James C. Johnson, Guest columnist Published 7:00 a.m. CT Jan. 19, 2020
January represents the sad anniversary of the 1973 Roe v Wade Supreme Court decision legalizing abortion. In 1984 President Ronald Reagan made a proclamation regarding the observation of Sanctity of Human Life Sunday which is to be observed on the closest Sunday to the original Jan. 22 date of Roe v Wade.
With that Sunday coming up, I want to remind readers that Abortion in America is still socially sanctioned, sovereignly offensive, and spiritually sinful.
James C. Johnson(Photo: Submitted)
Did you know there's one abortion every 27 seconds in America?That's 1.2 million babies annually. And because of Roe v Wade, all of this abortion is socially sanctioned.
The abortion advocates rationale is to explain that what is growing in a females womb is just a collection of cells, a biological sequence or just human tissue.
Yet, According toMayoClinic.org, just three weeks after conception the baby's brain, spinal cord, heart and other organs begin to form. In six weeks, arms and legs are growing longer, and fingers have begun to form. At 10 weeks, fingernails are growing and a baby's face has a profile.
In spite of these facts, it is socially sanctioned to insert a tool or take a pill and end a babys life.
Secondly, the Bible explains that abortion is sovereignly offensive. Abortion is an offense and an affront to the Supreme Ruler, the sovereign Creator God. Psalm 139:13-17 records for us that human beings are fearfully and wonderfullymade. Genesis1:25-27 explains that God makes man in His image.
Understanding that we are created in the image of God, to abort an innocent life is sin not just because its an offense to that specific human life, but also because its an offense to the image of God. There is a personhood and an eternal soul that exists in humans. The Sovereign God is offended by any society that socially sanctions aborting a human life.
Latest news: Florida Senate moves closer to approving new abortion restriction
Abortion ban bill: Rep. Mike Hill files fetal heartbeat abortion ban bill that removes all medical exceptions
Finally, abortion is spiritually sinful, every time. Some people take a situational ethics approach to abortion. They believe abortion isnt sinful if a baby in the womb has Down Syndrome. According to research reviewed by Dr. Brian Skotko, 92% of all women who receive a prenatal diagnosis of Down Syndrome choose to terminate their pregnancies.
In John 9 there is an explanation of a man who was born blind. Jesus disciples asked Him, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him. The point that Jesus made is we are all fearfully and wonderfully made, no matter our disabilities.
Some take a situational ethics approach to babies conceived by rape and believe in that situation, it is not sinful to abort a baby.
If you believe that, let me ask you, Is that which is conceived through rape a child or not?
Would you murder a child outside of a womb because they were conceived by rape? - of course not!Then why murder a child inside the womb because they were conceived by rape.
How should we treat a child who reminds us of a terrible experience? With murder or mercy?What if the rapist was caught?Would we allow the woman to murder him in order to have emotional relief?No! Then why allow her to murder her child instead.
The majority of the 1.2 million babies aborted annually in America were not aborted because of an extreme situation, but because of the inconvenience of parenthood. In any situation, putting a baby up for adoption is always a better choice than abortion.
Abortion is socially sanctioned, sovereignly offensive and spiritually sinful. Yet, the powerful gospel is the loving answer for the sinful problem of abortion. Scripture is uncompromisingly against the sin of abortion, but thankfully it is compassionate towards sinners. Anyone who turns from sin and to Christ can receive much-needed forgiveness.
James C. Johnsonis the pastor of NorthStone Baptist Churchin Pensacola. You offer him your feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- On the spirituality of quarantine - The Christian Century - May 15th, 2020
- Motherhood and spirituality - The Catholic Sun - May 15th, 2020
- Eustace Was a Dragon All Along: Aslan and Spiritual Growth in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - tor.com - May 15th, 2020
- The spiritual modernist and iconoclast - Times of Malta - May 15th, 2020
- Fight and win the spiritual battle | Faith | frontiersman.com - Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman - May 15th, 2020
- Launch of Center for Spiritual Imagination hailed as 'exactly what is needed in these times' - Episcopal News Service - May 15th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: We all must do our part - Wicked Local - May 15th, 2020
- AMERICAN THEATRE | Tom Key: A Spiritual Connection - American Theatre - May 15th, 2020
- In It Together! 05/14 by Angel Talk Cafe | Spirituality - BlogTalkRadio - May 15th, 2020
- Army Chaplains Getting Creative in Helping Soldiers with Personal, Emotional and Spiritual Challenges - CBN News - May 15th, 2020
- Doctor's Orders: The value of purpose and spiritual health - Daily Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Wong Kar-Wais In the Mood for Love Spiritual Sequel Back on Track with New Filming Plans - IndieWire - May 15th, 2020
- Which qualities of Lord Hanuman should be in a Spiritual Master? - Times Now - May 15th, 2020
- What Is The Spiritual Meaning Of Angel Numbers 1010 - YourTango - May 15th, 2020
- Front-line workers receive 'spiritual' boost with blessing of the hands - Long Island Catholic - May 15th, 2020
- I provide spiritual care at a Seattle hospital. Here's what that means during the coronavirus pandemic - KUOW News and Information - May 15th, 2020
- The beauty of spiritual motherhood, according to John Paul II - Aleteia IT - May 15th, 2020
- Free Webinar: Spiritual Discovery: How you can better the world" - Patch.com - May 15th, 2020
- Just Call Me Pastor: Strengths of head, heart and hand - La Grande Observer - May 15th, 2020
- The spirituality of science - Economic Times - May 9th, 2020
- Pope warns against spiritual mafias that blind the soul to God - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - May 9th, 2020
- Spiritual Care at the Front Lines of the Pandemic - Sojourners - May 9th, 2020
- The Amazing Health Benefits of Spiritual Wellness - Lasentinel - May 9th, 2020
- Spiritual editorial: Jesus meets us wherever we are - NorthcentralPa.com - May 9th, 2020
- Spiritually speaking: The inherent power of humility | Religion - The Philadelphia Tribune - May 9th, 2020
- Our emotional, spiritual, financial and physical health depends on safely reopening Washington now - The Reflector - May 9th, 2020
- Abandoned but never forgotten Millmoor the spiritual home of the Millers - Yorkshire Post - May 9th, 2020
- Word of the Week: Yogi, a word for the spiritually wise - Hindustan Times - May 9th, 2020
- Spirituality at the core of sax greats sound - Mail and Guardian - May 3rd, 2020
- Coronavirus Is Good News for the Wellness Industry - VICE UK - May 3rd, 2020
- What does it mean to be spiritually blind? - Journal Review - May 3rd, 2020
- Hello, this is... podcast | Gaur Gopal Das on spirituality in times of a global pandemic - Moneycontrol.com - May 3rd, 2020
- Hello! This is... | Spirituality in times of a global pandemic - Moneycontrol.com - May 3rd, 2020
- Health and compassion for the mind and spirit - Vashon-Maury Island Beachcomber - May 3rd, 2020
- In this episode, The Filter taps into the spiritual - Flatland - May 3rd, 2020
- Spirituality and Reading.. On The Hangout Hour - hcam.tv - May 3rd, 2020
- The Spiritual Treadmill - The Sunday Guardian - May 3rd, 2020
- Pentecostals and the spiritual war against coronavirus in Africa - The Conversation Africa - May 3rd, 2020
- With knowledge from past outbreaks, many Indigenous people return to traditional medicines - Winnipeg Free Press - May 3rd, 2020
- Plan ahead for how you will continue working on your spiritual life once the lockdown is lifted - Aleteia EN - May 3rd, 2020
- What spiritual retreats can teach us about the challenges of lockdown - The Conversation UK - May 3rd, 2020
- Building Spiritual Readiness in the Time of COVID-19 - United States Army - April 15th, 2020
- NCR readers share how they keep spiritually grounded, part three - National Catholic Reporter - April 15th, 2020
- Stay Safe by Practicing Religion and Spirituality from Home - Merrillfotonews - April 15th, 2020
- COVID-19 and the Spiritual Life | Dale M. Coulter - First Things - April 15th, 2020
- Spiritual Health Matters in the COVID-19 Crisis - MedicineNet - April 15th, 2020
- Chaplains and Spiritual Care in Hospitals During the Coronavirus Pandemic - The New Yorker - April 15th, 2020
- Special Report: Welcome to the New Age of Spiritual Luxury - Highsnobiety - April 15th, 2020
- Peace and Spirituality in Times of Fear and Gossip - RiverBender.com - April 15th, 2020
- Spiritual Well-Being, Your Connection With The Superior Force Of Our Universe - The Costa Rica News - April 15th, 2020
- Baptism works slowly and spirally - Global Sisters Report - April 15th, 2020
- SPIRIT MATTERS: The earth quaked, physically and spiritually - MyWebTimes.com - April 15th, 2020
- The Spiritual Person's Guide to Drinking Through the Coronavirus - Patheos - April 15th, 2020
- Salvation Army creates emotional and spiritual hotline during pandemic - KIMT 3 - April 15th, 2020
- WOSTER: Trying to replicate the spiritual blessings from afar - Rapid City Journal - April 15th, 2020
- A spiritual walk through Holy Week - The Oakland Press - April 15th, 2020
- BAVO, campus ministry host 'Trauma and Spirituality' discussion virtually - Observer Online - March 31st, 2020
- There's A Spirit In My Spirituality - Thrive Global - March 31st, 2020
- Spirituality and social distancing: Amsterdam church offers drive-up prayer - The Daily Gazette - March 31st, 2020
- A Spiritual Walk: Creating a new vision for our world is how we rise - Dearborn Press and Guide - March 31st, 2020
- Blood Drives and Online Religious Services: Spirituality in the Time of COVID-19 - WYSO - March 31st, 2020
- Epistles Of The EndTime, Part 3: Spiritual Sluggishness - Modern Ghana - March 31st, 2020
- Album Review: IGORRR Spirituality and Distortion - Metal Injection.net - March 31st, 2020
- How Spirituality and Jewish Values Informed Lucas Asher's Business Success - The Jewish Voice - March 31st, 2020
- 'Four Last Things' Spiritual Successor 'The Procession to Calvary' Hits Desktop April 9th with Mobile Versions in the Works - Touch Arcade - March 31st, 2020
- Online group meets regularly to pray the Rosary to nourish spiritual and mental needs of community - Catholic Leader - March 31st, 2020
- 'People Are Coming to Us Saying, I Need Hope': Fighting on the Front Lines of Spiritual Awakening - Christianheadlines.com - March 31st, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: April 2020 - Publishers Weekly - March 31st, 2020
- Why Donald Trump is a threat to the United States' spiritual well-being - ABC News - March 31st, 2020
- Bishop tests negative, urges all to care for physical and spiritual health - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - March 31st, 2020
- Making Sense of Meditation: Religion and Spirituality - Psychiatric Times - March 26th, 2020
- Students report on the impact of COVID-19 on religion and spirituality - USC News - March 26th, 2020
- How Deepak Chopra Is Using This Time For A Spiritual Reset - mindbodygreen.com - March 26th, 2020
- David Carlson: The spiritual challenge of the coronavirus - Daily Journal - March 26th, 2020
- spiritual connections - The Batavian - March 26th, 2020
- Teachers & Healers: Carr mixes medicine and spirituality with his two professions - Huron Daily Tribune - March 26th, 2020
- These are the most spiritual travel destinations in the world - Travel Weekly - March 26th, 2020
- Spiritual Life: Leave anxiety behind and be open to today - Blue Mountain Eagle - March 26th, 2020
- Post-reformation theology of the priesthood influenced abuse crisis, author says - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - March 26th, 2020
- Spirituality | Definition of Spirituality by Merriam-Webster - March 16th, 2020