The integrity of men is to be measured by their conduct, not by their professions. Junius, 1769
Sometimes when a good man or a good woman leaves this earth, attention must be paid.
He was not a media celebrity, so when he died last week, his passing was reported but not as a big story. Think page three of the newspaper, below the fold. He was not particularly good looking or photogenic, a seeming requirement for todays well-coiffed news anchors. He didnt hob knob with political or cultural bigwigs or command a multimillion-dollar salary as do so many of the self-important media talking heads the public worships these days: Maddow, Hannity, Ingraham, Cooper, Cuomo, Morning Joe.
For 36 years he reported the news on the least flashy of TV networks, on a channel known more for animal shows and Downton Abbey and Mister Rodgers, the Public Broadcasting System, and so his ratings were never sky high, nor his audience huge. He was married to the same woman for almost 60 years and served in the Marines with distinction. His first big story was the assassination of President John F. Kennedy in 1963, which he witnessed and reported on firsthand. His biggest claim to fame was being the moderator for more Presidential candidate debates than any other journalist.
His name was Jim Lehrer, and you are forgiven if that doesnt ring a bell but, he will be missed, at least by this news junkie and journalist. Not for anything in particular he wrote nor for any one story he reported. No. It was how he carried himself, how he lived, how he practiced his craft, that I remember. How the words he spoke matched the life he lived, and how when you watched him deliver the news or interview a politician or stay calm and focused while his more famous peers yelled and preened before the cameras: you knew he never saw himself as more important than the story itself.
In a word, he had integrity.
Thats the human virtue of trying to live by a code of right and wrong, guided by an inner moral compass that directs a person and provides a framework to live a good life, in the deepest sense. Being honest. Making a promise and keeping a promise. Talking the talk and walking the walk. Leading by example. Remembering life is not just about you, what you think or desire or need; life is, instead, about others, serving them. Doing a job well, whatever the task might be.
Integrity is a virtue that some of us actually still look for in others, especially from the people like Lehrer who lead us, who report the news, make the laws, govern us, run our businesses, bring us joy in the arts or on the playing field. The women and men who have the power and authority to shape events in this world.
Like a President. Like a news anchor or reporter. Like a star athlete. We also need to experience integrity in regular life: from the accountant who does our taxes and the teacher who teaches our kids and the coach who guides our sons and daughters and the preacher who speaks from the pulpit. We need to be able to trust them and to believe what they say.
Lehrer actually had nine principles he tried to live by; Lehrers Rules, he called them. A sample: Do nothing I cannot defend. Assume there is at least one other side to a story. Assume the viewer is as smart and caring and as good a person as I am. No one should be allowed to attack another anonymously. And my favorite? I am not in the entertainment business.
Lehrers death and the loss of that voice reminded me that, yes, Im still actually crazy enough to expect integrity from others and from myself too. I want to live in a community and nation and world where the ones who lead and serve us are the best and the brightest, not the least and the lowest. Not leaders who bully their way into power, and survive by threats and cruelty. Not those leaders who rise to the top just because they are rich. Not the ones who have the best spin doctors to shape their public persona. Not the leaders who lead for ego or self-aggrandizement.
Give us leaders, give us neighbors, with integrity. They who know what the right thing is to do and then try their best to do just that. So, thanks Jim Lehrer, for your integrity and for reminding us what that rare virtue looks like in a life well lived.
And thats the news.
The Rev. John F. Hudson is senior pastor of the Pilgrim Church, United Church of Christ, in Sherborn (pilgrimsherborn.org). If you have a word or idea youd like defined in a future column or have comments, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org or in care of the Dover-Sherborn Press (Dover-Sherborn@wickedlocal.com).
Originally posted here:
- Making Sense of Meditation: Religion and Spirituality - Psychiatric Times - March 26th, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: April 2020 - Publishers Weekly - March 26th, 2020
- Students report on the impact of COVID-19 on religion and spirituality - USC News - March 26th, 2020
- Bishop tests negative, urges all to care for physical and spiritual health - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - March 26th, 2020
- How Deepak Chopra Is Using This Time For A Spiritual Reset - mindbodygreen.com - March 26th, 2020
- David Carlson: The spiritual challenge of the coronavirus - Daily Journal - March 26th, 2020
- spiritual connections - The Batavian - March 26th, 2020
- Teachers & Healers: Carr mixes medicine and spirituality with his two professions - Huron Daily Tribune - March 26th, 2020
- These are the most spiritual travel destinations in the world - Travel Weekly - March 26th, 2020
- Spiritual Life: Leave anxiety behind and be open to today - Blue Mountain Eagle - March 26th, 2020
- Post-reformation theology of the priesthood influenced abuse crisis, author says - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - March 26th, 2020
- Spirituality | Definition of Spirituality by Merriam-Webster - March 16th, 2020
- Exploring the Meaning of Spirituality - dummies - March 16th, 2020
- Spirituality - March 16th, 2020
- We asked rabbis for their spiritual guidance in handling the coronavirus crisis. Here's what they said. - JTA News - March 16th, 2020
- Have Faith: Spirituality and addiction - Martha's Vineyard Times - March 16th, 2020
- Spiritual Well-Being in Times of Crisis - My Jewish Learning - March 16th, 2020
- Out & About: NAACP prayer breakfast focuses on spiritual weapons - TribLIVE - March 16th, 2020
- Social Distancing and Spiritual Dirction in the Age of COVID-19 - Patheos - March 16th, 2020
- Local author comments on writing, spirituality and tying them together - Left Hand Valley Courier - March 16th, 2020
- A nation confronting its own mortality needs spiritual leadership. So where is Justin Welby? - Telegraph.co.uk - March 16th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Rancor spreads faster than the virus - Enterprise News - March 16th, 2020
- Getting Spiritual Protection from Coronavirus - Wine-Searcher - March 16th, 2020
- I tried a spiritual awakening in one of Londons top hotels - and I couldnt believe what happened - Telegraph.co.uk - March 16th, 2020
- Should Coronavirus Stop Us from Going to Church? - Crosswalk.com - March 16th, 2020
- David Nichtern on Spirituality and Making a Buck - Lion's Roar - January 30th, 2020
- Spiritual festival curated to bring world together in peace, love and harmony - Hindustan Times - January 30th, 2020
- The Ark brings shelter to those in spiritual need - Kern Valley Sun - January 30th, 2020
- 'Satanic wombs': the outlandish world of Trump's spiritual adviser - The Guardian - January 30th, 2020
- An Unexpected Spiritual Balm - Word and Way - January 30th, 2020
- Actors asked to find a spirituality for new Belfry production - Peninsula News Review - January 30th, 2020
- Spiritual Sounds unites a world of faiths in the East Village - amNY - January 30th, 2020
- What on Earth is wrong with Paula White, Trump's spiritual guru? - Washington Examiner - January 30th, 2020
- According to Trump's Spiritual Advisor It's Apparently Okay to Ask God to Terminate Pregnancies as Long as They're Satanic - Jezebel - January 30th, 2020
- Senior thesis Five Flights grapples with spiritual identity - Kenyon Collegian - January 30th, 2020
- Jefferson Award winner is a spiritual healer that attracts people from all over the country - WXOW.com - January 30th, 2020
- CITIZEN COLUMNIST: The value of discernment and spiritual discernment - SCNow - January 30th, 2020
- The 75th Anniversary of the Liberation of Auschwitz: Returning in Spiritual Triumph - Yated.com - January 30th, 2020
- Trump's Spiritual Advisor Comes Out in Favor of Abortion - Patheos - January 30th, 2020
- Ganga yatra to invoke spirituality, focus on need to clean river - Hindustan Times - January 30th, 2020
- Tend to spiritual needs too - Bryan County News - January 30th, 2020
- I never meditated, would rather be a criminal than spiritual: Ma Anand Sheela - India Today - January 30th, 2020
- We put Jen Aniston and Gwyneth's spirituality gurus to the test - Marie Claire - January 25th, 2020
- On matters biblical, spiritual belief, and marital in the land of matoke - Daily Nation - January 25th, 2020
- Top 10 Religion and Spirituality Books for Spring 2020 - Publishers Weekly - January 25th, 2020
- Spiritual book proposes that we should nurture our souls as we would a garden -- with love and tenderness - Benzinga - January 25th, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: February 2020 - Publishers Weekly - January 25th, 2020
- Getting spiritual: the real essence of yoga - The Age - January 25th, 2020
- Spiritual Intervention for Crime Prevention? - The Voice St. Lucia - January 25th, 2020
- 6 Bishops on Their Favorite Saints, Spirituality - National Catholic Register - January 25th, 2020
- The spiritual poet - The News on Sunday - January 25th, 2020
- Is the Spiritual Realm more Real than the Natural? Brad Jersak | Brad Jersak - Patheos - January 25th, 2020
- Terry Crews says intermittent fasting is his fitness secret but he's actually doing it for spiritual reasons - Yahoo Entertainment - January 25th, 2020
- The role of scriptures on the spiritual path - The Navhind Times - January 25th, 2020
- Undiluted Catholicism: what the Amazon really needs - Catholic Herald Online - January 25th, 2020
- Review: 'Babette's Feast' a warmhearted exploration of the spiritual and the sensual at Lamb's Players - The San Diego Union-Tribune - January 25th, 2020
- GRHS graduate using platform to write about spiritual themes - The Glen Rose Reporter - January 25th, 2020
- Abortion is socially sanctioned, sovereignly offensive and spiritually sinful | Guestview - Pensacola News Journal - January 25th, 2020
- Material achievements and spiritual perfections - Centurion Rekord - January 25th, 2020
- Pastor's 'spiritual DNA' will live on - Impartial Reporter - January 25th, 2020
- The theologian who helped MLK see the value of nonviolence - Sumter Item - January 25th, 2020
- Why "Business Meets Spirituality" Is an Important Leadership Trend For 2020 - Thrive Global - January 19th, 2020
- The Fall of Spirituality: The Blood-Soaked History of the Cathars - Ancient Origins - January 19th, 2020
- In this art gallery, conversations about religion and spirituality are welcome - The Oakland Press - January 19th, 2020
- A Spirituality of Aging: Deepening our Wisdom Years - CatholicPhilly.com - January 19th, 2020
- Spirituality and values in the Disney universe - Evangelical Focus - January 19th, 2020
- The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s spiritual influence remembered in Steubenville | News, Sports, Jobs - The Steubenville Herald-Star - January 19th, 2020
- 5 Reasons to jumpstart your spiritual reading in 2020 - Aleteia EN - January 19th, 2020
- Big Freedia Will Bring Bounce Tunes, Spiritual Experience When She Takes the Stage at Paper Tiger - San Antonio Current - January 19th, 2020
- Meaningful Conversations Chapel Hill looks for the spiritual basis of forgiveness - The Daily Tar Heel - January 19th, 2020
- Liverpool players spiritual preparations and how club respectfully honours faith behind the scenes - Liverpool Echo - January 19th, 2020
- Local Cantors are 'The Spiritual Caretakers of the Congregation' - The Jewish News - January 19th, 2020
- The 12 Best Mayan Sites to See in Guatemala - Fodor's Travel - January 19th, 2020
- Father beat children secluded on Ruinerwold farm with "spiritual sword": Report - NL Times - January 19th, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: What will your legacy be? - Wicked Local - January 19th, 2020
- The Ummah Chroma to Launch Spiritual & Meditative Installation at Het Nieuwe Instituut - HYPEBEAST - January 19th, 2020
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Pray for the president's spiritual aligning with Scripture - Anniston Star - January 19th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: 2020 vision for the New Year | Eden Prairie Opinion - SW News Media - January 19th, 2020
- The Shepherd and the Shrink | Dexter duo launches podcast combing spirituality and psychology - thesuntimesnews.com - January 12th, 2020
- Spirituality Has Long Been Erased From Art History. Heres Why Its Having a Resurgence Today - artnet News - January 12th, 2020