Virgin Atlantic staff will be asked to take eight weeks of unpaid leave over the next three months, to help the airline cope during the coronavirus pandemic.
The airline is one of many to have brought in drastic measures to cope with a fall in passenger demand, due to global travel restrictions and the reluctance to travel due to the disease.
Bosses said the cost would be spread over six months' salary to "drastically reduce costs without job losses".
Also on Monday:
Shares in IAG closed 27% down while easyJet's stock lost almost 20%.
Shares in TUI fell by more than 30% at one stage but recovered to be almost 12.7% lower while Ryanair also shed 12.7%.
The falls chimed with a series of warnings relating to the aviation and tourism sectors.
One consultancy claimed most of the world's airlines could be bankrupt by the end of May without help from the government and industry.
The CAPA Centre for Aviation, an airline analysis and consulting firm based in Australia, spoke up as airlines worldwide cut schedules and staff due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
"Demand is drying up in ways that are completely unprecedented," CAPA said in a report. "Normality is not yet on the horizon."
The UK's travel association, Abta, issued a similar appeal for government help and urged acceptance of its recommendation that refund credits should be accepted as an alternative to cash refunds where trips had to be cancelled.
Many countries have closed borders to arrivals or have announced compulsory self-isolation, leading to a sharp fall in demand for air travel.
The US has banned all flights from Europe, including the UK, while countries including Israel, Australia and New Zealand have said all arrivals will have to spend 14 days in isolation on arrival.
On Sunday, Sky News reported that Britain's airline industry needs emergency government support worth up to 7.5bn to avert a catastrophe that would wipe out tens of thousands of jobs.
Transport Secretary Grant Shapps told Sky News he will meet transport sector chiefs this week.
He said: "We understand this is a crisis like we haven't seen before, where businesses which are otherwise sustainable, otherwise good businesses, of course should be able to survive through this situation.
"That's what we're going to try and put in place for all businesses and individuals in this country, as we join this great national effort to defeat this virus."
When asked if the government was minded to bail out airlines, he was non-committal but said "discussions with the sector are ongoing".
In other coronavirus-related aviation news:
The World Travel and Tourism Council last week warned that up to 50 million jobs globally were at risk in the sector due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Nigel Frith, a senior market analyst at AskTraders, said the virus outbreak had caused the "biggest crisis to hit the industry, worse than 9/11".
He added: "This is no longer just the smaller players like Flybe who are being affected. Industry big shots such as British Airways is even warning over its survival. It wouldn't be surprising if governments are forced to step in to prop up some airlines.
"The big questions here are how quickly will the virus pandemic last? how quickly will countries re-open borders? And how willing to travel will the public be? The answers to these questions are unknown but will ultimately decide the fate of the airline industry."
As of 9am on Monday, 1,543 people had tested positive for coronavirus - and figures from Sunday show 35 people in the UK have died since being diagnosed.
See the original post:
- Atlanta named one of the best travel destinations in the world for 2022 - FOX 5 Atlanta - November 13th, 2021
- Hilton Doha honoured by World Travel Awards - Breaking Travel News - November 13th, 2021
- International travel will get easier, but restrictions will remain - The Economist - November 13th, 2021
- An emotional journey: Families reunite in U.S. with tears, balloons as COVID travel ban ends - Reuters - November 13th, 2021
- Global travel insurance market could be worth $35 billion by 2027 - ITIJ - November 13th, 2021
- Reading your way around the world with a difference - Sydney Morning Herald - November 13th, 2021
- As the Biden Administration Lifts Travel Bans on Visitors to the U.S., Museums Hope It Will Boost Lagging Attendance - artnet News - November 13th, 2021
- Maryville College freshmen travel 'Around the World in 50 Minutes' - Maryville Daily Times - November 13th, 2021
- Train travel can be as quick, cheap and easy to book as flights. Here's how to get onboard. - Euronews - November 13th, 2021
- Seeing the World Through a Grain of Rice - The New York Times - November 13th, 2021
- World Travel Holdings Offering Up to $1 Million in Commercial Loans to its Network of Travel Agency Franchise Owners as Part of a Financial Assistance... - February 17th, 2021
- World Travel: An Irreverent Guide, Anthony Bourdains last, posthumous book, to be released on April 20 - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 17th, 2021
- Anthony Bourdains Posthumous Travel Guide Will Be Available This Spring - Delish - February 17th, 2021
- Steamboat cross-country skiers travel to closed-down Finland for World Junior Championships - Steamboat Pilot and Today - February 17th, 2021
- Showing Girls the World With Travel, Service & Media - WMUK - February 17th, 2021
- Travel The World With Wine, No Passport Necessary: New Zealand Edition - Forbes - February 17th, 2021
- Apples official World Travel Adapter Kit returns to Amazon low of $25 - 9to5Toys - February 17th, 2021
- Colombia was accepted into the World Travel and Tourism Council - Travel Daily News International - February 17th, 2021
- Uzakrota Global Travel Awards has announced the global winners for the Travel and Tourism industry - 2020 - Travel Daily News International - February 17th, 2021
- Animal Crossing Players Are Using Gulliver Items in SUPER Creative Builds - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 17th, 2021
- Around the world with Ryan Jacobson: Westerly native's travel memoir takes readers to 12 countries - The Westerly Sun - February 17th, 2021
- Leisure Travel Market: What most excites you about the possibilities/opportunities hidden within industrial data? KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU... - February 17th, 2021
- The age of the wheelie-bag - What will travel look like after the pandemic? | Special report - The Economist - February 17th, 2021
- Hope on the horizon: Global tourism body calls for end to travel bans - The South African - February 17th, 2021
- ITB Berlin NOW: Tours and activities as a way out of the crisis - Travel Daily News International - February 17th, 2021
- One Billion Fewer International Arrivals Make 2020 Worst Year in Tourism Industry - SchengenVisaInfo.com - SchengenVisaInfo.com - February 10th, 2021
- International Tourism back to 48%, 74% or 96% in 2023? - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - February 10th, 2021
- The Nevisian Kiss on the Island of Love - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - February 10th, 2021
- Will Vaccines Be Required in Cruising and How Will that Impact Sales? - Travel Agent - February 10th, 2021
- Disjointed restrictions are tripping up a travel recovery and it may be getting worse - The Dallas Morning News - February 10th, 2021
- WTTC Says Governments Should Abandon The Concept Of 'High-Risk Countries' And Instead Focus On 'High-Risk Travellers' - Hospitality Net - February 10th, 2021
- Travel in a "Post-Covid-19" World and How Businesses are Preparing for it - ChicagoNow - February 10th, 2021
- CHTA: Economic Survival Tied to Health Safety and Responsible Tourism - Travel Agent - February 10th, 2021
- 53 Black founders and investors to watch in 2021 - PitchBook News & Analysis - February 10th, 2021
- The biggest post-pandemic challenge in travel - Travel Weekly - February 10th, 2021
- Sharify makes it super simple to rediscover your citys social side - TechCrunch - February 10th, 2021
- Universal teams with Big Hit and YG Entertainment to invest in global live-streaming platform - Music Business Worldwide - February 10th, 2021
- Around the globe, virus cancels spring travel for millions - The Associated Press - February 10th, 2021
- The Langham Hotels in the US and UK get top recognition - Travel & Tourism News Middle East - February 10th, 2021
- Salesforce declares the 9-to-5 workday dead, will let some employees work remotely from now on - The Verge - February 10th, 2021
- Hotel openings around the world, Travel News & Top Stories - The Straits Times - January 5th, 2021
- 16 Really Good Things That Happened in the Travel World in 2020 - Hospitality Net - January 5th, 2021
- A Mass. beach just ranked among the top 25 island beaches in the world - Boston.com - January 5th, 2021
- Jim Cramer: 10 Investment Themes I Like in 2021 - RealMoney - January 5th, 2021
- Travel 2021: What will be on the itinerary once vaccination opens up the world? - The Financial Express - January 5th, 2021
- Travel to New Zealand during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - CNN - January 5th, 2021
- Playing the Green Lottery: Life Inside Colombias Emerald Mines - The New York Times - January 5th, 2021
- Traveling to Spain during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - CNN - January 5th, 2021
- How four of this year's Transformers helped the world's biggest banks surviveand thrive... - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 5th, 2021
- Travel to Antarctica during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - CNN - January 5th, 2021
- The cauldrons of gold theory of media and startups - TechCrunch - January 5th, 2021
- Tracing the steps of a fantastic voyage, part 2 - SF Gate - January 5th, 2021
- Discovery+ enters the streaming wars with a big bet on reality TV - CNBC - January 5th, 2021
- Epic Games buys enormous shopping mall, will convert it to global HQ - Polygon - January 5th, 2021
- Where the President Got His Lies About Georgia - Slate - January 5th, 2021
- World War 3: Israel told dont underestimate Irans weapons as tensions soar - Daily Express - December 5th, 2020
- China branded 'greatest threat to democracy and freedom since WW2 by US spy chief - Daily Express - December 5th, 2020
- China THREAT as US intelligence chief warns Bidens team targeted amid trade tensions - Daily Express - December 5th, 2020
- Boris must act now before its too late! Navy chief calls for UK to stand up to China - Express - December 5th, 2020
- Ivanka Trump blasted over India intervention as POTUS set to leave White House - Daily Express - December 5th, 2020
- SAIS students from around the world travel to Italy for in-person instruction - The Hub at Johns Hopkins - October 29th, 2020
- New World, New Duties: Creating Tomorrows Travel, Today - Worth - October 29th, 2020
- These destinations were overwhelmed by tourists. Here's how they're doing now - CNN - October 29th, 2020
- Villas of Distinction Recognized with Cond Nast Traveler's 2020 Readers' Choice Award in Villas Category - Benzinga - October 29th, 2020
- Trending Now: Sports Tourism Market Share, Growth, Demand, Trends, Region Wise Analysis of Top Players and Forecasts - Aerospace Journal - October 29th, 2020
- Where Wes Anderson films 'accidentally' come to life - The Guardian - October 29th, 2020
- Beachfront Residences at The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort Open November 1 - Luxury Travel Advisor - October 29th, 2020
- Tourism and Agriculture Market 2020 Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Growth, Sales, Opportunities, Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - TechnoWeekly - October 29th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on the Hospitality, Travel, and Leisure Sector - Programming Insider - October 29th, 2020
- Africas year of zero: a special report on the future of wildlife tourism - Financial Times - October 29th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Is self-catering the best option? - World First Travel Insurance - October 29th, 2020
- From Lusaka to the world: why travel holds the key to economic recovery - themastonline.com - October 29th, 2020
- TCS World Travel Announces Dates for Its First All-Inclusive Luxury Expeditions On Ground-Breaking New Airbus A321neo Private Jet - Business Wire - October 14th, 2020
- Hacienda Tres Ros is a Strong Candidate in Three 2020 World Travel Awards Categories - PR Web - October 14th, 2020
- Peru, Bahamas and Puerto Rico Added to WTTC's Safe Travels List - TravelPulse - October 14th, 2020
- Maldives bags 8 nominations at World Travel Awards - The Edition - October 14th, 2020
- Aircraft Interiors Expo (AIX) And World Travel Catering & Onboard Services Expo (WTCE) Announce They Will Bring the Industry Together in Hamburg... - October 14th, 2020
- WTTC has a plan to save the travel sector - Travel Weekly - October 14th, 2020
- Short's Travel Signs with Deem to Offer An Additional Travel Booking Solution for Clients - GlobeNewswire - October 14th, 2020
- Travel insurance proposition enhanced by Zurich - ITIJ - October 14th, 2020