The dramatic image was snapped by NASAs probe and enhanced by citizen scientist Kevin Gill. The picture features Jupiters upper hemisphere where a pitch-black and round shadow has appeared. NASAs Juno took the picture on its 22nd close flyby of the Gas Giant on September 11, 2019. During the flyby, the spacecraft dipped to a distance of just 4,885 miles (7,862km) above the planets cloud tops.
So, what exactly is the dark shadow blemishing the surface of the solar systems biggest planet?
Could it be a black hole threatening to trap Jupiter in the unavoidable grip of its gravity?
Thankfully, the black hole is completely harmless and is the result of Jupiters moon Io passing directly in front of the Sun.
NASA said: Jupiters volcanically active moon Io casts its shadow on the planet in this dramatic image from NASAs Juno spacecraft.
READ MORE: Jupiters magnetic field is CHANGING and you wont believe why
As with solar eclipses on the Earth, within the dark circle racing across Jupiters cloud tops, one would witness a full solar eclipse as Io passes in front of the Sun.
Such events occur frequently on Jupiter because it is a large planet with many moons.
According to the USspaceagency, the Gas Giant boasts a total of 75 lunar satellites.
Similarly to Saturn, NASAs 1979 Voyager probe also discovered a faint ring of material running around the planet.
READ MORE:NASA spacecraft will hunt for life on Jupiter's moon Europa
However, unlike most of the other planets in the solar system, the Sun never moves far away from the planets equator.
Jupiters axis is not tilted highly when compared to its orbit, meaning the Sun often crosses paths with Jupiters moons.
As a result, NASA said dark shadows like the one above often fall on the planets cloudy surface.
The exact same effect takes place on Earth during a spectacular total solar eclipse.
READ MORE: NASAs Juno spacecraft captures stunning image of gas giant
NASA said: Junos close proximity to Jupiter provides an exceptional fish-eye view, showing a small fraction near the planets equator.
The shadow is about 2,200 miles (3,600km) wide, approximately the same width as Io, but appears much larger relative to Jupiter.
A little larger than Earths Moon, Io is perhaps most famous for its many active volcanoes, often caught lofting fountains of ejecta well above its thin atmosphere.
All of Junos raw images are shared online in the JunoCam archive and NASA encourages members of the public to play around with and process them as they see fit.
The rest is here:
- NASA - Wikipedia - May 9th, 2020
- Overview | Jupiter NASA Solar System Exploration - May 9th, 2020
- NASA starts packing Mars rover Perseverance ahead of July launch - Space.com - May 9th, 2020
- 'NASA at Home' is bringing space to you daily with incredible resources for all ages - Space.com - May 3rd, 2020
- Hear how NASA switched up her landing protocol due to Covid-19 - CNN - May 3rd, 2020
- NASA Has Translated a Hubble Photo Into Music, And It's Absolutely Chilling - ScienceAlert - May 3rd, 2020
- UFOs: Were aliens spotted on the Moon in NASA's Apollo 9 mission images? - Express.co.uk - May 3rd, 2020
- NASA's Jane Datta On the People Part of the Space Mission - GovExec.com - May 3rd, 2020
- NASA Tracker: 3 Asteroids To Fly Past Earth On Monday - International Business Times - May 3rd, 2020
- NASA releases the winning photos of Tournament Earth - Mashable - May 3rd, 2020
- NASA uncovers alluring chaos terrain in its quest to find ocean on Jupiters moon Europa - Republic World - Republic World - May 3rd, 2020
- NASA's Perseverance Rover is Going to Jezero Crater, Which is Looking Better and Better as a Place to Search for Evidence of Past Life on Mars -... - May 3rd, 2020
- East Kern aerospace company joins with NASA to fight COVID-19 - The Bakersfield Californian - May 3rd, 2020
- NASAs Mars Exploration Program - April 24th, 2020
- NASA's incredible new moon map will serve as blueprint for human missions - CNET - April 24th, 2020
- NASA astronauts on ISS tell John Krasinski that Earth is still beautiful - CNET - April 24th, 2020
- OSU Receives NASA Award to Study Weather for Drones - AviationPros.com - April 24th, 2020
- NASAs new rover is headed to the perfect spot to hunt for life on Mars - BGR - April 24th, 2020
- Ariana Grande Had the Best Reaction to Chrissy Teigen's Daughter Luna Singing 'NASA' - ELLE.com - April 24th, 2020
- NASA Tracker Detects Massive Asteroid Passing By Earth On Sunday - International Business Times - April 24th, 2020
- Why NASA quarantined the Apollo 11 astronauts - Vox.com - April 9th, 2020
- Boeing will refly its passenger spacecraft for NASA without crew after flubbed debut launch - The Verge - April 9th, 2020
- NASA solar mission spots wild threads woven into the sun's atmosphere - CNET - April 9th, 2020
- SpaceX and NASA test the system Crew Dragon staff would use to exit the launch area in an emergency - TechCrunch - April 9th, 2020
- Huge asteroid 1998 OR2 will zip harmlessly by Earth April 29. See the latest telescope photos. - Space.com - April 9th, 2020
- NASA to hand off spacecraft communications to industry - SpaceNews - March 26th, 2020
- NASA looking to play greater role in coronavirus pandemic response - SpaceNews - March 26th, 2020
- 5 tips NASA astronauts use when living in 'confinement' in space to stay happy and productive - CNBC - March 26th, 2020
- NASA asteroid probe will dodge building-size boulders to snatch sample of Bennu - Space.com - March 26th, 2020
- NASA to participate in SpaceX engine anomaly investigation - SpaceNews - March 26th, 2020
- Everything NASA Is Shutting Down in Response to the Coronavirus Pandemic - Popular Mechanics - March 26th, 2020
- Here's How NASA Captured the Highest-Resolution Image of Mars' Surface Ever - Thrillist - March 26th, 2020
- NASA: Explore space from home while confined by coronavirus - PennLive - March 26th, 2020
- 3D NASA map tracks methane buildup and movement in the atmosphere - New Atlas - March 26th, 2020
- NASA reveals Bennus entire surface in first high-resolution global map - SlashGear - March 26th, 2020
- This Powerful Ion Engine Will Be Flying on NASA's DART Mission to Try and Redirect an Asteroid - Universe Today - March 26th, 2020
- NASA fixed a Mars probe by hitting it with a shovel - Boing Boing - March 26th, 2020
- 7 Self-Isolation Tips From Scott Kelly, the NASA Astronaut Who Lived a Year in Space - Observer - March 24th, 2020
- NASA wants your help designing the robot that will go digging on the moon - CNN - March 24th, 2020
- Want to help design a moon robot? NASA needs you. - Big Think - March 24th, 2020
- NASA news: Space agency reveals stunning image of heart of the Milky Way - Express.co.uk - March 24th, 2020
- NASA Fixes Mars Lander By Telling It to Hit Itself With a Shovel - Futurism - March 24th, 2020
- NASA Experiment Weakens String Theory, but Doesn't Disprove It - Popular Mechanics - March 24th, 2020
- Nasa: 'potentially hazardous' asteroid will skim Earth this week - Metro.co.uk - March 24th, 2020
- The Grace of the Worlds: Beautiful Planets - NASA Planetary Science - March 22nd, 2020
- Drift Ice in the Sea of Okhotsk - NASA - March 22nd, 2020
- NASA Spots 4 Asteroids Headed For Earth This Weekend - International Business Times - March 22nd, 2020
- NASA and private sector have big plans for space travel and they're recruiting - New York Post - March 16th, 2020
- NASAs future monster rocket is once again over budget and behind schedule - The Verge - March 16th, 2020
- NASA boosts existing astronaut health protection measures in light of coronavirus - TechCrunch - March 16th, 2020
- NASA fixed its Mars mole problem in the most unusual way - BGR - March 16th, 2020
- Ford's secret weapon has a passion for batteries and came from NASA - Stuff.co.nz - March 16th, 2020
- NASA Warns Of Airburst-Causing Asteroid Arriving This Week - International Business Times - March 16th, 2020
- Nasa and SpaceX mission to find space gold - CBBC Newsround - March 16th, 2020
- Nasa spots bizarre alien 'tiramisu' pattern on the surface of Mars - Metro.co.uk - March 16th, 2020
- NASA will reveal the new name of its Mars 2020 rover on Thursday - Space.com - March 4th, 2020
- NASA: Massive asteroid will pass Earth next month - SILive.com - March 4th, 2020
- NASA moves forward with 17 companies as part of bid to transform urban aerial transportation - TechCrunch - March 4th, 2020
- A former intern at NASA, Carvers career has rocketed beyond expectations - WAVY.com - March 4th, 2020
- 'Black In Space' Documentary Looks At The 1st Black Astronaut That Almost Was - NPR - March 4th, 2020
- Winter Flooding in Mississippi and Louisiana - nasa.gov - March 4th, 2020
- NASA catches Jupiter storms in the tempestuous act of merging - CNET - March 4th, 2020
- NASA is Planning to Build a Lunar Rover With a 1-Meter Drill to Search for Water Ice - Universe Today - March 4th, 2020
- Evidence | Facts Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet - March 1st, 2020
- What's Up in the Sky? How NASA missions are born - HollandSentinel.com - March 1st, 2020
- WATCH: NASA Tapping University Teams for Innovative Ideas to Enhance Moon to Mars Missions | - SpaceCoastDaily.com - March 1st, 2020
- Op-ed | Is NASA ready to find life beyond Earth? - SpaceNews - March 1st, 2020
- A Year of Surprising Science From NASA's InSight Mars Mission - Jet Propulsion Laboratory - March 1st, 2020
- NASAs new gecko-robot can climb just about everything like the lizards feet - SYFY WIRE - March 1st, 2020
- I Was the First Woman of Color in Space. Heres What Katherine Johnson Means to Me. - The New York Times - March 1st, 2020
- See the moon from the perspective of Apollo 13's astronauts - CNN - March 1st, 2020
- This NASA Engineer Is Bringing Math And Science To Hip Hop - NPR - March 1st, 2020
- Katherine Johnsons Math Will Steer NASA Back to the Moon - WIRED - March 1st, 2020
- Conant teacher chosen for training in NASA observation plane - The Keene Sentinel - March 1st, 2020
- Space Photos of the Week: Venus Is the Spacecraft-Killer - WIRED - March 1st, 2020
- NMSU astronomers to analyze Jupiters atmosphere thanks to NASA grant - Las Cruces Sun-News - March 1st, 2020
- Graphene-based stress sensor could help NASA in testing anxiety levels of astronauts - Graphene-Info - March 1st, 2020
- SpaceX Falcon Heavy Rocket To Launch NASA Mission To Unique Asteroid In 2022 - Forbes - February 29th, 2020
- RIP, MarCO! The world's first cubesats to Mars are gone for good - Space.com - February 29th, 2020
- Here's your chance to design equipment for NASA's proposed Venus rover and win $15,000 - CNN - February 29th, 2020