The CEO of Japanese telecommunications giant and internet multinational Softbank is at it again. Masayoshi Son has been consistent with his predictions as to when the technological singularity will occur. This time, Son predicted that the dawn of machines surpassing human intelligence is bound to occur by 2047 during a keynote address at the ongoing Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. Son famously made the same prediction at the 2016 ARM TechCon, when he revealed that Softbank is looking to make the singularity happen.
One of the chips in our shoes in the next 30 years will be smarter than our brain. We will be less than our shoes. And we are stepping on them, Son said during his MWC address. In fact, he expects that a single computer chip will have an IQ equivalent to 10,000 by that point in time. Thats far beyond what the most intelligent person in the world has (roughly 200). What should we call it? he asked. Superintelligence. That is an intelligence beyond peoples imagination [no matter] how smart they are. But in 30 years, I believe this is going to become a reality.
Sound like every single human-vs-machine sci-fi flick youve seen? Son doesnt quite think so.
Instead of conflict, he sees a potential for humans to partner with artificial intelligence (AI), echoing the commentsElon Musk madein Dubai last month: I think this superintelligence is going to be our partner, said Softbanks CEO. If we misuse it, its a risk. If we use it in good spirits, it will be our partner for a better life.
Already, individuals are working to ensure thatthe coming age of super synthetic intelligences is, indeed, one that is beneficial for humanity. Case in point,Braintree founder Bryan Johnson is investing $100 millionto research the human brainand, ultimately, make neuroprostheses that allow us to augment our own intelligence and keep pace with AI. This will be accomplished, in large part, by making our neural code programmable.
Johnson outlinesthe purpose of his work, stating that its really all about co-evolution:
Our connection with our new creations of intelligence is limited by screens, keyboards, gestural interfaces, and voice commands constrained input/output modalities. We have very little access to our own brains, limiting our ability to co-evolve with silicon-based machines in powerful ways.
To that end,Johnsons company, Kernel, wants to ensure that we have a seamless interface with our technologies (and our AI).
Son isnt alone in expecting the singularity around 2047 Google Engineering director and futurist Ray Kurzweil shares this general prediction. As for his predicted machine IQ, Son arrived at that figure by comparing the number of neurons in the human brain to the number of transistors in a computer chip. Both, he asserts, are binary systems that work by turning on and off.
By 2018, Son thinks that the number of transistors in a chip will surpass the number of neurons in the brain, which isnt unlikely considering recent developments in microchip technology overtaking Moores Law. Its worth pointing out, however, that Son put the number of neurons in the brain at 30 billion, which is way below the 86 billion estimatemade by many.
That doesnt matter, Son said. The point is that mankind, for the last 2,000 years 4,000 years has had the same number of neurons in our brain. We havent improved the hardware in our brain, he explained. But [the computer chip], in the next 30 years, is going to be one million times more. If you have a million times more binary systems, I think they will be smarter than us.
Will these super intelligent machines trample over humankind? We dont know. But Son is convinced that, given our abundance of smart devices, which include even our cars, and the growth of the internet of things (IoT), the impact of super intelligent machines will be felt by humankind.
If this superintelligence goes into moving robots, the world, our lifestyle, dramatically changes, said Son. We can expect all kinds of robots. Flying, swimming, big, micro, run, two legs, four legs, 100 legs.
And we have 30 years to prepare for them all. Fortunately, a number of innovators are already working on solutions.
Disclosure: Bryan Johnson is an investor in Futurism; he does not hold a seat on our editorial board or have any editorial review privileges.
See the article here:
- Can Apocalypse Be Dealt With? The Diplomat - The Diplomat - October 19th, 2020
- Thirty books to help us understand the world in 2020 - The Guardian - October 19th, 2020
- These Are The 10 Highest-Paid Actresses Of 2020 - Marie Claire - October 19th, 2020
- Forbes 10 highest-paid actresses of 2020 have been revealed - The Independent - October 10th, 2020
- Hulk Just Exploded Into Bits and Pieces in The Immortal Hulk #35 - Screen Rant - August 10th, 2020
- Should You Get Down (And Occasionally Dirty) With Star Trek: Lower Decks? - PRIMETIMER - August 7th, 2020
- The Era Of Autonomous Army Bots is Here - Forbes - August 6th, 2020
- AI Could Overtake Humans in 5 Years, Says Elon Musk, Whose 'Top Concern' is Google-Owned DeepMind - International Business Times, Singapore Edition - August 5th, 2020
- Superintelligence - Wikipedia - July 31st, 2020
- Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies by Nick Bostrom - July 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence - A Way To Superintelligence ... - July 31st, 2020
- AI governance and the future of humanity with the Rockefeller Foundations senior VP of innovation - The Sociable - July 31st, 2020
- neXt Trailer: It's Not Paranoia If The Threat Is Real - Bleeding Cool News - July 27th, 2020
- The Famous AI Turing Test Put In Reverse And Upside-Down, Plus Implications For Self-Driving Cars - Forbes - July 21st, 2020
- Scoop: Coming Up on a Rebroadcast of MATCH GAME on ABC - Sunday, July 26, 2020 - Broadway World - July 17th, 2020
- Consciousness Existing Beyond Matter, Or in the Central Nervous System as an Afterthought of Nature? - The Daily Galaxy --Great Discoveries Channel - July 17th, 2020
- If you can't beat 'em, join 'em Elon Musk tweets out the mission statement for his AI-brain-chip Neuralink - Business Insider India - July 13th, 2020
- The Shadow of Progress - Merion West - July 13th, 2020
- Josiah Henson: the forgotten story in the history of slavery - The Guardian - June 21st, 2020
- The world's best virology lab isn't where you think - Spectator.co.uk - April 3rd, 2020
- Is Artificial Intelligence (AI) A Threat To Humans? - Forbes - March 4th, 2020
- Elon Musk dings Bill Gates and says their conversations were underwhelming, after the Microsoft billionaire buys an electric Porsche - Pulse Nigeria - February 18th, 2020
- Thinking Beyond Flesh and Bones with AI - Ghana Latest Football News, Live Scores, Results - Ghanasoccernet.com - February 18th, 2020
- Liquid metal tendons could give robots the ability to heal themselves - Digital Trends - December 21st, 2019
- NIU expert: 4 leaps in technology to expect in the 2020s | NIU - NIU Newsroom - December 21st, 2019
- Playing Tetris Shows That True AI Is Impossible - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - December 21st, 2019
- AI R&D is booming, but general intelligence is still out of reach - The Verge - December 18th, 2019
- Doubting The AI Mystics: Dramatic Predictions About AI Obscure Its Concrete Benefits - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- Melissa McCarthy And Ben Falcone Have Decided To Release 'Superintelligence' Via HBO Max Ins - Science Fiction - October 24th, 2019
- Melissa McCarthy & Director Ben Falcone On Choosing HBO Max Bow Instead Of WB Xmas Release For Superintelligence - Deadline - October 24th, 2019
- AMC Is Still In the Theater Business, But VOD Is a Funny Way of Showing It - IndieWire - October 24th, 2019
- Idiot Box: HBO Max joins the flood of streaming services - Weekly Alibi - October 24th, 2019
- Here's How to Watch Watchmen, HBOs Next Game of Thrones - Cosmopolitan - October 24th, 2019
- The Best Artificial Intelligence Books you Need to Read Today - Edgy Labs - October 22nd, 2019
- Aquinas' Fifth Way: The Proof from Specification - Discovery Institute - October 22nd, 2019
- Elon Musk warns 'advanced A.I.' will soon manipulate social media - Big Think - October 1st, 2019
- Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies - Wikipedia - May 3rd, 2019
- Global Risks Report 2017 - Reports - World Economic Forum - March 6th, 2019
- Superintelligence - Hardcover - Nick Bostrom - Oxford ... - March 6th, 2019
- The Artificial Intelligence Revolution: Part 1 - Wait But Why - November 3rd, 2018
- Superintelligence: From Chapter Eight of Films from the ... - October 11th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies ... - August 18th, 2018
- Superintelligence survey - Future of Life Institute - June 23rd, 2018
- Artificial Superintelligence: The Coming Revolution ... - June 3rd, 2018
- Steam Workshop :: Superintelligence - February 15th, 2018
- Steam Workshop :: Superintelligence (BNW) - February 15th, 2018
- The AI Revolution: The Road to Superintelligence | Inverse - August 25th, 2017
- Friendly artificial intelligence - Wikipedia - August 25th, 2017
- Being human in the age of artificial intelligence - Science Weekly podcast - The Guardian - August 25th, 2017
- Why won't everyone listen to Elon Musk about the robot apocalypse? - Ladders - August 25th, 2017
- Infographic: Visualizing the Massive $15.7 Trillion Impact of AI - Visual Capitalist (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- The Musk/Zuckerberg Dustup Represents a Growing Schism in AI - Motherboard - August 4th, 2017
- The end of humanity as we know it is 'coming in 2045' and Google is preparing for it - Metro - July 27th, 2017
- Will we be wiped out by machine overlords? Maybe we need a ... - PBS NewsHour - July 22nd, 2017
- Giving Up the Fags: A Self-Reflexive Speech on Critical Auto-ethnography About the Shame of Growing up Gay/Sexual ... - The Good Men Project (blog) - July 22nd, 2017
- AI researcher: Why should a superintelligence keep us around? - TNW - July 18th, 2017
- What an artificial intelligence researcher fears about AI - Huron Daily ... - Huron Daily Tribune - July 16th, 2017
- Integrating disciplines 'key to dealing with digital revolution' | Times ... - Times Higher Education (THE) - July 4th, 2017
- No need to fear Artificial Intelligence - Livemint - Livemint - June 30th, 2017
- Effective Altruism Says You Can Save the Future by Making Money - Motherboard - June 20th, 2017
- The bots are coming - The New Indian Express - June 20th, 2017
- U.S. Navy reaches out to gamers to troubleshoot post ... - June 18th, 2017
- Facebook Chatbots Spontaneously Invent Their Own Non-Human ... - Interesting Engineering - June 17th, 2017
- Cars 3 gets back to what made the franchise adequate - Vox - June 13th, 2017
- Using AI to unlock human potential - EJ Insight - June 9th, 2017
- Are You Ready for the AI Revolution and the Rise of Superintelligence? - TrendinTech - June 7th, 2017
- A reply to Wait But Why on machine superintelligence - June 6th, 2017
- The AI Revolution: The Road to Superintelligence (PDF) - June 6th, 2017
- How humans will lose control of artificial intelligence - The Week Magazine - April 8th, 2017
- The Nonparametric Intuition: Superintelligence and Design Methodology - Lifeboat Foundation (blog) - April 8th, 2017
- Who is afraid of AI? - The Hindu - April 8th, 2017
- The AI debate must stay grounded in reality - Prospect - March 8th, 2017
- Superintelligence | Guardian Bookshop - March 7th, 2017
- Supersentience - March 7th, 2017
- Horst Simon to Present Supercomputers and Superintelligence at PASC17 in Lugano - insideHPC - March 3rd, 2017
- Disruptive by Design: Siri, Tell Me a Joke. No, Not That One. - Signal Magazine - March 2nd, 2017
- Tech Leaders Raise Concern About the Dangers of AI - iDrop News - March 2nd, 2017
- Superintelligent AI explains Softbank's push to raise a $100BN ... - TechCrunch - February 28th, 2017
- Building A 'Collective Superintelligence' For Doctors And Patients Around The World - Forbes - February 28th, 2017
- Don't Fear Superintelligent AICCT News - CCT News - February 27th, 2017