This was from when I tried to “prove” to Steve that “you can’t just write stuff on scraps of paper.”
Basically, the conclusion of this conversation was (as Steve will attest), “your egghead airforce crap is all ‘lazers and shit,’ but here on the ground I have a wall of bodies here beating down the door and every dumbshit chuck-a-chuck two bits to an NPI is gunning down every open phone line to get me to sign something or read something and then refuses to pay me and meanwhile I have two infant children and people in the hospital, so get this fucking billing out. I can’t just type this into a computer, patients hate that, and I’m dying here.” But as you can see from previous posts, Steve and I have mutually made some progress.
Basically: I’ll trust you that this shit works… if you trust me to give me the shit that actually works now.
This was “why you can’t just throw a nurse at it.” There was another board where I showed that every staff member you add that isn’t a provider themselves adds overhead downstream of the actual event which accumulates exponentially per unit medical provided. The idea here was that it greatly mattered in medicine how easy it was to enter the data into the iPhone because there was an inflection point where technology just required too much attention and the doctor has to revert to paper, and that if you can’t reliably overcome that activation energy of attention, then all your computer systems are worthless.
Haha, this was from when I taught Steve binary; I think because he asked something about “why 128 ASCII characters?” or something like that, so I made him figure it out over the course of the day. This was also a bad day; I remember some real estate agent had tried to sell Steve a “great unfinished property in an upcoming neighborhood” in the cold rain, and over subsequent lunch with the agent at Greenwich Hospital, I told the agent to his face that his property was a “knock down piece of shit” and then listed the construction and neighborhood flaws I had noticed, and then I scolded him for wasting my time. So this hotshot thirty something blueshirt is sitting there while some kid in a t-shirt deconstructs his entire psyche over salads. This agent now tries to avoid me —for some reason— when he tries to pitch Steve other real estate opportunities.
My goal is to build a “solid state” medical office. The idea is that if everything in “one unit doctor” can be represented by a graph of [web addresses] (emails, HTTP requests, ICD, CPT, and medical keyword addressing), and that this “one unit doctor” itself operates at a profit independently, that one could then continue to add doctors to the system without incurring the overhead which currently keeps medicine local while “solving medicine” as we currently know it via graph analysis.
This is hard to do in practice.
I’m posting some of my ideas because frankly: I need more help because I’m tapped on activation energy running both the office and my personal life which, as a preview, here’s how I spent today:
- Woke up in a hotel to “engineering” demanding to know from behind me door if “my floor is damp.” Why am I in a hotel? Yes. Is my floor damp? Not that I noticed, but considering that yesterday the problem was “the fire alarms keep going off because ‘they’re drawing too much power in the conference room’, this was an improvement. I bet you that this hotel costs more per day than a mortgage for a house.
- Waited for an hour to get expensive salad. Tried to connect to Internet.
- Waited for an hour to get a car pickup.
- While in the hotel lobby waiting for said car, had to track down the contact information for a patient on my iPhone internet, call several times from three different phones while in the hotel lobby trying to get past the patient’s family’s screen of “telephone calls are always solicitors and debit collectors”, and inform irate “member of the family who handles persistant phone calls” that the patient had an INR of [GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM, NOW] to “GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM, NOW.”
- Car took me to other side of town to car rental agency, car agency refused to rent me a car without a credit card because a debit card is not acceptable by “Connecticut law?” The girl at the desk at this dank car depot wanted me to produce paystubs and home utility bills “like, from the Internet or something.” I told her no. Car drove me back to hotel.
- Called another car, $20 cab ride to office; it is now 3pm.
- Started doing work, but then an elderly patient wandered into the office because I forgot to lock the door and I scheduled an appointment for her and talked with her about “life.”
- Locked door.
- Wrote these posts.
So yah, could use a little help… and unless you’re into the unemployed-if-not-now-then-soon mortgage derivative finance blueshirt scene… not really much of a culture here in Connecticut that doesn’t make you want to go all Tyler Durtin all the time.
In software, I’m currently writing authenticated robots to navigate insurer websites for Google App Engine. (I’ll share my code so far at Google I/O for anybody into Python Google App Engine.) This is hard because insurance is not in the business of telling you how to bill them for money. Also, this is hard because of the organic profitability of incompetence and a culture of “typing is for secretaries.” This is also hard because I can’t effectively do data entry and write software to do the data entry at the same time from the back of a cab.
Incoming Post Search Feeds:
Modern marvels regenerative medicine
nasa nibiru 10 11 2013
techno fruhstuck correspondence heart beat
latest indian mision mars
liberty generator tube
ppsspp monster hunter freedom unite tablet
futurists physical therapy
petru aurelian simionescu 2013
- Disease, Evolution, Neurology, and Drugs: Fruit Fly Research Continues to Teach Us About Human Biology - February 27th, 2015
- Human evolution questioned: 'Big brain gene found humans, not chimps' - February 27th, 2015
- 'Big Brain' Gene Found in Humans, Not Chimps - February 27th, 2015
- 'Big Brain' Gene Found in Humans, But Not in Chimps - February 27th, 2015
- Symposium: Genetics role in mental illness key to better treatments - February 27th, 2015
- NewLink Genetics Corporation Provides Operational Update and Reports Fourth Quarter and Year End 2014 Financial Results - February 27th, 2015
- Marfan syndrome: medical care and research update focus of monthly genetic series - February 27th, 2015
- Menu 14 Review - Human Genetics - Video - February 26th, 2015
- LifeMap Sciences Partners with Toldot Genetics to Support Next Generation Sequencing Variant Analysis Commercialization - February 25th, 2015
- Human DNA gives mice bigger brains - February 24th, 2015
- Genetics guru to lecture in Chennai - February 23rd, 2015
- Gene making human brains bigger found - February 23rd, 2015
- Why is the Human Genome project so important to South Africa? - Video - February 22nd, 2015
- AMP Delivers Oral Comments at FDA Workshop on Optimizing Regulatory Oversight of Next Generation Sequencing Diagnostic ... - February 21st, 2015
- Debra Silver comments: Scientists pinpoint a gene regulator that makes human brains bigger - February 21st, 2015
- Scientists pinpoint a gene regulator that makes human brains bigger - February 20th, 2015
- Ames company aids in Ebola vaccine candidate - February 20th, 2015
- What are the benefits to society of the Human Genome Project? - Video - February 19th, 2015
- NewLink Genetics Corporation Announces Clinical Development Milestone Achieved With Merck for Ebola Vaccine Candidate - February 19th, 2015
- Evolving a Bigger Brain With Human DNA - February 19th, 2015
- 3 Parent Babies Coming Soon : UK to Make Babies from DNA of Three People [Designer Babies: VIRAL] - Video - February 18th, 2015
- Scientists unveil 'epigenome roadmap' genetic code - February 18th, 2015
- Scientists Unveil Map of Human Epigenomes in Effort to Fight Disease - February 18th, 2015
- Most Comprehensive Map of Human Epigenomes Is Unveiled - February 18th, 2015
- Download Human Genetics PDF - Video - February 16th, 2015
- Beryllium to Present at the 2015 Molecular Medicine Tri-Conference - February 16th, 2015
- Pubic Microbes Finger Sex Offenders - February 16th, 2015
- Human Genetics: 9780073525365: Medicine & Health Science ... - February 15th, 2015
- Richard Myers of Hudsonalpha talks genetics and genomics - February 15th, 2015
- Jenny Taylor: Personalised Medicine - Video - February 14th, 2015
- Human Genetics and Model Organisms - Video - February 14th, 2015
- About Biology: Human Anatomy, Genetics, and Quizzes - February 14th, 2015
- Human genome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - February 14th, 2015
- Valentine's Science: How Mouth Germs Shape Attraction - February 14th, 2015
- R2d2 Beats Mendel: Scientists Discover Selfish Gene That Breaks Long-Held Law of Genetic Inheritance - February 14th, 2015
- The Journal of Molecular Diagnostics Publishes Special Article Presenting the Laboratory Perspective of Incidental ... - February 12th, 2015
- Novavax starts Ebola vaccine trial in humans - February 12th, 2015
- The Hidden with Angle HD - Video - February 11th, 2015
- Erratum: Human intracellular ISG15 prevents interferon-/ over-amplification and auto-inflammation - February 11th, 2015
- 2011 Houston Heat Wave Led to Significant Rise in Emergency Department Visits - February 11th, 2015
- Wylie Burke, MD, PhD - Video - February 10th, 2015
- The Genographic Project by National Geographic - Human ... - February 10th, 2015
- David Icke 2015 | Human Genetics, The Religion of Death - Video - February 8th, 2015
- Pathophysiology & Treatment of Medial Vascular Calcification - Video - February 7th, 2015
- Journals Home - University of Chicago Press - February 7th, 2015
- Human - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - February 7th, 2015
- Human News : Discovery News - February 7th, 2015
- Myriad Genetics to Present at the 2015 Leerink Global Healthcare Conference - February 7th, 2015
- Lawmakers approve technique to allow three people make babies - February 7th, 2015
- Synopsis | Studyguide For Human Genetics By 5Th Ed Lewis 5Th Ed - Video - February 5th, 2015
- Ian Tomlinson: Cancer Predisposition and Evolution - Video - February 5th, 2015
- Britain's parliament allows human genome manipulation for first time - February 4th, 2015
- 23andMe Finds Genes for Motion Sickness - February 4th, 2015
- The Scientist: Professor Amy Williams Maps Genes, Tracks Risk of Disease - February 4th, 2015
- Feeling Woozy? 23AndMe Releases First-Ever Genome-Wide Study Of Motion Sickness - February 4th, 2015
- 23andMe Study Uncovers the Genetics of Motion Sickness - February 3rd, 2015
- Personalized Medicine to Reduce Adverse Drug Outcomes in People with Mental Illness - February 3rd, 2015
- Genetic switch regulates transcription and replication in human mitochondria - February 2nd, 2015
- Retroviruses reveal mammalian genetics - February 2nd, 2015
- MPs to vote on '3-parent' babies - February 2nd, 2015
- New software analyzes human genomes faster than other available technologies - January 31st, 2015
- Bringing Genetics and Epigenetics to the Fetal-Adult Hemoglobin Switch - Video - January 30th, 2015
- Keith Yamamoto, PhD - Video - January 30th, 2015
- Michael Blum, MD - Video - January 30th, 2015
- Robert Nussbaum, MD - Video - January 30th, 2015
- Sam Hawgood, MBBS - Video - January 30th, 2015
- Sorena Nadaf, MS, MMI - Video - January 30th, 2015
- Patent litigation over human gene breast cancer testing is ending - January 30th, 2015
- Josh Denny - Video - January 28th, 2015
- Wellcome Trust builds 1,728-core grid for DNA analysis - January 28th, 2015
- Ancient Human Fossil Could Be New Primitive Species - January 28th, 2015
- Researchers pinpoint two genes that trigger severest form of ovarian cancer - January 28th, 2015
- Modern languages show no trace of our African origins - January 27th, 2015
- Intrexon to Acquire Remaining Stake in Exemplar Genetics - January 26th, 2015
- Inaugural Allen Distinguished Investigator Life Science Symposium - January 26th, 2015
- Tool-making may have made language genes more useful - January 26th, 2015
- Why Wolves Became Dogs - January 26th, 2015
- Environment may trump genetics over immune system - January 25th, 2015
- Introduction to Human Genetics- for medical students - Video - January 24th, 2015
- Researchers discover genetic links to size of brain structures - January 24th, 2015