What is the secret behind the immense popularity of the elephant-headed, pot-bellied, broken-tusked god who travels on a mouse? What does he signify? Ganesha is believed to be the lord of success who blesses people with their desired objectives.
He is widely revered as the remover of obstacles, the patron of the arts and sciences, and the god of intellect and wisdom. As the god of beginnings, he is worshipped at the start of every enterprise, rite or ceremony.
Ganesha signifies the goal of perfection that we are all seeking. The byproducts are unimaginable success and happiness. Every little detail conveys a deep concept that we can integrate in our lives to achieve our aspirations.
Legend says that Goddess Parvati created Ganesha from the turmeric paste she used while bathing. She then infused life into the mould and set him to guard the door while she went in to bathe. When Lord Shiva returned, Ganesha did not allow him to enter. Enraged at being denied entry to his own home, Lord Shiva beheaded Ganesha.
When Parvati came to know about the incident, she was heartbroken. She asked for him to be brought back to life and that he should always be worshipped before any other god. Shiva agreed to both conditions. He replaced her sons head with that of the first living being his troops encountered. Thus the elephant-headed Ganesha was born. Till this day, Ganesha has pride of place in the Indian customs and traditions. All auspicious occasions and new ventures begin with a prayer to Ganesha.
It is said that sage Vyasa requested Ganesha to write the Mahabharata as he composed it. Ganesha agreed on the condition that Vyasa would recite the epic continuously. Vyasa put down a counter-stipulation that Ganesha must understand every verse dictated. When Vyasa needed a break he would compose a difficult verse that gave him the much-needed respite! Popular legend says it took them three years of continuous effort to complete the epic.
Lord Shiva represents the Spirit, the life-giving Force. Ganesha is symbolic of a perfected Soul. He also shows the way to that exalted state.Lord Ganeshas head, the largest biological head, denotes the immense wisdom of a person of perfection. Wisdom comes when one reflects upon the knowledge gained from external sources. Ganeshas large ears show receptivity to new ideas and concepts. An open mind is the first step to obtaining wisdom.
Emerging from the Lords head is the elephant trunk. The trunk depicts a well-developed intellect that arises out of wisdom. The trunk can uproot a tree as well as pick a needle from a haystack. Similarly, the intellect is of two kinds, gross and subtle. The gross intellect discriminates between pairs of opposites in the world; black and white, hard and soft, easy and difficult. The subtle intellect, on the other hand, differentiates between right and wrong, permanent and impermanent, higher and lower. It is colloquially called the conscience.
In an enlightened person, both gross and subtle intellects are well developed. Such a person has clarity of thinking that enables him to negotiate the challenges of life. He also has a clear sense of right and wrong that helps steer him to the Divine. Choices become unambiguous and life becomes a lot simpler. Without clarity of thought, our worldview gets confused and coloured by our own prejudices and preconceptions.
One of the key attributes of a perfected Soul is that he has risen above likes and dislikes, and is unaffected by the pairs of opposites in the world. The joys and sorrows, the victories and losses do not topple him. He deals with life as a sportsperson plays a sport, understanding that in the end, it is only a game. This transcendence over the pairs of opposites is indicated by Lord Ganesha having one tusk broken.
When we rise above the ups and downs of life, we develop the capacity to stomach the challenges that life throws at us. This is depicted by Lord Ganeshas enormous stomach. One who attains the supreme state has the strength to remain untouched by even the greatest setbacks. Ganesha's posture with one foot on the ground and the other folded up conveys that while we need to operate in the world there must be a constant alignment with Atman, the Spirit. Whatever we do, there must be an unwavering focus on the higher goal. Without this focus, it is impossible to even succeed in the world.
The food at the feet of Lord Ganesha symbolises material wealth and power. The world amply rewards those who live a life of service and sacrifice. Those who turn spiritual acquire merit in their respective fields of activity and seldom go unacknowledged. They command the resources of the world, and earn fame and fortune even though they may not desire it.
The mouse as the Lords mode of transport magnifies the challenge that a spiritual person faces when trying to communicate the knowledge of the infinite Self through the finite equipment of body, mind and intellect. The mouse by the side of Ganesha represents desire. Just as the mouse is omnivorous, desire is all-consuming. It is never satisfied. Fulfil one desire and more pop up in its place. We fall prey to desire and remain subservient to it. An evolved person has complete mastery over desire. When desire is controlled by the intellect, what is an obsession, lust or craving transforms to aim, ambition and aspiration. This is far less stressful and you achieve the object of desire.
In his four hands, Lord Ganesha holds an axe, a rope, a modak (sweetened rice ball) and a lotus. The axe represents the annihilation of desire with the axe of spirituality. You need inner strength to overcome negativities. The rope is spiritual knowledge which helps us remove ourselves from the samsara, material world, that we are entrenched in.
The modak symbolises the happiness and joy a seeker derives from spiritual pursuit. And the lotus stands for that state of Self-Realisation that every human being aspires for, consciously or unconsciously. The lotus lives its entire life in dirty ponds, yet is untouched by it. Similarly, a person of Perfection lives in the world, interacts with it, enjoys life but remains untainted by identifying with the Self.
The occasion of Ganesh Chaturthi gives us, as spiritual aspirants, an opportunity to remember what Lord Ganesha stands for. A chance to reignite ourselves in the search for happiness.
Free live webinar on Ganeshasymbol of success & wisdom by Jaya Row on August 19, 6.30 to 7.30 pm, followed by Q&A. To register, WhatsApp 9820138429.
See the article here:
- The Covid-19 pandemic tests everyone's spiritual wellbeing, atheists and believers alike - NBC News - September 21st, 2020
- Author Shares Journey of Spiritual Discovery and Healing in New Book - GlobeNewswire - September 21st, 2020
- Assemblies of God (USA) Official Web Site | Reaping a Spiritual Harvest - AG News - September 21st, 2020
- Autumn equinox spiritual meaning: What is the meaning behind the autumnal equinox? - Express - September 21st, 2020
- One Thing I Ask of YHWH: Humility and the Spiritual Search - jewishboston.com - September 21st, 2020
- Special Online Event: Being In The Now - A Spiritual Perspective - Patch.com - September 21st, 2020
- New priests will spark a 'spiritual pandemic' - The Catholic Weekly - September 21st, 2020
- From the Pulpit: God with us in time of spiritual warfare - The Daily Times - September 21st, 2020
- Owusu Bempah gives detailed account of how things work in the spiritual realm - GhanaWeb - September 21st, 2020
- This Life: Spiritual poverty is the real problem - Sight Magazine - September 21st, 2020
- FEC Chair Says There's No Separation of Church and State, Calls 2020 Election a 'Spiritual War' - Newsweek - September 21st, 2020
- Beatification cause opened for spiritual son of Padre Pio - Catholic News Agency - September 21st, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: Find your serenity in these crazy days - Wicked Local Georgetown - September 21st, 2020
- Faith matters: Awaken the spiritual artist within | Lifestyle - thereporteronline.com - September 21st, 2020
- Leaders in Peace Building, Science, Mindfulness and Spirituality to Transmit the Experience of Peace to 40 Million People Across the Globe on... - September 21st, 2020
- Sultan Hanfareh Ali Mirah, the spiritual chief of the Afars, passed away - ethiopiaobserver.com - September 21st, 2020
- 350km from Lucknow, 'Bhagwati Van' to be the spiritual tourism hub in UP - Knocksense - September 21st, 2020
- Free the Mass! A Call to Spiritual Arms for the Right to Worship - National Catholic Register - September 21st, 2020
- A Maltese artists quest for the spiritual - Times of Malta - September 21st, 2020
- Faith Matters: We are coming into an era of spiritual awakening - New Haven Register - September 4th, 2020
- SPIRIT MATTERS: In matters of the spirit, spirituality matters - LaSalle News Tribune - September 4th, 2020
- Science And Spirituality Sing Together - Wisconsin Public Radio News - September 4th, 2020
- Guiding Light: Spirituality and morality - Free Press Journal - September 4th, 2020
- Spiritual Resiliency Trips in the Holy Land - kacc.nrmc.amedd.army.mil - September 4th, 2020
- Uzbek TV Urges Battle Against 'Spiritual Viruses' (Homosexuality And Feminism) Threatening The Nation - Radio Free Europe/ Radio Liberty - September 4th, 2020
- Harvest Moon spiritual meaning: What does the September Full Moon mean for you? - Express - September 4th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Lets hear it for our teachers - Wicked Local Norwood - September 4th, 2020
- Cardinal Parolin says there's a spiritual harmony between Francis and Benedict XVI - La Croix International - September 4th, 2020
- 'God Has Not Left Them': Operation Blessing and Others Offer Aid and Spiritual Hope for Laura Survivors - CBN News - September 4th, 2020
- Material and spiritual acts - Daily Pioneer - September 4th, 2020
- Serving those who serve others: behavioral health and spiritualitys role to encourage resiliency - United States Army - September 4th, 2020
- Reawakening Of Pagan India And The Challenge It Can Pose To Abrahamic Worldviews: Part I - Swarajya - September 4th, 2020
- Review: Essay collection Vesper Flights reveres beauty, birds and spirituality - San Francisco Chronicle - August 31st, 2020
- God Is Dead. So Is the Office. These People Want to Save Both - The New York Times - August 31st, 2020
- Safety and spirituality: Youth groups plan to meet in-person during pandemic - Roanoke Times - August 31st, 2020
- Spiritual Coffee and the Path toward Wokeness - Patheos - August 31st, 2020
- Republican National Convention kicks off with a near spiritual devotion to Trump - CNBC - August 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus Lockdowns Are Creating a Mental Health and Spiritual Crisis - The National Interest - August 31st, 2020
- They also serve who only stand and wait: Ethical and spiritual response to the covid-19 pandemic - The BMJ - The BMJ - August 31st, 2020
- Spiritual advisor says Keith Nelson is resigned to fact he will be executed Friday - WTHITV.com - August 31st, 2020
- Bushido Blade Spiritual Successor Die By The Blade Heads To Kickstarter For PS4, PS5 - PlayStation Universe - August 31st, 2020
- Korra's Spiritual Connection Goes Beyond Her Role as the Avatar - CBR - Comic Book Resources - August 31st, 2020
- Spiritual Side: Learn about services and events of local houses of worship - The West Volusia Beacon - August 31st, 2020
- Pope Francis spiritually united with pilgrims honouring Our Lady of Czestochowa - Vatican News - August 31st, 2020
- Remembering Richard The Rev Ricci: Pitt alum and spiritual force behind Night of the Living Dead - University of Pittsburgh The Pitt News - August 31st, 2020
- Without Reservation: Awakening to Native American Spirituality 08/25 by BITEradio me | Spirituality - BlogTalkRadio - August 31st, 2020
- OPINION/SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: Neither snow nor rain nor politics - Wicked Local Fall River - August 31st, 2020
- A Spiritual Walk: What is your perfect vision for healing the world? - New Baltimore Voice Newspapers - August 10th, 2020
- ISSUES OF FAITH: The spirituality of the ordinary - Peninsula Daily News - August 10th, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: It is our religious calling - News - Wicked Local Plymouth - August 10th, 2020
- The Orthodox Female Spiritual Leader Working with Converts - Jewish Journal - August 10th, 2020
- As coronavirus curtails travel, backyard pilgrimages become the way to a spiritual journey - The Conversation US - August 10th, 2020
- For Ottessa Moshfegh, Novel Writing Is a Spiritual Experience - The Nation - August 10th, 2020
- The role of kindness in the spiritual life - Aleteia IT - August 10th, 2020
- Why Mennonites, Lutherans and other say farming has a spiritual side - Deseret News - August 10th, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: A trip to the movies - Milford Daily News - August 10th, 2020
- The pandemic can be more than purgatory. It can be a time of deep spiritual formation. - The Dallas Morning News - August 10th, 2020
- Police violence meets spiritual resistance in the struggle over DAPL - NationofChange - August 10th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Don't Throw Your Own Pity Party and Attend - Dallasweekly - August 10th, 2020
- Spiritual Reflections: It has been a season of humility - SW News Media - August 10th, 2020
- Live: Raising Emotionally and Spiritually Healthy Bochurim - Anash.org - Good News - August 10th, 2020
- KATHIE DEASY Ironclad sparks ideas of being armed in spiritual iron - Port Arthur News - The Port Arthur News - August 10th, 2020
- '90 Day Fianc': Kalani and Asuelu Reveal Their Rare, Unconventional Shared Spiritual Belief in New Sneak Peek - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 10th, 2020
- Adult faith formation thriving although different due to COVID - Baptist News Global - August 10th, 2020
- As coronavirus curtails travel, backyard pilgrimages become the way to a spiritual journey - The Wilton Bulletin - August 10th, 2020
- New Book Offers Much Needed Spiritual Nourishment to Caregivers - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- National webinar on "How to manage stress through science and spirituality" organized - Nagpur News - August 10th, 2020
- Ayala: San Antonios little-known spiritual forest will be preserved in perpetuity - San Antonio Express-News - August 10th, 2020
- Health First's Pastoral Care Teams Turn to Technology to Deliver Spiritual Care and Compassion - SpaceCoastDaily.com - August 10th, 2020
- Katy Perry said she and Orlando Bloom bound by 'spiritual evolution' - Insider - INSIDER - August 10th, 2020
- Global Spiritual Forum The Island - The Island.lk - August 10th, 2020
- From the Archive: Going to a spiritual place in Barry - Barry and District News - August 10th, 2020
- Suikoden Creators On Making A Spiritual Follow-Up To The Classic JRPG - GameSpot - August 10th, 2020
- Why Irans highest spiritual chief Khamenei began a Twitter account in Hindi, know the motive - Pledge Times - August 10th, 2020
- City Lights: Sit with Yuri Schwebler's Spiritual Art or Probe Your Psyche with Project Implicit - Washington City Paper - August 10th, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: A trip to the movies - Wicked Local Sharon - August 9th, 2020
- World Music Innovators Turning Jewels Into Water Fuse The Spiritual With Digital On Their New Album - Recording Academy | Grammys - August 9th, 2020
- Ram Temple a great place to take plunge into the pool of spirituality, will promote spiritual tourism, says Tourism Minister Prahlad Singh Patel - New... - August 9th, 2020
- Small Changes Can Lead to Big Results | Spiritual and Physical Wellness - ChicagoNow - August 9th, 2020
- Life and Death Meet in Spiritual Arrog Adventure - GameIndustry.com - August 9th, 2020