MIT researchers say they’ve taught test subjects how to manipulate their own alpha brain waves, thereby improving attention at a given task. The key: give the participants live feedback of their brain activity.
The study, published Wednesday in the journal Neuron, suggests the possibility of teaching people, particularly those with learning disabilities, how to improve their focus through neurofeedback.
“There’s a lot of interest in using neurofeedback to try to help people with various brain disorders and behavioral problems,” says Robert Desimone, director of MIT’s McGovern Institute for Brain Research. “It’s a completely noninvasive way of controlling and testing the role of different types of brain activity.”
The team of scientists found that by suppressing alpha waves in one half of their parietal cortex — the lobe responsible for touch, spatial sense, navigation, as well as attention — subjects were better able to pay attention to objects on a screen.
The connection between attention and alpha waves has been established by previous studies. What wasn’t clear until now, as the authors claim in an official statement, is whether the connection was a byproduct of a different process, or if alpha waves directly control attention.
In a clever experiment, participants were given live neurofeedback that described their alpha waves. They had to look at a grating pattern in the center of a monitor and were told to use mental effort to increase the pattern’s contrast, thereby making it more visible.
The contrast became more visible as the asymmetry of alpha waves in both the left and right hemisphere of the parietal cortex grew based on live data picked up by a brain activity monitor. In other words, the alpha waves were suppressed in one side while increasing in the other.
One group learned how to suppress the alpha waves in the left, another in the right side of the brain. Both groups showed opposite results: more response, or attention, to flashes of light in the right and left side of the screen, respectively.
Astonishingly, after ten minutes of the exercise, the subjects learned how to increase the contrast, thereby increasing control over their attention.
“After the experiment, the subjects said they knew that they were controlling the contrast, but they didn’t know how they did it,” lead author Yasaman Bagherzadeh said in the statement. “We think the basis is conditional learning — whenever you do a behavior and you receive a reward, you’re reinforcing that behavior.”
“Alpha manipulation really was controlling people’s attention, even though they didn’t have any clear understanding of how they were doing it,” Desimone added.
Some substantial questions remain, like how the subjects were controlling their alpha brain waves in the first place. The team also doesn’t know how long the effects of this brain wave manipulation last, despite some signs that the effects “did seem to persist afterwards,” according to Desimone.
The scientists also don’t know if the technique will actually be able to be applied to real-life scenarios, such as teaching people with behavioral problems how to improve attention. It’s also unclear if the technique applies to other kinds of brain waves, such as beta waves that have been linked to Parkinson’s disease in the past.
But, at the same time, the experiment seems to demonstrate that we have a surprising degree of subconscious control over the mechanics of our own brains.
The post MIT Says New Technique Lets You Hack Your Own Brain Waves appeared first on Futurism.
Read this article:
MIT Says New Technique Lets You Hack Your Own Brain Waves
- Japan Gives the ‘Go’ to Sample Return Mission to Mars Moon - February 24th, 2020
- Scientists Warn “Insect Apocalypse” Could Doom Humanity - February 24th, 2020
- Deadly Coronavirus May Be Spreading Through Poop - February 24th, 2020
- What in Tarnation Is This “SpaceX Village” by the Starship Launch Site - February 24th, 2020
- Here’s Why NASA Suspects Mars Life Could Be Hiding Underground - February 24th, 2020
- Bill Nye: Humans May Be Descendants of Ancient Martians - February 24th, 2020
- Fusion Startup Claims Breakthrough Will Provide “Unlimited” Energy - February 24th, 2020
- Grimes Wants to Send Her Mind to Mars Inside a “Humanoid Vessel” - February 24th, 2020
- New Battery Tech Could Double Electric Car Driving Range - February 24th, 2020
- Chess Grandmaster Kasparov: I’ve Made “Peace” With Robot That Beat My Ass - February 24th, 2020
- Adidas Is Going to Space, on the ISS, Where They’ll Do Space Shoe Stuff - February 24th, 2020
- Check Out This Terrifying Cybertruck Police Car - February 24th, 2020
- JP Morgan Warns Clients of “Catastrophic” Environmental Collapse - February 24th, 2020
- The Deadly Coronavirus Is Tearing Through Chinese Prisons - February 24th, 2020
- Cybertruck x Hot Wheels: Your Adorable Dream R/C Tesla Has Arrived - February 24th, 2020
- Carmakers Expected to Roll Out Wireless Car Chargers This Year - February 24th, 2020
- Study: Growing “Infertility Crisis” May Be Tied to Poor Diets - February 24th, 2020
- This Awesome Jacket Uses an LED Array to Display Huge Emoji - February 9th, 2020
- China to Round up Infected in “Mass Quarantine Camps” - February 9th, 2020
- Watch a Cybertruck Replace the DeLorean in “Back to the Future” - February 9th, 2020
- Human Trial Suggests CRISPR Could Be a Viable Cancer Treatment - February 9th, 2020
- University Chancellor Predicts “Higher Forms of Life” on Europa - February 9th, 2020
- Whistleblower Doctor Who Warned of Viral Outbreak Dies From It - February 9th, 2020
- India’s Devious New Traffic Lights Stay Red When Drivers Honk - February 9th, 2020
- Watch a Mother Reunite With Her Deceased Child in VR - February 9th, 2020
- New Research: Cancer Symptoms Can Appear Years Before Diagnosis - February 9th, 2020
- TikTok Waited Three Hours to Tell Cops About Livestreamed Suicide - February 9th, 2020
- NASA: Boeing Starliner Test Nearly Ended in “Catastrophic Failure” - February 9th, 2020
- Powerful Radio Signal From Distant Galaxy Seems to Have a Pattern - February 9th, 2020
- Scientists Plugged a Bionic Eye Directly Into This Woman’s Brain - February 9th, 2020
- Congress Proposes Nationwide Network of Electric Car Chargers - February 9th, 2020
- Man Wears Personal Plastic Tent on Flight to Avoid Deadly Virus - February 9th, 2020
- We’re Hiring: Futurism.com Wants a Staff Writer - February 9th, 2020
- DARPA Is Using Gamers’ Brain Waves to Train Robot Swarms - February 9th, 2020
- Is the Coronavirus a Pandemic? Here's What Experts Say. - Futurism - January 31st, 2020
- NASA Is Adding a Space Hotel to the Space Station - Futurism - January 31st, 2020
- CDC Confirms Second Chinese Virus Case in the US - Futurism - January 30th, 2020
- The Top Ten Most-Read Futurism Stories of 2019 - Futurism - December 27th, 2019
- Donald Trump Doesn't Seem to Know Anything About Wind Power - Futurism - December 27th, 2019
- Baltimore Police Plan to Monitor the Whole City With Spy Planes - Futurism - December 27th, 2019
- JFC: The Most WTF Science and Tech Moments of 2019 - Futurism - December 27th, 2019
- These Rare Exoplanets Have the "Density of Cotton Candy" - Futurism - December 27th, 2019
- Mindset Matters: A Futurist Vision For The Next Decade In Disability, Business, Innovation, And Culture - Forbes - December 27th, 2019
- Bernie Sanders: Spend Money on the Climate Instead of Weapons - Futurism - December 27th, 2019
- 'New options' for former Futurist site to go before Scarborough councillors in the new year - The Scarborough News - December 27th, 2019
- The future is so much more housebound than we expected - The Week Magazine - December 27th, 2019
- The "Cats" Movie Was So Awful They Patched It - Futurism - December 27th, 2019
- Moon’s Surface Could Electrocute Astronauts, Scientists Warn - December 21st, 2019
- Half of America May Be Obese by 2030. Here’s Why That Matters for Society. - December 21st, 2019
- This Robotic Bug Was Designed to Survive Swatting - December 21st, 2019
- Farmers Could Use Drones to Grow Better Christmas Trees - December 21st, 2019
- Finally, a Smart Robot That Can Cook and Serve Us Hot Dogs - December 21st, 2019
- Phone Location Tracking Is Way Worse Than We Thought - December 21st, 2019
- Invisible Ink “Tattoos” Could Be Used to ID Vaccinated Kids - December 21st, 2019
- Our Acidic Oceans Are Eating Away at Sharks’ Skin - December 21st, 2019
- The Army Wants to Generate Electricity Inside Soldiers’ Boots - December 21st, 2019
- Navy Pilot Describes Bizzare “Tic Tac” UFO Encounter He Filmed - December 21st, 2019
- Neutron Star’s “Halo” Could Help Solve Antimatter Mystery - December 21st, 2019
- Apple Is Reportedly Working on Secret Satellite Tech - December 21st, 2019
- Russians Troll Elon Musk With Knockoff Cybertruck - December 21st, 2019
- Boeing’s Starliner Fails First Attempt to Reach Space Station - December 21st, 2019
- New Research: Marijuana Changes Heart Structure - December 21st, 2019
- Watch a Jet Wing Pilot “Jetman” Hover Over a Lake - December 21st, 2019
- Bernie Sanders: Spend Money on the Climate Instead of Weapons - December 21st, 2019
- Scientists Discover “Cosmic Candy Cane” in Milky Way Galaxy - December 21st, 2019
- Mall Santas Are Using Gimmicks to Court Instagram Parents - December 21st, 2019
- Elon Musk-Backed Tree-Planting Campaign Meets $20 Million Goal - December 21st, 2019
- Futurism | Definition, Manifesto, Artists, & Facts ... - December 18th, 2019
- Newly Discovered Blinking Space Lights Could Be Signs of Aliens - Futurism - December 18th, 2019
- Astronomers May Have Been Wrong About The Milky Way's History - Futurism - December 18th, 2019
- Study: Just Three Years of Vaping Increases Lung Disease Risk - Futurism - December 18th, 2019
- Check Out This Hypnotic Array of Colossal Storms on Jupiter - Futurism - December 18th, 2019
- Russia Is Working on Its Own Plan to Blow up Killer Asteroids - Futurism - December 18th, 2019
- Scientists Spot One of the Most Distant Galaxies Ever: MAMBO-9 - Futurism - December 18th, 2019
- End of the world: This futurist has some grim news for the middle class - MarketWatch - December 18th, 2019
- Stare Into the Brutal Maw of This Barbarous Neutron Star - Futurism - December 18th, 2019
- Virgil Abloh Merges Fashion and Futurism with the Louis Vuitton Men's 2054 Collection - Ocean Drive Magazine - December 18th, 2019
- Survey Finds That Water Is Common Around Exoplanets - Futurism - December 18th, 2019
- Change or have change happen to you, says futurist - RealAgriculture - December 18th, 2019
- Middle Eastern Nation First to Buy Drone Armed With Machine Gun - Futurism - December 18th, 2019