Alexa, Take Me to the Moon
Jeff Bezos’ private space company Blue Origin revealed its long-awaited plans to go to the Moon at a mysterious press event today.
Bezos showed off a brand new design of its “Blue Moon” lander, which is designed to carry 6.5 tons to the surface of the Moon. According to Bezos, the Blue Origin team has been working on the design for three years.
“A very fundamental long-range problem is that we will run out of energy on Earth,” Bezos said at the event. “This is just arithmetic. It will happen.”
The solution, according to Bezos: look elsewhere for energy sources in the solar system.
The lunar lander will fit into the fairing of Blue Origin’s New Glenn rocket and will feature a brand new BE-7 engine with 10,000 pounds of thrust. The new rocket will fire test for the first time as soon as this summer.
Bezos also confirmed that a modified version of the Blue Moon lander could be powerful enough to carry a pressurized ascent vehicle for astronauts to the lunar surface.
A new space on Blue Origin’s website describes the lander as being capable of “precise and soft landings” to enable “a sustained human presence on the Moon.”
Bezos also talked about his futuristic visions of humanity living in giant space colonies modeled after physicist Gerard O’Neill’s designs for massive cylinders that could house human settlers by spinning to provide gravity.
But launching into space is not only super expensive but very difficult. The news comes just a day after Congress grilled NASA officials over how it failed to come up with plans to get to the Moon by 2024.
Blue Origin is officially offering its new lander as an ascent vehicle for NASA’s 2024 human landing missions.
Bezos confirms Blue Origin will fly people in space this year on New Shepard (but no new announcements so far about those plans.)
— Jeff Foust (@jeff_foust) May 9, 2019
Up until the announcement, the only clue as to what the event was about was a cryptic tweet with a picture of British explorer Ernest Shackleton’s ship called the Endurance that he explored the Antarctic with.
A site near the south pole of the Moon was named after Shackleton — a crater with rims that are exposed to almost continual sunlight.
The world's richest person wants to go to the Moon, and that's pretty cool.
— Eric Berger (@SciGuySpace) May 9, 2019
Editors note: this story has been updated with additional details.
READ MORE: Blue Moon [Blue Origin]
More on Blue Origin: Jeff Bezos: In the Future, We’ll Live In “Giant Space Colonies”
The post Jeff Bezos Just Unveiled Blue Origin’s Moon Lander appeared first on Futurism.
Read the rest here:
Jeff Bezos Just Unveiled Blue Origin’s Moon Lander
- Gene-Hacking Mosquitoes to Be Infertile Backfired Spectacularly - September 18th, 2019
- Watch This Flying Taxi Soar Over a German City - September 18th, 2019
- MIT Scientist Says He Doesn’t Think Pedophilia Is Okay Any More - September 18th, 2019
- China Appears to Be Censoring Hong Kong Protests From TikTok - September 18th, 2019
- This Video Shows Horrifying Devastation of US-Russia Nuclear War - September 18th, 2019
- Former Google Engineer: Killer Bots Could Commit “Mass Atrocities” - September 18th, 2019
- Astronomers Just Spotted the Most Massive Neutron Star Ever - September 18th, 2019
- Navy Confirms That Three UFO Encounter Videos Are Real - September 18th, 2019
- MIT Researcher Who Defended Sex With Children Resigns - September 18th, 2019
- Elon Musk’s Legal Defense: “Pedo Guy” Doesn’t Mean “Pedophile” - September 18th, 2019
- A New Bioreactor Captures as Much Carbon as an Acre of Trees - September 18th, 2019
- New Lasers May Be Powerful Enough to Drill a Hole in Reality - September 18th, 2019
- Biohackers Got Scammed by a Company Selling “Hydrogen Water” - September 18th, 2019
- Some CBD Tainted With Substance That Causes Death, Comas, Insanity - September 18th, 2019
- The U.S. Says China is Stealing Military Spacecraft Technology - September 18th, 2019
- A Derelict Space Habitat May Crash Into an Old Russian Satellite - September 18th, 2019
- Can an AI Scan Your Messages to Detect if Someone’s Flirting? - September 18th, 2019
- Tesla’s Model S Just Crushed Porsche’s Lap Time in Germany - September 18th, 2019
- A Giant Volcano on One of Jupiter’s Moons Is About to Erupt - September 18th, 2019
- The Air Force Is Inviting Hackers to Breach a Satellite - September 18th, 2019
- YouTube Influencers Are Mentally Collapsing From Stress - September 14th, 2019
- Watch SpaceX Test Its Crew Dragon’s Escape System - September 14th, 2019
- Watch a Robot Fish Fly by Shooting Water out of Its Rear - September 14th, 2019
- Residents Are Trying to Flee Russian Town Where Snow Turned Black - September 14th, 2019
- This Startup Will Send DNA From Your Spit to the Moon for $99 - September 14th, 2019
- FBI Investigation Targets Trump Booster Peter Thiel’s VC Firm - September 14th, 2019
- MIT Team “Accidentally” Invents Blackest Material in Existence - September 14th, 2019
- A Driver Tricked Uber’s Algorithm, Sexually Assaulted a Passenger - September 14th, 2019
- Toyota Wants to Slather Solar Panels All Over Its Prius Hybrid - September 14th, 2019
- A Runaway Star Is Escaping a Black Hole at 1.2 Million MPH - September 14th, 2019
- Putin Critic Uses Drone to Save Hard Drives Before Police Raid - September 14th, 2019
- Airbus Planes Will Track How Often Passengers Go to the Bathroom - September 14th, 2019
- Watch a Tesla Model X Blast Through Deep Flood Waters - September 14th, 2019
- Milky Way’s Giant Black Hole Lets out Two Giant, Radioactive Burps - September 14th, 2019
- Instagram Keeps Accidentally Flagging Fish Photos as Offensive - September 14th, 2019
- MIT Community Horrified by Famed Researcher’s Epstein Outburst - September 14th, 2019
- Unlike MIT, Harvard Cut Off Epstein Donations After Conviction - September 14th, 2019
- Horrifying Study: Corpses Thrash Around For a Year After Death - September 14th, 2019
- French Gov Official Warns Facebook: Libra Is Not Welcome Here - September 14th, 2019
- This AI Gives Other AIs Names Like “Ass Federation” And “Hot Pie” Because Robots Can Be Weird Too - July 6th, 2019
- Here’s How You Can Watch Today’s Total Solar Eclipse - July 6th, 2019
- World’s Smallest MRI Machine Means We Can Now Scan Individual Atoms - July 6th, 2019
- NASA’s Orion Crew Capsule Aced Its Abort System Test - July 6th, 2019
- Russian Sub That Caught Fire Possibly Sent to Cut Internet Cables - July 6th, 2019
- What Do a Toy Store and a Tech Accelerator Have in Common? Cloud-Based Tech. - July 6th, 2019
- White Paper: These 12 Principles Are Shaping the Future of Autonomous Cars - July 6th, 2019
- This Room-Sized Device Could Create Artificial Gravity in Space - July 6th, 2019
- Facebook Is Finally Fighting Its Pseudoscience “Miracle Cure” Content Problem - July 6th, 2019
- CRISPR Helps Scientists Cure HIV In Living Animals For First Time - July 6th, 2019
- Billionaires Are Dead Serious About Moving Factories to Space - July 6th, 2019
- Possible Alien Radio Signals Way More Common Than Believed - July 6th, 2019
- The Pentagon Wants Its Own Orbital Space Station, Like a Death Star, But Not, Okay? - July 6th, 2019
- We May Never Know When That Third CRISPR Baby Is Born - July 6th, 2019
- The Era of Sex for Reproduction Is Coming to an End, Says Author - July 6th, 2019
- A Physicist and His Son Are 3D-Printing a Full-Scale Lamborghini - July 6th, 2019
- AI Poised to Ruin Internet Using “Massive Tsunami” of Fake News - July 6th, 2019
- Facebook to Identify Hate Speech-Spouting Users for France - June 26th, 2019
- Watch a Super-Strong Robot Dog Pull a Three-Ton Airplane - May 28th, 2019
- New Law Could End Robocalling Once and For All - May 28th, 2019
- Scientists Set New Temperature Record for Superconductivity - May 28th, 2019
- Can You Tell Which of These Models Is CGI? - May 28th, 2019
- We Asked an AI to Finish Real Elon Musk Tweets - May 28th, 2019
- SpaceX Just Unleashed 60 Starlink Satellites Into Orbit - May 28th, 2019
- Asteroid Flying by Earth Is so Big It Has Its Own Moon - May 28th, 2019
- United Nations: Siri and Alexa Are Encouraging Misogyny - May 28th, 2019
- Elevate Your Leadership and Grow Your Business at Your Clouds Can 2019 - May 28th, 2019
- NASA’s Moon Mission Leader Just Quit After Only Six Weeks - May 28th, 2019
- Watch a Tesla in an Underground Tunnel Race One on the Street - May 28th, 2019
- NASA Just Hired the First Contractor to Build Lunar Space Station - May 28th, 2019
- Elon Musk Ridicules Jeff Bezos’ Plan For Space Colonies - May 28th, 2019
- See China’s Newly Unveiled Maglev Train - May 28th, 2019
- Here’s How NASA Prepares Its Spacecraft for Mars - May 28th, 2019
- This Robot Scans Preschoolers’ Faces Daily for Signs of Sickness - May 28th, 2019
- New Research: The Oceans Are Slowly Leaking Into the Earth - May 28th, 2019
- Studying the Sun’s Atmosphere Could Make Fusion Power a Reality - May 28th, 2019
- Anonymous Group of 3D-Printed Gun Makers Is Spreading Online - May 28th, 2019
- atheism | Definition, Philosophy, & Comparison to ... - May 28th, 2019
- Atheism | CARM.org - May 28th, 2019
- atheism r/atheism - reddit: the front page of the internet - May 28th, 2019
- Atheism - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - May 28th, 2019