Every new year, I vow to clean up a lot of things in my life. My diet. My house. Even the apps on my phone and the files on my computer.
I also make plans to clean up my spiritual life. Ill resolve to finally get into a prayer or contemplation routine. Or that Ill get to a church service every weekend (or thereabouts). And Ill start a gratitude practice.
Then life intervenes and things get messy. I fall behind and dont do what Ive set out to. I beat up on myself, and the negative self-talk begins. Finally, I just give up, saying to myself, Well, Ive never managed to keep it up so why start? Im just going to fail.
Its a bit of a self-defeating cycle. And, I wonder, if its what spirituality and engaging with the Divine is all about. Do I really have to become Kevin 2.0 in order to be spiritual? Is spirituality merely a never-ending self-improvement project?
So, lately, Im thinking about whether focusing on somehow making myself better is kind of an issue. Its also, Im coming to understand, not the point. Rather than cleaning up maybe I try to live out of that messiness instead. Its whats real, after all.
I was thinking about all of this when the Christmas issue of Nadia Bolz-Webers email newsletter showed up in my inbox. Shes a Lutheran minister and public theologian in the United States. Bolz-Weber writes a lot about grace, and this holiday missive was no exception.
Bolz-Weber writes theres a reason shes obsessed with grace. She says our world is fixated on making judgements and hoarding wealth and being best and OPTIMIZATION, and thats shes triedtrying harder, but that doesnt make her free. It just exhausts her.
I really resonated with this, particularly when she went on to write, Maybe you too vow each morning to try harder so you can finally feel like you are enoughToday I will start meditating and become a vegan and start training for a marathon and go back to college and go to the container store to so I can organize my life and be in control.
Grace, says Bolz-Weber, is the exact opposite being in control. You cant earn it, but you receive it just because you need it. Grace might be inconvenient, but its what is necessary. You dont find grace, it finds you.
Not to quote Oprah, but I had a bit of an ah-hah moment at that.Why not meet the Divine where I am? After all, God is everywhere, just waiting to be noticed. Thats grace. It shows up in all the messiness of life. In fact, grace exists because of the messiness of life.
Yes, spiritual practices are good. A regular routine is good. Worshipping in community is great. You are more likely to notice the Divine when you make time to really look. But, God is in every moment, jumping up and down and waving ecstatically, waiting for us to see. Or whispering that we might hear.
So, this year, Im resolving to embrace my messy spirituality. Its just as grace-filled and valid as the one I think I should have. Maybe more so. Because its real and grounded in whats going on, right now, in every moment. Its where God arrives to meet me.
And, like the best kind of company, theres no cleaning required to invite the Divine in.
(If youd like to read and subscribe to Bolz-Webers e-newsletter, its called Just Throwing it Out There and you can find it atnadiabolzweber.substack.com)
Kevin Aschenbrenner is a Victoria-based writer, poet and communications professional. He holds an M.A. in Culture and Spirituality from the Sophia Center at Holy Names University in Oakland, Calif. He blogs atwww.dearpopefrancis.ca.
You can read more articles on our interfaith blog, Spiritually Speaking, HERE
* This article was published in the print edition of the TImes Colonist on Saturday, January 4th 2020
Art Photo byGuillaume TECHERonUnsplash
- On the spirituality of quarantine - The Christian Century - May 15th, 2020
- Motherhood and spirituality - The Catholic Sun - May 15th, 2020
- Eustace Was a Dragon All Along: Aslan and Spiritual Growth in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - tor.com - May 15th, 2020
- The spiritual modernist and iconoclast - Times of Malta - May 15th, 2020
- Fight and win the spiritual battle | Faith | frontiersman.com - Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman - May 15th, 2020
- Launch of Center for Spiritual Imagination hailed as 'exactly what is needed in these times' - Episcopal News Service - May 15th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: We all must do our part - Wicked Local - May 15th, 2020
- AMERICAN THEATRE | Tom Key: A Spiritual Connection - American Theatre - May 15th, 2020
- In It Together! 05/14 by Angel Talk Cafe | Spirituality - BlogTalkRadio - May 15th, 2020
- Army Chaplains Getting Creative in Helping Soldiers with Personal, Emotional and Spiritual Challenges - CBN News - May 15th, 2020
- Doctor's Orders: The value of purpose and spiritual health - Daily Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Wong Kar-Wais In the Mood for Love Spiritual Sequel Back on Track with New Filming Plans - IndieWire - May 15th, 2020
- Which qualities of Lord Hanuman should be in a Spiritual Master? - Times Now - May 15th, 2020
- What Is The Spiritual Meaning Of Angel Numbers 1010 - YourTango - May 15th, 2020
- Front-line workers receive 'spiritual' boost with blessing of the hands - Long Island Catholic - May 15th, 2020
- I provide spiritual care at a Seattle hospital. Here's what that means during the coronavirus pandemic - KUOW News and Information - May 15th, 2020
- The beauty of spiritual motherhood, according to John Paul II - Aleteia IT - May 15th, 2020
- Free Webinar: Spiritual Discovery: How you can better the world" - Patch.com - May 15th, 2020
- Just Call Me Pastor: Strengths of head, heart and hand - La Grande Observer - May 15th, 2020
- The spirituality of science - Economic Times - May 9th, 2020
- Pope warns against spiritual mafias that blind the soul to God - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - May 9th, 2020
- Spiritual Care at the Front Lines of the Pandemic - Sojourners - May 9th, 2020
- The Amazing Health Benefits of Spiritual Wellness - Lasentinel - May 9th, 2020
- Spiritual editorial: Jesus meets us wherever we are - NorthcentralPa.com - May 9th, 2020
- Spiritually speaking: The inherent power of humility | Religion - The Philadelphia Tribune - May 9th, 2020
- Our emotional, spiritual, financial and physical health depends on safely reopening Washington now - The Reflector - May 9th, 2020
- Abandoned but never forgotten Millmoor the spiritual home of the Millers - Yorkshire Post - May 9th, 2020
- Word of the Week: Yogi, a word for the spiritually wise - Hindustan Times - May 9th, 2020
- Spirituality at the core of sax greats sound - Mail and Guardian - May 3rd, 2020
- Coronavirus Is Good News for the Wellness Industry - VICE UK - May 3rd, 2020
- What does it mean to be spiritually blind? - Journal Review - May 3rd, 2020
- Hello, this is... podcast | Gaur Gopal Das on spirituality in times of a global pandemic - Moneycontrol.com - May 3rd, 2020
- Hello! This is... | Spirituality in times of a global pandemic - Moneycontrol.com - May 3rd, 2020
- Health and compassion for the mind and spirit - Vashon-Maury Island Beachcomber - May 3rd, 2020
- In this episode, The Filter taps into the spiritual - Flatland - May 3rd, 2020
- Spirituality and Reading.. On The Hangout Hour - hcam.tv - May 3rd, 2020
- The Spiritual Treadmill - The Sunday Guardian - May 3rd, 2020
- Pentecostals and the spiritual war against coronavirus in Africa - The Conversation Africa - May 3rd, 2020
- With knowledge from past outbreaks, many Indigenous people return to traditional medicines - Winnipeg Free Press - May 3rd, 2020
- Plan ahead for how you will continue working on your spiritual life once the lockdown is lifted - Aleteia EN - May 3rd, 2020
- What spiritual retreats can teach us about the challenges of lockdown - The Conversation UK - May 3rd, 2020
- Building Spiritual Readiness in the Time of COVID-19 - United States Army - April 15th, 2020
- NCR readers share how they keep spiritually grounded, part three - National Catholic Reporter - April 15th, 2020
- Stay Safe by Practicing Religion and Spirituality from Home - Merrillfotonews - April 15th, 2020
- COVID-19 and the Spiritual Life | Dale M. Coulter - First Things - April 15th, 2020
- Spiritual Health Matters in the COVID-19 Crisis - MedicineNet - April 15th, 2020
- Chaplains and Spiritual Care in Hospitals During the Coronavirus Pandemic - The New Yorker - April 15th, 2020
- Special Report: Welcome to the New Age of Spiritual Luxury - Highsnobiety - April 15th, 2020
- Peace and Spirituality in Times of Fear and Gossip - RiverBender.com - April 15th, 2020
- Spiritual Well-Being, Your Connection With The Superior Force Of Our Universe - The Costa Rica News - April 15th, 2020
- Baptism works slowly and spirally - Global Sisters Report - April 15th, 2020
- SPIRIT MATTERS: The earth quaked, physically and spiritually - MyWebTimes.com - April 15th, 2020
- The Spiritual Person's Guide to Drinking Through the Coronavirus - Patheos - April 15th, 2020
- Salvation Army creates emotional and spiritual hotline during pandemic - KIMT 3 - April 15th, 2020
- WOSTER: Trying to replicate the spiritual blessings from afar - Rapid City Journal - April 15th, 2020
- A spiritual walk through Holy Week - The Oakland Press - April 15th, 2020
- BAVO, campus ministry host 'Trauma and Spirituality' discussion virtually - Observer Online - March 31st, 2020
- There's A Spirit In My Spirituality - Thrive Global - March 31st, 2020
- Spirituality and social distancing: Amsterdam church offers drive-up prayer - The Daily Gazette - March 31st, 2020
- A Spiritual Walk: Creating a new vision for our world is how we rise - Dearborn Press and Guide - March 31st, 2020
- Blood Drives and Online Religious Services: Spirituality in the Time of COVID-19 - WYSO - March 31st, 2020
- Epistles Of The EndTime, Part 3: Spiritual Sluggishness - Modern Ghana - March 31st, 2020
- Album Review: IGORRR Spirituality and Distortion - Metal Injection.net - March 31st, 2020
- How Spirituality and Jewish Values Informed Lucas Asher's Business Success - The Jewish Voice - March 31st, 2020
- 'Four Last Things' Spiritual Successor 'The Procession to Calvary' Hits Desktop April 9th with Mobile Versions in the Works - Touch Arcade - March 31st, 2020
- Online group meets regularly to pray the Rosary to nourish spiritual and mental needs of community - Catholic Leader - March 31st, 2020
- 'People Are Coming to Us Saying, I Need Hope': Fighting on the Front Lines of Spiritual Awakening - Christianheadlines.com - March 31st, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: April 2020 - Publishers Weekly - March 31st, 2020
- Why Donald Trump is a threat to the United States' spiritual well-being - ABC News - March 31st, 2020
- Bishop tests negative, urges all to care for physical and spiritual health - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - March 31st, 2020
- Making Sense of Meditation: Religion and Spirituality - Psychiatric Times - March 26th, 2020
- Students report on the impact of COVID-19 on religion and spirituality - USC News - March 26th, 2020
- How Deepak Chopra Is Using This Time For A Spiritual Reset - mindbodygreen.com - March 26th, 2020
- David Carlson: The spiritual challenge of the coronavirus - Daily Journal - March 26th, 2020
- spiritual connections - The Batavian - March 26th, 2020
- Teachers & Healers: Carr mixes medicine and spirituality with his two professions - Huron Daily Tribune - March 26th, 2020
- These are the most spiritual travel destinations in the world - Travel Weekly - March 26th, 2020
- Spiritual Life: Leave anxiety behind and be open to today - Blue Mountain Eagle - March 26th, 2020
- Post-reformation theology of the priesthood influenced abuse crisis, author says - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - March 26th, 2020
- Spirituality | Definition of Spirituality by Merriam-Webster - March 16th, 2020