There is, obviously, an increasing awareness that out of control commercialism is threatening life on our planet. Less obvious is the damage that commercialism has done to the arts. When I sound the alarm that art has been pushed out of daily life and the marketplace, I draw a blank not always, but often.
When I try to say it matters that art and artists are less visible, or invisible, many people do not care. What does it matter if real artists cannot make a living, starve, cannot produce the work of quality that comes from long practice and support?
Countless artists, writers and thinkers have bemoaned the degradation of art. Here is Matthew Fox in Original Blessing: The loss of cosmos in religion has been hastened by the loss of those who birth cosmos, namely the artists in our midst. With this loss, neurosis has increased in society.
Matthew Fox writes elsewhere in this creative book, If we considered artists as workers, we would put 15% of the population to work today making our lives more erotic for us by music, by clowning, by storytelling, by tumbling and juggling in our midst.
When I taught art in the alternative high school here in Juneau, I found that a high percentage of the troubled students were artistic. Their gifts are not valued. But society needs people who are right-brained and creative.
Commercialism is a serious problem in all the arts, but it is worse in visual art. Consider just two careers that have sustained artists and now have been taken from them, sign painting and graphic design. I did both of them and cannot imagine having survived without them. Most computer technicians are not artists. The ads they produce are annoying and unlovely, just one example of the consequences of non-artists doing artistic work.
It appears to be easy to pretend to be a visual artist. In New York and other big-time art centers, there is a shocking lack of quality in much of the art. The art is commercial, gimmicky, and will never stand the test of time. Real artists have been banished from the cities to the outskirts because they cant pay the rent, so thriving bohemian centers (like potentially Juneau!) are few and far between.
The real artist is spiritual. Real artists know their gifts come from God and relay through their art some kind of message, even if only love of the beauty of nature. Love of the beauty of nature and humanity is what we need to save our planet. People talk about this, but no one can express it better than an artist. To save our planet, we need our artists.
I am going to quote from Don McLeans immortal song about Van Gogh: Now I understand What you tried to say to me And how you suffered for your sanity And how you tried to set them free They would not listen, they did not know how Perhaps they will listen now.
I am going to quote from an art manifesto I wrote in 1980: The arts are the international language of the spirit. If the governments of the world do not listen to the prophetic voice of the artist, the earth as we know it is doomed. The artist is sensitive to the voice of nature. We hear her loud and clear. She is in torment. She is angry. We intend to alert the world to the cry of nature.
Common wisdom throughout the ages says that artists have a different vision. The spiritual vision of artists is needed for the good of the community, but it is squelched by commercialism which rewards and promotes non-artists without vision.
The Episcopalian Book of Common Prayer mentions artists: Be ever present with your servants who seek through art and music to perfect the praises offered by your people on earth; and grant to them ever more glimpses of your beauty
Artists since the dawn of civilization have espoused simple, life-sustaining virtues such as beauty and love. Commercialism has worked to silence artists. We are in mortal danger now. We need to wake up.
Perhaps they will listen now.
Page Bridges is a member of Holy Trinity Episcopal Church. Living Growing is a weekly column written by different authors and submitted by local clergy and spiritual leaders.
See the original post here:
- Why "Business Meets Spirituality" Is an Important Leadership Trend For 2020 - Thrive Global - January 19th, 2020
- The Fall of Spirituality: The Blood-Soaked History of the Cathars - Ancient Origins - January 19th, 2020
- In this art gallery, conversations about religion and spirituality are welcome - The Oakland Press - January 19th, 2020
- A Spirituality of Aging: Deepening our Wisdom Years - CatholicPhilly.com - January 19th, 2020
- Spirituality and values in the Disney universe - Evangelical Focus - January 19th, 2020
- The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s spiritual influence remembered in Steubenville | News, Sports, Jobs - The Steubenville Herald-Star - January 19th, 2020
- 5 Reasons to jumpstart your spiritual reading in 2020 - Aleteia EN - January 19th, 2020
- Big Freedia Will Bring Bounce Tunes, Spiritual Experience When She Takes the Stage at Paper Tiger - San Antonio Current - January 19th, 2020
- Meaningful Conversations Chapel Hill looks for the spiritual basis of forgiveness - The Daily Tar Heel - January 19th, 2020
- Liverpool players spiritual preparations and how club respectfully honours faith behind the scenes - Liverpool Echo - January 19th, 2020
- Local Cantors are 'The Spiritual Caretakers of the Congregation' - The Jewish News - January 19th, 2020
- The 12 Best Mayan Sites to See in Guatemala - Fodor's Travel - January 19th, 2020
- Father beat children secluded on Ruinerwold farm with "spiritual sword": Report - NL Times - January 19th, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: What will your legacy be? - Wicked Local - January 19th, 2020
- The Ummah Chroma to Launch Spiritual & Meditative Installation at Het Nieuwe Instituut - HYPEBEAST - January 19th, 2020
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Pray for the president's spiritual aligning with Scripture - Anniston Star - January 19th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: 2020 vision for the New Year | Eden Prairie Opinion - SW News Media - January 19th, 2020
- The Shepherd and the Shrink | Dexter duo launches podcast combing spirituality and psychology - thesuntimesnews.com - January 12th, 2020
- Spirituality Has Long Been Erased From Art History. Heres Why Its Having a Resurgence Today - artnet News - January 12th, 2020
- Expert says medical professionals need better training on spiritual care - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - January 12th, 2020
- Its possible to be spiritual without following religious practices - Hindustan Times - January 12th, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Book Deals: January 8, 2020 - Publishers Weekly - January 12th, 2020
- The history of scientists dismissing spiritual experiences - The Week Magazine - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual New Year's resolutions - The News Star - January 12th, 2020
- Dubais Demand for Niche Spiritual Retreats on the Rise - Skift - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual Medium Yesenia Berbiar Aims To Heal Hearts By Connecting With Departed Family Members - KHTS Radio - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual editorial: Last year in the rear view mirror - NorthcentralPa.com - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual Alphabet Soup of Death and Dying - Thrive Global - January 12th, 2020
- KEEPING THE FAITH: Local spiritual leaders respond to recent national violence - Evening News and Tribune - January 12th, 2020
- Faith and Values: Look outward for spiritual growth in the new year - The Spokesman-Review - January 12th, 2020
- GOD SQUAD: Spiritual New Years resolutions - CTPost - January 12th, 2020
- Bill Tinsley: Develop a physically and spiritually healthy heart - StarNewsOnline.com - January 12th, 2020
- Czech out Svickova Na Smetane and get spiritual about bread: this week's food events in Eastern Iowa - The Gazette - January 12th, 2020
- The spiritual meaning of the word - magviral - January 12th, 2020
- I have faced the roughest time in my spiritual walk, Rose Muhando - The Standard - January 12th, 2020
- Blackbird, Regnum Christi, and the Legacy of Spiritual Abuse - Patheos - January 12th, 2020
- Music And Spirituality At 'Rising Song' Event - Jewish Week - January 5th, 2020
- Divine grace found in messiness of imperfect life - Times Colonist - January 5th, 2020
- Shamanism in Nepal: Inside the practices and spiritual world of Jhakri - The Independent - January 5th, 2020
- The three most important walks of existence: spirituality, relationships, and career success | By Judith Nwadigo - Qwenu! - January 5th, 2020
- Oddity is an Earthbound spiritual successor that used to be a fan sequel - PC Gamer - January 5th, 2020
- GUEST COLUMN: The spiritual pleasure (and poetry) of flowers - Wicked Local - January 5th, 2020
- Mother Teresa's former spiritual advisor accused of raping boy more than 1000 times - LGBTQ Nation - January 5th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: What will your legacy be? - Wicked Local Westwood - January 5th, 2020
- Expanding the physical and spiritual in Swansea space - Fall River Herald News - January 5th, 2020
- Fruit Of The Spirit, According To Galatians 5 - YourTango - January 5th, 2020
- Practices and spiritual world of Jhakri in Nepal - Khabarhub - January 5th, 2020
- Messiahs Mehdi Dehbi on Authenticity of Character Coming From Within - Variety - January 5th, 2020
- Spirituality | Definition of Spirituality by Merriam-Webster - December 30th, 2019
- Spirituality - December 30th, 2019
- What is spirituality? | Spirituality | ReachOut Australia - December 30th, 2019
- Homage to Vishvesha Teertha: Monk who did not confine spirituality to his room, but embraced one and all - MyNation - December 30th, 2019
- Spiritually Speaking: Where is your storm home? | Eden Prairie Opinion - SW News Media - December 30th, 2019
- Metro Exodus is the spiritual successor to Stalker we might never get - PC Gamer - December 30th, 2019
- 'Spiritual realization must to face modern days issues' - Deccan Herald - December 30th, 2019
- Your Spiritual Year in Review: Looking Back to Look Forward to Growth - Patheos - December 30th, 2019
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: To give like the magi - News - Wicked Local - December 30th, 2019
- Demi Lovato Celebrates Her Spiritual 'Rebirth' With New Tattoo: See The Ink - iHeartRadio - December 30th, 2019
- Comedian Geoffrey Asmus plans to get spiritual, swear, and record an album at Sisyphus - City Pages - December 30th, 2019
- The Spiritual Disunity of the West - The Atlantic - December 7th, 2019
- Reading the Signs, Spreading the Word: New England Spirituality Publishers - Publishers Weekly - December 7th, 2019
- The NFL tried to fine the Saints' Demario Davis for his 'Man of God' headband. Here's what happened next - Yahoo Sports - December 7th, 2019
- How the super-rich harness their spiritual side (with a little help from LA spiritualists with lengthy waiting lists) - Telegraph.co.uk - December 7th, 2019
- Finding Your Way Without a Spiritual GPS - Patheos - December 7th, 2019
- Get Your Mind, Body And Soul Ready For 2020 With These 7 Spiritual Gifts - Essence - December 7th, 2019
- Renovating your spiritual home - The Irish Catholic - December 7th, 2019
- On the Spiritual and Physical Boobytraps of a Creative Life - Talkhouse - December 7th, 2019
- Tanya, your road to spiritual health - Arutz Sheva - December 7th, 2019
- A Survey on the Integration of Spiritual Care in Medical Schools from | AMEP - Dove Medical Press - December 7th, 2019
- [LETTER] The truth about spiritual warfare - Newcastle Advertiser - December 7th, 2019
- Spiritually Speaking: Surrender to peace in this war on Christmas - Wicked Local Walpole - December 7th, 2019
- Mystery novel blends spiritual with the procedural - Daily Journal - December 7th, 2019
- Spirituality: If you stick with Jesus, he'll keep you on course - Norwich Bulletin - November 22nd, 2019
- Spirituality is resolution to every problem: Veena - Daily Pioneer - November 22nd, 2019
- Overcoming Spiritual Programming: The Journey From Fear To Freedom | Spiritual Freedom - Patheos - November 22nd, 2019
- Spiritual transformations in the middling years - Global Sisters Report - November 22nd, 2019
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: December 2019 - Publishers Weekly - November 22nd, 2019
- A Spiritual Tour of Cuba - Post News Group - November 22nd, 2019
- This is spiritually more beneficial than fasting, according to St. John of the Cross - Aleteia EN - November 22nd, 2019
- Spiritual warfare and pornography - Arlington Catholic Herald - November 22nd, 2019