This coming Sunday, May 16, is the birthday of the Christian Church.
The term Christian Church refers not to a denomination or an organization, but to the body of believers in the person and work of one Jesus Christ, of Nazareth.
Some who mark Pentecost will not observe it until the following Sunday, May 23, because of differences in calculating when the day should be set.
Almost 2,000 years ago, a tiny band of believers in Jerusalem grew into a spiritual force of more than 3,000 on Pentecost. That number would grow exponentially.
From that day forward, believers spread the word of what they had seen and experienced, and the world was forever changed.
The first Christians message was met with opposition from many, notably those who wanted the status quo establishment, both religiously and politically, and who felt threatened by a message calling upon people to love one another and forgive past wrongs.
Despite threats of imprisonment, beatings, torture, confiscation of goods and death sometimes in the most heinous ways, such as being thrown to lions or being burned alive the message continued to advance, the new faith gained more followers. The gates of hell could not prevail.
The suffering of people who call themselves Christians continues today. The world has not changed in that regard.
In many countries, Christians are under assault and giving their last full measure of devotion on this Earth for what they believe in the realm unseen.
One example and there are many may suffice:
In Myanmar, the military government persecutes viciously ethnic-minority Christians. Chin Christians have been driven from their homes and villages, reports Barnabas Aid, a charity that provides relief to believers in need.
The army has even used artillery against some villages where Christians live. In March 2020, the government used a fighter jet to strafe villages, killing at least 28 people and causing fires that destroyed homes.
Chances are, you never heard about it. In spite of their suffering, including trying to survive in overcrowded displaced-person camps, the Burmese Christians are remaining true to their faith.
Could what is happening in Myanmar, and what happened in the Roman Empire, happen here?
U.S. News & World Report recently noted that only 47 percent of the United States population maintains membership and attendance in a house of worship. The nation is becoming more secular, as the spiritual sphere diminishes.
Interestingly, the late Billy Graham warned as far back as 1957 that the day may come when Christians in America would be called upon to suffer for their faith.
Since we have experienced little religious persecution in this country, it is likely that under pressure many would deny Christ, Graham wrote. Those who shout the loudest about their faith may surrender soonest. Many who boast of being courageous would be cowardly. Many who say, Though all others deny Christ, yet I will never deny Him, would be the first to warm their hands at the campfires of the enemy.
If you are a believer, what about you? If our government turned against us, would we defect from that spiritual kingdom we claim as ours?
Too many American Christians want their faith to be comfortable, something that does not require effort and, if need be, the sacrifice of their lives here and now for a greater Cause that transcends the ages.
At this season of Pentecost, at this juncture in the history of our nation and the world, do we you and I have the spiritual grit to remain true to what we say we believe?
Happy Pentecost (Shavuot)!
- Ascend With Poog, the Spiritual Beauty Podcast - Papermag - January 25th, 2022
- September's Harvest Moon Will Bring Uneasiness and Opportunity - POPSUGAR - January 25th, 2022
- This New Moon in Aquarius Bao Will Help You Manifest Your Goals - POPSUGAR - January 25th, 2022
- 'I was so close to the sky. It was spiritual': Sonny Rollins on jazz landmark The Bridge at 60 - The Guardian - January 25th, 2022
- 3 reasons Star Trek: Prodigy is a spiritual successor to Voyager - Redshirts Always Die - January 25th, 2022
- The practice of meditation spans from the strictly spiritual to secular. - Monterey County Weekly - January 25th, 2022
- The Bible's spiritual purpose - Downtown - Church of the Resurrection - January 25th, 2022
- David Bowie Said It'd Be Really 'Hard' to Have George Harrison's Spiritual Life - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 25th, 2022
- Author Takes Readers on a Spiritual Journey and Provides Life-Changing Tips and Tricks - Benzinga - Benzinga - January 25th, 2022
- Health First's Director of Pastoral Care 'Father Bob' Bruckart Retires After 26 Years of Bedside Spiritual Care - SpaceCoastDaily.com - January 25th, 2022
- Good News, Mech Fans: Armored Core Spiritual Successor Will Soon Be Free - Kotaku - January 25th, 2022
- The Medical & Spiritual Solutions to End the COVID-19 Pandemic - Digital Journal - January 25th, 2022
- Sundance Q&A: 'Watcher' director Chloe Okuno on her spiritual nod to 'Rosemary's Baby' and the therapy of horror - Screen International - January 25th, 2022
- The Bible's spiritual purpose - Church of the Resurrection - January 25th, 2022
- Ranking the NESCAC Mascot Costumes: An Emotional and Spiritual Journey - The Bates Student - January 25th, 2022
- A spiritual look at the violence in Columbus - WSAV-TV - December 14th, 2021
- Foucaults Political Spirituality, Punjab And TLP - The Friday Times - December 14th, 2021
- Whitney Hubbs's Unholy Rites for the Spiritually Bankrupt - frieze.com - December 14th, 2021
- Column: This Christmas, reach out to those who are spiritually, emotionally lonely - The Columbus Dispatch - December 14th, 2021
- Did COP26 Have Spiritual Implications? Yes, Says One Attendee. - ChristianityToday.com - December 14th, 2021
- The call of awakening - The New Indian Express - December 14th, 2021
- If there is any country that is mother of spirituality, culture, democracy, it's India: Om Birla - Devdiscourse - December 14th, 2021
- Sunday Scripture reading, Jan. 9, 2022: New spiritual resolutions - Catholic News Service - December 14th, 2021
- Idol Worship: The Brooklyn Museums Important New Warhol Show Casts the Pop Artist in a Spiritual Light - artnet News - December 14th, 2021
- Need to spread spiritual intelligence, says Governor Koshyari - The Indian Express - December 14th, 2021
- Varanasi: Spiritual and structural rejuvenation - Times of India - December 14th, 2021
- Explore Spiritual Warfare And Learn Defense Against The Forces Of Evil - WFMZ Allentown - December 14th, 2021
- ASIA/CHINA - Christmas lights are turned on: the Catholic community intensifies its spiritual journey and its works of charity - Agenzia Fides - December 14th, 2021
- Author and Spiritual Teacher Iyanla Vanzant on Missing Loved Ones During the Holidays: 'Make It a Celebration' - Inside Edition - December 14th, 2021
- How to Spot a Spiritual Impersonator Scam on Instagram (And What To Do) - Patheos - December 14th, 2021
- For spiritual reading or gift-giving, new readings on peace - The Hutchinson News - December 14th, 2021
- Hiker spots spooky 'spiritual' illusion in the clouds - Liverpool Echo - December 14th, 2021
- This Full Moon Limpia Will Heal Your Heart and Clear the Path For 2022 - POPSUGAR - December 14th, 2021
- SPIRITUAL: Shepherds were looked on with disdain | Life | pentictonherald.ca - pentictonherald.ca - December 14th, 2021
- The spiritual healing path is a way to healing your mind, body, and spirit - ABC 4 - May 17th, 2021
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: Life (and traffic) returns to normal - Wicked Local - May 17th, 2021
- Time for a spiritual vaccine - The Times of India Blog - May 17th, 2021
- 'Run the World' is the spiritual successor to 'Living Single' we deserved all along - Yahoo News - May 17th, 2021
- DEBRIS Uses Science Fiction to Tell a Moving Spiritual Story - Nerdist - May 17th, 2021
- Spiritual Side: Food Distribution Drive-Thru in DeLand on May 15 and 29 - The West Volusia Beacon - May 17th, 2021
- Are You Experiencing Bloating? | Spiritual and Physical Wellness - ChicagoNow - May 17th, 2021
- CRiver: Church of God Mission gets first indigenous spiritual leader - Vanguard - May 17th, 2021
- Prince Harry feels US is his spiritual home as he gears up to welcome baby girl - The News International - May 17th, 2021
- Cause & Effect: Where is Your Focus? - The New Indian Express - May 17th, 2021
- Voices of Faith: Re-imagining the covenant as we mark Shavuot - Record-Courier - May 17th, 2021
- MENTAL HEALTH WEEK: It's Important To Remain Mentally Healthy And Spirituality Can Help - South Asian Link - May 17th, 2021
- Meghan Markle is Diana's 'spiritual heir' and 'Age of Meghan' will last for years - Daily Express - May 17th, 2021
- Spirituality - From one end to other - Goa Chronicle - Goa Chronicle - February 4th, 2021
- 8 Women in Spirituality to Know in 2021 - PRNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Simplicity of spirituality - The New Indian Express - February 4th, 2021
- THE CREATIVE SOUL Podcast Explores The Intersection Of Creativity & Spirituality - Broadway World - February 4th, 2021
- Upcoming exhibit to show connection between lowriders and spirituality - KRQE News 13 - February 4th, 2021
- SOLOS goes on a spiritual journey with Bill Forchion - Brattleboro Reformer - February 4th, 2021
- Bring Me the Horizon's Oli Sykes Had 'Spiritual Rehab' With Monks at an Ashram - Loudwire - February 4th, 2021
- Skiing and the spiritual life - Arlington Catholic Herald - February 4th, 2021
- Spirituality for Millennials: Choosing quality over quantity is always a good idea - Free Press Journal - February 4th, 2021
- Horoscope, Thursday, February 4, 2021: Spiritual Day for Gemini, Love is in the Air for Virgo - India.com - February 4th, 2021
- Sophie Xeon passes away in terrible accident while being true to her spirituality - Republic World - February 4th, 2021
- Sundance's 'Son of Monarchs' Is the Spiritual and Scientific Anthem We Didn't Know We Needed - Daily Utah Chronicle - February 4th, 2021
- One of the last living spiritual sons of Padre Pio reveals what he learned - Aleteia EN - February 4th, 2021
- Vow of poverty: Jesuits to look at its spiritual, practical implications - The Catholic Sun - February 4th, 2021
- A holistic professional shares a guide to transform life through reflections, practical tools and spiritual wisdom - GlobeNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Want to Know Your (Spiritual) Family's History? Then Read What They Wrote Southern Equip - The Southern News - February 4th, 2021
- Letter: Be spiritual all the year through - Grand Forks Herald - January 5th, 2021
- Spiritual direction: What is it, who needs it, and why? - The Catholic Telegraph - January 5th, 2021
- 'I see miracles every day': Hospital chaplain reflects on spiritual care during pandemic - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - January 5th, 2021
- Inspiration - The Abundant Empower Hour 01/04 by Universal Energy | Spirituality - BlogTalkRadio - January 5th, 2021
- Spiritual Editorial: Walk confidently In 2021 and always | Faith - NorthcentralPa.com - January 5th, 2021
- New Religious Fiction Novel 'The Chronicles of Assignments: Principalities' Presents Thrilling Adventure in Spiritual Warfare - GlobeNewswire - January 5th, 2021
- Spiritual Reflections: Remember to find joy the new year - SW News Media - January 5th, 2021
- 2020 YEAR IN REVIEW: Washington reflects on a year of 'Spiritually Speaking' - The Atlanta Voice - January 5th, 2021
- Spiritual politics in the world: Is it an utopian expectation? - WION - January 5th, 2021
- African-American Educator and Spiritual Leader Jay Vinson Offers Hope for American Youth - Publishes Powerful New Memoir and Devotional That Turns... - January 5th, 2021
- Ignatian spirituality in 'Wonder Woman 1984': The line between greed and the true more of 'magis' - America Magazine - January 5th, 2021
- Spirituality: This is time of year to make our dreams real - Norwich Bulletin - January 5th, 2021
- Surviving Death on Netflix, A Scientific and Spiritual Investigation into the Afterlife | Movie trailer - Prudent Press Agency - January 5th, 2021
- JI spiritual leader Bashir set to be released on Friday - The Straits Times - January 5th, 2021
- New Year's resolutions: A spiritually uplifting thing to do - Walla Walla Union-Bulletin - January 5th, 2021
- Spiritual Successors Are Keeping Iconic Game Series Alive, and They're Not Slowing Down - The Escapist - January 5th, 2021
- Landry: How to make spiritual New Year's resolutions - Grandin Media - January 5th, 2021