1st, 2020
- LETTERS: Connecting spiritual communities important, but only in safe ways - Sentinel Colorado - June 1st, 2020
- ELDER: Dealing with the reality of an unseen spiritual realm - Rockdale Newton Citizen - June 1st, 2020
- Informative New Book Answers Important Questions Around Politics and Climate Change as Related to the Spiritual World - GlobeNewswire - June 1st, 2020
- Religious, spiritual services allowed to continue in person as Washington state counties reopen - KUOW News and Information - June 1st, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: June 2020 - Publishers Weekly - June 1st, 2020
- Tending to Your Spiritual Well-Being - KSRO - June 1st, 2020
- This is what were for: LAPD officers call in spiritual backup during pandemic - Angelus News - June 1st, 2020
- National Philoptochos Responds With A Multi-Pronged Approach to Provide Financial, Emotional, Spiritual and Loving Support to Individuals and Families... - June 1st, 2020
- While some try to politicize wearing face masks, for me it's a spiritual practice - Baptist News Global - June 1st, 2020
- Our view: BSA spiritual care team among local heroes on front lines of virus battle - Amarillo.com - June 1st, 2020
- On the spirituality of quarantine - The Christian Century - May 15th, 2020
- Motherhood and spirituality - The Catholic Sun - May 15th, 2020