The definition of virtual reality comes, naturally, from the definitions for both virtual and reality. The definition of virtual is near and reality is what we experience as human beings. So the term virtual reality basically means near-reality. This could, of course, mean anything but it usually refers to a specific type of reality emulation.
We know the world through our senses and perception systems. In school we all learned that we have five senses: taste, touch, smell, sight and hearing. These are however only our most obvious sense organs. The truth is that humans have many more senses than this, such as a sense of balance for example. These other sensory inputs, plus some special processing of sensory information by our brains ensures that we have a rich flow of information from the environment to our minds.
Everything that we know about our reality comes by way of our senses. In other words, our entire experience of reality is simply a combination of sensory information and our brains sense-making mechanisms for that information. It stands to reason then, that if you can present your senses with made-up information, your perception of reality would also change in response to it. You would be presented with a version of reality that isnt really there, but from your perspective it would be perceived as real. Something we would refer to as a virtual reality.
So, in summary, virtual reality entails presenting our senses with a computer generated virtual environment that we can explore in some fashion.
Answering what is virtual reality in technical terms is straight-forward. Virtual reality is the term used to describe a three-dimensional, computer generated environment which can be explored and interacted with by a person. That person becomes part of this virtual world or is immersed within this environment and whilst there, is able to manipulate objects or perform a series of actions.
Although we talk about a few historical early forms of virtual reality elsewhere on the site, today virtual reality is usually implemented using computer technology. There are a range of systems that are used for this purpose, such as headsets, omni-directional treadmills and special gloves. These are used to actually stimulate our senses together in order to create the illusion of reality.
This is more difficult than it sounds, since our senses and brains are evolved to provide us with a finely synchronised and mediated experience. If anything is even a little off we can usually tell. This is where youll hear terms such asimmersiveness and realism enter the conversation. These issues that divide convincing or enjoyable virtual reality experiences from jarring or unpleasant ones are partly technical and partly conceptual. Virtual reality technology needs to take our physiology into account. For example, the human visual field does not look like a video frame. We have (more or less) 180 degrees of vision and although you are not always consciously aware of your peripheral vision, if it were gone youd notice. Similarly when what your eyes and the vestibular system in your ears tell you are in conflict it can cause motion sickness. Which is what happens to some people on boats or when they read while in a car.
If an implementation of virtual reality manages to get the combination of hardware, software and sensory synchronicity just right it achieves something known as a sense of presence. Where the subject really feels like they are present in that environment.
This may seems like a lot of effort, and it is! What makes the development of virtual reality worthwhile? The potential entertainment value is clear. Immersive films and video games are good examples. The entertainment industry is after all a multi-billion dollar one and consumers are always keen on novelty. Virtual reality has many other, more serious, applications as well.
There are a wide variety of applications for virtual reality which include:
Virtual reality can lead to new and exciting discoveries in these areas which impact upon our day to day lives.
Wherever it is too dangerous, expensive or impractical to do something in reality, virtual reality is the answer. From trainee fighter pilots to medical applications trainee surgeons, virtual reality allows us to take virtual risks in order to gain real world experience. As the cost of virtual reality goes down and it becomes more mainstream you can expect more serious uses, such as education or productivity applications, to come to the fore. Virtual reality and its cousin augmented reality could substantively change the way we interface with our digital technologies. Continuing the trend of humanising our technology.
There are many different types of virtual reality systems but they all share the same characteristics such as the ability to allow the person to view three-dimensional images. These images appear life-sized to the person.
Plus they change as the person moves around their environment which corresponds with the change in their field of vision. The aim is for a seamless join between the persons head and eye movements and the appropriate response, e.g. change in perception. This ensures that the virtual environment is both realistic and enjoyable.
A virtual environment should provide the appropriate responses in real time- as the person explores their surroundings. The problems arise when there is a delay between the persons actions and system response or latency which then disrupts their experience. The person becomes aware that they are in an artificial environment and adjusts their behaviour accordingly which results in a stilted, mechanical form of interaction.
The aim is for a natural, free-flowing form of interaction which will result in a memorable experience.
Virtual reality is the creation of a virtual environment presented to our senses in such a way that we experience it as if we were really there. It uses a host of technologies to achieve this goal and is a technically complex feat that has to account for our perception and cognition. It has both entertainment and serious uses. The technology is becoming cheaper and more widespread. We can expect to see many more innovative uses for the technology in the future and perhaps a fundamental way in which we communicate and work thanks to the possibilities of virtual reality.
The rest is here:
- Virtual Reality in Education | SNHU - Southern New Hampshire University - September 8th, 2020
- Minecraft is coming to PlayStation VR as a free upgrade later this month - The Verge - September 8th, 2020
- Can Virtual Reality Help Us Connect Better During The Pandemic? - Forbes - September 8th, 2020
- Virtual Reality Market to Reach USD 57.55 Billion by 2027; Rising Employment of 5G Technologies to Augment Growth, states Fortune Business Insights -... - September 8th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impacts: Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR) Market Will Accelerate at a CAGR of Over 35% Through 2020-2024 | The Increasing... - September 8th, 2020
- Japan uses virtual reality to improve physical, cognitive functions - BSA bureau - September 8th, 2020
- Virtual reality in 3 dimensions the Metaverse arrives - Cyprus Mail - September 8th, 2020
- Latest Study explores the Virtual Reality (VR) in Healthcare Market Witness Highest Growth in near future - AlgosOnline - September 8th, 2020
- Virtual reality a rising force in the global healthcare industry - The Straits Times - September 8th, 2020
- As Burning Man Goes Virtual, Organizers Try To Capture The Communal Aspect - NPR - September 8th, 2020
- Rescape raise over 350k through Crowdcube for virtual reality in healthcare - Wales247 - September 8th, 2020
- Virtual Reality in Education Market 2020 Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Growth, Sales, Opportunities, Analysis and Forecast To 2027 - The Daily... - September 8th, 2020
- Fidelity Investments Pilots Immersive, Interactive Virtual Reality Onboarding for 140+ Employees - Yahoo Finance - September 8th, 2020
- Here's how to participate in the virtual Burning Man, or 'Multiverse' - Reno Gazette Journal - September 8th, 2020
- Tom Brady 'falling in love' with Bucs' virtual reality system to get extra reps - Yahoo Sports - September 8th, 2020
- Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality Component Market Sales Channel Analysis: (Impact of covid-19) by Competitive Industry Overview and Futuristic... - September 8th, 2020
- 7 Takeaways from Flight Plan Season 3 Episode 5: Navigating Training Camp in A Virtual Reality - Revenge of the Birds - September 8th, 2020
- Ryot's Mark Melling explains how to master the challenges of mixed reality - The Drum - September 8th, 2020
- HP and Valve will launch new virtual reality glasses - The Bulletin Time - September 8th, 2020
- Virtual Reality in Healthcare Market analyzes the impact followed by restraints and opportunities and projected developments (2020-2027) - Bulletin... - September 8th, 2020
- Augmented and Virtual Reality Content and Application Market: Global Industry Analysis and Opportunity Assessment 2020-2025 - AlgosOnline - September 8th, 2020
- Discover Size of Virtual Reality in Healthcare Market 2020 Research Report and Industry Forecast till 2026 - Galus Australis - September 8th, 2020
- Global Virtual Reality (VR) in Healthcare Market Exhibits Stunning Growth Potentials | Generate Massive Revenue till 2027 - Scientect - September 8th, 2020
- Virtual Reality in Retail Market Size by Top Leading Key Players, Various Important Aspects of COVID 19 Outbreak, Growth Opportunities, Trends,... - September 8th, 2020
- The technological advances that will take immersive virtual experiences to the next level - AV Magazine - August 10th, 2020
- Virtual Reality: School Board Opts for Online Instruction - The Crozet Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- These Motorised Shoes Could Be the Key to Making Virtual Reality Fully Immersive - Gizmodo UK - August 10th, 2020
- Virtual reality based training for tram drivers | Urban news - Railway Gazette International - August 10th, 2020
- A new virtual reality is reshaping the world - Gulf News - August 10th, 2020
- Global Education Thought Leader and Game Expert Predicts Greater Opportunities for Games and Virtual Reality in Immersive Learning Environments - PR... - August 10th, 2020
- Could We Force the Universe to Crash? - Scientific American - August 10th, 2020
- Transforming training with virtual reality - IT PRO - August 10th, 2020
- Virtual Reality (VR) Headsets Market - Impact Of Covid-19 And Benchmarking. - Market Research Posts - August 10th, 2020
- Augmented Reality (AR) & Virtual Reality (VR) in Healthcare Sales Market 2020 Size by Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook,... - August 10th, 2020
- Virtual Reality Employee Training: Tips To Limit Costs - The Union Journal - August 10th, 2020
- Virtual Reality (VR) Software Market Size, Global Future Trend, Segmentation, Business Growth, Top Key Players, Opportunities and Forecast to 2027 -... - August 10th, 2020
- Augmented Reality (AR) & Virtual Reality (VR) in Healthcare Industry Market Opportunity, Demand, recent trends, Major Driving Factors and Business... - August 10th, 2020
- 3D virtual reality building inspections developed to aid remote working during the pandemic - HeraldScotland - August 10th, 2020
- Investment to support treatment of patients using virtual reality - Wales247 - August 10th, 2020
- E-Learning Virtual Reality Market 2020 Size by Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecast to 2027... - August 10th, 2020
- Virtual Reality in Automotive Market 2026 by Scope, Size, Opportunities and Growth Rate analysis - Fresno Observer - August 10th, 2020
- 10 beauty brands that let you try before you buy with virtual swatching tools - VOGUE India - August 10th, 2020
- Virtual Reality(VR) For Healthcare Market 2020 Size by Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecast... - August 10th, 2020
- How Covid-19 Impact Could Open The Door For Virtual Reality Content Creation Market. - Owned - August 10th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impacts: Virtual Reality Market in Education Sector will Accelerate at a CAGR of over 59% through 2020-2024 | Affordability of VR Gear to... - August 8th, 2020
- Games, tours and educational content; Visions VR debuts Virtual Reality in Port Clinton - The Beacon - August 8th, 2020
- Sunovion partners with Nashville firm for virtual reality therapeutics - Worcester Business Journal - August 8th, 2020
- The Amazing Things We Can Do with Virtual and Augmented Reality - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - August 8th, 2020
- Virtual Reality Headsets Are Now Changing The Way People Buy Homes - TheTravel - August 8th, 2020
- S.N.O.T: 8/8/2020 - Battle Red Blog - August 8th, 2020
- Vader Immortal Coming to PSVR on August 25 - Virtual Reality Times - August 8th, 2020
- Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality in Retail Industry Market Trends Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Shares, Growth Opportunities, Statistics &... - August 8th, 2020
- Virtual Reality (VR) in Gaming Industry Market to 2025: Growth Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Applications - AlgosOnline - August 8th, 2020
- 5G and Virtual Reality Market to Witness the Highest Growth Globally in Coming Years 2020-2025 - Galus Australis - August 8th, 2020
- ARES Security Adds Virtual Training Modules to the AVERT Suite of Security Software Solutions - PRNewswire - August 8th, 2020
- Researchers at U of T Mississauga tap immersive technologies to improve palliative care - News@UofT - August 8th, 2020
- Fashion Industry Explores Virtual Reality in Post-Covid World - TechRound - August 7th, 2020
- Virtual reality tours capturing Indigenous tourism sites and facilities - TimminsToday - August 7th, 2020
- Companies are adopting AR and VR to adapt to the COVID-19 pandemic - TechRepublic - August 7th, 2020
- COVID-19 IMPACT ON VIRTUAL REALITY IN DIAGNOSTICS MARKET TO 2020-2027 WITH TOP KEY PLAYERS LIKE CAE HEALTHCARE, GE HEALTHCARE, VIRTUAL REALITIES LTD,... - August 7th, 2020
- Virtual Reality In Healthcare Market Growth, Trends And Forecast To 2027 - Market Research Posts - August 7th, 2020
- Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality Market Analysis, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2025 - CueReport - August 7th, 2020
- Global Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality in Aerospace Market 2020 (Covid-19 Outbreak) Latest Trends,Technology Advancement and Demand Forecast to... - August 7th, 2020
- Frostpoint brings Multiplayer Shooter Experience to Virtual Reality - mxdwn.com - August 7th, 2020
- Virtual Reality Cardboard Market Size 2020: Analysis, Share, Sales, Growth, Revenue, Type, Application & Forecast To 2026 - Market Research Posts - August 7th, 2020
- Polyarc Vows to Expand From Virtual Reality to Augmented Reality Games By Raising $9 Million Funds - Tech Times - August 7th, 2020
- Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality (AR and VR) Market Size | Global Industry - News by aeresearch - August 7th, 2020
- Where Virtual and Augmented Reality Stand in 2020 - Variety - August 6th, 2020
- Curiious and Inner-City Arts Recognised for Game-Changing Virtual Reality Education Platform - PRWire - August 6th, 2020
- Inception review the virtual reinvention of virtual reality - The Guardian - August 6th, 2020
- 5 Best virtual reality headsets 2020 from Oculus Rift S and Valve Index to PS4 VR - The Sun - August 6th, 2020
- Attend Virtual Franchise Trade Shows Thursday, August 6th and Thursday, August 20th From Your Desk - PRNewswire - August 6th, 2020
- Jin Air to introduce virtual reality headsets for IFE in 2H2020 | CAPA - CAPA - Centre for Aviation - August 6th, 2020
- FeetSaber Mod Transforms Beat Saber Into 'Dance Dance Revolution' - Virtual Reality Times - August 6th, 2020
- Virtual Reality Content Creation Market Size, Historical Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Bulletin Line - August 6th, 2020
- How about using a digital avatar on a virtual campus? | - University Business - August 6th, 2020
- These Motorised Shoes Could Be the Key to Making Virtual Reality Fully Immersive - Gizmodo Australia - August 6th, 2020
- Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality in Retail Industry Market Comprehensive An - GroundAlerts.com - August 6th, 2020
- Yahoo Sports partners with NBA to bring the Disney bubble to fans in virtual reality - Yahoo Sports - August 6th, 2020
- Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality Market 2020 2025: Business Trends, COVID 19 Outbreak, Emerging Technologies, Size, Segments and Industry... - August 6th, 2020