When Elon Musk is not the billionaire CEO running three companies, he has a side hustle as our greatest living prophet of the upcoming war between humans and machines.
In his latest public testimony about the dark future that awaits us all, Musk urged the United Nations to ban artificially intelligent killer robots. And he and other fellow prophets emphasized that we have no time. No time.
In an open letterto the U.N., Musk, along with 115 other experts in robotics, co-signed a grim future where artificial superintelligence would lead to lethal autonomous weapons that would bring the third revolution in warfare.
And to add some urgency to the matter, the letter said that this future wasnt a distant science fiction, it was a near and present danger.
Once developed, they will permit armed conflict to be fought at a scale greater than ever, and at timescales faster than humans can comprehend, the letter states. We do not have long to act. Once this Pandoras box is opened, it will be hard to close.
Although lethal autonomous weapons are not mainstream yet, they do already exist. Samsungs SGR-A1 sentry robot is reportedly used by the South Korean army to monitor the Korean Demilitarized Zone with guns capable of autonomous firing.Taranis, an unmanned combat air vehicle, is being developed by the U.K. So autonomous weapons are already here. It remains to be seen, however, if this brings a new World War.
This is not the first time Musk has sounded the alarm on machines taking over. Heres a look at all the ways Musk has tried to convince humanity of its impending doom.
And he hasnt been mild in his warnings. If youre going to get people to pay attention to your robot visions, you need to raise the stakes.
Thats what Musk did when he toldMassachusetts Institute of Technology students in 2014 that artificial intelligence was our biggest existential threat. And in case he didnt get the students attention there, Musk compared artificial intelligence research to a metaphor of Good and Evil.
With artificial intelligence we are summoning the demon, in all those stories where theres the guy with the pentagram and the holy water, its like yeah hes sure he can control the demon. Didnt work out, Musk said.
So what can humans use as prayer beads against these robotic demons? Musk thinks that well need to use artificial intelligence to beat artificial intelligence. In a Vanity Fair profile of his artificial intelligence ambitions, Musk said that the human A.I. collective could beat rogue algorithms that could arise with artificial superintelligence.
If youre not sold with A.I. being an existential threat to humanity, are you more alarmed when you consider a world where our robot overlords treat us like pets? This is an argument Musk tried in 2017.
When Musk founded his brain-implant company, Neuralink, in 2017, he needed to explain why developing a connection between brains and machines was necessary. As part of this press tour, he talked with Wait But Why about the background behind his latest company and the existential risk were facing with artificial intelligence.
Were going to have the choice of either being left behind and being effectively useless or like a pet you know, like a house cat or something or eventually figuring out some way to be symbiotic and merge with AI, Musk told the blog. A house cats a good outcome, by the way.
Musk meant that being housecats for the demonic robot overlords is the best possible outcome, of course. But its also worth considering that housecats are not only well-treated and largely adored, but also, by acclamation, came to dominate the internet. Humanity could do worse.
Our impending irrelevance means well have to become cyborgs to stay useful to this world, according to Musk. While computers can communicate at a a trillion bits per second, Musk has said, we flawed humans are built with much slower bandwidths our puny brains and sluggish fingers that process information more slowly. We will need to evolve past this to stay useful.
To do this, humans and robots will need to form a merger so that we can achieve a symbiosis between human and machine intelligence, and maybe solves the control problem and the usefulness problem, Musk told an audience at the World Government Summit in Dubai in 2017, according to CNBC.
In other words, one day in the future, humans will have to join forces with artificial intelligence to keep up with the times or become the collared felines Musk fears well become without intervention.
What will it take for our robot prophet to be heard, so that his proclamations dont keep falling on deaf ears?
Although Musk may seem like a minority opinion now, his ideas around the threat of artificial intelligence are becoming more mainstream. For instance, his idea has been widely adopted that we are living right now in a computer simulation staged by future scientists.
Although Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg disagrees with Musks dark future, more tech leaders are siding with Musk when it comes to killer robots. Alphabets artificial intelligence expert, Mustafa Suleyman, was one of the U.N. open letters signatories. In the past, Bill Gates has said that the intelligence in A.I. is strong enough to be a concern.
So we can laugh now at these outlandish science fiction worlds where were robots domestic pets. But Musk has been sounding the alarm for years and he has held firm to his beliefs. What may be one mans outlier theory now may become a reality in the future. If nothing else, hes making sure you listen.
Monica Torres is a reporter for Ladders. She is based in New York City and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Can Apocalypse Be Dealt With? The Diplomat - The Diplomat - October 19th, 2020
- Thirty books to help us understand the world in 2020 - The Guardian - October 19th, 2020
- These Are The 10 Highest-Paid Actresses Of 2020 - Marie Claire - October 19th, 2020
- Forbes 10 highest-paid actresses of 2020 have been revealed - The Independent - October 10th, 2020
- Hulk Just Exploded Into Bits and Pieces in The Immortal Hulk #35 - Screen Rant - August 10th, 2020
- Should You Get Down (And Occasionally Dirty) With Star Trek: Lower Decks? - PRIMETIMER - August 7th, 2020
- The Era Of Autonomous Army Bots is Here - Forbes - August 6th, 2020
- AI Could Overtake Humans in 5 Years, Says Elon Musk, Whose 'Top Concern' is Google-Owned DeepMind - International Business Times, Singapore Edition - August 5th, 2020
- Superintelligence - Wikipedia - July 31st, 2020
- Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies by Nick Bostrom - July 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence - A Way To Superintelligence ... - July 31st, 2020
- AI governance and the future of humanity with the Rockefeller Foundations senior VP of innovation - The Sociable - July 31st, 2020
- neXt Trailer: It's Not Paranoia If The Threat Is Real - Bleeding Cool News - July 27th, 2020
- The Famous AI Turing Test Put In Reverse And Upside-Down, Plus Implications For Self-Driving Cars - Forbes - July 21st, 2020
- Scoop: Coming Up on a Rebroadcast of MATCH GAME on ABC - Sunday, July 26, 2020 - Broadway World - July 17th, 2020
- Consciousness Existing Beyond Matter, Or in the Central Nervous System as an Afterthought of Nature? - The Daily Galaxy --Great Discoveries Channel - July 17th, 2020
- If you can't beat 'em, join 'em Elon Musk tweets out the mission statement for his AI-brain-chip Neuralink - Business Insider India - July 13th, 2020
- The Shadow of Progress - Merion West - July 13th, 2020
- Josiah Henson: the forgotten story in the history of slavery - The Guardian - June 21st, 2020
- The world's best virology lab isn't where you think - Spectator.co.uk - April 3rd, 2020
- Is Artificial Intelligence (AI) A Threat To Humans? - Forbes - March 4th, 2020
- Elon Musk dings Bill Gates and says their conversations were underwhelming, after the Microsoft billionaire buys an electric Porsche - Pulse Nigeria - February 18th, 2020
- Thinking Beyond Flesh and Bones with AI - Ghana Latest Football News, Live Scores, Results - Ghanasoccernet.com - February 18th, 2020
- Liquid metal tendons could give robots the ability to heal themselves - Digital Trends - December 21st, 2019
- NIU expert: 4 leaps in technology to expect in the 2020s | NIU - NIU Newsroom - December 21st, 2019
- Playing Tetris Shows That True AI Is Impossible - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - December 21st, 2019
- AI R&D is booming, but general intelligence is still out of reach - The Verge - December 18th, 2019
- Doubting The AI Mystics: Dramatic Predictions About AI Obscure Its Concrete Benefits - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- Melissa McCarthy And Ben Falcone Have Decided To Release 'Superintelligence' Via HBO Max Ins - Science Fiction - October 24th, 2019
- Melissa McCarthy & Director Ben Falcone On Choosing HBO Max Bow Instead Of WB Xmas Release For Superintelligence - Deadline - October 24th, 2019
- AMC Is Still In the Theater Business, But VOD Is a Funny Way of Showing It - IndieWire - October 24th, 2019
- Idiot Box: HBO Max joins the flood of streaming services - Weekly Alibi - October 24th, 2019
- Here's How to Watch Watchmen, HBOs Next Game of Thrones - Cosmopolitan - October 24th, 2019
- The Best Artificial Intelligence Books you Need to Read Today - Edgy Labs - October 22nd, 2019
- Aquinas' Fifth Way: The Proof from Specification - Discovery Institute - October 22nd, 2019
- Elon Musk warns 'advanced A.I.' will soon manipulate social media - Big Think - October 1st, 2019
- Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies - Wikipedia - May 3rd, 2019
- Global Risks Report 2017 - Reports - World Economic Forum - March 6th, 2019
- Superintelligence - Hardcover - Nick Bostrom - Oxford ... - March 6th, 2019
- The Artificial Intelligence Revolution: Part 1 - Wait But Why - November 3rd, 2018
- Superintelligence: From Chapter Eight of Films from the ... - October 11th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies ... - August 18th, 2018
- Superintelligence survey - Future of Life Institute - June 23rd, 2018
- Artificial Superintelligence: The Coming Revolution ... - June 3rd, 2018
- Steam Workshop :: Superintelligence - February 15th, 2018
- Steam Workshop :: Superintelligence (BNW) - February 15th, 2018
- The AI Revolution: The Road to Superintelligence | Inverse - August 25th, 2017
- Friendly artificial intelligence - Wikipedia - August 25th, 2017
- Being human in the age of artificial intelligence - Science Weekly podcast - The Guardian - August 25th, 2017
- Infographic: Visualizing the Massive $15.7 Trillion Impact of AI - Visual Capitalist (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- The Musk/Zuckerberg Dustup Represents a Growing Schism in AI - Motherboard - August 4th, 2017
- The end of humanity as we know it is 'coming in 2045' and Google is preparing for it - Metro - July 27th, 2017
- Will we be wiped out by machine overlords? Maybe we need a ... - PBS NewsHour - July 22nd, 2017
- Giving Up the Fags: A Self-Reflexive Speech on Critical Auto-ethnography About the Shame of Growing up Gay/Sexual ... - The Good Men Project (blog) - July 22nd, 2017
- AI researcher: Why should a superintelligence keep us around? - TNW - July 18th, 2017
- What an artificial intelligence researcher fears about AI - Huron Daily ... - Huron Daily Tribune - July 16th, 2017
- Integrating disciplines 'key to dealing with digital revolution' | Times ... - Times Higher Education (THE) - July 4th, 2017
- No need to fear Artificial Intelligence - Livemint - Livemint - June 30th, 2017
- Effective Altruism Says You Can Save the Future by Making Money - Motherboard - June 20th, 2017
- The bots are coming - The New Indian Express - June 20th, 2017
- U.S. Navy reaches out to gamers to troubleshoot post ... - June 18th, 2017
- Facebook Chatbots Spontaneously Invent Their Own Non-Human ... - Interesting Engineering - June 17th, 2017
- Cars 3 gets back to what made the franchise adequate - Vox - June 13th, 2017
- Using AI to unlock human potential - EJ Insight - June 9th, 2017
- Are You Ready for the AI Revolution and the Rise of Superintelligence? - TrendinTech - June 7th, 2017
- A reply to Wait But Why on machine superintelligence - June 6th, 2017
- The AI Revolution: The Road to Superintelligence (PDF) - June 6th, 2017
- How humans will lose control of artificial intelligence - The Week Magazine - April 8th, 2017
- The Nonparametric Intuition: Superintelligence and Design Methodology - Lifeboat Foundation (blog) - April 8th, 2017
- Who is afraid of AI? - The Hindu - April 8th, 2017
- The AI debate must stay grounded in reality - Prospect - March 8th, 2017
- Superintelligence | Guardian Bookshop - March 7th, 2017
- Supersentience - March 7th, 2017
- Horst Simon to Present Supercomputers and Superintelligence at PASC17 in Lugano - insideHPC - March 3rd, 2017
- Softbank CEO: The Singularity Will Happen by 2047 - Futurism - March 2nd, 2017
- Disruptive by Design: Siri, Tell Me a Joke. No, Not That One. - Signal Magazine - March 2nd, 2017
- Tech Leaders Raise Concern About the Dangers of AI - iDrop News - March 2nd, 2017
- Superintelligent AI explains Softbank's push to raise a $100BN ... - TechCrunch - February 28th, 2017
- Building A 'Collective Superintelligence' For Doctors And Patients Around The World - Forbes - February 28th, 2017
- Don't Fear Superintelligent AICCT News - CCT News - February 27th, 2017