Weve spent decades and billions of dollars to answer one simple question: is there life on Mars?
But according to an opinion piece for Scientific American by former NASA scientist Gilbert Levin, we may already have learned were not alone in the universe during an experiment Levin led for NASAs Viking mission to Mars in 1976.
NASA sent two separate Viking orbiter and lander pairs to the Red Planet to conduct experiments and return with snapshots marking the first time the U.S. safely landed a spacecraft on the Red Planet and sent back photos.
The smoking gun, according to Levin: the mission detected positive results during the Labeled Release life detection experiment, which he spearheaded.
As part of the experiment, the lander mixed a Martian soil sample with a nitrogen-based nutrient solution that was labeled with a unique radioactive carbon compound. The theory was that if microorganisms in the soil metabolized the nutrients, it would let off radioactive carbon dioxide gas.
Levin recounts how amazingly the initial results of the experiment were positive for microorganisms and corroborated by both separate Mars landers some 4,000 miles apart.
And Levin is adamant: thousands of reliable tests with Earth-based soil and microbial cultures conducted at the time, he argues, support the results.
But still, theres a big snag with his results: further experiments provided no clear evidence for the presence of living microorganisms in soil near the landing sites, as NASA puts it.
Levin supports his conclusion with evidence obtained after NASAs Viking missions, including the evidence of surface water, methane, ammonia, and even wormlike features appearing in images taken by NASAs Curiosity rover.
But NASA has continued to drag its feet, in Levins eyes. He argues that in NASAs long history of exploring Mars, it has failed since the 1976 missions to search for direct evidence of life, despite the search being among its highest priorities.
Rather than send soil samples all the way back to Earth something that NASAs Mars 2020 rover will attempt to do Levin thinks scientists should expand on the outcomes of his 1970s experiments and conduct further similar tests.
But before that happens, hell have to convince NASA that his experiments evidence for life on Mars is valid.
READ MORE: Im Convinced We Found Evidence of Life on Mars in the 1970s [Scientific American]
- Physicists Say They've Found Evidence of Elusive Axion Particle - Futurism - June 22nd, 2020
- This X-Ray Map of the Entire Sky Is a Psychedelic Dreamworld - Futurism - June 22nd, 2020
- Tips from the Top: Global futurist Rohit Talwar - Metro Newspaper UK - June 22nd, 2020
- Startup Says It'll Launch You Into the Stratosphere on a Balloon - Futurism - June 22nd, 2020
- Scientists Gave Ketamine to Sheep and Were Baffled by the Result - Futurism - June 22nd, 2020
- The Pentagon Is Worried a Space Nuke Will Fry Its Satellites - Futurism - June 22nd, 2020
- Scientists: Mutated Version of Coronavirus May Have Hit NYC, Italy - Futurism - June 22nd, 2020
- 1988: The New Vauxhall Cavalier Is the Car 1950s Futurists Predicted - Autoweek - June 22nd, 2020
- Mini-Organ Research Reveals What COVID-19 Does to the Body - Futurism - June 22nd, 2020
- The death of the open-plan office? Not quite, but a revolution is in the air - The Conversation AU - June 22nd, 2020
- This Star Is So Huge that Saturn's Orbit Would Fit Inside It - Futurism - June 21st, 2020
- A Space Probe Just Took the Closest Pictures of the Sun Ever - Futurism - June 21st, 2020
- You May Be At Risk of Severe COVID If You Have This Blood Type - Futurism - June 21st, 2020
- COVID Could Be Making People So Lonely That They're Getting Sick - Futurism - June 21st, 2020
- Life in a post-coronavirus world: will it feel so very different? - The Guardian - June 21st, 2020
- This Flying Car Looks Like the DeLorean From "Back to the Future" - Futurism - June 15th, 2020
- Terrifying Argument Says Economy Will Collapse For Real in August - Futurism - June 15th, 2020
- Bad News: Another Deadly Virus Is Spreading in the US - Futurism - June 15th, 2020
- Step into 2030: Join The Drum's futurist session to hear what the next decade holds - The Drum - June 15th, 2020
- This Guy Accidentally Took a Photo That Crashes Android Smartphones - Futurism - June 15th, 2020
- SpaceX Trying to Figure Out How to Land Starship on the Moon - Futurism - June 15th, 2020
- Scientists Claim to Have Recreated Earth's First Life - Futurism - June 15th, 2020
- This Quasar Warps Itself Into a Ring by Distorting Spacetime - Futurism - June 15th, 2020
- Elon Musk: Teslas Semi Truck is Officially Going Into Production - Futurism - June 15th, 2020
- Reimagining the Office by Carlo Ratti - Project Syndicate - June 15th, 2020
- Scientists Find New Evidence Europa Is Shooting Water Into Space - May 15th, 2020
- The Pandemic Has Seriously Confused Machine Learning Systems - May 15th, 2020
- Out-of-Control Chinese Rocket Reportedly Dropped Debris on Africa - May 15th, 2020
- Neuroscientist: Conventional Computers Will Never Be Conscious - May 15th, 2020
- US Officials: Chinese Hackers Are Targeting Vaccine Research - May 15th, 2020
- Facebook Will Pay Mods $52M For Trauma From Gore, Sexual Abuse - May 15th, 2020
- This Hyper-Realistic Game Engine Looks Almost Like Real Life - May 15th, 2020
- Microsoft Is Buying COVID-19 Patients’ Blood for Biotech Research - May 15th, 2020
- WHO: The Coronavirus Might Be Here Forever - May 15th, 2020
- Scientists Have a Promising New Idea to Defeat the Coronavirus - May 15th, 2020
- US Military Releases New Info About Navy UFO Videos - May 15th, 2020
- This Delightful AI Generates Words That Sound Real But Aren’t - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla Leak Describes Upcoming “Million Mile” Battery - May 15th, 2020
- This Wiggly Mars Rover Is the Silliest Thing We’ve Ever Seen - May 15th, 2020
- Brain Implant Allows Blind People to “See” Letters - May 15th, 2020
- Astronomers: Some Stars Have Something Akin to a Heartbeat - May 15th, 2020
- Amazing Vid Shows What You’d See If Rockets Were Transparent - May 15th, 2020
- Stressed Out? Get These Delicious, High Quality CBD Gummies Delivered to Your Door. - May 15th, 2020
- Research Spacecraft May Pass Through Tail of Dead Comet - May 15th, 2020
- For the First Time Ever, the Price of Oil is Now Negative - Futurism - April 27th, 2020
- COVID Patients Are Getting Mysterious and Deadly Blood Clots - Futurism - April 27th, 2020
- Space Force Unveils Its First Weapon, a Satellite Jammer - April 26th, 2020
- Elon Musk Says the Starlink Network Will Go Live in Six Months - April 26th, 2020
- Hospitals Are Using iPads to Turn Robot Dogs Into Doctors - April 26th, 2020
- Bill Gates: COVID Is Like a World War, Except for One Thing - April 26th, 2020
- Scientists May Be Close to Understanding Why the Universe Exists - April 26th, 2020
- Researchers Want to Explore Mars Using “Nanocardboard” Aircraft - April 26th, 2020
- COVID Patients Are Getting Mysterious and Deadly Blood Clots - April 26th, 2020
- 19 Objects Near Jupiter May Be From Outside the Solar System - April 26th, 2020
- These Billionaires Are Making a Killing Off the Pandemic - April 26th, 2020
- Chinese COVID-19 Vaccine Effective in Monkeys - April 26th, 2020
- Lysol Begs Customers Not to Drink Its Cleaning Products - April 26th, 2020
- Trump Suggests Injecting COVID Patients With Disinfectant, UV Light - April 26th, 2020
- NASA Develops Ventilator to Treat Coronavirus Patients - April 26th, 2020
- Black Hole Devours Outside of Star, Leaves Core Behind - April 26th, 2020
- NASA: Don’t Break Quarantine to Watch SpaceX Launch Astronauts - April 26th, 2020
- US Ditches Global Team Helping Develop COVID Vaccine - April 26th, 2020
- China Will Launch Mars Mission “In Coming Months” - April 26th, 2020
- Experts: Social Distancing Is “Biggest Challenge” Humanity Faces - April 26th, 2020
- Nasty Images Show How Bacteria Colonize Your Tongue - April 2nd, 2020
- Experts Say Childbirth During the Pandemic Can Be Traumatic - April 2nd, 2020
- Russia Quarantines Nuclear Sub Crew After Coronavirus Exposure - April 2nd, 2020
- Experts Say Putting Multiple Patients on One Ventilator Is Unsafe - April 2nd, 2020
- This Guy Took a Photo of the ISS from His Backyard - April 2nd, 2020
- “Immunity Passports” Could Help Society Get Back to Normal - April 2nd, 2020
- The Coronavirus Has Now Killed More Americans Than September 11 - April 2nd, 2020
- New App Attempts to Detect Signs of COVID-19 Using Voice Analysis - April 2nd, 2020
- 5 Ways an Electric Bike Will Change Your Life - April 2nd, 2020
- Scientists: Astronauts Could Build Moon Base Using Human Urine - April 2nd, 2020
- GE Workers Protest: We Want To Build Ventilators, Let Us Build Ventilators - April 2nd, 2020
- Scientists Debut System to Translate Thoughts Directly Into Text - April 2nd, 2020
- SpaceX Starship “User Guide” Details Private Cabins, Common Areas - April 2nd, 2020
- Poison in the Hearts of Stars Can Make Them Explode - April 2nd, 2020
- Elon Musk is Shipping Free Ventilators to Hospitals Worldwide - April 2nd, 2020
- This Startup’s Computer Chips Are Powered by Human Neurons - April 2nd, 2020