VATICAN CITY (CNS) Many Catholics look at religious orders of men or women and wonder what their vow of poverty means. After all, the brothers, priests and nuns run schools and hospitals, have large convents or abbeys and they all pretty much know where their next meal will come from.
Evangelical poverty the vow of poverty usually will not mean living in destitution, although there are some religious men and women who see living that way as the best way to follow Christ and be in solidarity with the poor.
Living simply and not having personal property, but holding everything in common, are basic to the vow of poverty.
How the vow is to be lived out varies from order to order based on the congregations founding inspiration and constitutions, as well as modern needs and challenges, including prayerful responses to the poverty of the people they work with and careful stewardship of the donations they receive.
Pope Francis, during his Christmas homily in 2018, urged every Catholic to ask themselves some questions: Do I really need all these material objects and complicated recipes for living? Can I manage without all these unnecessary extras and live a life of greater simplicity?
The Jesuits, the religious order to which Pope Francis belonged, are in the initial stages of preparing an order-wide discussion about their own vow of poverty.
Father Arturo Sosa, superior general of the Society of Jesus, had announced the consultation in July and discussed more specific plans for it Jan. 11-15 during an online meeting with members of his extended council, which includes Jesuits from around the world.
Jesuit Fathers Thomas McClain, the orders general treasurer, and James Hanvey, the secretary for the service of faith, helped prepare the meeting and spoke to Catholic News Service about the Jesuits vow of poverty.
Pope Francis did not order the consultation, but he has put very much to the fore of the churchs thinking and indeed societys thinking about the reality of the poor, Father Hanvey said. He himself is leading a simple life. And notice whats very interesting about it is his availability to the poor. They are the priority. And I think thats another facet of our vow.
In the Jesuit constitutions, the only law St. Ignatius gave regarding the vow of poverty is that apostolic Jesuits may not live off a fixed income. We live off just remuneration for our work and from alms, Father McClain said. We cant rely on an endowment to support us. We can have endowments to support the formation of the young and care for the sick and to support an apostolate, but for our personal lives we can only live off alms and just remuneration for our work.
Going deeper, though, he said, Ignatius presumes or declares that every member of the Society of Jesus has made the spiritual exercises and has responded to the invitation of Christ to be his companion and to follow him in his ways. And its Christ compassionate for the poor, Christ living poorly, simply, giving what he has to the poor.
The consultation, Father Hanvey said, will be a time for each Jesuit to ask, What does this vow of poverty mean? and Where does it fit into my relationship with Christ and my freedom for being sent on mission? And how does our lifestyle manifest that? How is it a witness to that?
As a novice, each Jesuit does a pilgrimage experiment that often begins with being dropped off at a bus station with $5, some clothes and a destination to be reached in the next two weeks or so. He has to beg for food and find shelter and further transportation, relying on God and the kindness of strangers.
The pilgrim is completely dependent on God and theres a freedom in that, Father Hanvey said.
The order as a whole tries to live that freedom as well, Father McClain said. In addition to vows of poverty, chastity and obedience, the Jesuits have a fourth vow of being ready to accept any mission given by the pope. That can, and often does, mean being sent with little warning to begin a new ministry in a place with few material resources, trusting that God will provide.
Father Pedro Arrupe, superior of the Jesuits from 1965 to 1983, wrote that the temporal goods of the Society of Jesus are to be considered as belonging to our Lord Jesus Christ and as the patrimony of his poor.
Now imagine if you start from that position, Father Hanvey said. Even though you might be in charge of a big college or in charge of a large parish, if thats your principle, then I think that changes, both spiritually and morally, your relationship to the goods that you are administering.
And, as Pope Francis has pointed out repeatedly, ones spiritual and moral relationship to things has implications for the way one relates to the environment and to the poor.
One of the things our society does very effectively is that it makes the poor invisible, Father Hanvey said. Its like the grit in the oyster; my vow of poverty keeps my eyes open in that sense.
At the same time, Father McClain said he hoped the consultation would not focus only on the environmental impact of poverty or on how COVID-19 has unveiled deep-seated inequities and injustices in the world, because the vow is deeper than that: It talks to our freedom, it talks to our heart as companions of Jesus.
Religious vows are meant to be a witness, not a legal obligation. And the vow of poverty, he said, is a sign that I choose to live with less for the good of others, which can be a witness against the consumerism of society. It is not something we impose on others; its a witness.
- Spirituality or occult? Mahindas visit to sacred city before resigning as PM raises questions - ThePrint - May 12th, 2022
- Finding Faith with Randy Ollis: IndyCar Ministry provides spiritual support for race teams - WISH TV Indianapolis, IN - May 12th, 2022
- Spiritual values in nation-building - The Star Online - May 12th, 2022
- The power of prayer in health and healing: Venture capitalist Vani Kola vouches for benefits of spirituality - Times Now - May 12th, 2022
- Higher Self Yoga: Nanette V. Hucknall goes right to the source - theberkshireedge.com - May 12th, 2022
- Ntsiki Mazwai talks about African spirituality and the need for traditional bodies to lay down the law - TimesLIVE - May 12th, 2022
- St. Gianna's daughter planning to open spiritual pilgrimage center. Published May. 9 2022. Nation. - The Pilot - May 12th, 2022
- The parasites inside my mother were both real and spiritual - Salon - May 12th, 2022
- The Reckless Curiosity of Spiritual Friendship | Anne Kennedy - Patheos - May 12th, 2022
- Investigative Reporter Julie Roys Removes Herself From Her Own Conference After Accusations of 'Spiritual Abuse' - Church Leaders - May 12th, 2022
- Synod on synodality to be 'process of spiritual discernment,' participants say - Crux Now - May 12th, 2022
- Missionary Diary: The spiritual discipline of fishing | The Paradise News - The Paradise News - May 12th, 2022
- Michelle Huneven's 'Search' offers spiritual wisdom and cookies - Frederick News Post - May 12th, 2022
- Spice of Life | From strangers to family on a spiritual journey - Hindustan Times - May 12th, 2022
- I Traded Traditional Talk Therapy For Spiritual Healing Sessions - POPSUGAR - May 12th, 2022
- Spiritual Leader Monsignor Gerard McCarren Appointed Interim Rector and Dean of Immaculate Conception Seminary School of Theology at Seton Hall... - May 12th, 2022
- Conrad Black: A D-Day-level assault on the intellectual and spiritual freedom of Canada's soldiers - National Post - May 12th, 2022
- Spiritual adviser explains what to do on the luckiest day of the year - New York Post - April 14th, 2022
- ASIA/CHINA - Prayer, relationship with Christ, new ways of evangelizing: the Beijing Seminary continues its synodal journey in the spirituality of... - April 14th, 2022
- ASIA/MALAYSIA - In a book, the spirituality and missionary legacy of the first Malaysian Cardinal - Agenzia Fides - April 14th, 2022
- Spiritual leader for Cleveland's non-conformists leaves a legacy of slowing down and opening up - ideastream - April 14th, 2022
- Jim Carrey Once Felt He Saw God After Going on a Spiritual Journey - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - April 14th, 2022
- The universal and spiritual relevance of the number seven - Times of Malta - April 14th, 2022
- The blessing is Spiritual - Chronicle - April 14th, 2022
- Stations of the Cross, a spiritual journey, is observed in variety of ways in the Miami Valley - Dayton Daily News - April 14th, 2022
- Spiritual Perspective: As you see the day drawing near - Los Altos Town Crier - April 14th, 2022
- With devices like retire out, cricket may be witnessing a spiritual return to its grassroots, to its unorganised avatar - The Indian Express - April 14th, 2022
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: Be ready for pain, and be ready to grow from it - Wicked Local - April 14th, 2022
- IUST holds Conference on Impact of Fasting on Spiritual and Mental Health - Brighter Kashmir - April 14th, 2022
- Spiritual BlackBerry KEY2 successor could arrive with upcoming Unihertz launch - Android Central - April 14th, 2022
- Stevenson | Living with the Long Emergency: Spiritually engaged activism - Brattleboro Reformer - April 14th, 2022
- COMMUNITY VOICES: The resurrection of Christ: Spiritual or physical? - The Bakersfield Californian - April 14th, 2022
- Rolls-Royce Ghost review: On a spiritual journey in the lap of luxury - NationalWorld - April 14th, 2022
- Ascend With Poog, the Spiritual Beauty Podcast - Papermag - January 25th, 2022
- September's Harvest Moon Will Bring Uneasiness and Opportunity - POPSUGAR - January 25th, 2022
- This New Moon in Aquarius Bao Will Help You Manifest Your Goals - POPSUGAR - January 25th, 2022
- 'I was so close to the sky. It was spiritual': Sonny Rollins on jazz landmark The Bridge at 60 - The Guardian - January 25th, 2022
- 3 reasons Star Trek: Prodigy is a spiritual successor to Voyager - Redshirts Always Die - January 25th, 2022
- The practice of meditation spans from the strictly spiritual to secular. - Monterey County Weekly - January 25th, 2022
- The Bible's spiritual purpose - Downtown - Church of the Resurrection - January 25th, 2022
- David Bowie Said It'd Be Really 'Hard' to Have George Harrison's Spiritual Life - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 25th, 2022
- Author Takes Readers on a Spiritual Journey and Provides Life-Changing Tips and Tricks - Benzinga - Benzinga - January 25th, 2022
- Health First's Director of Pastoral Care 'Father Bob' Bruckart Retires After 26 Years of Bedside Spiritual Care - SpaceCoastDaily.com - January 25th, 2022
- Good News, Mech Fans: Armored Core Spiritual Successor Will Soon Be Free - Kotaku - January 25th, 2022
- The Medical & Spiritual Solutions to End the COVID-19 Pandemic - Digital Journal - January 25th, 2022
- Sundance Q&A: 'Watcher' director Chloe Okuno on her spiritual nod to 'Rosemary's Baby' and the therapy of horror - Screen International - January 25th, 2022
- The Bible's spiritual purpose - Church of the Resurrection - January 25th, 2022
- Ranking the NESCAC Mascot Costumes: An Emotional and Spiritual Journey - The Bates Student - January 25th, 2022
- A spiritual look at the violence in Columbus - WSAV-TV - December 14th, 2021
- Foucaults Political Spirituality, Punjab And TLP - The Friday Times - December 14th, 2021
- Whitney Hubbs's Unholy Rites for the Spiritually Bankrupt - frieze.com - December 14th, 2021
- Column: This Christmas, reach out to those who are spiritually, emotionally lonely - The Columbus Dispatch - December 14th, 2021
- Did COP26 Have Spiritual Implications? Yes, Says One Attendee. - ChristianityToday.com - December 14th, 2021
- The call of awakening - The New Indian Express - December 14th, 2021
- If there is any country that is mother of spirituality, culture, democracy, it's India: Om Birla - Devdiscourse - December 14th, 2021
- Sunday Scripture reading, Jan. 9, 2022: New spiritual resolutions - Catholic News Service - December 14th, 2021
- Idol Worship: The Brooklyn Museums Important New Warhol Show Casts the Pop Artist in a Spiritual Light - artnet News - December 14th, 2021
- Need to spread spiritual intelligence, says Governor Koshyari - The Indian Express - December 14th, 2021
- Varanasi: Spiritual and structural rejuvenation - Times of India - December 14th, 2021
- Explore Spiritual Warfare And Learn Defense Against The Forces Of Evil - WFMZ Allentown - December 14th, 2021
- ASIA/CHINA - Christmas lights are turned on: the Catholic community intensifies its spiritual journey and its works of charity - Agenzia Fides - December 14th, 2021
- Author and Spiritual Teacher Iyanla Vanzant on Missing Loved Ones During the Holidays: 'Make It a Celebration' - Inside Edition - December 14th, 2021
- How to Spot a Spiritual Impersonator Scam on Instagram (And What To Do) - Patheos - December 14th, 2021
- For spiritual reading or gift-giving, new readings on peace - The Hutchinson News - December 14th, 2021
- Hiker spots spooky 'spiritual' illusion in the clouds - Liverpool Echo - December 14th, 2021
- This Full Moon Limpia Will Heal Your Heart and Clear the Path For 2022 - POPSUGAR - December 14th, 2021
- SPIRITUAL: Shepherds were looked on with disdain | Life | pentictonherald.ca - pentictonherald.ca - December 14th, 2021
- The spiritual healing path is a way to healing your mind, body, and spirit - ABC 4 - May 17th, 2021
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: Life (and traffic) returns to normal - Wicked Local - May 17th, 2021
- Time for a spiritual vaccine - The Times of India Blog - May 17th, 2021
- 'Run the World' is the spiritual successor to 'Living Single' we deserved all along - Yahoo News - May 17th, 2021
- DEBRIS Uses Science Fiction to Tell a Moving Spiritual Story - Nerdist - May 17th, 2021
- Spiritual Side: Food Distribution Drive-Thru in DeLand on May 15 and 29 - The West Volusia Beacon - May 17th, 2021
- Are You Experiencing Bloating? | Spiritual and Physical Wellness - ChicagoNow - May 17th, 2021
- CRiver: Church of God Mission gets first indigenous spiritual leader - Vanguard - May 17th, 2021
- Prince Harry feels US is his spiritual home as he gears up to welcome baby girl - The News International - May 17th, 2021
- Cause & Effect: Where is Your Focus? - The New Indian Express - May 17th, 2021
- Voices of Faith: Re-imagining the covenant as we mark Shavuot - Record-Courier - May 17th, 2021
- Between the lines: Do we have the spiritual grit our beliefs require? - The West Volusia Beacon - May 17th, 2021
- MENTAL HEALTH WEEK: It's Important To Remain Mentally Healthy And Spirituality Can Help - South Asian Link - May 17th, 2021