To print this article, all you need is to be registered or login on Mondaq.com.
Industrialization and Digitization has changed the wayhumans look at life. The world is moving at a technological pacewherein with every passing minute an invention is done, and a lotof these inventions are beyond human imagination. One suchtechnology is Artificial Intelligence or AI as it is popularlyknown. AI has brought extensive changes around the world. AI is aterm for simulated intelligence in machines.1
According to the father of Artificial Intelligence, JohnMcCarthy, it is 'The science and engineering of makingintelligent machines, especially intelligent computerprograms'.2 In simple words, it is anythingthat can learn and perform functions on its own without anyintervention by humans. AI is the ability of simulated machines tomimic human thoughts like problem solving and learning. Thesemachines also understand human languages, speech and are skilled instrategic thinking.
Artificial Intelligence is a part of our daily lives. Siri,Alexa, Google Maps, Uber, Turnitin and other machine learningapplications are all products of AI. AI is touted as the future ofmankind. AI has already started making its mark in plethora offields and industries like healthcare, education, transportation,agriculture and many more.
To embrace this new wave called AI, India has made a modestbeginning this year by devoting a huge amount of money. In hisBudget Presentation on February 1, finance minister Arun Jaitleyannounced a national programme on AI to be spearheaded by NitiAayog.3 Approximately USD 480 million dollars have beendedicated to artificial intelligence, machine learning and IoT thisyear.4 Many industries and institutions are taking aleap in the field of AI. One of the most robust inventions arecoming in the field of health care, which is utilizing AI incollecting, storing, normalizing, and tracing data. From smartphoneand health tracker revolutions, it has become possible for a userto analyze all relevant data or simply to be up-to-date abouthis/her health.
Currently, a low cost portable home-based rehabilitationsolution device is produced which helps patient exercise forflexion and extension of wrist and fingers. The device has beentested on 20 stroke patients in All India Institute of MedicalSciences (AIIMS), Delhi and can also be combined with the brainstimulation device.
Moreover, institutions like Indian Institute of Technology(IIT), Delhi have developed many innovations based on AI rangingfrom an "intelligent" prosthetic limb and anon-hazardous, longlasting "flow battery" to a new typeof loom and technology to convert agriculture waste into pulp thatsaves 40% water and energy than usual. Further, Centre forBiomedical Engineering has developed a new Intelligent ArtificialLeg for people who have lost their legs above the knee. Theseartificial devices are cheap and durable and uses smart sensingtechnology in the shoes to adapt to the movement of theindividual.
As they say every coin has two sides. With AI benefits comescertain challenges that can be a major threat to the mankind. Forexample, the security of the large amounts of data that AI wouldstore. Another major issue that stands is the privacy of thepersonal data that AI would gather.
No doubt that artificial intelligence has unimaginablepotential. The next few decades would definitely mark a shift frommachine intelligence to artificial superintelligence and set fortha new era in which a computer's cognitive ability will besuperior to human's. Nevertheless, along with the new AIinventions, we as a country also need to invest in strong step tofight the challenges that this necessary devil would bring alongit.
3 Economic Times report available here
The content of this article is intended to provide a generalguide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be soughtabout your specific circumstances.
POPULAR ARTICLES ON: Technology from India
Vaish Associates Advocates
Blockchain Technology is one of the latest technologies in the era of technology. Technology which carries the potential to change the outlook of the way things are done till now and all the orthodox methods which our human brain is habitual to.
Singh & Associates
With the popularization of internet technologies, virtual currency called cryptocurrency has also been invented. A popular form of cryptocurrency is bitcoin.
Ernst & Young
"Success in creating AI would be the biggest event in human history. Unfortunately, it might also be the last, unless we learn how to avoid the risks." -- Stephen Hawking.
The use of cryptocurrency has always been a point of contention with its legality being a mystery to public.
- Can Apocalypse Be Dealt With? The Diplomat - The Diplomat - October 19th, 2020
- Thirty books to help us understand the world in 2020 - The Guardian - October 19th, 2020
- These Are The 10 Highest-Paid Actresses Of 2020 - Marie Claire - October 19th, 2020
- Forbes 10 highest-paid actresses of 2020 have been revealed - The Independent - October 10th, 2020
- Hulk Just Exploded Into Bits and Pieces in The Immortal Hulk #35 - Screen Rant - August 10th, 2020
- Should You Get Down (And Occasionally Dirty) With Star Trek: Lower Decks? - PRIMETIMER - August 7th, 2020
- The Era Of Autonomous Army Bots is Here - Forbes - August 6th, 2020
- AI Could Overtake Humans in 5 Years, Says Elon Musk, Whose 'Top Concern' is Google-Owned DeepMind - International Business Times, Singapore Edition - August 5th, 2020
- Superintelligence - Wikipedia - July 31st, 2020
- Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies by Nick Bostrom - July 31st, 2020
- AI governance and the future of humanity with the Rockefeller Foundations senior VP of innovation - The Sociable - July 31st, 2020
- neXt Trailer: It's Not Paranoia If The Threat Is Real - Bleeding Cool News - July 27th, 2020
- The Famous AI Turing Test Put In Reverse And Upside-Down, Plus Implications For Self-Driving Cars - Forbes - July 21st, 2020
- Scoop: Coming Up on a Rebroadcast of MATCH GAME on ABC - Sunday, July 26, 2020 - Broadway World - July 17th, 2020
- Consciousness Existing Beyond Matter, Or in the Central Nervous System as an Afterthought of Nature? - The Daily Galaxy --Great Discoveries Channel - July 17th, 2020
- If you can't beat 'em, join 'em Elon Musk tweets out the mission statement for his AI-brain-chip Neuralink - Business Insider India - July 13th, 2020
- The Shadow of Progress - Merion West - July 13th, 2020
- Josiah Henson: the forgotten story in the history of slavery - The Guardian - June 21st, 2020
- The world's best virology lab isn't where you think - Spectator.co.uk - April 3rd, 2020
- Is Artificial Intelligence (AI) A Threat To Humans? - Forbes - March 4th, 2020
- Elon Musk dings Bill Gates and says their conversations were underwhelming, after the Microsoft billionaire buys an electric Porsche - Pulse Nigeria - February 18th, 2020
- Thinking Beyond Flesh and Bones with AI - Ghana Latest Football News, Live Scores, Results - Ghanasoccernet.com - February 18th, 2020
- Liquid metal tendons could give robots the ability to heal themselves - Digital Trends - December 21st, 2019
- NIU expert: 4 leaps in technology to expect in the 2020s | NIU - NIU Newsroom - December 21st, 2019
- Playing Tetris Shows That True AI Is Impossible - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - December 21st, 2019
- AI R&D is booming, but general intelligence is still out of reach - The Verge - December 18th, 2019
- Doubting The AI Mystics: Dramatic Predictions About AI Obscure Its Concrete Benefits - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- Melissa McCarthy And Ben Falcone Have Decided To Release 'Superintelligence' Via HBO Max Ins - Science Fiction - October 24th, 2019
- Melissa McCarthy & Director Ben Falcone On Choosing HBO Max Bow Instead Of WB Xmas Release For Superintelligence - Deadline - October 24th, 2019
- AMC Is Still In the Theater Business, But VOD Is a Funny Way of Showing It - IndieWire - October 24th, 2019
- Idiot Box: HBO Max joins the flood of streaming services - Weekly Alibi - October 24th, 2019
- Here's How to Watch Watchmen, HBOs Next Game of Thrones - Cosmopolitan - October 24th, 2019
- The Best Artificial Intelligence Books you Need to Read Today - Edgy Labs - October 22nd, 2019
- Aquinas' Fifth Way: The Proof from Specification - Discovery Institute - October 22nd, 2019
- Elon Musk warns 'advanced A.I.' will soon manipulate social media - Big Think - October 1st, 2019
- Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies - Wikipedia - May 3rd, 2019
- Global Risks Report 2017 - Reports - World Economic Forum - March 6th, 2019
- Superintelligence - Hardcover - Nick Bostrom - Oxford ... - March 6th, 2019
- The Artificial Intelligence Revolution: Part 1 - Wait But Why - November 3rd, 2018
- Superintelligence: From Chapter Eight of Films from the ... - October 11th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies ... - August 18th, 2018
- Superintelligence survey - Future of Life Institute - June 23rd, 2018
- Artificial Superintelligence: The Coming Revolution ... - June 3rd, 2018
- Steam Workshop :: Superintelligence - February 15th, 2018
- Steam Workshop :: Superintelligence (BNW) - February 15th, 2018
- The AI Revolution: The Road to Superintelligence | Inverse - August 25th, 2017
- Friendly artificial intelligence - Wikipedia - August 25th, 2017
- Being human in the age of artificial intelligence - Science Weekly podcast - The Guardian - August 25th, 2017
- Why won't everyone listen to Elon Musk about the robot apocalypse? - Ladders - August 25th, 2017
- Infographic: Visualizing the Massive $15.7 Trillion Impact of AI - Visual Capitalist (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- The Musk/Zuckerberg Dustup Represents a Growing Schism in AI - Motherboard - August 4th, 2017
- The end of humanity as we know it is 'coming in 2045' and Google is preparing for it - Metro - July 27th, 2017
- Will we be wiped out by machine overlords? Maybe we need a ... - PBS NewsHour - July 22nd, 2017
- Giving Up the Fags: A Self-Reflexive Speech on Critical Auto-ethnography About the Shame of Growing up Gay/Sexual ... - The Good Men Project (blog) - July 22nd, 2017
- AI researcher: Why should a superintelligence keep us around? - TNW - July 18th, 2017
- What an artificial intelligence researcher fears about AI - Huron Daily ... - Huron Daily Tribune - July 16th, 2017
- Integrating disciplines 'key to dealing with digital revolution' | Times ... - Times Higher Education (THE) - July 4th, 2017
- No need to fear Artificial Intelligence - Livemint - Livemint - June 30th, 2017
- Effective Altruism Says You Can Save the Future by Making Money - Motherboard - June 20th, 2017
- The bots are coming - The New Indian Express - June 20th, 2017
- U.S. Navy reaches out to gamers to troubleshoot post ... - June 18th, 2017
- Facebook Chatbots Spontaneously Invent Their Own Non-Human ... - Interesting Engineering - June 17th, 2017
- Cars 3 gets back to what made the franchise adequate - Vox - June 13th, 2017
- Using AI to unlock human potential - EJ Insight - June 9th, 2017
- Are You Ready for the AI Revolution and the Rise of Superintelligence? - TrendinTech - June 7th, 2017
- A reply to Wait But Why on machine superintelligence - June 6th, 2017
- The AI Revolution: The Road to Superintelligence (PDF) - June 6th, 2017
- How humans will lose control of artificial intelligence - The Week Magazine - April 8th, 2017
- The Nonparametric Intuition: Superintelligence and Design Methodology - Lifeboat Foundation (blog) - April 8th, 2017
- Who is afraid of AI? - The Hindu - April 8th, 2017
- The AI debate must stay grounded in reality - Prospect - March 8th, 2017
- Superintelligence | Guardian Bookshop - March 7th, 2017
- Supersentience - March 7th, 2017
- Horst Simon to Present Supercomputers and Superintelligence at PASC17 in Lugano - insideHPC - March 3rd, 2017
- Softbank CEO: The Singularity Will Happen by 2047 - Futurism - March 2nd, 2017
- Disruptive by Design: Siri, Tell Me a Joke. No, Not That One. - Signal Magazine - March 2nd, 2017
- Tech Leaders Raise Concern About the Dangers of AI - iDrop News - March 2nd, 2017
- Superintelligent AI explains Softbank's push to raise a $100BN ... - TechCrunch - February 28th, 2017
- Building A 'Collective Superintelligence' For Doctors And Patients Around The World - Forbes - February 28th, 2017
- Don't Fear Superintelligent AICCT News - CCT News - February 27th, 2017