An artists impressions of the Flamingo Land plans.
Scarborough Councils leader, Cllr Steve Siddons, has revealed that new options for the site, whose permanent use has yet to be identified, will go before councillors in the new year.
The move comes after a review of the deal between the council and theme-park operator Flamingo Land, which unveiled plans earlier this year to build a rollercoaster, a 60m-high cliffhanger tower ride and a four-storey building housing restaurants and play areas on the former Futurist site.
Cllr Siddons said: Were listening to what people have said to us and were looking at the planning options that are available to us.
We will work with Flamingo Land, if Flamingo Land are happy to work with us and at this stage they are, and in the new year, either January or February, we will bring a paper to Full Council that sets out some new options for that site.
The first artists impressions of the attraction, branded Flamingo Land Coast, divided public opinion. Although a number of people welcomed the investment, saying it will boost the towns tourism, many thought it looked out of place. Some even went as far as saying it was a monstrosity.
Despite suggesting Flamingo Lands plans didnt come with a great deal of detail, Cllr Siddons admitted that the scheme was very much disliked. Should Flamingo Land refuse to make changes to its proposal, he said, the council will look for another developer.
He added: Lots of people are telling us that different scale of buildings might be more appropriate there but Flamingo Land have said theyre happy to work with us if they can.
Obviously theyll have their own views of what they need to deliver from a business perspective but they are our preferred developer and its only right that we work with them to start with.
If they can deliver what we want for the future after talking to residents, then were happy to work with them. If they say thats not what we want to do well have to look for someone else to develop that site.
Cllr Siddons made the remarks shortly after launching the councils new Building a Better Borough strategy which focuses on delivering on peoples priorities and listening to residents views. The scheme will start with a wide public consultation in the new year.
We cant please everybody all the time you ask 100 people what they think and youll get 100 different asnwers but what weve got to try and do is pull that together in a way that thinks about the heritage of that seafront location and to do something that helps our aspirations to deliver better quality jobs for people.
- Elon Musk’s Boring Company Announces Tunnel-Digging Contest - July 11th, 2020
- Scientists Still Don’t Know Why COVID-19 Hits Men and Women Differently - July 11th, 2020
- NASA Pumps Funding Into Startup That Says It Can Harvest Oxygen From Lunar Regolith - July 11th, 2020
- On an Interstellar Flight, Language Itself Would Evolve - July 11th, 2020
- Scientists Detect “Ringing” in the Earth’s Atmosphere - July 11th, 2020
- China Says There’s a New Disease That’s Even Deadlier Than COVID [UPDATED] - July 11th, 2020
- SpaceX Is Planning Starship’s First Test Flight for Next Week - July 11th, 2020
- Kazakhstan Denies China’s Claim of Disease Deadlier Than COVID-19 - July 11th, 2020
- Astronomers Baffled by Mysterious Ring-Shaped Objects in Deep Space - July 11th, 2020
- Astronomers Discover Deep-Space “Structure,” 1.4 Billion Light Years Across - July 11th, 2020
- Elon Musk Teases Major Neuralink Reveal - July 11th, 2020
- Astronomers Want to Figure Out What the Hell Planet Nine Is Once and For All - July 11th, 2020
- Dr. Fauci Says Trump Hasn’t Talked to Him in a Month - July 11th, 2020
- Physicists Say They've Found Evidence of Elusive Axion Particle - Futurism - June 22nd, 2020
- This X-Ray Map of the Entire Sky Is a Psychedelic Dreamworld - Futurism - June 22nd, 2020
- Tips from the Top: Global futurist Rohit Talwar - Metro Newspaper UK - June 22nd, 2020
- Startup Says It'll Launch You Into the Stratosphere on a Balloon - Futurism - June 22nd, 2020
- Scientists Gave Ketamine to Sheep and Were Baffled by the Result - Futurism - June 22nd, 2020
- The Pentagon Is Worried a Space Nuke Will Fry Its Satellites - Futurism - June 22nd, 2020
- Scientists: Mutated Version of Coronavirus May Have Hit NYC, Italy - Futurism - June 22nd, 2020
- 1988: The New Vauxhall Cavalier Is the Car 1950s Futurists Predicted - Autoweek - June 22nd, 2020
- Mini-Organ Research Reveals What COVID-19 Does to the Body - Futurism - June 22nd, 2020
- The death of the open-plan office? Not quite, but a revolution is in the air - The Conversation AU - June 22nd, 2020
- This Star Is So Huge that Saturn's Orbit Would Fit Inside It - Futurism - June 21st, 2020
- A Space Probe Just Took the Closest Pictures of the Sun Ever - Futurism - June 21st, 2020
- You May Be At Risk of Severe COVID If You Have This Blood Type - Futurism - June 21st, 2020
- COVID Could Be Making People So Lonely That They're Getting Sick - Futurism - June 21st, 2020
- Life in a post-coronavirus world: will it feel so very different? - The Guardian - June 21st, 2020
- This Flying Car Looks Like the DeLorean From "Back to the Future" - Futurism - June 15th, 2020
- Terrifying Argument Says Economy Will Collapse For Real in August - Futurism - June 15th, 2020
- Bad News: Another Deadly Virus Is Spreading in the US - Futurism - June 15th, 2020
- Step into 2030: Join The Drum's futurist session to hear what the next decade holds - The Drum - June 15th, 2020
- This Guy Accidentally Took a Photo That Crashes Android Smartphones - Futurism - June 15th, 2020
- SpaceX Trying to Figure Out How to Land Starship on the Moon - Futurism - June 15th, 2020
- Scientists Claim to Have Recreated Earth's First Life - Futurism - June 15th, 2020
- This Quasar Warps Itself Into a Ring by Distorting Spacetime - Futurism - June 15th, 2020
- Elon Musk: Teslas Semi Truck is Officially Going Into Production - Futurism - June 15th, 2020
- Reimagining the Office by Carlo Ratti - Project Syndicate - June 15th, 2020
- Scientists Find New Evidence Europa Is Shooting Water Into Space - May 15th, 2020
- The Pandemic Has Seriously Confused Machine Learning Systems - May 15th, 2020
- Out-of-Control Chinese Rocket Reportedly Dropped Debris on Africa - May 15th, 2020
- Neuroscientist: Conventional Computers Will Never Be Conscious - May 15th, 2020
- US Officials: Chinese Hackers Are Targeting Vaccine Research - May 15th, 2020
- Facebook Will Pay Mods $52M For Trauma From Gore, Sexual Abuse - May 15th, 2020
- This Hyper-Realistic Game Engine Looks Almost Like Real Life - May 15th, 2020
- Microsoft Is Buying COVID-19 Patients’ Blood for Biotech Research - May 15th, 2020
- WHO: The Coronavirus Might Be Here Forever - May 15th, 2020
- Scientists Have a Promising New Idea to Defeat the Coronavirus - May 15th, 2020
- US Military Releases New Info About Navy UFO Videos - May 15th, 2020
- This Delightful AI Generates Words That Sound Real But Aren’t - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla Leak Describes Upcoming “Million Mile” Battery - May 15th, 2020
- This Wiggly Mars Rover Is the Silliest Thing We’ve Ever Seen - May 15th, 2020
- Brain Implant Allows Blind People to “See” Letters - May 15th, 2020
- Astronomers: Some Stars Have Something Akin to a Heartbeat - May 15th, 2020
- Amazing Vid Shows What You’d See If Rockets Were Transparent - May 15th, 2020
- Stressed Out? Get These Delicious, High Quality CBD Gummies Delivered to Your Door. - May 15th, 2020
- Research Spacecraft May Pass Through Tail of Dead Comet - May 15th, 2020
- For the First Time Ever, the Price of Oil is Now Negative - Futurism - April 27th, 2020
- COVID Patients Are Getting Mysterious and Deadly Blood Clots - Futurism - April 27th, 2020
- Space Force Unveils Its First Weapon, a Satellite Jammer - April 26th, 2020
- Elon Musk Says the Starlink Network Will Go Live in Six Months - April 26th, 2020
- Hospitals Are Using iPads to Turn Robot Dogs Into Doctors - April 26th, 2020
- Bill Gates: COVID Is Like a World War, Except for One Thing - April 26th, 2020
- Scientists May Be Close to Understanding Why the Universe Exists - April 26th, 2020
- Researchers Want to Explore Mars Using “Nanocardboard” Aircraft - April 26th, 2020
- COVID Patients Are Getting Mysterious and Deadly Blood Clots - April 26th, 2020
- 19 Objects Near Jupiter May Be From Outside the Solar System - April 26th, 2020
- These Billionaires Are Making a Killing Off the Pandemic - April 26th, 2020
- Chinese COVID-19 Vaccine Effective in Monkeys - April 26th, 2020
- Lysol Begs Customers Not to Drink Its Cleaning Products - April 26th, 2020
- Trump Suggests Injecting COVID Patients With Disinfectant, UV Light - April 26th, 2020
- NASA Develops Ventilator to Treat Coronavirus Patients - April 26th, 2020
- Black Hole Devours Outside of Star, Leaves Core Behind - April 26th, 2020
- NASA: Don’t Break Quarantine to Watch SpaceX Launch Astronauts - April 26th, 2020
- US Ditches Global Team Helping Develop COVID Vaccine - April 26th, 2020
- China Will Launch Mars Mission “In Coming Months” - April 26th, 2020
- Experts: Social Distancing Is “Biggest Challenge” Humanity Faces - April 26th, 2020
- Nasty Images Show How Bacteria Colonize Your Tongue - April 2nd, 2020
- Experts Say Childbirth During the Pandemic Can Be Traumatic - April 2nd, 2020
- Russia Quarantines Nuclear Sub Crew After Coronavirus Exposure - April 2nd, 2020