The mother of all weeks has seen Bitcoin in freefall. The biggest price drop since 2013 followed a WHO announcement of a global pandemic, and President Trumps ban on flights between the US and Europe. Uncertainty gripped the financial markets, and sent cryptocurrencies plummeting along with other assets, stocks and bonds.
On Thursday, Bitcoin had its worst day in history. Its price dropped from $7,900 to $4,600 over 40%. It then continued to drop, reaching a low of $3,850.
While its bounced back to over $5,000 since then, the Fear & Greed Index is still at extremeshowing the market is still fearful.
But weve been here before right? Bitcoin has died approximately 380 times. And its still here. So is Bitcoin really dead this time?
Erik Voorhees, CEO of Shapeshift crypto exchange, thinks the idea is ridiculous.
No, Bitcoin as a store of value isnt dead just because it had a super shitty day, he tweeted. In the coming months the world will see what anti-fragile means.
Voorhees has lived through plenty of super shitty days, since he got into crypto more than eight years ago. Hes also seen how quickly things can bounce back.
But many of the respondents to his assertion on Twitter disagreed. So did libertarian and Bitcoin Cash proponent, Roger Ver. He believes that its precisely this idea which has to be knocked on the head.
"Obviously it isnt the end of Bitcoin, but it should be the end of the nonsense idea put forth by BTC maximalists that Bitcoin is a store of value because Bitcoin is useful as a store of value, he told Decrypt. The reality is that the only way anything can become a store of value is by having some other use case.
No doubt about it, the market making industrythe institutional investors who provide essentially liquidity to the crypto industrytook a gigantic hit, pseudonymous Bitcoin maximalist Loomer told Decrypt. But he remains optimistic. I think the bottom just got printed, we will probably consolidate in this range for a while as people finally get back to grips and normality, he said. As long as people in the world have money, Bitcoin will be around.
Adam Back, cofounder of Bitcoin developer Blockstream also brushed off the recent tumult in the markets. Bitcoin has been lower last year with a bottom around $3400, and is known for being volatile, he said.
He pointed out that as well as the biggest loss, the cryptocurrency also saw its biggest gain.
Yesterday we saw price appreciate rapidly by the biggest intraday gain in Bitcoins history from its bottom just below $4000 to over $5500 within 30 minutes. So I think it's safe to say Bitcoin isn't going anywhere, he said.
Investor Dan Tapiero agreed, tweeting that Bitcoin was the only asset that could go down 50% in one day that didnt need government intervention to stabilize its price. It will be fine, he said.
But not everybody is convinced.
On the other side of the equation, skeptics argue that this might be it for Bitcoin.
Bitcoin bear Peter Schiff tweeted, With Bitcoin crashing below $4,000 I don't feel so bad about having lost all my Bitcoin. At the rate my lost Bitcoin are losing value soon the difference between having Bitcoin and not having any Bitcoin will be too small to matter.
Bitcoin skeptic David Gerard told Decryptthat it's crunch time. "Everything bitcoin's ever done has been under the best possible circumstances. Coiners forget that literally the entire price history of Bitcoinsince it could first be said to have a price, in late 2010 or early 2011has been in a conventional asset bull market."
The falling price poses further questions for the viability of Bitcoins economic model. It costs miners a lot of money in electricity bills to mine Bitcoin, and if it drops too far in valuethen they might not be able to afford to keep supporting the network.
Bitcoin miners help to keep the network running. Image: Shutterstock.
Charles Edwards founder of digital asset management startup Capriole tweeted that, Bitcoin miners are now unprofitable.
As a result, he argued that Bitcoin miners will leave the networkwhich would make it weaker, and more vulnerable to attack. The hash rate is the amount of processing power being used to mine new Bitcoin. Expect we hold (mostly) above $5,000, and then start to see [the] Hash Rate drop, he tweeted.
But perhaps price isnt everything. Charlie Shrem, host of Untold Stories, tweeted, Has Bitcoin changed from last week to this? Is the network broken? Has someone hacked it? No, Bitcoin is working, chugging along and growing!
Meanwhile, Peter McCormack, host of the What Bitcoin Did Next podcast, told Decrypt: "My only thought right now is I never really care about price much anymore, all I care about is its existence, just by existing it is a win for freedom."
Thats maximalism and existentialism for you.
Continue reading here:
- Bitcoin moves $500K around the globe every second, says Samson Mow - Cointelegraph - December 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin battles and jurisdiction under the Defamation Act 2013 - Lexology - October 14th, 2020
- Hey Max Keiser, Who's the bigger con? - CoinGeek - October 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) Closes Last Hour Down $-0.29; Breaks Above 20 Day Average, Price Base in Formation Over Past 14 Days, is Inching Close to 20 Day... - October 14th, 2020
- The Care Bears, Roger Ver, and Tesla shenanigans: Bad crypto news of the week - Cointelegraph - September 8th, 2020
- Unhealthy crypto knowledge of the week | Fintech Zoom | Fintech Zoom | Fintech Zoom | Fintech Zoom - Fintech Zoom - September 8th, 2020
- YouTube Removes Crypto Video Again For Violating 'Harmful And Dangerous Policy' - International Business Times - September 8th, 2020
- Roger Ver - Wikipedia - September 8th, 2020
- Roger Ver: 'Bitcoin Cash Can Be the Superior Store of ... - September 8th, 2020
- Revealed: Twitter Habits of the Crypto Elite - Cointelegraph - August 28th, 2020
- Roger Ver Tells Disgruntled Bitcoin Cash Faction to Buy ... - August 25th, 2020
- Roger Ver | Twitter - August 25th, 2020
- Roger Ver Tells Disgruntled Bitcoin Cash Faction to Buy Dash - Crypto Briefing - August 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin.com and Cred Join Hands Over Crypto Lending - Live Bitcoin News - August 25th, 2020
- The Bitcoiners Who Live 'Permanently Not There' - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 25th, 2020
- The crypto factor: investigating jurisdiction, lis pendens and the greatest mystery in the crypto world - Lexology - August 12th, 2020
- Coming Soon: Craig Wright The Movie (and Book) - Cointelegraph - August 12th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency News Update: Bitcoin claws back ground above $11,000, XRP is on fire again - FXStreet - August 8th, 2020
- Pompliano's interview with Roger Ver - The Cryptonomist - August 6th, 2020
- Roger McNamee - Wikipedia - August 3rd, 2020
- Haywire movie review & film summary (2012) | Roger Ebert - August 3rd, 2020
- Midsommar movie review & film summary (2019) | Roger Ebert - August 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) Down $2.62 On 4 Hour Chart, in an Uptrend Over Past 14 Days; Price Base in Formation Over Past 90 Days - CFDTrading - August 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) Idea That Works Every Time the Propaganda is made in Blockchain Space - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - July 31st, 2020
- Jordan confronts tech CEOs over claims of anti-conservative bias | TheHill - The Hill - July 29th, 2020
- Joe Exotic Versus Michael Jordan - - Who Will Be Crowned Emmy King? - Forbes - July 29th, 2020
- Michael Jordan announces first recipients of $100 million pledge - Crain's Chicago Business - July 29th, 2020
- WATCH: MJ's priceless real-time reaction to Bird's 3-point dominance in '88 - NBC Sports Boston - July 29th, 2020
- Jordan to open its first drive-in theatre - Arab News - July 29th, 2020
- Fantasy Baseball Waiver Wire: Dustin May, Jordan Montgomery get their shot; Oliver Drake's job to lose in TB? - CBS Sports - July 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash were used to buy Onions GrayScale to List BCH Soon - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - July 26th, 2020
- Roger Ver Says Twitter Blocking His Tweets About BCH ... - July 26th, 2020
- Expert Insights on the Asian Crypto Market Amidst Pandemic - Cointelegraph - July 26th, 2020
- Is There A World Beyond YouTube for Crypto? - Cryptonews - July 25th, 2020
- Expert Insights on the Asian Crypto Market Amidst Pandemic - Yahoo Finance - July 24th, 2020
- It's like cricket was never locked down ... West Sussex clubs enjoying their July friendlies - West Sussex County Times - July 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) Down $7.3 Over Past 4 Hours, Breaks Below 20 Day Average; Price Base in Formation Over Past 30 Days - CFDTrading - July 17th, 2020
- Roger Ver Contradicts 50% Report, Says Only 10% Of Bitcoin ... - July 15th, 2020
- Roger Ver vows to fight new libel lawsuit from Craig ... - July 15th, 2020
- Roger Ver Shares His Story in New Video Series - July 14th, 2020
- 3 snippets to begin your day: XRP in Japan, Roger Ver takes on YT and more - AMBCrypto English - June 22nd, 2020
- Market Predictions, Miner Fees Fluctuate, & China Moves Fast: Bad Crypto News of the Week - Cointelegraph - June 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Will Hit $400,000 When USD Collapses, Analyst Predicts - International Business Times - June 22nd, 2020
- Latest Bitcoin Cash price and analysis (BCH to USD) - Yahoo Finance - June 21st, 2020
- IBM and Oracle Set to Host Exclusive RoundTables at Virtual Conference - Cryptonews - June 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) Down $0.88 On 4 Hour Chart, Started Today Down 0.14%; in an Uptrend Over Past 14 Days - CFDTrading - June 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) Always Triumphs in the Value Factor Argument with Roger Ver Theory - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - June 9th, 2020
- The Lizard People Invented Bitcoin: Crypto is a Hotbed for Conspiracy Theories - Cointelegraph - June 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) Down $2.13 On 4 Hour Chart; Moves Up For the 2nd Day In A Row - CFDTrading - June 9th, 2020
- Review Cryptopia: Bitcoin, Blockchains and the Future of the Internet - Cointelegraph - May 15th, 2020
- Join Cointelegraphs Bitcoin Halving Party, Less Than 3 Hours to Go - Cointelegraph - May 15th, 2020
- Lots of Action but No Bull Rally: Heres How the Bitcoin Halving Went Down - Cointelegraph - May 15th, 2020
- 7 best ways to watch the Bitcoin halving 2020 live - Decrypt - May 15th, 2020
- Review - Cryptopia: Bitcoin, Blockchains and the Future of the Internet - Cointelegraph - May 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Not Cash For the World: Recap of Webit Fireside Chat with Roger Ver - Cointelegraph - May 3rd, 2020
- Exclusive Interview with Roger Ver: Should We Expect Something Similar to 2017s Crypto Boom Again? - U.Today - May 3rd, 2020
- Elon Musk and Roger Ver Say That It Is Time to End the COVID-19 Lockdowns - CryptoGlobe - May 3rd, 2020
- No Visits, No Parole: Ross Ulbricht Is More Alone Than Ever During COVID-19 - CoinDesk - May 3rd, 2020
- Banking the Unbanked: How the Crypto Community Can Make a Big Impact - Yahoo Finance - May 3rd, 2020
- Craig Wright Suing Everybody Leaves Horrible Taste in My Mouth: Roger Ver - U.Today - April 30th, 2020
- Roger Ver Explains Why He Stopped Promoting Bitcoin (BTC ... - April 27th, 2020
- Roger Ver Gives The Main Reason Why Hes No Longer A ... - April 27th, 2020
- Roger Ver Virtually Dismisses the Coronavirus Crisis - The Merkle Hash - April 2nd, 2020
- Unimpressed by $6K Bitcoin (BTC)? This Problem Revealed by Economist Prevents It from Surging Higher - U.Today - April 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Price Pumpers Compared to COVID-19 Opportunists by Roger Ver - U.Today - March 31st, 2020
- How To Use Big News to Predict Bitcoin... - Coinspeaker - March 26th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cashs embrace of privacy features could be the next big step - AMBCrypto - March 17th, 2020
- Bitcoin Association Announces Its Second Big Hire This Month - Live Bitcoin News - March 17th, 2020
- Bitcoin Analysts to Wall Street Players: Chill Out! - Live Bitcoin News - March 17th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash Dev Proposes BCH Node To Avoid An Unwanted Chain Split, Roger Ver On Board - Bitcoin Exchange Guide - February 25th, 2020
- US Federal Court Judge Allows UnitedCorp to Continue its Antitrust Suit against Bitmain, Kraken, Roger Ver and the ABC Bitcoin Cash Development Team -... - February 6th, 2020
- McAfee Continues Bitcoin Tirade: BTC is the Hotmail of Crypto - Ethereum World News - February 6th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash: debates tend to be raging all over mining tax - Sahiwal Tv - February 6th, 2020
- Bitcoin.com withdraws from Bitcoin Cash proposal to divert part of block rewards to dev fund - Yahoo Finance - January 30th, 2020
- Competing Bitcoin Cash Mining Pool Averted 'For the Time Being' - Cryptonews - January 30th, 2020
- Transformation, Domination, Evasion, and 20 Crypto Jokes - Cryptonews - January 30th, 2020
- Issue 35 Of CoinMetrics State Of The Network Re-Examines Largest Bitcoin Hacks In Its History - The Coin Republic - January 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cashs adoption metrics for Australia accused of being fabricated - AMBCrypto - January 5th, 2020
- Ethereum, Litecoin, Bitcoin Cash and Binance Leaders Asked To Help The Impacted by The Australian Fi - U.Today - January 5th, 2020
- One Day Left For Craig Wright To Expose The Flaws Of Bitcoin - The Coin Republic - January 5th, 2020