Fishing will be permitted in WI-2 through 11:59 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 20. That zone stretches from Bark Point to the Michigan border and includes the Apostle Islands.
Lake trout fishing in WI-1, from Superior to Bark Point, will continue through Sept. 30.
The closure is taking effect because the harvest of lake trout since last December through late July had reached a predetermined threshold of 7,350 fish out of an overall total allowable catch of 9,800, said Terry Margenau, DNR Lake Superior fisheries supervisor at Bayfield.
Under an emergency regulation adopted last December, the lake trout harvest was to be shut down in WI-2 if harvest reached 7,350 75 percent of the total allowable catch. Harvest figures are determined by creel surveys angler interviews done at boat landings throughout the year, and from monthly harvest reports filed by charter anglers.
If the quota had not been reached, the lake trout season in WI-2 would have continued through Sept. 30.
After seeking feedback last fall in public meetings and through an online survey, DNR officials established new emergency lake trout regulations for WI-2. The regulations were put in place in an effort to help the lake trout population recover, Margenau said.
The new WI-2 regulations, established in December, allowed anglers to keep two lake trout with a minimum size of 15 inches, with only one over 25 inches long.
The reason for the 7,350 trigger threshold is that harvest estimates based on creel surveys and charter fishing reports lag behind actual harvest, Margenau said. Now 20 days into August, the harvest is likely much higher than 7,350.
The lake trout harvest had been relatively low from last December through June, Margenau said.
“Starting in December, we were doing well as far as numbers,” Margenau said. “There was very poor ice in the islands, and that limited the deep-water bobbing. Then we had a miserable spring with lots of rain.”
Turbid waters slowed fishing as well. Through June, the lake trout harvest in WI-2 was just 3,865 fish, Margenau said.
“July was a different story,” he said. “Weather was good, fish were biting and guys were getting out.”
By the end of July, the harvest had reached 7,335 fish, Margenau said, near the 7,350 harvest quota that called for the season to close.
Al House, president of the Apostle Islands Sport Fishermen’s Association, said anglers supported the emergency regulation chosen last fall, although they knew a pre-emptive season closure was theoretically possible.
“I think no one really realized it could happen this year,” House said. “But this has been a banner year for lake trout in the Apostles. I don’t blame the DNR. The DNR is between a rock and a hard place. They don’t have a whole lot of choice in the matter.”
Allocation of lake trout
According to the DNR, in a total allowable catch of 54,000 lake trout annually in WI-2, the Red Cliff and Bad River bands of Lake Superior Chippewa are allowed 73 percent (39,300 lake trout) of the catch for commercial or home use. Of the 27 percent allocation to the state (14,700 lake trout), sport anglers are allowed 9,800 fish and state-licensed commercial fishers are allowed 4,900 fish.
The closure will have broad implications on businesses in the Apostle Islands area, House said.
“It will affect charter fishing, retail shops, motels, gas stations everything sport fishermen utilize when they come up here to go lake trout fishing,” House said. “I think, going forward, something has to be worked out different so this doesn’t happen again.”
Sixteen charter captains operate in the Apostle Islands, House said. They can continue to fish for coho salmon and brown trout.
“But the coho won’t show up until the second week of September, and the brown trout are spread out now and not ready for staging,” House said. “Basically, for the next three weeks, the charter captains are out of luck.”
“It’s a very big deal, businesswise,” said Carolyn Swartz of Anglers All in Ashland. “It means a loss of a certain amount of business and, obviously, to charter captains, a big loss of business. Hopefully, customers will understand they can still fish for brown trout and cohos and splake.”
- Investors Shouldn’t Worry About Warren Buffett’s Stance on Bitcoin - September 24th, 2017
- Don’t Worry About the Fall; Bitcoin, Ethereum Prices Still Have More Upside Left - September 24th, 2017
- Daily Ripple Price Forecast and Analysis: XRP Could Eclipse Bitcoin Cash - September 24th, 2017
- Daily Litecoin Price Forecast: LTC Prices Fall Below $50 - September 24th, 2017
- Daily Ethereum Price Forecast and Analysis – Rumors of China’s Crypto Mining Ban - September 24th, 2017
- Daily Bitcoin Price Forecast and Analysis – BTC Will Hit Above $4,000 by Year End - September 24th, 2017
- Ripple Price Forecast and Analysis – September 21, 2017 - September 24th, 2017
- Litecoin Price Forecast and Analysis – September 21, 2017 - September 24th, 2017
- Ethereum Price Forecast and Analysis – September 21, 2017 - September 24th, 2017
- Bitcoin Price Forecast and Analysis – September 21, 2017 - September 24th, 2017
- Floating island will battle algae in Davenport park - Quad-Cities Online - August 25th, 2017
- Island Maps: Caribbean Islands, Greek Islands, Pacific ... - August 25th, 2017
- Spill of farmed Atlantic salmon near San Juan Islands much bigger ... - The Seattle Times - August 25th, 2017
- Tony de Brum, Voice of Pacific Islands on Climate Change, Dies at 72 - New York Times - August 25th, 2017
- The Lakshadweep islands: a sublime coral jewel - Reuters - August 25th, 2017
- Red Raiders' Gray competing for Team Virgin Islands at FIBA AmeriCup Championships - LubbockOnline.com - August 25th, 2017
- The best beach islands are in the Caribbean - Cleveland Jewish News - August 25th, 2017
- Magdalen Islands, where kitesurfers go to fly - CBC.ca - August 25th, 2017
- Island - Wikipedia - August 22nd, 2017
- Island Maps: Caribbean Islands, Greek Islands, Pacific ... - August 22nd, 2017
- Food - Islands Menu | Islands Restaurants - August 22nd, 2017
- Best Islands in the World - 2016 Travelers Choice Awards ... - August 22nd, 2017
- Islands (band) - Wikipedia - August 22nd, 2017
- Tony de Brum, Voice of Pacific Islands on Climate Change, Dies at 72 - New York Times - August 22nd, 2017
- River Action plans to install floating islands in local lagoons - KWQC-TV6 - August 22nd, 2017
- Commemorating WWII History in the Solomon Islands - Smithsonian - August 22nd, 2017
- At Least 1 Dead After Earthquake Hits Italian Resort Island - TIME - August 22nd, 2017
- Trump Pick to Oversee Worker Protections Promoted Sweatshops - Mother Jones - August 22nd, 2017
- Westmoreland's most wanted man to be extradited from Cayman Islands - Jamaica Gleaner - August 22nd, 2017
- Davis Islands Estate Boasts Gourmet Style - Patch.com - August 22nd, 2017
- Resorts in Georgia | Lanier Islands - Official Website ... - August 21st, 2017
- Island Maps: Caribbean Islands, Greek Islands, Pacific ... - August 21st, 2017
- Island - Wikipedia - August 21st, 2017
- Golden Isles GA. - St. Simons, Little St. Simons, Jekyll ... - August 21st, 2017
- Love Island champ Amber Davies says she's only bought one thing with her 50k prize - Metro - August 21st, 2017
- Join the search for surf deep in the Canaries - Red Bull - August 21st, 2017
- 16000 Indonesian islands registered at UN - Jakarta Post - August 21st, 2017
- The Islands of Ireland: Knight to remember on Clare Island - Irish Examiner - August 21st, 2017
- Four new faces at OISD - Islands' Sounder - August 21st, 2017
- Chinese data buoy found in Andaman and Nicobar Islands - The New Indian Express - August 21st, 2017
- Historical society lecture to cover Cuttyhunk and the Elizabeth Islands - SouthCoastToday.com - August 20th, 2017
- Small earthquake strikes off Hawaii island's east coast - Fox News - August 20th, 2017
- HIGH SCHOOL ROUNDUP: Islands softball team shuts out Claxton 15-0 - Savannah Morning News - August 20th, 2017
- Calvary shuts out Islands in Stroud's return - Savannah Morning News - August 19th, 2017
- Tropical Storm Harvey slams Caribbean islands, heads for Central America - USA TODAY - August 19th, 2017
- Anambas Islands to finish airport expansion in September - Jakarta Post - August 19th, 2017
- Love Island's Georgia Harrison announces she's SPLIT from Sam Gowland as she says one girl wasn't enough for him - Mirror.co.uk - August 19th, 2017
- DNR Ending Lake Trout Season Early In Apostle Islands Region - Wisconsin Public Radio News - August 19th, 2017
- Solomon Islands undersea cable red-flagged by Australia's spy agencies dogged by donation allegations - The Sydney Morning Herald - August 19th, 2017
- Pacu Jalur Festival to enliven Riau Islands - Jakarta Post - August 19th, 2017
- Weymouth neighbors transform traffic islands into memorials - The Patriot Ledger - August 18th, 2017
- Tropical Storm Harvey Begins to Drench the Windward Islands; Tropical Storm Conditions Expected to Arrive Early Friday - The Weather Channel - August 18th, 2017
- Bids for low-number Cape and Islands license plates reach almost $13000 - The Boston Globe - August 18th, 2017
- Dutch engineers test floating islands with hopes to house communities threatened by rising seas - Fox News - August 18th, 2017
- The Untimely Death Of A Marshall Islands Visionary - Honolulu Civil Beat - August 18th, 2017
- Nearly 100 percent chance of cyclone east of Windward Islands: NHC - Reuters - August 18th, 2017
- George Smith: Life on Maine islands is inspiring - Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel - August 16th, 2017
- Trust's solution to Orkney islands abandoned houses - BBC News - August 16th, 2017
- Loved wife and mother dies in Cook Islands - Stuff.co.nz - August 16th, 2017
- The Boom Piers: How Berlin, NH's Islands in the Stream Came To Be - New Hampshire Public Radio - August 16th, 2017
- Tree 'islands' nixed in latest Water Street plan - Port Townsend Leader - August 16th, 2017
- Report: Migrants Trapped in Bad Conditions on Greek Islands | Time ... - TIME - August 15th, 2017
- Like a prison Asylum-seekers confined to the Greek Islands - ReliefWeb - August 15th, 2017
- Falling tree kills 13 on Portuguese island of Madeira - BBC News - August 15th, 2017
- Fitch Lowers US Virgin Islands All the Way to Triple-C - Barron's - August 15th, 2017
- Paon Eatery in Bay Harbor Islands Is Simply Great - Miami New Times - August 15th, 2017
- Another loss on Virgin Islands exhibition tour - Nashville Post (subscription) (blog) - August 15th, 2017
- Paradise Island in Perry Hall, Maryland with Reviews - YP.com - August 14th, 2017
- Solomon Islands signs security deal with Australia to protect against unrest - The Guardian - August 14th, 2017
- How Island Nations Are Bound Together by More Than Water - Cond Nast Traveler - August 14th, 2017
- Japan, Russia mull cruises around disputed islands as part of joint economic activities - The Japan Times - August 14th, 2017
- 4 Outdoor Adventures in California's Channel Islands National Park - HuffPost - August 14th, 2017
- Why I'll Keep Returning To My People's Haven, The Twin Islands - Huffington Post Canada - August 14th, 2017
- Completion Date of Staten Island's Giant Wheel Still Up in the Air - New York Times - August 14th, 2017
- NHC sees 20 percent chance of cyclone near Cape Verde Islands - Reuters - August 14th, 2017
- The Islands of Ireland: When you come to a Fork in the sea - Irish Examiner - August 14th, 2017
- The English dialect Brits won't understand - BBC News - August 14th, 2017
- The 10 Best Hotels in Virginia Beach, VA (with Prices from ... - August 13th, 2017
- Defending men's long-course champions win Casco Bay Islands SwimRun - Press Herald - August 13th, 2017
- City in Iowa to use man-made islands to clean creek - San Francisco Chronicle - August 13th, 2017