Swami Vivekananda was an all-renouncing monk. Like other worldly things, politics was also a thing from which he kept himself aloof.
So, he was never found to participate in any political activity of his time, let alone give voice to any political view. Not only that, he made it mandatory for members of his monastic organization to avoid politics in all forms.
Violations made one liable to be dismissed from the organisation. That the norm was quite stringent was evident from Niveditas dissociation from Ramakrishna Mission, consequent upon her links with politics.
It is important to remember in this context that Swamiji did not grant her Sannyasa in spite of her earnest entreaty. But then, Swamiji was an Acharya which meant he was a pathfinder-teacher of mankind.
Accordingly, by virtue of his deep sympathy for man, he shared his thoughts with us, making no exception to his ideas on politics. He had, however, little faith in politics since it often reduced men to brutes who in the name of politics rob others and fatten themselves by sucking the very life blood of the masses.
None could deny this, looking at what is presently happening at various levels.
Indeed, it is imaginable what, therefore, would have been his reaction had he seen politics suffused with lies and lust for power as it is today in this country.
Swamijis concern for India was born of his spiritual realisation that every speck of dust of India was holy. Sages walked its soil and had freely contributed for human progress with no sense of racial prejudice and discrimination. Their descendants pursued the same policy through the vicissitudes of history.
Humanity at large was benefited as a result and respected India for centuries. He gave an inkling of Indias exceptional character and contribution in his maiden speech at the Parliament of Religions in Chicago. He believed Indias survival with its originality was essential as an example for rest of the world to emulate. Hence, any nation overpowering and obliterating it politically was intolerable to him.
So, he said British should be ousted from India at any cost. Youths of the land drew lessons and inspiration from his works containing his patriotic ideas to fight for political freedom as well as for nation-building. This is why Swamiji became, posthumously, a political suspect to the British.
Real prosperity will not come out of moral degradation, for which, Swamiji saw, politics was responsible to a great extent. He said law, government, politics are phases, not final in any way, because the goal is beyond them. He thought politics had missed that goal as it did not care for mans inner growth and perfection.
Swamiji noticed that caste, creed and community-based politics was plaguing India fast. It was giving primacy to temple and mosque, which he had set aside as secondary details. Humanism was getting short shrift, diabolism gaining the social space perpetrating divisions between man and man. He was angry with politics because it was playing a foul game.
He articulated his anger thus: Now, in my little experience I have collected this knowledge that for all the devilry that religion is blamed with, religion is not at all in fault: no religion ever persecuted men, no religion ever burnt witches, no religion ever did any other things. What then incited people to do these things? Politics, but never religion; and if such politics takes the name of religion whose fault is that?
Essence of religion is spirituality. No religious person gets involved in evil deeds, bringing misery to others. Swamiji deemed religion in the light of his own spiritual experience as the greatest and the healthiest exercise that the human mind can have, for it is mans constitutional necessity. He said man is a compound of animality, humanity, and divinity.
The aim of religion is to manifest divinity in man, annihilating his evil tendencies, especially the tendency of jealousy which operates so mysteriously. Divisive politics of prejudice, jealousy and hatred are not palatable to one who is committed to spirituality which generates love and sympathy for all.
In view of this, Swamiji had said that the nation should be deluged with spiritual ideas before it gets flooded with political ideas, so that adverse politics could not incite people to do anything unethical. Swamiji saw socialism from a different angle, mixing spirituality with it.
In a speech before an audience of European intellectuals he said: In India we have social communism, with the light of Advaita ~ playing in and around; in Europe you are socially individualists, but your thought is dualistic, which is spiritual communism. Thus, the one consists of socialistic institutions, hedged in by individualistic thought, while the other is made up of individualist institutions, within the hedge of communistic thought.
Socialism as a political philosophy was then gathering momentum and earning popularity rapidly. Its waves had also reached India. Swamiji was well posted regarding its movements in the West. He found it to resemble some of his ideas on the uplift of the masses, and thereby chose to declare himself as a socialist.
He was particularly impressed by its concern for the proletariat. But he was unimpressed by it as well because he did not see it as a means for comprehensive alleviation of suffering, therefore called it half a loaf. Perceiving its innate debilities, he knew that socialism could not diminish the yawning chasm between the haves and have-nots.
Besides, he marked, there were differences among its promoters and leaders, culminating in diverse views. For instance, as Prof. Subodh Sengupta had written: Socialism, made popular in the modern world by Saint Simon (1760- 1825), Fourier (1772-1832) and Robert Owen (1804-1892), is a tricky concept of which no one has been able to give an acceptable definition. From each according to his ability and to each according to his needs, said Marx, but Lenin replaced it with From each according to his ability, to each according to his work.
Bernard Shaw rejects both the formulas. Swamijis study of socialistic movements was keen and supple, because of which he could correctly predict the revolutions of Russia and China, although they were non-industrial countries. His forecast was especially correct when he said in 1897 that India would achieve freedom in fifty years. Although unthinkable at the time, it happened exactly that way in 1947.
The world was literally topsy-turvy for fifty years after Swamijis demise in 1902. Inordinate ambition for power and mastery made international politics venomous. Imperialism, Fascism and Nazism perpetuated heinous crimes and genocide. Two bloody socialistic revolutions killed millions. Above all, two protracted world wars and a couple of atom bombs fetched misery beyond definition to mankind.
Long before these, Swamijis super-sensitive mind received premonitions of such unprecedented predicaments which urged him to tell us with a note of serious caution that the world was standing on the vortex of a volcano due to erupt any moment. To allay their dangers, he strikingly suggested international organizations when the concept of UNO and its sister organizations would have seemed wistful.
He said: Even in politics and sociology, problems that were national twenty years ago can no more be solved on national grounds only. They are assuming huge proportions, gigantic shapes. They can only be solved when looked at in the broader light of international grounds. International organizations, international combinations, international laws are the cry of the day.
Unforgetful of the fact that politics is an integral part of modern life, he knew it was impossible for people to do away with politics, for their life was bound with political compulsions indispensably. He, accordingly, did not ask householders to turn away from politics. He was innovative in this connection.
He said: I could not preach religion in England without showing the wonderful political changes Vedanta would bring. So, in India, social reform has to be preached by showing how much more a spiritual life the new system will bring; and politics has to be preached by showing how much it will improve the one thing that the nation wants ~ its spirituality.
Swamiji was an unattached observer of politics. Dirt of politics could not touch him. But his analysis of politics was pithy, precise, adroit and innocuous, for which he is remembered with high respect and devotion by various scholars.
Christopher Isherwood remarked: In fact, when one sees the full range of his (Swamijis) mind, one is astounded. He had further said that Swamijis was not nationalism in the smaller sense, it was a kind of supernationalism, a kind of internationalism sublimated.
Similarly, renowned Indologist Prof AL Basham made a sincere study of Swamijis works and proclaimed that in centuries to come he (Swamiji) will be remembered as one of the main moulders of the modern world.
The Writer is with Ramakrishna Mission, Narendrapur.
View original post here:
- The Covid-19 pandemic tests everyone's spiritual wellbeing, atheists and believers alike - NBC News - September 21st, 2020
- Author Shares Journey of Spiritual Discovery and Healing in New Book - GlobeNewswire - September 21st, 2020
- Assemblies of God (USA) Official Web Site | Reaping a Spiritual Harvest - AG News - September 21st, 2020
- Autumn equinox spiritual meaning: What is the meaning behind the autumnal equinox? - Express - September 21st, 2020
- One Thing I Ask of YHWH: Humility and the Spiritual Search - jewishboston.com - September 21st, 2020
- Special Online Event: Being In The Now - A Spiritual Perspective - Patch.com - September 21st, 2020
- New priests will spark a 'spiritual pandemic' - The Catholic Weekly - September 21st, 2020
- From the Pulpit: God with us in time of spiritual warfare - The Daily Times - September 21st, 2020
- Owusu Bempah gives detailed account of how things work in the spiritual realm - GhanaWeb - September 21st, 2020
- This Life: Spiritual poverty is the real problem - Sight Magazine - September 21st, 2020
- FEC Chair Says There's No Separation of Church and State, Calls 2020 Election a 'Spiritual War' - Newsweek - September 21st, 2020
- Beatification cause opened for spiritual son of Padre Pio - Catholic News Agency - September 21st, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: Find your serenity in these crazy days - Wicked Local Georgetown - September 21st, 2020
- Faith matters: Awaken the spiritual artist within | Lifestyle - thereporteronline.com - September 21st, 2020
- Leaders in Peace Building, Science, Mindfulness and Spirituality to Transmit the Experience of Peace to 40 Million People Across the Globe on... - September 21st, 2020
- Sultan Hanfareh Ali Mirah, the spiritual chief of the Afars, passed away - ethiopiaobserver.com - September 21st, 2020
- 350km from Lucknow, 'Bhagwati Van' to be the spiritual tourism hub in UP - Knocksense - September 21st, 2020
- Free the Mass! A Call to Spiritual Arms for the Right to Worship - National Catholic Register - September 21st, 2020
- A Maltese artists quest for the spiritual - Times of Malta - September 21st, 2020
- Faith Matters: We are coming into an era of spiritual awakening - New Haven Register - September 4th, 2020
- SPIRIT MATTERS: In matters of the spirit, spirituality matters - LaSalle News Tribune - September 4th, 2020
- Science And Spirituality Sing Together - Wisconsin Public Radio News - September 4th, 2020
- Guiding Light: Spirituality and morality - Free Press Journal - September 4th, 2020
- Spiritual Resiliency Trips in the Holy Land - kacc.nrmc.amedd.army.mil - September 4th, 2020
- Uzbek TV Urges Battle Against 'Spiritual Viruses' (Homosexuality And Feminism) Threatening The Nation - Radio Free Europe/ Radio Liberty - September 4th, 2020
- Harvest Moon spiritual meaning: What does the September Full Moon mean for you? - Express - September 4th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Lets hear it for our teachers - Wicked Local Norwood - September 4th, 2020
- Cardinal Parolin says there's a spiritual harmony between Francis and Benedict XVI - La Croix International - September 4th, 2020
- 'God Has Not Left Them': Operation Blessing and Others Offer Aid and Spiritual Hope for Laura Survivors - CBN News - September 4th, 2020
- Material and spiritual acts - Daily Pioneer - September 4th, 2020
- Serving those who serve others: behavioral health and spiritualitys role to encourage resiliency - United States Army - September 4th, 2020
- Reawakening Of Pagan India And The Challenge It Can Pose To Abrahamic Worldviews: Part I - Swarajya - September 4th, 2020
- Review: Essay collection Vesper Flights reveres beauty, birds and spirituality - San Francisco Chronicle - August 31st, 2020
- God Is Dead. So Is the Office. These People Want to Save Both - The New York Times - August 31st, 2020
- Safety and spirituality: Youth groups plan to meet in-person during pandemic - Roanoke Times - August 31st, 2020
- Spiritual Coffee and the Path toward Wokeness - Patheos - August 31st, 2020
- Republican National Convention kicks off with a near spiritual devotion to Trump - CNBC - August 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus Lockdowns Are Creating a Mental Health and Spiritual Crisis - The National Interest - August 31st, 2020
- They also serve who only stand and wait: Ethical and spiritual response to the covid-19 pandemic - The BMJ - The BMJ - August 31st, 2020
- Spiritual advisor says Keith Nelson is resigned to fact he will be executed Friday - WTHITV.com - August 31st, 2020
- Bushido Blade Spiritual Successor Die By The Blade Heads To Kickstarter For PS4, PS5 - PlayStation Universe - August 31st, 2020
- Korra's Spiritual Connection Goes Beyond Her Role as the Avatar - CBR - Comic Book Resources - August 31st, 2020
- Spiritual Side: Learn about services and events of local houses of worship - The West Volusia Beacon - August 31st, 2020
- Pope Francis spiritually united with pilgrims honouring Our Lady of Czestochowa - Vatican News - August 31st, 2020
- Remembering Richard The Rev Ricci: Pitt alum and spiritual force behind Night of the Living Dead - University of Pittsburgh The Pitt News - August 31st, 2020
- Without Reservation: Awakening to Native American Spirituality 08/25 by BITEradio me | Spirituality - BlogTalkRadio - August 31st, 2020
- OPINION/SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: Neither snow nor rain nor politics - Wicked Local Fall River - August 31st, 2020
- A Spiritual Walk: What is your perfect vision for healing the world? - New Baltimore Voice Newspapers - August 10th, 2020
- ISSUES OF FAITH: The spirituality of the ordinary - Peninsula Daily News - August 10th, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: It is our religious calling - News - Wicked Local Plymouth - August 10th, 2020
- The Orthodox Female Spiritual Leader Working with Converts - Jewish Journal - August 10th, 2020
- As coronavirus curtails travel, backyard pilgrimages become the way to a spiritual journey - The Conversation US - August 10th, 2020
- For Ottessa Moshfegh, Novel Writing Is a Spiritual Experience - The Nation - August 10th, 2020
- The role of kindness in the spiritual life - Aleteia IT - August 10th, 2020
- Why Mennonites, Lutherans and other say farming has a spiritual side - Deseret News - August 10th, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: A trip to the movies - Milford Daily News - August 10th, 2020
- The pandemic can be more than purgatory. It can be a time of deep spiritual formation. - The Dallas Morning News - August 10th, 2020
- Police violence meets spiritual resistance in the struggle over DAPL - NationofChange - August 10th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Don't Throw Your Own Pity Party and Attend - Dallasweekly - August 10th, 2020
- Spiritual Reflections: It has been a season of humility - SW News Media - August 10th, 2020
- Live: Raising Emotionally and Spiritually Healthy Bochurim - Anash.org - Good News - August 10th, 2020
- KATHIE DEASY Ironclad sparks ideas of being armed in spiritual iron - Port Arthur News - The Port Arthur News - August 10th, 2020
- '90 Day Fianc': Kalani and Asuelu Reveal Their Rare, Unconventional Shared Spiritual Belief in New Sneak Peek - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 10th, 2020
- Adult faith formation thriving although different due to COVID - Baptist News Global - August 10th, 2020
- As coronavirus curtails travel, backyard pilgrimages become the way to a spiritual journey - The Wilton Bulletin - August 10th, 2020
- New Book Offers Much Needed Spiritual Nourishment to Caregivers - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- National webinar on "How to manage stress through science and spirituality" organized - Nagpur News - August 10th, 2020
- Ayala: San Antonios little-known spiritual forest will be preserved in perpetuity - San Antonio Express-News - August 10th, 2020
- Health First's Pastoral Care Teams Turn to Technology to Deliver Spiritual Care and Compassion - SpaceCoastDaily.com - August 10th, 2020
- Katy Perry said she and Orlando Bloom bound by 'spiritual evolution' - Insider - INSIDER - August 10th, 2020
- Global Spiritual Forum The Island - The Island.lk - August 10th, 2020
- From the Archive: Going to a spiritual place in Barry - Barry and District News - August 10th, 2020
- Suikoden Creators On Making A Spiritual Follow-Up To The Classic JRPG - GameSpot - August 10th, 2020
- Why Irans highest spiritual chief Khamenei began a Twitter account in Hindi, know the motive - Pledge Times - August 10th, 2020
- City Lights: Sit with Yuri Schwebler's Spiritual Art or Probe Your Psyche with Project Implicit - Washington City Paper - August 10th, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: A trip to the movies - Wicked Local Sharon - August 9th, 2020
- World Music Innovators Turning Jewels Into Water Fuse The Spiritual With Digital On Their New Album - Recording Academy | Grammys - August 9th, 2020
- Ram Temple a great place to take plunge into the pool of spirituality, will promote spiritual tourism, says Tourism Minister Prahlad Singh Patel - New... - August 9th, 2020
- Small Changes Can Lead to Big Results | Spiritual and Physical Wellness - ChicagoNow - August 9th, 2020
- Life and Death Meet in Spiritual Arrog Adventure - GameIndustry.com - August 9th, 2020