| 3 min read | by Doug Marrin, firstname.lastname@example.org |
Do spirituality and psychology have anything in common? Or, as has been commonly thought, are they at opposite ends of the spectrum? If we favor one, must the other be excluded? Its easy to feel tugged between the two.
However, as conflicting as the two disciplines can sometimes seem, there is a psychologist and pastor in Dexter who believe the two approaches to the human condition have much in common and can be brought together to work in powerful ways for our wellbeing.
Meet The Shepherd and the Shrink: Psychologist Dr. MartyFletcher of Renew Hope Counseling in Dexter and Dr. Matt Hook Senior Pastor ofDexter United Methodist Church. The two have teamed up for a podcast (TheShepherd and the Shrink) where psychology meets spirituality.
I caught up with the two just before the taping of their inaugural podcast which releases today, Sunday, Jan. 1, 2020.
The idea for The Shepherd and the Shrink is that weregoing to bring psychology together with spirituality and dig deep into both ofthose so people can make lifestyle changes, says Marty. It will also bring tolight the communitys mental health crisis.
We have a mental health crisis right now, he continues. While our culture is prospering in material goods and lifestyle, and although these material measures are improving, our mental health is getting worse and worse. We have a 30% increase in suicides since the year 2000. Other data points show that we have a spiritual crisis of meaning. Anxiety disorders are up almost 20% and depression also keeps going up.
Spirituality is one of those ambiguous terms that take on different meanings depending on who youre talking to. It can range from a reference to all things unexplained by science to cloaked language for you should go to church. The term is used across a broad spectrum of contexts.
In my mind, spirituality means connectedness, not a religion, explains Matt. I can go out on a starry night, look up at the sky, and feel wow with a connectedness to the universe. Thats spiritual. When were specifically talking Christian spirituality, it is connectedness with God through Jesus Christ.
The seeds for The Shepherd and the Shrink were planted sixyears ago when the duo met. Marty, the clinical psychologist got into aconversation with Matt, the spiritual Christian pastor, and the two quicklydeveloped a friendship with open and candid conversations. What they discoveredwas that psychology and spirituality were not separate disciplines in the sensethat in choosing one you must exclude the other. Over the course of a fewyears, the two came to understand that psychology and spirituality were twocomponents of a persons overall wholeness, and one couldnt be treated withoutaddressing the other.
What was amazing to me was to hear (Marty) describe howpsychology repeats what is already in the Bible, says Matt. For those of uswho grew up Christian and arent so sure about the faith versus science thing,this was such amazing news to realize its not either/or.
Integrating psychology and Christian spirituality can be very reassuring, says Marty without skipping a beat. People are longing for the transcendent right now. You can see it by the movement into things like UFO shows, New Age type practices, and even zombies. Sadly, Christianity has seemed to have lost a lot of its mysticism and spirituality. Christians need to return back to the transcendent nature and life-changing transformation of Christianity, not just give it lip-service and then go about your life.
The purpose of the podcast is simple: The two men want to help people.
We are in a crisis of loneliness at epidemic proportions,says Matt. Were told it is worse than heart disease that comes from smokingtwo packs a day. Loneliness is that devastating for people.
I believe that theres a real need for this type of thing, adds Marty. Eighty percent of people who need treatment for mental health wont get it mainly because of the stigma. This podcast is mental health help that is not stigmatizing.
I sat in on the first taping of The Shepherd and the Shrinkpodcast upstairs in the Red Brick. Owner Pete Landrum has also jumped on boardwith the cause by donating the space to be converted into a makeshift studio.
Marty and Matt conversed easily and freely. It was obviousthey have had many conversations with each other already as well as several infront of the DUMC congregation on Sunday mornings.
The Shepherd and the Shrink can be followed on their Facebook page.
Here is Episode #1 from The Shepherd and the Shrink
- On the spirituality of quarantine - The Christian Century - May 15th, 2020
- Motherhood and spirituality - The Catholic Sun - May 15th, 2020
- Eustace Was a Dragon All Along: Aslan and Spiritual Growth in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - tor.com - May 15th, 2020
- The spiritual modernist and iconoclast - Times of Malta - May 15th, 2020
- Fight and win the spiritual battle | Faith | frontiersman.com - Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman - May 15th, 2020
- Launch of Center for Spiritual Imagination hailed as 'exactly what is needed in these times' - Episcopal News Service - May 15th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: We all must do our part - Wicked Local - May 15th, 2020
- AMERICAN THEATRE | Tom Key: A Spiritual Connection - American Theatre - May 15th, 2020
- In It Together! 05/14 by Angel Talk Cafe | Spirituality - BlogTalkRadio - May 15th, 2020
- Army Chaplains Getting Creative in Helping Soldiers with Personal, Emotional and Spiritual Challenges - CBN News - May 15th, 2020
- Doctor's Orders: The value of purpose and spiritual health - Daily Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Wong Kar-Wais In the Mood for Love Spiritual Sequel Back on Track with New Filming Plans - IndieWire - May 15th, 2020
- Which qualities of Lord Hanuman should be in a Spiritual Master? - Times Now - May 15th, 2020
- What Is The Spiritual Meaning Of Angel Numbers 1010 - YourTango - May 15th, 2020
- Front-line workers receive 'spiritual' boost with blessing of the hands - Long Island Catholic - May 15th, 2020
- I provide spiritual care at a Seattle hospital. Here's what that means during the coronavirus pandemic - KUOW News and Information - May 15th, 2020
- The beauty of spiritual motherhood, according to John Paul II - Aleteia IT - May 15th, 2020
- Free Webinar: Spiritual Discovery: How you can better the world" - Patch.com - May 15th, 2020
- Just Call Me Pastor: Strengths of head, heart and hand - La Grande Observer - May 15th, 2020
- The spirituality of science - Economic Times - May 9th, 2020
- Pope warns against spiritual mafias that blind the soul to God - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - May 9th, 2020
- Spiritual Care at the Front Lines of the Pandemic - Sojourners - May 9th, 2020
- The Amazing Health Benefits of Spiritual Wellness - Lasentinel - May 9th, 2020
- Spiritual editorial: Jesus meets us wherever we are - NorthcentralPa.com - May 9th, 2020
- Spiritually speaking: The inherent power of humility | Religion - The Philadelphia Tribune - May 9th, 2020
- Our emotional, spiritual, financial and physical health depends on safely reopening Washington now - The Reflector - May 9th, 2020
- Abandoned but never forgotten Millmoor the spiritual home of the Millers - Yorkshire Post - May 9th, 2020
- Word of the Week: Yogi, a word for the spiritually wise - Hindustan Times - May 9th, 2020
- Spirituality at the core of sax greats sound - Mail and Guardian - May 3rd, 2020
- Coronavirus Is Good News for the Wellness Industry - VICE UK - May 3rd, 2020
- What does it mean to be spiritually blind? - Journal Review - May 3rd, 2020
- Hello, this is... podcast | Gaur Gopal Das on spirituality in times of a global pandemic - Moneycontrol.com - May 3rd, 2020
- Hello! This is... | Spirituality in times of a global pandemic - Moneycontrol.com - May 3rd, 2020
- Health and compassion for the mind and spirit - Vashon-Maury Island Beachcomber - May 3rd, 2020
- In this episode, The Filter taps into the spiritual - Flatland - May 3rd, 2020
- Spirituality and Reading.. On The Hangout Hour - hcam.tv - May 3rd, 2020
- The Spiritual Treadmill - The Sunday Guardian - May 3rd, 2020
- Pentecostals and the spiritual war against coronavirus in Africa - The Conversation Africa - May 3rd, 2020
- With knowledge from past outbreaks, many Indigenous people return to traditional medicines - Winnipeg Free Press - May 3rd, 2020
- Plan ahead for how you will continue working on your spiritual life once the lockdown is lifted - Aleteia EN - May 3rd, 2020
- What spiritual retreats can teach us about the challenges of lockdown - The Conversation UK - May 3rd, 2020
- Building Spiritual Readiness in the Time of COVID-19 - United States Army - April 15th, 2020
- NCR readers share how they keep spiritually grounded, part three - National Catholic Reporter - April 15th, 2020
- Stay Safe by Practicing Religion and Spirituality from Home - Merrillfotonews - April 15th, 2020
- COVID-19 and the Spiritual Life | Dale M. Coulter - First Things - April 15th, 2020
- Spiritual Health Matters in the COVID-19 Crisis - MedicineNet - April 15th, 2020
- Chaplains and Spiritual Care in Hospitals During the Coronavirus Pandemic - The New Yorker - April 15th, 2020
- Special Report: Welcome to the New Age of Spiritual Luxury - Highsnobiety - April 15th, 2020
- Peace and Spirituality in Times of Fear and Gossip - RiverBender.com - April 15th, 2020
- Spiritual Well-Being, Your Connection With The Superior Force Of Our Universe - The Costa Rica News - April 15th, 2020
- Baptism works slowly and spirally - Global Sisters Report - April 15th, 2020
- SPIRIT MATTERS: The earth quaked, physically and spiritually - MyWebTimes.com - April 15th, 2020
- The Spiritual Person's Guide to Drinking Through the Coronavirus - Patheos - April 15th, 2020
- Salvation Army creates emotional and spiritual hotline during pandemic - KIMT 3 - April 15th, 2020
- WOSTER: Trying to replicate the spiritual blessings from afar - Rapid City Journal - April 15th, 2020
- A spiritual walk through Holy Week - The Oakland Press - April 15th, 2020
- BAVO, campus ministry host 'Trauma and Spirituality' discussion virtually - Observer Online - March 31st, 2020
- There's A Spirit In My Spirituality - Thrive Global - March 31st, 2020
- Spirituality and social distancing: Amsterdam church offers drive-up prayer - The Daily Gazette - March 31st, 2020
- A Spiritual Walk: Creating a new vision for our world is how we rise - Dearborn Press and Guide - March 31st, 2020
- Blood Drives and Online Religious Services: Spirituality in the Time of COVID-19 - WYSO - March 31st, 2020
- Epistles Of The EndTime, Part 3: Spiritual Sluggishness - Modern Ghana - March 31st, 2020
- Album Review: IGORRR Spirituality and Distortion - Metal Injection.net - March 31st, 2020
- How Spirituality and Jewish Values Informed Lucas Asher's Business Success - The Jewish Voice - March 31st, 2020
- 'Four Last Things' Spiritual Successor 'The Procession to Calvary' Hits Desktop April 9th with Mobile Versions in the Works - Touch Arcade - March 31st, 2020
- Online group meets regularly to pray the Rosary to nourish spiritual and mental needs of community - Catholic Leader - March 31st, 2020
- 'People Are Coming to Us Saying, I Need Hope': Fighting on the Front Lines of Spiritual Awakening - Christianheadlines.com - March 31st, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: April 2020 - Publishers Weekly - March 31st, 2020
- Why Donald Trump is a threat to the United States' spiritual well-being - ABC News - March 31st, 2020
- Bishop tests negative, urges all to care for physical and spiritual health - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - March 31st, 2020
- Making Sense of Meditation: Religion and Spirituality - Psychiatric Times - March 26th, 2020
- Students report on the impact of COVID-19 on religion and spirituality - USC News - March 26th, 2020
- How Deepak Chopra Is Using This Time For A Spiritual Reset - mindbodygreen.com - March 26th, 2020
- David Carlson: The spiritual challenge of the coronavirus - Daily Journal - March 26th, 2020
- spiritual connections - The Batavian - March 26th, 2020
- Teachers & Healers: Carr mixes medicine and spirituality with his two professions - Huron Daily Tribune - March 26th, 2020
- These are the most spiritual travel destinations in the world - Travel Weekly - March 26th, 2020
- Spiritual Life: Leave anxiety behind and be open to today - Blue Mountain Eagle - March 26th, 2020
- Post-reformation theology of the priesthood influenced abuse crisis, author says - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - March 26th, 2020
- Spirituality | Definition of Spirituality by Merriam-Webster - March 16th, 2020