Published on Tuesday, August 4, 2020
Bangkok, August 5, 2020: In the afternoon of Tuesday, August 25th , the Mekong Tourism Coordinating Office is hosting a half-day Virtual Destination Mekong Summit, organized by public-private partnership Destination Mekong, with sponsorship of UNWTO Affiliate Member Chameleon Strategies, under the theme of "Balanced Tourism Recovery for a Better Future". In order to assist businesses during these challenging times, the registration fee has been waived as a gesture of goodwill.
The complete program, and free registration is available at: https://www.destinationmekong.com/dms2020/
With feedback and significant contributions by members of the Mekong Tourism Advisory Group (MeTAG), and a focus on resilience and tourism recovery in the Greater Mekong Subregion, the 1st Destination Mekong Summit aims to give actionable insights and action steps to businesses, operating in the member countries of the Mekong Region. With 15 short sessions, from discussing changing sentiments from source markets China and Japan, recommendations for the meetings sector, latest data and insights for travel businesses, how to communicate to stakeholders in these times, the ever increasing importance of sustainability including climate change, plastic pollution, child protection, and wildlife conservation, as well as a scenario analysis to prepare for the future today.
The Destination Mekong Summit will also be the launchpad of the new #Mekong Memories campaign to create a content cloud of past experiences to inspire people to #TravelTomorrow, and the new Mekong Deals platform to feature non-refundable vouchers sold by travel operators to help survive the crisis, both powered by innovative engagement technology Enwoke. The campaign has been developed together with launch partners Yaana Ventures, Accor Hotels, Minor Hotels, Green Discovery Laos, Memories Group Myanmar, and Hanuman Travel Cambodia - before inviting all travel and tourism businesses regardless of size and type to join.
The format of the Virtual Destination Mekong Summit deploys a 'condensed content concept' by not having a series of presentations but engaging in pointed and focused discussions. The objective is to answer burning questions, offer actionable suggestions on how to survive these challenging times, and how to best prepare for an accelerated recovery. The Destination Mekong Summit is emceed by Dr. Jutamas Wisangsing of Perfect Link Consulting, and Mekong Tourism Coordinating Office Executive Director, Mr. Jens Thraenhart.
We designed the Virtual Destination Mekong Summit around a "condensed content concept", to really address the issues by giving succinct and focused recommendations and action steps. 40 speakers will turn their insights into suggestions for industry stakeholders to act upon."
The summit will have two short take-away sessions, led by Horwath HTL Global Tourism Practice Leader Mr Sinia Topalovi-, calling in from Croatia. These two sessions are designed to give delegates a quick view on key 'dos and don'ts', drawing on global research of many destinations and travel businesses.
Organized in various chapters of a book, the event is endorsed by the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) and starts with remarks by the Director of Asia Pacific of the UNWTO, Mr. Harry Hwang. The opening keynote is given by the author of the upcoming book "Travel & Covid-19", Professor Dr. Simon Hudson of South Carolina University in the USA, looking at case studies and best practices from all over the world.
Reflections from past crisis' and ideas will be discussed by HE Mr Weearasak Kowsurat, Senator and former Minister of Tourism and Sports of Thailand and HE Mr Htay Aung, former Minister of Hotels and Tourism, moderated by the former Director for Asia Pacific of the UNWTO, Mr. Xu Jing. Mr. Steven Schipani from the Southeast Asia Department of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) will lead the following session with the Vice Chairman of the Vietnam Administration of Tourism (VNAT), Dr. Ha Van Sieu, and the Director General of the Ministry of Tourism of Cambodia, Mr. Rathasak Thong, about economic development measures as well as tourism recovery in the region.
Communicating during these COVID-19 is a challenge for many businesses - from branding, marketing, and positioning, Publisher of eGlobal Travel Media, Ms Wimintra Raj will moderate a session with Deputy Governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand, Mr Tanes Petsuwan and Mr. Michael Marshall, Chief Commerical Officer of Minor Hotels, operating hotel brands such as Anantara and Avani. When to sell, how to discount, what message to send are all questions that we look to get answered during this insightful session.
When international travel resumes in the Mekong Region, two source markets are said to have great potential: China and Japan. We will be hearing from the Co-Founder and CEO of leading china travel marketing firm Dragon Trail Interactive, Mr. George Cao, and the Chief Research Officer of JTB Consulting, the research division of leading Japanese tour operator JTB. The session will be moderated by Senor Editor of Travel Weekly Asia, Ms Xinyi Liang-Pholsena, to get questions answered how to market to Chinese and Japanese consumers post COVID-19, how to build relationships with the trade now, and changing consumer sentiments in both key source markets.
Senior Editor of TTG Asia, Ms Marissa Caruthers will interview Mr Kelvin Lee of the International Air Transport Association (IATA), and Mr Bernard Kee of leading hotel data firm STR about the latest trends and insights, and what businesses from hotels, tours, and restaurants should do to survive the crisis and how to best prepare for recovery.
Sustainability is something that needs to be part of the tourism recovery strategies, and it is an opportunity for many destinations to re-evaluate their strategies. With the sighting of animals and plants that seem to have gotten lost in the era of over-tourism, the environment seems to have recovered very quickly during these few weeks. While this is a big topic that warrants a deeper discussion, General Manager of the Global Sustainable Tourism Council (GSTC), Mr Roi Ariel, attempts to give some key action steps for businesses to focus on plastic pollution, climate change, child protection, and wildlife conservation, by drawing insights and recommendations from ECPAT International Program Head Ms Gabriella Kuehn, and the Ecotourism Advisor of the Wildlife Conservation Society, Ms Janina Bikova.
Responsible tourism, as well as stakeholder engagement and collaboration are and have been priority pillars of the work of the Mekong Tourism Coordinating Office since its inception over two decades ago. Yaana and Khiri Travel Chairman Mr William Niemeijer discusses the importance of industry collaboration, especially in times like these, with Mr. Ianic Menard, Accor's Vice President of Sales and Marketing of Upper Southeast Asia, and Mr. Jens Thraenhart, Executive Director of the Mekong Tourism Coordinating Office. The award-winning Mekong Moments and Mekong Mini Movie campaigns, es well as the new Mekong Memories campaign and Mekong Deals platform are examples of innovative collaborative efforts, as is the Experience Mekong Collection. Operated by Destination Mekong, the Experience Mekong Collection has curated over 350 small responsible travel businesses and social enterprises in the six member countries. For the 3rd year, in collaboration with Thailand-based Mahidol University, the six Experience Mekong Showcases will be announced during the Destination Mekong Summit, as well as the 1st of three Mekong Heroes every year, recognizing individuals that have made a difference in promoting sustainable and responsible tourism development in the Greater Mekong Subregion.
Professor Dr Ian Yeoman of Victoria University, Wellington, New Zealand, will look at the Future by walking delegates through a scenario analysis. Lonely Planet author Mr Nick Ray, who has traveled all Mekong countries extensively will engage in a discussion with Professor Yeoman on how businesses can use the information to prepare for the future now.
Finally, in a very special session, Ms. Gloria Guevara, CEO of the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC), former UNWTO Secretary General, Dr. Taleb Rifai, and former Minister of Tourism and Sports of Thailand, Ms Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul, and CEO of the Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) Dr Mario Hardy engage in a reflective discussion, moderated by SunX Program founder Professor Geoffrey Lipman, by giving recommendations and opinions to stakeholders in the visitor economy.
The Virtual Destination Mekong Summit is not only for travel and tourism stakeholders in the Greater Mekong Subregion alone. The Mekong Tourism Coordinating Office (MTCO) invites travel professionals from both public and private sectors from all over the world to join us on online on August 25th. The registration fee has been waived, so registration is free at https://www.destinationmekong.com/dms2020/ and questions to the individual sessions can be submitted beforehand at [emailprotected].
About the Mekong Tourism Coordinating Office:
The Mekong Tourism Coordinating Office (MTCO), located in Bangkok, was set up with funding from the governments of the six Greater Mekong Sub-region (GMS) countries - Cambodia, the People's Republic of China, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand, and Viet Nam. The MTCO, which operates on annual financial contributions from each GMS country, acts as the secretariat for the GMS Tourism Working Group, comprising of senior officials of the six GMS countries' National Tourism Organizations, to coordinate and facilitate sustainable tourism development of the GMS, and promotion of the Mekong region as a single travel and tourism destination, in collaboration with the public and private sectors. The MTCO manages its award-winning MekongTourism.org digital platform as a one-stop platform to promote responsible and sustainable tourism in the region, as well as the annual Mekong Tourism Forum, whose hosting is rotated among GMS countries.
Please visit http://www.MekongTourism.org for more information.
About Destination Mekong:
Destination Mekong was created in 2017 to promote the Lancang-Mekong region, comprising of Cambodia, PR China (Provinces of Guangxi and Yunnan), Lao PDR, Myanmar, Thailand and Viet Nam as a single tourism destination to stimulate responsible and sustainable development and investment, and drive inclusive growth. Endorsed by the Mekong Tourism Coordinating Office and aligned with the mandate of the regional collaborative tourism framework of the six-member governments of the Greater Mekong Sub-region, Destination Mekong executes targeted projects and initiatives, including Mekong Moments, Mekong Mini Movie Festival, Mekong Innovative Startups in Tourism (MIST), Experience Mekong Collection, Mekong Heroes, and Mekong Trends, with feedback from the Mekong Tourism Advisory Group (MeTAG) and via public-private partnership investment structure, led by UNWTO Affiliate Member Chameleon Strategies.
More information at: http://www.DestinationMekong.com
Read the rest here:
- The Covid-19 pandemic tests everyone's spiritual wellbeing, atheists and believers alike - NBC News - September 21st, 2020
- Author Shares Journey of Spiritual Discovery and Healing in New Book - GlobeNewswire - September 21st, 2020
- Assemblies of God (USA) Official Web Site | Reaping a Spiritual Harvest - AG News - September 21st, 2020
- Autumn equinox spiritual meaning: What is the meaning behind the autumnal equinox? - Express - September 21st, 2020
- One Thing I Ask of YHWH: Humility and the Spiritual Search - jewishboston.com - September 21st, 2020
- Special Online Event: Being In The Now - A Spiritual Perspective - Patch.com - September 21st, 2020
- New priests will spark a 'spiritual pandemic' - The Catholic Weekly - September 21st, 2020
- From the Pulpit: God with us in time of spiritual warfare - The Daily Times - September 21st, 2020
- Owusu Bempah gives detailed account of how things work in the spiritual realm - GhanaWeb - September 21st, 2020
- This Life: Spiritual poverty is the real problem - Sight Magazine - September 21st, 2020
- FEC Chair Says There's No Separation of Church and State, Calls 2020 Election a 'Spiritual War' - Newsweek - September 21st, 2020
- Beatification cause opened for spiritual son of Padre Pio - Catholic News Agency - September 21st, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: Find your serenity in these crazy days - Wicked Local Georgetown - September 21st, 2020
- Faith matters: Awaken the spiritual artist within | Lifestyle - thereporteronline.com - September 21st, 2020
- Leaders in Peace Building, Science, Mindfulness and Spirituality to Transmit the Experience of Peace to 40 Million People Across the Globe on... - September 21st, 2020
- Sultan Hanfareh Ali Mirah, the spiritual chief of the Afars, passed away - ethiopiaobserver.com - September 21st, 2020
- 350km from Lucknow, 'Bhagwati Van' to be the spiritual tourism hub in UP - Knocksense - September 21st, 2020
- Free the Mass! A Call to Spiritual Arms for the Right to Worship - National Catholic Register - September 21st, 2020
- A Maltese artists quest for the spiritual - Times of Malta - September 21st, 2020
- Faith Matters: We are coming into an era of spiritual awakening - New Haven Register - September 4th, 2020
- SPIRIT MATTERS: In matters of the spirit, spirituality matters - LaSalle News Tribune - September 4th, 2020
- Science And Spirituality Sing Together - Wisconsin Public Radio News - September 4th, 2020
- Guiding Light: Spirituality and morality - Free Press Journal - September 4th, 2020
- Spiritual Resiliency Trips in the Holy Land - kacc.nrmc.amedd.army.mil - September 4th, 2020
- Uzbek TV Urges Battle Against 'Spiritual Viruses' (Homosexuality And Feminism) Threatening The Nation - Radio Free Europe/ Radio Liberty - September 4th, 2020
- Harvest Moon spiritual meaning: What does the September Full Moon mean for you? - Express - September 4th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Lets hear it for our teachers - Wicked Local Norwood - September 4th, 2020
- Cardinal Parolin says there's a spiritual harmony between Francis and Benedict XVI - La Croix International - September 4th, 2020
- 'God Has Not Left Them': Operation Blessing and Others Offer Aid and Spiritual Hope for Laura Survivors - CBN News - September 4th, 2020
- Material and spiritual acts - Daily Pioneer - September 4th, 2020
- Serving those who serve others: behavioral health and spiritualitys role to encourage resiliency - United States Army - September 4th, 2020
- Reawakening Of Pagan India And The Challenge It Can Pose To Abrahamic Worldviews: Part I - Swarajya - September 4th, 2020
- Review: Essay collection Vesper Flights reveres beauty, birds and spirituality - San Francisco Chronicle - August 31st, 2020
- God Is Dead. So Is the Office. These People Want to Save Both - The New York Times - August 31st, 2020
- Safety and spirituality: Youth groups plan to meet in-person during pandemic - Roanoke Times - August 31st, 2020
- Spiritual Coffee and the Path toward Wokeness - Patheos - August 31st, 2020
- Republican National Convention kicks off with a near spiritual devotion to Trump - CNBC - August 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus Lockdowns Are Creating a Mental Health and Spiritual Crisis - The National Interest - August 31st, 2020
- They also serve who only stand and wait: Ethical and spiritual response to the covid-19 pandemic - The BMJ - The BMJ - August 31st, 2020
- Spiritual advisor says Keith Nelson is resigned to fact he will be executed Friday - WTHITV.com - August 31st, 2020
- Bushido Blade Spiritual Successor Die By The Blade Heads To Kickstarter For PS4, PS5 - PlayStation Universe - August 31st, 2020
- Korra's Spiritual Connection Goes Beyond Her Role as the Avatar - CBR - Comic Book Resources - August 31st, 2020
- Spiritual Side: Learn about services and events of local houses of worship - The West Volusia Beacon - August 31st, 2020
- Pope Francis spiritually united with pilgrims honouring Our Lady of Czestochowa - Vatican News - August 31st, 2020
- Remembering Richard The Rev Ricci: Pitt alum and spiritual force behind Night of the Living Dead - University of Pittsburgh The Pitt News - August 31st, 2020
- Without Reservation: Awakening to Native American Spirituality 08/25 by BITEradio me | Spirituality - BlogTalkRadio - August 31st, 2020
- OPINION/SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: Neither snow nor rain nor politics - Wicked Local Fall River - August 31st, 2020
- A Spiritual Walk: What is your perfect vision for healing the world? - New Baltimore Voice Newspapers - August 10th, 2020
- ISSUES OF FAITH: The spirituality of the ordinary - Peninsula Daily News - August 10th, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: It is our religious calling - News - Wicked Local Plymouth - August 10th, 2020
- The Orthodox Female Spiritual Leader Working with Converts - Jewish Journal - August 10th, 2020
- As coronavirus curtails travel, backyard pilgrimages become the way to a spiritual journey - The Conversation US - August 10th, 2020
- For Ottessa Moshfegh, Novel Writing Is a Spiritual Experience - The Nation - August 10th, 2020
- The role of kindness in the spiritual life - Aleteia IT - August 10th, 2020
- Why Mennonites, Lutherans and other say farming has a spiritual side - Deseret News - August 10th, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: A trip to the movies - Milford Daily News - August 10th, 2020
- The pandemic can be more than purgatory. It can be a time of deep spiritual formation. - The Dallas Morning News - August 10th, 2020
- Police violence meets spiritual resistance in the struggle over DAPL - NationofChange - August 10th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Don't Throw Your Own Pity Party and Attend - Dallasweekly - August 10th, 2020
- Spiritual Reflections: It has been a season of humility - SW News Media - August 10th, 2020
- Live: Raising Emotionally and Spiritually Healthy Bochurim - Anash.org - Good News - August 10th, 2020
- KATHIE DEASY Ironclad sparks ideas of being armed in spiritual iron - Port Arthur News - The Port Arthur News - August 10th, 2020
- '90 Day Fianc': Kalani and Asuelu Reveal Their Rare, Unconventional Shared Spiritual Belief in New Sneak Peek - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 10th, 2020
- Adult faith formation thriving although different due to COVID - Baptist News Global - August 10th, 2020
- As coronavirus curtails travel, backyard pilgrimages become the way to a spiritual journey - The Wilton Bulletin - August 10th, 2020
- New Book Offers Much Needed Spiritual Nourishment to Caregivers - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- National webinar on "How to manage stress through science and spirituality" organized - Nagpur News - August 10th, 2020
- Ayala: San Antonios little-known spiritual forest will be preserved in perpetuity - San Antonio Express-News - August 10th, 2020
- Health First's Pastoral Care Teams Turn to Technology to Deliver Spiritual Care and Compassion - SpaceCoastDaily.com - August 10th, 2020
- Katy Perry said she and Orlando Bloom bound by 'spiritual evolution' - Insider - INSIDER - August 10th, 2020
- Global Spiritual Forum The Island - The Island.lk - August 10th, 2020
- From the Archive: Going to a spiritual place in Barry - Barry and District News - August 10th, 2020
- Suikoden Creators On Making A Spiritual Follow-Up To The Classic JRPG - GameSpot - August 10th, 2020
- Why Irans highest spiritual chief Khamenei began a Twitter account in Hindi, know the motive - Pledge Times - August 10th, 2020
- City Lights: Sit with Yuri Schwebler's Spiritual Art or Probe Your Psyche with Project Implicit - Washington City Paper - August 10th, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: A trip to the movies - Wicked Local Sharon - August 9th, 2020
- World Music Innovators Turning Jewels Into Water Fuse The Spiritual With Digital On Their New Album - Recording Academy | Grammys - August 9th, 2020
- Ram Temple a great place to take plunge into the pool of spirituality, will promote spiritual tourism, says Tourism Minister Prahlad Singh Patel - New... - August 9th, 2020
- Small Changes Can Lead to Big Results | Spiritual and Physical Wellness - ChicagoNow - August 9th, 2020
- Life and Death Meet in Spiritual Arrog Adventure - GameIndustry.com - August 9th, 2020