What will be my legacy? I always return to this question as one year ends and another begins.
You are fettered, said Scrooge, trembling. Tell me why? I wear the chain I forged in life, replied the Ghost. I made it link by link, and yard by yard; I girded it on of my own free will, and of my own free will I wore it. Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol
What will be my legacy?
I always return to this question as one year ends and another begins and, in the case of 2020, as one decade fades into history and another decade prepares to take center stage. Not sure just why that curious query enters my thoughts now. Maybe its because as I age and another Happy New Year! rings out, I realize that there are more Auld Ang Synes behind me than before me. That my chances to make a mark in this world are limited by time and fate.
And so, I wonder what will be my legacy?
What will I be remembered for, after I leave this earth and return to the Creator who made me? How about you? What will be your legacy? The life you will leave behind, the lives of others you touched and made better, or did not? The life of the community you lived in that is a better place, or is not, because you called that part of Creation home? How do you want to be remembered?
Its tempting to see these questions as somehow morbid, or too tender or too scary to ask. I get that. Who wants to imagine this life without ones self? Yet the truth is we are all born and we all live and we will all die, all of us, one day, perhaps in a very long time or perhaps sooner than we think. God only knows when that time will come, so it seems to me imperative that every once in a while like on the eve of another New Years Eve we should think about this. My legacy. Reflect on this. Our legacies.
Not in material things, in what we will to our heirs. As a lifelong enthusiastic consumer, I know I put far too much stock into what I have, what I possess, what I own, what earthy things are important to me right now. We all do. Weve got stuff, after all. Lots of stuff. Too much stuff. Ive got a big house full of so many things. Though I fantasize that my stuff is precious, the reality is that all of these things: they will eventually rust and they will decay and they will fall apart and one day be no more, consigned to the landfill or the Salvation Army.
I mean really: will anyone want the legacy of my big-screen TV? Or my thousands of books (mostly science fiction) or my collection of far too many coffee mugs (dont even ask) or the broken snowblower in the garage I will surely fix someday (not!)? To me thats not a legacy, not in the truest sense. The world may tell us that she who dies with the most toys wins, but to God? To life? To those we leave behind? Stuff is just stuff. Disposable. Here today. Gone tomorrow.
The real legacy of life is an accumulation of the tens of thousands of daily moral and ethical and spiritual choices that we make each day. How we decide to live: this alone will determine our most important legacy on that last day.
Did our one life make a difference for the good? Did we use that life, a gift to us from our generous Creator, for the good, for the positive, and in service to others? Did we forgive quickly and love boldly? Were we merciful to the very young and to the very old? Did we help those who struggled in life: the poor, the sick, the lonely, the powerless? Were we good citizens and did we give ourselves over to some cause or ideal greater than ourselves? Did we laugh too often and cry too deeply and live with reckless joy and take risks and fall down and get back up and try again? Did we live with humility, knowing that we were just another bozo on the bus of life, no greater, no worse, than any of our fellow passenger?
Or did we live for self alone? Did we mock or tear down others to build our own selves up? Did we seek power for the sake of power, or use the authority we had over others to exploit or hurt them or to add to our own largesse? Did we take the gift of our body but then not treat it well? Were we quick to judge and slow to accept? Were we miserly with our money, hoarding it all for ourselves? Did we imagine that the way we lived: this alone was the answer for everyone elses life? Did we live with cynicism, expecting the worst, or live with apathy, leaving the work of life up to others? Did we imagine ourselves better than others? Did we die with a house full of possessions and a full bank account but with a sparsely attended memorial service?
What will be our legacy?
The good news is that if we are reading this, the legacy question has yet to be answered. So, Happy New Year but more important, happy legacy. I know Ive still got lots of work to do. How about you?
The Rev. John F. Hudson is senior pastor of the Pilgrim Church, United Church of Christ, in Sherborn (pilgrimsherborn.org). If you have a word or idea youd like defined in a future column or have comments, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org or in care of the Dover-Sherborn Press (Dover-Sherborn@wickedlocal.com).
See the original post:
- Summer solstice spiritual meaning: What does the summer solstice mean in astrology? - Express.co.uk - June 20th, 2020
- Testing faith: Spirituality in the face of tragedy and COVID-19 in Nova Scotia - TheChronicleHerald.ca - June 20th, 2020
- Finding spiritual light in a lonely place - The Daily Universe - Universe.byu.edu - June 20th, 2020
- Stories and Spirituality Are Driving Passions for Confrontation Theatre's Artistic Director - Willamette Week - June 20th, 2020
- What is the spiritual meaning of the heart? - Aleteia IT - June 20th, 2020
- A Chance to Recharge Mentally, Spiritually and Emotionally - The New York Times - June 20th, 2020
- Young Adventist Wins Second Place in 'Voice of Bulgaria' With Spiritual Song - Adventist Review - June 20th, 2020
- International Yoga Day: The relevance of yoga and the benefits of incorporating it for spiritual growth - Times Now - June 20th, 2020
- Is Being Religious and LGBTQ+ Mutually Exclusive? - Advocate.com - June 20th, 2020
- Catholic composer David Haas accused of 'sexual battery' and 'spiritual manipulation' - Catholic News Agency - June 20th, 2020
- Kunal Kapoor: I think technology changes the world outside and spirituality changes the world inside - Times of India - June 20th, 2020
- Happy Monday 06/15 by The Power of Love Radio | Spirituality - BlogTalkRadio - June 20th, 2020
- Transported across the centuries at the feast day festival at the Baptistery of St John in Florence, Italy - Catholic Leader - June 20th, 2020
- International Day of Yoga 2020: A Brief History of This Spiritual Discipline And The Art of Living Healthy - India.com - June 20th, 2020
- Fit for Life: Physical, Spiritual and Emotional Health - GoLocal Worcester - June 20th, 2020
- Spirits over spirituality? |India Today Insight - India Today - June 1st, 2020
- Spirituality - June 1st, 2020
- Vatican official: Racism is 'spiritual' virus that must be wiped out - Catholic News Service - June 1st, 2020
- Are you a good spiritual mother to your children and your loved ones? - Aleteia EN - June 1st, 2020
- Joan of Arcs spiritual life propelled her to martyrdom - Aleteia IT - June 1st, 2020
- Why, More Than Ever, We Need Nurses as Spiritual Comforters - CBN News - June 1st, 2020
- SOMETHING TO CONSIDER: We cultivate our spiritual life - Herald-Banner - June 1st, 2020
- LETTERS: Connecting spiritual communities important, but only in safe ways - Sentinel Colorado - June 1st, 2020
- ELDER: Dealing with the reality of an unseen spiritual realm - Rockdale Newton Citizen - June 1st, 2020
- Informative New Book Answers Important Questions Around Politics and Climate Change as Related to the Spiritual World - GlobeNewswire - June 1st, 2020
- Religious, spiritual services allowed to continue in person as Washington state counties reopen - KUOW News and Information - June 1st, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: June 2020 - Publishers Weekly - June 1st, 2020
- Tending to Your Spiritual Well-Being - KSRO - June 1st, 2020
- This is what were for: LAPD officers call in spiritual backup during pandemic - Angelus News - June 1st, 2020
- National Philoptochos Responds With A Multi-Pronged Approach to Provide Financial, Emotional, Spiritual and Loving Support to Individuals and Families... - June 1st, 2020
- While some try to politicize wearing face masks, for me it's a spiritual practice - Baptist News Global - June 1st, 2020
- Our view: BSA spiritual care team among local heroes on front lines of virus battle - Amarillo.com - June 1st, 2020
- On the spirituality of quarantine - The Christian Century - May 15th, 2020
- Motherhood and spirituality - The Catholic Sun - May 15th, 2020
- Eustace Was a Dragon All Along: Aslan and Spiritual Growth in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - tor.com - May 15th, 2020
- The spiritual modernist and iconoclast - Times of Malta - May 15th, 2020
- Fight and win the spiritual battle | Faith | frontiersman.com - Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman - May 15th, 2020
- Launch of Center for Spiritual Imagination hailed as 'exactly what is needed in these times' - Episcopal News Service - May 15th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: We all must do our part - Wicked Local - May 15th, 2020
- AMERICAN THEATRE | Tom Key: A Spiritual Connection - American Theatre - May 15th, 2020
- In It Together! 05/14 by Angel Talk Cafe | Spirituality - BlogTalkRadio - May 15th, 2020
- Army Chaplains Getting Creative in Helping Soldiers with Personal, Emotional and Spiritual Challenges - CBN News - May 15th, 2020
- Doctor's Orders: The value of purpose and spiritual health - Daily Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Wong Kar-Wais In the Mood for Love Spiritual Sequel Back on Track with New Filming Plans - IndieWire - May 15th, 2020
- Which qualities of Lord Hanuman should be in a Spiritual Master? - Times Now - May 15th, 2020
- What Is The Spiritual Meaning Of Angel Numbers 1010 - YourTango - May 15th, 2020
- Front-line workers receive 'spiritual' boost with blessing of the hands - Long Island Catholic - May 15th, 2020
- I provide spiritual care at a Seattle hospital. Here's what that means during the coronavirus pandemic - KUOW News and Information - May 15th, 2020
- The beauty of spiritual motherhood, according to John Paul II - Aleteia IT - May 15th, 2020
- Free Webinar: Spiritual Discovery: How you can better the world" - Patch.com - May 15th, 2020
- Just Call Me Pastor: Strengths of head, heart and hand - La Grande Observer - May 15th, 2020
- The spirituality of science - Economic Times - May 9th, 2020
- Pope warns against spiritual mafias that blind the soul to God - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - May 9th, 2020
- Spiritual Care at the Front Lines of the Pandemic - Sojourners - May 9th, 2020
- The Amazing Health Benefits of Spiritual Wellness - Lasentinel - May 9th, 2020
- Spiritual editorial: Jesus meets us wherever we are - NorthcentralPa.com - May 9th, 2020
- Spiritually speaking: The inherent power of humility | Religion - The Philadelphia Tribune - May 9th, 2020
- Our emotional, spiritual, financial and physical health depends on safely reopening Washington now - The Reflector - May 9th, 2020
- Abandoned but never forgotten Millmoor the spiritual home of the Millers - Yorkshire Post - May 9th, 2020
- Word of the Week: Yogi, a word for the spiritually wise - Hindustan Times - May 9th, 2020
- Spirituality at the core of sax greats sound - Mail and Guardian - May 3rd, 2020
- Coronavirus Is Good News for the Wellness Industry - VICE UK - May 3rd, 2020
- What does it mean to be spiritually blind? - Journal Review - May 3rd, 2020
- Hello, this is... podcast | Gaur Gopal Das on spirituality in times of a global pandemic - Moneycontrol.com - May 3rd, 2020
- Hello! This is... | Spirituality in times of a global pandemic - Moneycontrol.com - May 3rd, 2020
- Health and compassion for the mind and spirit - Vashon-Maury Island Beachcomber - May 3rd, 2020
- In this episode, The Filter taps into the spiritual - Flatland - May 3rd, 2020
- Spirituality and Reading.. On The Hangout Hour - hcam.tv - May 3rd, 2020
- The Spiritual Treadmill - The Sunday Guardian - May 3rd, 2020
- Pentecostals and the spiritual war against coronavirus in Africa - The Conversation Africa - May 3rd, 2020
- With knowledge from past outbreaks, many Indigenous people return to traditional medicines - Winnipeg Free Press - May 3rd, 2020
- Plan ahead for how you will continue working on your spiritual life once the lockdown is lifted - Aleteia EN - May 3rd, 2020
- What spiritual retreats can teach us about the challenges of lockdown - The Conversation UK - May 3rd, 2020
- Building Spiritual Readiness in the Time of COVID-19 - United States Army - April 15th, 2020
- NCR readers share how they keep spiritually grounded, part three - National Catholic Reporter - April 15th, 2020
- Stay Safe by Practicing Religion and Spirituality from Home - Merrillfotonews - April 15th, 2020
- COVID-19 and the Spiritual Life | Dale M. Coulter - First Things - April 15th, 2020
- Spiritual Health Matters in the COVID-19 Crisis - MedicineNet - April 15th, 2020
- Chaplains and Spiritual Care in Hospitals During the Coronavirus Pandemic - The New Yorker - April 15th, 2020
- Special Report: Welcome to the New Age of Spiritual Luxury - Highsnobiety - April 15th, 2020