Nurses at St. Charles Hospital, Port Jefferson, received a spiritual boost Monday, May 11, as they continue their heroic work on the front lines during the COVID-19 pandemic. In observance of National Nurses Week, Ursuline Sister Edith Menegus, pastoral care director, and hospital chaplain Mary Larson, of the United Church of Christ, visited the various departments and units to bless the hands of nurses and other medical professionals. While holy water could not be used during the ritual this year because of the current health crisis, the employees were no less appreciative of the spiritual care they received. By the end of the day, the chaplains blessed more than 200 pairs of hands. National Nurses Week, May 6-12, celebrates the nursing profession and affirms the vital role nurses play in health care.
The prayer used in the blessing of hands was Gracious God, bless these hands which offer care and comfort to the sick and the scared. Thank you for your service and compassion during this crisis and always. Amen.
Photos by Gregory A. Shemitz
A statue of St. Charles Borromeo is seen outside the 243-bed hospital.
Sister Edith Menegus prays for nursing assistant Sanja Cook.
Nursing assistant Sanja Cook extends her hands for the blessing.
Nurse Lauren Quenzer has her hands blessed by Sister Edith.
Nurse Fatima Mouslem receives a blessing from Sister Edith.
Nurse Ashleigh Liere puts protective gloves on her hands before entering a patient's room in the COVID-19 unit.
Chaplain Mary Larson prays for pediatric unit secretary Maria Chazulle-Itsines.
Nurse Susan Dargis has her hands blessed by Chaplain Larson.
Nurse Jacqueline Muniz extends her hands for a blessing from Chaplain Larson.
Dr. James Cavanaugh, pediatric hospitalist, has his hands blessed by Sister Edith.
Sister Edith poses near a nurses' station in the COVID-19 unit.
Signs of gratitude posted near a hospital entrance.
See the original post here:
- Former Addict Recounts Journey to Find Strength, Spirituality and Self-Love in New Memoir - GlobeNewswire - July 14th, 2020
- Seek the nectar of spirituality - The Sunday Guardian - July 14th, 2020
- Spiritual healers torture results in childs death - The Nation - July 14th, 2020
- Spiritual Leaders Share What Spiritual Wellness During the Pandemic Looks Like for Them - Well+Good - July 14th, 2020
- Weaving together art, spirituality - Winnipeg Free Press - July 14th, 2020
- Humility needed on the spiritual path - Deccan Herald - July 14th, 2020
- Dry Prong is spiritually abundant - The Baptist Message - July 14th, 2020
- What Is Shadow Work And Why Is It Crucial To Spiritual Practice? - Patheos - July 14th, 2020
- Streaming platforms offer fitness, spiritual content - Livemint - July 14th, 2020
- Defrocked Coronavirus-Denying Priest Tells Putin to Step Down - The Moscow Times - July 14th, 2020
- Rev. Martin Smith to lead All Saints services July 19, 26 and Aug. 2 - Boothbay Register - July 14th, 2020
- Candace Cameron Bure Is Ready to Share Her Faith As the New Chief Spiritual Officer of Woman's Day - WomansDay.com - July 14th, 2020
- Podcast Corner: Guru tells of sweat-lodge tragedy and James Arthur Ray - Irish Examiner - July 14th, 2020
- Naagin actress Mouni Roy has taken to spirituality in the lockdown; heres what she says - Times of India - July 14th, 2020
- Lutheran leader shares spiritual insights on pandemic - The Lutheran World Federation - July 14th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Silver linings from a dark cloud of a year - Wicked Local Norwood - July 14th, 2020
- Guthrie Ramsey's creative journey of healing, collaboration, and persistence - Penn Current - July 14th, 2020
- A Public Art Project Near Londons Grenfell Tower Presents the Spiritual Work of Artist Khadija Saye, Who Died in the Tragic Fire - artnet News - July 14th, 2020
- How to Conquer the Spiritual Coronavirus: the Colossian Heresy (Part 2) | How to Conquer the Spiritual Coronavirus: the Colossian Heresy (Part 2) -... - July 13th, 2020
- St. Ignatius: When are pious thoughts not from God? - Catholic Culture - July 13th, 2020
- There is no one way to find God - Arizona Daily Star - July 13th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Silver linings from a dark cloud of a year - Wicked Local Framingham - July 13th, 2020
- It's time to talk about spiritual wellbeing - ArtsHub - July 13th, 2020
- Nallur Kovil: Spiritual beacon of the North - Ceylon Daily News - July 13th, 2020
- Out in Faith NL welcomes people of all faiths and sexual orientation - The Telegram - July 13th, 2020
- Mount Carmel Society Feast Procession and Family Barbecue Goes On With COVID-19 Adjustments - TAPinto.net - July 13th, 2020
- The Breathtaking Image of God | Messy Spirituality-Finding God in Unexpected Places - Patheos - July 13th, 2020
- Author's ideas on meeting God offer welcome antidote to isolation - CatholicPhilly.com - July 13th, 2020
- UNLV, NFL great Cunningham ready to heed the Raiders' spiritual needs - Las Vegas Sun - July 13th, 2020
- There Are No Spiritual Growth Hacks, We've Got to Train - Team Jesus Magazine - July 13th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Silver linings from a dark cloud of a year - Wicked Local Sharon - July 12th, 2020
- American Spirit: Alcohol abuse in US highest among Native Americans but there is hope with spiritual treatment - MEAWW - July 12th, 2020
- Above the Sun: Boring days are filled with opportunity - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - July 12th, 2020
- Jesus and change - National Catholic Reporter - July 12th, 2020
- Mary Lisa Reaches Out To Help In This Time Of Spiritual Need. - Patch.com - July 12th, 2020
- Beat Stress | Spiritual and Physical Wellness - ChicagoNow - July 12th, 2020
- Psychic Awareness & The Art and Science of Spiritual Alchemy - BlogTalkRadio - July 12th, 2020
- 'One drop of spirituality' to every human being: Sadhguru shares vision for the planet - Free Press Journal - July 12th, 2020
- It's time to talk about spiritual wellbeing | ArtsHub United Kingdom - ArtsHub UK - July 11th, 2020
- Divya Pandit masters the art of spiritual healing - Mid-day - July 11th, 2020
- Amy Satori selected as Top Intuitive Spiritual Teacher of the Year by the International Association of Top Professionals (IAOTP) - Life Pulse Health - July 11th, 2020
- Full Buck Moon spiritual meaning: What does a Full Buck Moon signify? Read here - Republic World - Republic World - July 11th, 2020
- Patience: The best remedy for every problem - Free Press Journal - July 11th, 2020
- An open heart receives the seed of God's Word, which bears fruit - CatholicPhilly.com - July 11th, 2020
- Seeing the way when there's no path ahead - CatholicPhilly.com - July 11th, 2020
- Steak House Ribera: Wrestling's spiritual home in Japan - The Japan Times - July 11th, 2020
- Summer solstice spiritual meaning: What does the summer solstice mean in astrology? - Express.co.uk - June 20th, 2020
- Testing faith: Spirituality in the face of tragedy and COVID-19 in Nova Scotia - TheChronicleHerald.ca - June 20th, 2020
- Finding spiritual light in a lonely place - The Daily Universe - Universe.byu.edu - June 20th, 2020
- Stories and Spirituality Are Driving Passions for Confrontation Theatre's Artistic Director - Willamette Week - June 20th, 2020
- What is the spiritual meaning of the heart? - Aleteia IT - June 20th, 2020
- A Chance to Recharge Mentally, Spiritually and Emotionally - The New York Times - June 20th, 2020
- Young Adventist Wins Second Place in 'Voice of Bulgaria' With Spiritual Song - Adventist Review - June 20th, 2020
- International Yoga Day: The relevance of yoga and the benefits of incorporating it for spiritual growth - Times Now - June 20th, 2020
- Is Being Religious and LGBTQ+ Mutually Exclusive? - Advocate.com - June 20th, 2020
- Catholic composer David Haas accused of 'sexual battery' and 'spiritual manipulation' - Catholic News Agency - June 20th, 2020
- Kunal Kapoor: I think technology changes the world outside and spirituality changes the world inside - Times of India - June 20th, 2020
- Happy Monday 06/15 by The Power of Love Radio | Spirituality - BlogTalkRadio - June 20th, 2020
- Transported across the centuries at the feast day festival at the Baptistery of St John in Florence, Italy - Catholic Leader - June 20th, 2020
- International Day of Yoga 2020: A Brief History of This Spiritual Discipline And The Art of Living Healthy - India.com - June 20th, 2020
- Fit for Life: Physical, Spiritual and Emotional Health - GoLocal Worcester - June 20th, 2020
- Spirits over spirituality? |India Today Insight - India Today - June 1st, 2020
- Spirituality - June 1st, 2020
- Vatican official: Racism is 'spiritual' virus that must be wiped out - Catholic News Service - June 1st, 2020
- Are you a good spiritual mother to your children and your loved ones? - Aleteia EN - June 1st, 2020
- Joan of Arcs spiritual life propelled her to martyrdom - Aleteia IT - June 1st, 2020
- Why, More Than Ever, We Need Nurses as Spiritual Comforters - CBN News - June 1st, 2020
- SOMETHING TO CONSIDER: We cultivate our spiritual life - Herald-Banner - June 1st, 2020
- LETTERS: Connecting spiritual communities important, but only in safe ways - Sentinel Colorado - June 1st, 2020
- ELDER: Dealing with the reality of an unseen spiritual realm - Rockdale Newton Citizen - June 1st, 2020
- Informative New Book Answers Important Questions Around Politics and Climate Change as Related to the Spiritual World - GlobeNewswire - June 1st, 2020
- Religious, spiritual services allowed to continue in person as Washington state counties reopen - KUOW News and Information - June 1st, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: June 2020 - Publishers Weekly - June 1st, 2020
- Tending to Your Spiritual Well-Being - KSRO - June 1st, 2020
- This is what were for: LAPD officers call in spiritual backup during pandemic - Angelus News - June 1st, 2020
- National Philoptochos Responds With A Multi-Pronged Approach to Provide Financial, Emotional, Spiritual and Loving Support to Individuals and Families... - June 1st, 2020
- While some try to politicize wearing face masks, for me it's a spiritual practice - Baptist News Global - June 1st, 2020
- Our view: BSA spiritual care team among local heroes on front lines of virus battle - Amarillo.com - June 1st, 2020
- On the spirituality of quarantine - The Christian Century - May 15th, 2020
- Motherhood and spirituality - The Catholic Sun - May 15th, 2020