As nice as it’d be to have the option of catching up on some reading — or sleep — while an autonomous vehicle drives you to work, the real draw of self-driving cars is the idea that they’ll be safer drivers than whoever just cut you off in the exit lane with inches to spare. After all, if the vast majority of traffic accidents are caused by human error, taking humans out of the equation should save lives, right?
In theory, sure. But in practice? Only if we can build autonomous vehicles safer than, well, the average driver. And right now, the entire auto industry is approaching that same goal from countless directions, and no one even knows what the measure of success is — or should — be.
To bring some orderliness to this currently chaotic situation, a group of 11 companies, including Intel, Audi, and Volkswagen, teamed up to publish a white paper titled “Safety First for Automated Driving,” an exhaustive guide to developing safe autonomous vehicles.
The 146-page-long document’s centerpiece are twelve guiding principles detailing the various capabilities a self-driving car must have before it can be considered “safe.” Here’s a quick primer on each of them.
Safe Operation: An autonomous vehicle must be able to cope with the loss of any of its critical components.
Safety Layer: The self-driving car must know its own limits and understand when it’s safe to return control to the human driver.
Operational Design Domain (ODD): The autonomous vehicle must be prepared to assess the risks of typical driving situations.
Behavior in Traffic: The car’s behavior needs to be predictable to other drivers on the road, and it needs to act according to traffic rules.
User Responsibility: The vehicle needs to be able to recognize a driver’s state of alertness and communicate to them any tasks for which they are responsible.
Vehicle-Initiated Handover: Autonomous vehicles must be able to let drivers know when they need to takeover and make it easy for them to do so. If a takeover request is ignored, the vehicle also needs to have a way to cope with the situation while minimizing risk.
Driver-Initiated Handover: The driver needs to have a way to explicitly ask to take over operation of the self-driving car.
Effects of Automation: An autonomous vehicle must consider how automation could affect the driver even directly after the period of automated driving is over.
Safety Assessment: There needs to be a consistent way to verify and validate the autonomous vehicle’s ability to meet safety goals.
Data Recording: If the self-driving car recognizes an event or incident, it needs to be able to record relevant data in a way that doesn’t violate applicable data privacy laws.
Security: Safe autonomous vehicles will need to have some protection against security threats.
Passive Safety: The self-driving car needs to be prepared for any crash scenarios that might be unique to vehicle automation.
This all sounds well and good. Accomplishing all — let alone most, or even a majority — of these goals is going to be another matter.
Notably, a few major companies and tech players are missing from the list of people who assembled this list (i.e., Tesla, Waymo, et al). Hard not to wonder why: Maybe these companies, all of whom are seemingly behind in the race for self-driving vehicles, are looking to assemble some common ground to edge their behemoth competition out of (or maybe they simply have other ideas about safety).
Whatever the case may be, the autonomous road race won’t be won by anybody who doesn’t adhere to these concepts if they become law — in other words, consider this just another in a long series of shots in the war to earn pole position.
READ MORE: 11 companies propose guiding principles for self-driving vehicles [VentureBeat]
More on autonomous vehicles: This Guide Could Dictate How Cops Handle Autonomous Car Crashes
The post White Paper: These 12 Principles Are Shaping the Future of Autonomous Cars appeared first on Futurism.
Go here to see the original:
White Paper: These 12 Principles Are Shaping the Future of Autonomous Cars
- Scientists Find New Evidence Europa Is Shooting Water Into Space - May 15th, 2020
- The Pandemic Has Seriously Confused Machine Learning Systems - May 15th, 2020
- Out-of-Control Chinese Rocket Reportedly Dropped Debris on Africa - May 15th, 2020
- Neuroscientist: Conventional Computers Will Never Be Conscious - May 15th, 2020
- US Officials: Chinese Hackers Are Targeting Vaccine Research - May 15th, 2020
- Facebook Will Pay Mods $52M For Trauma From Gore, Sexual Abuse - May 15th, 2020
- This Hyper-Realistic Game Engine Looks Almost Like Real Life - May 15th, 2020
- Microsoft Is Buying COVID-19 Patients’ Blood for Biotech Research - May 15th, 2020
- WHO: The Coronavirus Might Be Here Forever - May 15th, 2020
- Scientists Have a Promising New Idea to Defeat the Coronavirus - May 15th, 2020
- US Military Releases New Info About Navy UFO Videos - May 15th, 2020
- This Delightful AI Generates Words That Sound Real But Aren’t - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla Leak Describes Upcoming “Million Mile” Battery - May 15th, 2020
- This Wiggly Mars Rover Is the Silliest Thing We’ve Ever Seen - May 15th, 2020
- Brain Implant Allows Blind People to “See” Letters - May 15th, 2020
- Astronomers: Some Stars Have Something Akin to a Heartbeat - May 15th, 2020
- Amazing Vid Shows What You’d See If Rockets Were Transparent - May 15th, 2020
- Stressed Out? Get These Delicious, High Quality CBD Gummies Delivered to Your Door. - May 15th, 2020
- Research Spacecraft May Pass Through Tail of Dead Comet - May 15th, 2020
- For the First Time Ever, the Price of Oil is Now Negative - Futurism - April 27th, 2020
- COVID Patients Are Getting Mysterious and Deadly Blood Clots - Futurism - April 27th, 2020
- Space Force Unveils Its First Weapon, a Satellite Jammer - April 26th, 2020
- Elon Musk Says the Starlink Network Will Go Live in Six Months - April 26th, 2020
- Hospitals Are Using iPads to Turn Robot Dogs Into Doctors - April 26th, 2020
- Bill Gates: COVID Is Like a World War, Except for One Thing - April 26th, 2020
- Scientists May Be Close to Understanding Why the Universe Exists - April 26th, 2020
- Researchers Want to Explore Mars Using “Nanocardboard” Aircraft - April 26th, 2020
- COVID Patients Are Getting Mysterious and Deadly Blood Clots - April 26th, 2020
- 19 Objects Near Jupiter May Be From Outside the Solar System - April 26th, 2020
- These Billionaires Are Making a Killing Off the Pandemic - April 26th, 2020
- Chinese COVID-19 Vaccine Effective in Monkeys - April 26th, 2020
- Lysol Begs Customers Not to Drink Its Cleaning Products - April 26th, 2020
- Trump Suggests Injecting COVID Patients With Disinfectant, UV Light - April 26th, 2020
- NASA Develops Ventilator to Treat Coronavirus Patients - April 26th, 2020
- Black Hole Devours Outside of Star, Leaves Core Behind - April 26th, 2020
- NASA: Don’t Break Quarantine to Watch SpaceX Launch Astronauts - April 26th, 2020
- US Ditches Global Team Helping Develop COVID Vaccine - April 26th, 2020
- China Will Launch Mars Mission “In Coming Months” - April 26th, 2020
- Experts: Social Distancing Is “Biggest Challenge” Humanity Faces - April 26th, 2020
- Nasty Images Show How Bacteria Colonize Your Tongue - April 2nd, 2020
- Experts Say Childbirth During the Pandemic Can Be Traumatic - April 2nd, 2020
- Russia Quarantines Nuclear Sub Crew After Coronavirus Exposure - April 2nd, 2020
- Experts Say Putting Multiple Patients on One Ventilator Is Unsafe - April 2nd, 2020
- This Guy Took a Photo of the ISS from His Backyard - April 2nd, 2020
- “Immunity Passports” Could Help Society Get Back to Normal - April 2nd, 2020
- The Coronavirus Has Now Killed More Americans Than September 11 - April 2nd, 2020
- New App Attempts to Detect Signs of COVID-19 Using Voice Analysis - April 2nd, 2020
- 5 Ways an Electric Bike Will Change Your Life - April 2nd, 2020
- Scientists: Astronauts Could Build Moon Base Using Human Urine - April 2nd, 2020
- GE Workers Protest: We Want To Build Ventilators, Let Us Build Ventilators - April 2nd, 2020
- Scientists Debut System to Translate Thoughts Directly Into Text - April 2nd, 2020
- SpaceX Starship “User Guide” Details Private Cabins, Common Areas - April 2nd, 2020
- Poison in the Hearts of Stars Can Make Them Explode - April 2nd, 2020
- Elon Musk is Shipping Free Ventilators to Hospitals Worldwide - April 2nd, 2020
- This Startup’s Computer Chips Are Powered by Human Neurons - April 2nd, 2020
- MIT Professor: Guidelines to Stay Six Feet Apart Aren’t Enough - April 2nd, 2020
- Secret U.S. Intelligence Report: China Hid The Size of the Pandemic - April 2nd, 2020
- Bill Gates: US “Missed the Opportunity” to Prevent Catastrophe - April 2nd, 2020
- Poison in the Hearts of Stars Can Make Them Explode - Futurism - April 2nd, 2020
- New App Attempts to Detect Signs of COVID-19 Using Voice Analysis - Futurism - April 2nd, 2020
- This Guy Took a Photo of the ISS from His Backyard - Futurism - April 2nd, 2020
- A futurist told us a pandemic would cancel all travel heres what he says will happen next - Telegraph.co.uk - April 2nd, 2020
- 101-Year-Old Man Who Survived 1918 Flu Beats Coronavirus, Too - Futurism - April 2nd, 2020
- Mass home-working and doomsday prepping futurists reveal what life after the coronavirus crisis could look - The Sun - April 2nd, 2020
- The US Space Force Is About to Finally Leave the Planet - Futurism - April 2nd, 2020
- Secret U.S. Intelligence Report: China Hid The Size of the Pandemic - Futurism - April 2nd, 2020
- World-renowned futurist on how the world will change after Covid-19 - 702 - April 2nd, 2020
- What Will Travel Look Like After the Pandemic? - Fodor's Travel - April 2nd, 2020
- The COVID-19th Century: An expert predicts a post-pandemic world - The Age - April 2nd, 2020
- Elon Musk: NY Gigafactory Will Reopen to Produce Ventilators - Futurism - April 2nd, 2020
- Experimental App Wants To See If It Can Detect COVID-19 By Listening To Your Voice - Ubergizmo - April 2nd, 2020
- It actually may be the end of the world as we know it - The Boston Globe - April 2nd, 2020
- Dance This Mess Around: When Georgia Recreated Rock n Roll - The New York Times - April 2nd, 2020
- What's at the end of the coronavirus tunnel? Local scholars share some ideas - The San Diego Union-Tribune - April 2nd, 2020
- Futurism Art Term | Tate - March 31st, 2020
- Futurism - Literature | Britannica - March 31st, 2020
- Scientists Say There Could Be Life on Mercury - Futurism - March 31st, 2020
- Mexican Protesters Complain That Americans Are Spreading COVID-19 - Futurism - March 31st, 2020
- Scientists Discover That a Squid Can Edit Its Own Genetic Code - Futurism - March 31st, 2020
- The Coronavirus Holy Grail: Testing Whether You're Immune - Futurism - March 31st, 2020