Finding community is always a key part of the student university experience, and for many at Tufts that centers around spirituality. With many spiritual traditions represented on Tufts campuses, students can make deep and abiding connections, enriching their lives and the universitys. In this occasional series, Spirituality at Tufts,Tufts Nowexplores the many and varied traditions that students take part in.
On the night before graduation in May, seniors walk up the Hill holding candles for an illumination ceremony, a bookend to their walkalso uphill and candleliton their first day of orientation as matriculating students.
In 2018, the Tufts Humanist chaplain gave the invocation at the Illumination Ceremony: Source of light and of strength, All that which sustains us and teaches us and has bound us these past years, the invocation began, we here tonight remember what these flames meant to us in our first few days on the Hill.
Humanism is one of six chaplaincies at Tufts, the only one that is purely secular, concerned with our life in the natural world and what we as creatures in that world can accomplish among ourselves, according to its brochure.
One-third of Tufts students self-report as non-religious on the first-year Spiritual Interest Survey, which doesnt mean that a yearning for meaning or even spirituality is any less important, or the need to create a community to discuss these questions.
As part of that, ritualsfor instance, the lighting of candlescan be important. It was new last year, a way of beginning our Thursday meetings and setting the space, said Walker Bristol, A14, the Tufts Humanist chaplain. The year before, a number of students arrived with a Unitarian background, and said they wanted to do more rituals. It felt important to say, this is how we create a meaningful space.
Similarly, among Humanists, rituals or traditions can be abandoned. Bristol, who has been on campus nine yearsa good chunk of the lifetime of a young movementrecalls how the Thursday meetings were originally dubbed discussions, often based on an article someone brought in.
There was an argumentative feeling about it, they said, until students approached them and said the drive for intellectual discussion wasnt why they came together.
Are we allowed to just not do this anymore? the students asked. Of course, Bristol said.
What were once discussions are now called reflections, which isnt to say the discussions cant re-emerge, but you have to be attentive to whos in the room, they said.
Bristol remembers arriving on campus nine years ago and finding a Humanist movement whose identity was mostly atheism. We used to get in the room and talk about being not religious.
But for students now, they said, questions of how logical religion is are not so interesting. Its important for me to follow. In becoming officially endorsed as a chaplain by the American Humanist Association, they received the charge to aid people in supporting their own agency.
And from agency, perhaps, comes a sense of communal identity. At the 2018 Baccalaureate service, one of the Tufts Humanists, graduating senior Corrinne Smith, A18, offered a reading, an adaptation of the poem The Negro Speaks of Rivers by Langston Hughes.
During the daylight service, Smith offered the graduates the possibility that, like the poet, they knew rivers ancient as the world and older than the flow of human blood in human veins, with souls grown deep like the rivers.
For the 2019 commencement, Bristol prepared a new invocation for the School of Medicine ceremony, another first for the Humanist chaplaincy.
Thinking to the academic year ahead, they expect the candle-lighting ritual on Thursdays will continue. It reflects the space, and what we want from it.
But, like the rivers, the flamesand everything natural on the planetall can and will change. If the space changed, maybe the candles would, too, Bristol said. Im never trying to create something that doesnt need to exist.
Read the original:
- Baylor regents hear report from spirituality and character study - Baptist Standard - November 6th, 2019
- Religion and Spirituality Book Deals: November 6, 2019 - Publishers Weekly - November 6th, 2019
- These Celebrities Say Their Spiritual Journeys Have Benefitted Their Lives And Careers - Forbes - November 6th, 2019
- Why modern yoga should be more spiritual and less narcissistic - The Guardian - November 6th, 2019
- Trump's new 'spiritual adviser' thinks saying no to him is like saying no to God - The indy100 - November 6th, 2019
- Wealth inequality and spiritual currency | Torah Study - Jewish News of Greater Phoenix - November 6th, 2019
- Spirituality as Joy the Art of Spokane's Brittney Trambitas - spokanefavs.com - November 6th, 2019
- Rome's MAXXI celebrates the spiritual in art - Wanted in Rome - November 6th, 2019
- The spiritual value of Halloween - The News Star - November 6th, 2019
- "Harriet" Director on the Film's Themes of Spirituality, Love, and Family - UrbanFaith - November 6th, 2019
- Bronx-based nurse speaks on 'Spirituality and Health' - Caribbean Life - November 6th, 2019
- Classic ink paintings on show reveal the spiritual 'xieyi' style - Chinadaily USA - November 6th, 2019
- Are Humans Here in Search of a Corporeal or Spiritual Experience? - The Good Men Project - November 6th, 2019
- Festival takes care of mental, physical and spiritual health - Cyprus Mail - November 6th, 2019
- These Sunglasses Have "Spiritual Healing" Properties Thanks to a Tiny Detail on Their Frames - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 6th, 2019
- Meet the Spiritual Leader of the Hong Kong Protests - The Atlantic - November 6th, 2019
- In Japan, supernatural beliefs connect the spiritual realm with the earthly objects around us - The Conversation AU - November 6th, 2019
- Religious and spiritual online forums consist of chaotic, impactful ideas - Lamron - November 6th, 2019
- Spiritual Reflections: Grumbling, for many, is never just grumbling - SW News Media - November 6th, 2019
- Kasi Lemmons And The Spiritual Journey of 'Harriet' - HuffPost - November 6th, 2019
- on the spiritual matter of art - Announcements - E-Flux - October 16th, 2019
- My Bhutan Pilgrimage-ish, Part Tourism, Part Leaning into the Spirituality of a Himalayan Buddhist Country - Patheos - October 16th, 2019
- Rudy Giulianis Ukraine smear pals courted powerful Jewish spiritual leaders and right-wing backers of Israe - New York Daily News - October 16th, 2019
- Amazon Synod Press Briefing: The spiritual dynamic of the Synod - Vatican News - October 16th, 2019
- Education, compensation, and spiritual outreach protect threatened whale sharks - Mongabay.com - October 16th, 2019
- "A Spiritual Experience": The Artist Behind a Rediscovered Last Supper Talks About Its Creation - Washingtonian - October 16th, 2019
- 500 SoCal Spiritualists, Marianne Williamson, and UCSD's PC Princess || PC Princess - The UCSD Guardian Online - October 16th, 2019
- Why Gitanjali JB wants to put the soul and spirituality back in Indian education - EdexLive - October 16th, 2019
- A man walked into a wild corner of Hatcher Pass last year on a spiritual quest. He never came out. - Anchorage Daily News - October 16th, 2019
- The Spiritual Need for the Arts - Juneau Empire - October 16th, 2019
- Pharrell on Evolving Masculinity, "Blurred Lines," and "Spiritual Warfare" - GQ - October 16th, 2019
- Rashad and Monica Bey - News-Talk 1380 WAOK - October 16th, 2019
- Exeter Cathedral to host 'spiritual' underwater video game service inspired by Jonah and the Whale - The Telegraph - October 16th, 2019
- Education & Health Experts fear new Quebec legislation will further erode religion in schools October 16 - Grandin Media - October 16th, 2019
- Spiritual Reflections: Even for a Midwesterner, work and play can be balanced - SW News Media - October 16th, 2019
- Opinion | Graham Rockingham: A year of living spiritually without religion - TheSpec.com - October 16th, 2019
- Workplace and spirituality: Meeting of opposites - The Manila Times - October 1st, 2019
- The spiritual meaning of St. Michaels name reminds us how we should live our lives - Aleteia EN - October 1st, 2019
- Kourtney Kardashian Opens Up About Her New Venture and Why She Wont Force Spirituality on Her Kids - PEOPLE.com - October 1st, 2019
- This Spiritual Fitness Experience Is Coming to Philly for the First Time Ever - phillymag.com - October 1st, 2019
- 4 Misconceptions That Keep You From Growing Spiritually - Patheos - October 1st, 2019
- 'My Year of Living Spiritually' is a book for the spiritual but not religious - rabble.ca - October 1st, 2019
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: October 2019 - Publishers Weekly - October 1st, 2019
- Critic's Notebook: 'This Way Up' Is More Than a Spiritual Cousin to 'Fleabag' - Hollywood Reporter - October 1st, 2019
- Knead & Seed is a haven for spiritual, emotional wellness in Sag Harbor - Northforker - October 1st, 2019
- This Darshan and one-day retreat in Eagle will bring spiritual awareness to all who attend - Vail Daily News - October 1st, 2019
- Panday honoured in Tobago by Spiritual Baptist - Trinidad Guardian - October 1st, 2019
- Institute for Priestly Formation puts spiritual lives of priests front and center - The Catholic Spirit - October 1st, 2019
- Music and spirituality at the end of life - OUPblog - September 29th, 2019
- Kourtney Kardashian Opens Up About Her New Venture and Why She Wont Force Spirituality on Her Kids - PEOPLE.com - September 29th, 2019
- Denzel Curry finds spirituality in boxing and reveals his most treasured memory - 88Nine Radio Milwaukee - September 29th, 2019
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: October 2019 - Publishers Weekly - September 29th, 2019
- This Darshan and one-day retreat in Eagle will bring spiritual awareness to all who attend - Vail Daily News - September 29th, 2019
- Critic's Notebook: 'This Way Up' Is More Than a Spiritual Cousin to 'Fleabag' - Hollywood Reporter - September 29th, 2019
- The New Moon Is In Libra, & Its Time To Get Romantic - Refinery29 - September 29th, 2019
- Princess Diana's Relationships With Psychics and Spiritual Healers - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 29th, 2019
- Spirituality and Health 3 Ways Faith Helps to Overcome Stress - spokanefavs.com - September 29th, 2019
- Book Review: My Year of Living Spiritually by Anne Bokma - Raise the Hammer - September 29th, 2019
- Spiritually Speaking: Being a blessing is the only road to being blessed - The Philadelphia Tribune - September 29th, 2019
- David Brooks discusses spiritual hunger, Weave project in Baylor visit - Waco Tribune-Herald - September 29th, 2019
- Meet Greta Thunbergs spiritual precursor: The 12-year-old who silenced the world - RT - September 29th, 2019
- Brad Pitt May Be Dating a Spiritual Healer But They Also May Just Be Friends - Jezebel - September 29th, 2019
- Children lead the way to stop violence, save Earth - National Catholic Reporter - September 29th, 2019
- Spiritual wanderlust in new books from Bay Area authors - The Jewish News of Northern California - September 19th, 2019
- Kanye West: What Religion Is the Rapper and Does He Have His Own Church? - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 19th, 2019
- In pursuit of the spiritual, practical, abundant | About The Valley - Walla Walla Union-Bulletin - September 19th, 2019
- Deepika Padukone's spiritual leaning showcases her unshakable faith in God - Times Now - September 19th, 2019
- PRAYER FOR ALL SEASONS SALAD LUNCHEON | Spirituality - The Southern - September 19th, 2019
- This Is How You Attract A Partner Who Has Spiritual Health & Wellness - YourTango - September 19th, 2019
- The Rev. Michael Haynes was the spiritual leader of Roxbury - The Boston Globe - September 19th, 2019
- Chance The Rapper Says Kanye West Still His Spiritual Advisor, Talks Paternity Leave - Hip-Hop Wired - September 19th, 2019
- Spiritual fulfilment - Economic Times - September 19th, 2019
- Cosmic Pineapple gets spiritual, ethical and eco-conscious - Ibiza Spotlight - September 19th, 2019
- GOP Congressman Says Marijuana Shops Near Churches Is Evidence Of 'Spiritual War' - Marijuana Moment - September 19th, 2019
- Spiritually Speaking: Out of time for Out of Town News - Wicked Local - September 19th, 2019
- Spiritual Reflections: Five things to say to someone who's dying - SW News Media - September 19th, 2019
- Meet Shaman Durek ' Hollywood's spiritual healer who's on a mission to make us all feel 'lit' - Lifestyle from Xpos - virginmediatelevision.ie - September 19th, 2019
- Author reflects on clerical celibacy as spiritual fatherhood - CatholicPhilly.com - September 19th, 2019
- Today's Video: How to Handle Spiritual Setbacks - thecatholictelegraph.com - September 19th, 2019
- Bible & Tire Recording Co. spotlights rich history, contemporary spiritual singers in Memphis - The Commercial Appeal - September 19th, 2019