It sounds like science fiction, but the idea of moving heavy industries off Earth seems far less far-fetched ever before.
Collecting resources from other planets or asteroids instead of using up what little we have left on Earth could be the key to ensuring that human beings survive, Discover Magazine reports.
“The solar system can support a billion times greater industry than we have on Earth,” Phil Metzger, a planetary scientist at the University of Central Florida, told Discover. “When you go to vastly larger scales of civilization, beyond the scale that a planet can support, then the types of things that civilization can do are incomprehensible to us.”
Investing in Space
As Earth-based resources dwindle, the population increases — and something has to give. At least, that’s the argument behind a new school of companies that have cropped up over the last decade or so, trying to become pioneers of space resource gathering.
For instance, Planetary Resources Inc. has collected tens of millions in funding to develop asteroid mining technologies. But financial troubles meant that the company had to delay its first asteroid prospecting mission indefinitely.
Billionaire Blue Origin and Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos is all-in as well.
“The reason we’ve got to go to space, in my view, is to save the Earth,” Bezos said during the announcement of his space company’s lunar lander last month.
“A very fundamental long-range problem is that we will run out of energy on Earth,” Bezos said at the event. “This is just arithmetic. It will happen.”
Even NASA has recently chosen to invest millions of dollars in tech concepts that could help us explore lunar crates and mining asteroids.
Not only physical resources could become the solution for an overburdened planet. Solar power stations in space could beam near-limitless energy back to Earth — a plan that China is already working to put into action.
But not everybody is of the same mind: a group of scientists came together to sign a proposal calling for more than 85 percent of the solar system to be protected from human development.
“If we don’t think about this now, we will go ahead as we always have, and in a few hundred years we will face an extreme crisis, much worse than we have on Earth now,” Martin Elvis, senior astrophysicist at the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory and lead author of the proposal told The Guardian. “Once you’ve exploited the solar system, there’s nowhere left to go.”
Before space manufacturing and mining become reality, there’s still a lot of work to be done as scientists have only made incremental steps towards that future so far. Just five years ago, California-based startup Made In Space became the first company to 3D print an object in zero gravity.
The same company scored a major contract with NASA in 2018 to develop a “hybrid metal manufacturing system for space exploration.” The idea is to print parts using aerospace-grade metals like titanium and aluminum.
These efforts however are still a far cry from a future in which asteroid mining could support human civilizations in deep space. We haven’t even figured out which nation will get to call those resources their own — an issue that’s bound to conjure up some political uneasiness.
But time is running out — climate change and rapidly-depleting resources are forcing us to look beyond our home planet. Hopefully we can make the transition before it’s too late.
READ MORE: Made in Space: Why Earth’s Industries Might One Day Leave Our Planet [Discover Magazine]
More on space mining: NASA Funds $2M Study to See if We Could Live in Moon Pits
The post Billionaires Are Dead Serious About Moving Factories to Space appeared first on Futurism.
- Scientists Find New Evidence Europa Is Shooting Water Into Space - May 15th, 2020
- The Pandemic Has Seriously Confused Machine Learning Systems - May 15th, 2020
- Out-of-Control Chinese Rocket Reportedly Dropped Debris on Africa - May 15th, 2020
- Neuroscientist: Conventional Computers Will Never Be Conscious - May 15th, 2020
- US Officials: Chinese Hackers Are Targeting Vaccine Research - May 15th, 2020
- Facebook Will Pay Mods $52M For Trauma From Gore, Sexual Abuse - May 15th, 2020
- This Hyper-Realistic Game Engine Looks Almost Like Real Life - May 15th, 2020
- Microsoft Is Buying COVID-19 Patients’ Blood for Biotech Research - May 15th, 2020
- WHO: The Coronavirus Might Be Here Forever - May 15th, 2020
- Scientists Have a Promising New Idea to Defeat the Coronavirus - May 15th, 2020
- US Military Releases New Info About Navy UFO Videos - May 15th, 2020
- This Delightful AI Generates Words That Sound Real But Aren’t - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla Leak Describes Upcoming “Million Mile” Battery - May 15th, 2020
- This Wiggly Mars Rover Is the Silliest Thing We’ve Ever Seen - May 15th, 2020
- Brain Implant Allows Blind People to “See” Letters - May 15th, 2020
- Astronomers: Some Stars Have Something Akin to a Heartbeat - May 15th, 2020
- Amazing Vid Shows What You’d See If Rockets Were Transparent - May 15th, 2020
- Stressed Out? Get These Delicious, High Quality CBD Gummies Delivered to Your Door. - May 15th, 2020
- Research Spacecraft May Pass Through Tail of Dead Comet - May 15th, 2020
- For the First Time Ever, the Price of Oil is Now Negative - Futurism - April 27th, 2020
- COVID Patients Are Getting Mysterious and Deadly Blood Clots - Futurism - April 27th, 2020
- Space Force Unveils Its First Weapon, a Satellite Jammer - April 26th, 2020
- Elon Musk Says the Starlink Network Will Go Live in Six Months - April 26th, 2020
- Hospitals Are Using iPads to Turn Robot Dogs Into Doctors - April 26th, 2020
- Bill Gates: COVID Is Like a World War, Except for One Thing - April 26th, 2020
- Scientists May Be Close to Understanding Why the Universe Exists - April 26th, 2020
- Researchers Want to Explore Mars Using “Nanocardboard” Aircraft - April 26th, 2020
- COVID Patients Are Getting Mysterious and Deadly Blood Clots - April 26th, 2020
- 19 Objects Near Jupiter May Be From Outside the Solar System - April 26th, 2020
- These Billionaires Are Making a Killing Off the Pandemic - April 26th, 2020
- Chinese COVID-19 Vaccine Effective in Monkeys - April 26th, 2020
- Lysol Begs Customers Not to Drink Its Cleaning Products - April 26th, 2020
- Trump Suggests Injecting COVID Patients With Disinfectant, UV Light - April 26th, 2020
- NASA Develops Ventilator to Treat Coronavirus Patients - April 26th, 2020
- Black Hole Devours Outside of Star, Leaves Core Behind - April 26th, 2020
- NASA: Don’t Break Quarantine to Watch SpaceX Launch Astronauts - April 26th, 2020
- US Ditches Global Team Helping Develop COVID Vaccine - April 26th, 2020
- China Will Launch Mars Mission “In Coming Months” - April 26th, 2020
- Experts: Social Distancing Is “Biggest Challenge” Humanity Faces - April 26th, 2020
- Nasty Images Show How Bacteria Colonize Your Tongue - April 2nd, 2020
- Experts Say Childbirth During the Pandemic Can Be Traumatic - April 2nd, 2020
- Russia Quarantines Nuclear Sub Crew After Coronavirus Exposure - April 2nd, 2020
- Experts Say Putting Multiple Patients on One Ventilator Is Unsafe - April 2nd, 2020
- This Guy Took a Photo of the ISS from His Backyard - April 2nd, 2020
- “Immunity Passports” Could Help Society Get Back to Normal - April 2nd, 2020
- The Coronavirus Has Now Killed More Americans Than September 11 - April 2nd, 2020
- New App Attempts to Detect Signs of COVID-19 Using Voice Analysis - April 2nd, 2020
- 5 Ways an Electric Bike Will Change Your Life - April 2nd, 2020
- Scientists: Astronauts Could Build Moon Base Using Human Urine - April 2nd, 2020
- GE Workers Protest: We Want To Build Ventilators, Let Us Build Ventilators - April 2nd, 2020
- Scientists Debut System to Translate Thoughts Directly Into Text - April 2nd, 2020
- SpaceX Starship “User Guide” Details Private Cabins, Common Areas - April 2nd, 2020
- Poison in the Hearts of Stars Can Make Them Explode - April 2nd, 2020
- Elon Musk is Shipping Free Ventilators to Hospitals Worldwide - April 2nd, 2020
- This Startup’s Computer Chips Are Powered by Human Neurons - April 2nd, 2020
- MIT Professor: Guidelines to Stay Six Feet Apart Aren’t Enough - April 2nd, 2020
- Secret U.S. Intelligence Report: China Hid The Size of the Pandemic - April 2nd, 2020
- Bill Gates: US “Missed the Opportunity” to Prevent Catastrophe - April 2nd, 2020
- Poison in the Hearts of Stars Can Make Them Explode - Futurism - April 2nd, 2020
- New App Attempts to Detect Signs of COVID-19 Using Voice Analysis - Futurism - April 2nd, 2020
- This Guy Took a Photo of the ISS from His Backyard - Futurism - April 2nd, 2020
- A futurist told us a pandemic would cancel all travel heres what he says will happen next - Telegraph.co.uk - April 2nd, 2020
- 101-Year-Old Man Who Survived 1918 Flu Beats Coronavirus, Too - Futurism - April 2nd, 2020
- Mass home-working and doomsday prepping futurists reveal what life after the coronavirus crisis could look - The Sun - April 2nd, 2020
- The US Space Force Is About to Finally Leave the Planet - Futurism - April 2nd, 2020
- Secret U.S. Intelligence Report: China Hid The Size of the Pandemic - Futurism - April 2nd, 2020
- World-renowned futurist on how the world will change after Covid-19 - 702 - April 2nd, 2020
- What Will Travel Look Like After the Pandemic? - Fodor's Travel - April 2nd, 2020
- The COVID-19th Century: An expert predicts a post-pandemic world - The Age - April 2nd, 2020
- Elon Musk: NY Gigafactory Will Reopen to Produce Ventilators - Futurism - April 2nd, 2020
- Experimental App Wants To See If It Can Detect COVID-19 By Listening To Your Voice - Ubergizmo - April 2nd, 2020
- It actually may be the end of the world as we know it - The Boston Globe - April 2nd, 2020
- Dance This Mess Around: When Georgia Recreated Rock n Roll - The New York Times - April 2nd, 2020
- What's at the end of the coronavirus tunnel? Local scholars share some ideas - The San Diego Union-Tribune - April 2nd, 2020
- Futurism Art Term | Tate - March 31st, 2020
- Futurism - Literature | Britannica - March 31st, 2020
- Scientists Say There Could Be Life on Mercury - Futurism - March 31st, 2020
- Mexican Protesters Complain That Americans Are Spreading COVID-19 - Futurism - March 31st, 2020
- Scientists Discover That a Squid Can Edit Its Own Genetic Code - Futurism - March 31st, 2020
- The Coronavirus Holy Grail: Testing Whether You're Immune - Futurism - March 31st, 2020