This was from when I tried to “prove” to Steve that “you can’t just write stuff on scraps of paper.”
Basically, the conclusion of this conversation was (as Steve will attest), “your egghead airforce crap is all ‘lazers and shit,’ but here on the ground I have a wall of bodies here beating down the door and every dumbshit chuck-a-chuck two bits to an NPI is gunning down every open phone line to get me to sign something or read something and then refuses to pay me and meanwhile I have two infant children and people in the hospital, so get this fucking billing out. I can’t just type this into a computer, patients hate that, and I’m dying here.” But as you can see from previous posts, Steve and I have mutually made some progress.
Basically: I’ll trust you that this shit works… if you trust me to give me the shit that actually works now.
This was “why you can’t just throw a nurse at it.” There was another board where I showed that every staff member you add that isn’t a provider themselves adds overhead downstream of the actual event which accumulates exponentially per unit medical provided. The idea here was that it greatly mattered in medicine how easy it was to enter the data into the iPhone because there was an inflection point where technology just required too much attention and the doctor has to revert to paper, and that if you can’t reliably overcome that activation energy of attention, then all your computer systems are worthless.
Haha, this was from when I taught Steve binary; I think because he asked something about “why 128 ASCII characters?” or something like that, so I made him figure it out over the course of the day. This was also a bad day; I remember some real estate agent had tried to sell Steve a “great unfinished property in an upcoming neighborhood” in the cold rain, and over subsequent lunch with the agent at Greenwich Hospital, I told the agent to his face that his property was a “knock down piece of shit” and then listed the construction and neighborhood flaws I had noticed, and then I scolded him for wasting my time. So this hotshot thirty something blueshirt is sitting there while some kid in a t-shirt deconstructs his entire psyche over salads. This agent now tries to avoid me —for some reason— when he tries to pitch Steve other real estate opportunities.
My goal is to build a “solid state” medical office. The idea is that if everything in “one unit doctor” can be represented by a graph of [web addresses] (emails, HTTP requests, ICD, CPT, and medical keyword addressing), and that this “one unit doctor” itself operates at a profit independently, that one could then continue to add doctors to the system without incurring the overhead which currently keeps medicine local while “solving medicine” as we currently know it via graph analysis.
This is hard to do in practice.
I’m posting some of my ideas because frankly: I need more help because I’m tapped on activation energy running both the office and my personal life which, as a preview, here’s how I spent today:
- Woke up in a hotel to “engineering” demanding to know from behind me door if “my floor is damp.” Why am I in a hotel? Yes. Is my floor damp? Not that I noticed, but considering that yesterday the problem was “the fire alarms keep going off because ‘they’re drawing too much power in the conference room’, this was an improvement. I bet you that this hotel costs more per day than a mortgage for a house.
- Waited for an hour to get expensive salad. Tried to connect to Internet.
- Waited for an hour to get a car pickup.
- While in the hotel lobby waiting for said car, had to track down the contact information for a patient on my iPhone internet, call several times from three different phones while in the hotel lobby trying to get past the patient’s family’s screen of “telephone calls are always solicitors and debit collectors”, and inform irate “member of the family who handles persistant phone calls” that the patient had an of [GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM, NOW] to “GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM, NOW.”
- Car took me to other side of town to car rental agency, car agency refused to rent me a car without a credit card because a debit card is not acceptable by “Connecticut law?” The girl at the desk at this dank car depot wanted me to produce paystubs and home utility bills “like, from the Internet or something.” I told her no. Car drove me back to hotel.
- Called another car, $20 cab ride to office; it is now 3pm.
- Started doing work, but then an elderly patient wandered into the office because I forgot to lock the door and I scheduled an appointment for her and talked with her about “life.”
- Locked door.
- Wrote these posts.
So yah, could use a little help… and unless you’re into the unemployed-if-not-now-then-soon mortgage derivative finance blueshirt scene… not really much of a culture here in Connecticut that doesn’t make you want to go all Tyler Durtin all the time.
In software, I’m currently writing authenticated robots to navigate insurer websites for Google App Engine. (I’ll share my code so far at Google I/O for anybody into Python Google App Engine.) This is hard because insurance is not in the business of telling you how to bill them for money. Also, this is hard because of the organic profitability of incompetence and a culture of “typing is for secretaries.” This is also hard because I can’t effectively do data entry and write software to do the data entry at the same time from the back of a cab.
- European Society of Human Genetics urges caution over use of new genetic sequencing techniques - May 16th, 2013
- Human Genetics Project 2013 Explanation behind Starcraft 2's Marine - Video - May 10th, 2013
- VERTEBRAL SUBLUXATIONS AND HUMAN GENETICS - Video - May 10th, 2013
- How Multifactoral Inheritance is involved in Human Genetics and Reproduction - Video - April 20th, 2013
- Supreme Court Tackles Case of Patent Law, Human Genetics - Video - April 20th, 2013
- Biology Lecture 12-2 Inheritance Patterns and Human Genetics: Human Genetics - Video - April 20th, 2013
- Human genetics project 2013, Andy Tran - April 11th, 2013
- TCD Human Genetics 2012 - Genetic Disease - Video - April 9th, 2013
- Center for Human Genetics comes to Cambridge - February 25th, 2013
- Medical Book Summary: Human Genetics by Ricki Lewis - Video - February 6th, 2013
- Medical Book Review: Human Genetics by Ricki Lewis - Video - February 3rd, 2013
- Ch 01 06 Intro to Human Genetics - Video - January 31st, 2013
- Genetics Society of America's GENETICS Journal Highlights for January 2013 - December 29th, 2012
- Cardiovascular Development And Congenital Malformations: Molecular - December 28th, 2012
- The Digital Age (1947 - Present Day) - Charlie Samuels - Video - December 28th, 2012
- C2CAM : 200000 Year Old Annunaki Cities Discovered in Africa - Video - December 25th, 2012
- DNA USA A Genetic Portrait of America (Unabridged) Audiobook - Video - December 25th, 2012
- Neo/SCI Biology Review and Test Preparation Neo REVIEW Software, Individual License - Video - December 25th, 2012
- C2CAM ; Aliens Hybrids, Genetics and Satan - Video - December 25th, 2012
- The Hidden Troll - Video - December 24th, 2012
- I AM THE HIDDEN (The Hidden) S1E2 - Video - December 24th, 2012
- WHERE IS HE? |The Hidden| S1E1 - Video - December 22nd, 2012
- Genes and Resistance - Video - December 22nd, 2012
- Funtage #2 (The hidden) - Video - December 22nd, 2012
- Let's Play Hidden (Live Stream) - Video - December 21st, 2012
- Human Genetics: Parody of Beauty and a Beat - Video - December 20th, 2012
- Human Genetics 13 - Cancer Genetics - Video - December 20th, 2012
- Trade Secrets Revealed: STOCK MARKET GHOST (The Hidden) - Video - December 18th, 2012
- Big biotech buys iconic genetics firm - December 18th, 2012
- DNA USA A Genetic Portrait of America (Unabridged) Audio Book - Video - December 16th, 2012
- Dr. Bryan Sykes On The Today Show - Video - December 14th, 2012
- XBOX GHOST (The HIdden) - Video - December 14th, 2012
- STOCK MARKET GHOST (The Hidden) - Video - December 14th, 2012
- More than 200 genes identified for Crohn's Disease - December 14th, 2012
- 1080p MADNESS | The Hidden Episode 5 - Video - December 13th, 2012
- ROOFTOP MASSACRE (The Hidden) - Video - December 13th, 2012
- pharmiweb.com today archive - December 13th, 2012
- SPOOOKYYY GHOST! (The Hidden) - Video - December 12th, 2012
- Being a little bit Godly - The Hidden - Video - December 12th, 2012
- Lavish Nobel Banquet 2012 in Stockholm City Hall, Sweden - Video - December 12th, 2012
- A Lecture in Genomics and Human Genetics: Understanding Transmissible Cancer in Tasmanian Devils - Video - December 12th, 2012
- Catch up on HeraldNet - December 12th, 2012
- Amgen biotech buying genetics firm - December 12th, 2012
- Amgen biotech purchasing genetics firm - December 12th, 2012
- The Reality of Race - Jared Taylor - Video - December 10th, 2012
- Amgen Agrees To Buy DeCODE Genetics In $415 Mln Deal - Quick Facts - December 10th, 2012
- News Summary: Amgen nabs deCODE Genetics for $415M - December 10th, 2012
- Amgen signs definitive agreement to acquire deCODE Genetics - December 10th, 2012
- Amgen Buys deCODE Genetics For $415M - December 10th, 2012
- Amgen to Buy deCODE Genetics for $415 Million - December 10th, 2012
- Amgen buying deCODE Genetics for $415 million - December 10th, 2012
- 200000 Year Old Annunaki Cities Discovered in Africa - Video - December 9th, 2012
- The Hidden Minecraft: Hidden Noobs - Video - December 9th, 2012
- Game Review w/ Skrilz: The Hidden - Video - December 9th, 2012
- The Hidden | Dance Monkey! - Video - December 9th, 2012
- Genetics Video - Video - December 9th, 2012
- Healthy People Have Hundreds Of Flawed Genes - December 9th, 2012
- DAVID ICKE Human Genetics, The Religion of Death! ALEX JONES [INFOWARS Nightly News] Part 1/4 - Video - December 8th, 2012
- AgOnline Introduction: GEN 340 - Video - December 8th, 2012
- Scientists Reset the Molecular Clock For Human Origins - December 8th, 2012
- Submit Questions to Nobel Laureates and Other Experts about Genetics and Society - December 6th, 2012
- TAU scientists win top prize in American Society of Human Genetics art competition - December 6th, 2012
- 23andMe scientists receive more than $500,000 in National Institutes of Health funding - December 5th, 2012
- 23andMe Scientists Receive More Than $500,000 In Funding from the National Institutes of Health - December 5th, 2012
- University of Chicago professor wins Manpei Suzuki International Prize for diabetes work - December 5th, 2012
- University of Chicago's Graeme Bell Receives International Diabetes Prize - December 5th, 2012
- The Hidden Minecraft: BATTLE OF DEATH ~ W/FaceCam - Video - December 4th, 2012
- BENNY HILLS KILL CAM | Desultory: The Hidden Episode 3 - Video - December 4th, 2012
- Aliens Hybrids, Genetics - December 2nd, 2012
- Supreme Court To Decide If Human Genes Can Be Patented In Myriad Case - December 2nd, 2012
- CLAM CHOWDER IS DOPE (The Hidden) - Video - November 30th, 2012
- Ethic Gov Human Genetic Databases - , Ruth Chadwick - Video - November 30th, 2012
- Bioinformatics For Geneticists: A Bioinformatics Primer For The Analysis Of Genetic Data - Video - November 30th, 2012
- Genes And Future People - Walter Glannon - Video - November 30th, 2012
- MLG MICK JAGGER (The Hidden) - Video - November 30th, 2012
- Main Show Only - Star Visitors - Coast to Coast AM - Video - November 30th, 2012
- Main Show Only - African Ruins and the Annunaki - Coast to Coast AM - Video - November 30th, 2012
- MLG MICK JAGGER (The Hidden)[Free download] - Video - November 30th, 2012
- Human genetic variation recent, varies among populations - November 30th, 2012
- HAUNTED DOJO (The Hidden) - Video - November 28th, 2012