By Kelly Rae Mathews
Sophia Nali Allison wrote in the New Yorker, that people of African descent, even through slavery in America, believed they could fly, as a spiritual freedom. Creating this spiritual space of joy helped keep her people moving forward. Artist Brittany Trambitas brings themes of the souls flight to freedom through joy to Spokane in her fantastical and exuberant art.
An example of this is the portrait of a beautiful woman that looks like the cover of a science fiction magazine, or a metaphysical place. The woman looks of divine, cosmic origins. One half of her looks warmer, imbued with the light of a single sun, the other side of her is full of an entire universe of stars.
Kelly: When I first saw your paintings, I felt such joy clearly emanating through them. I felt they were very spiritual. But do you, the artist feel there is a spiritual component in your work?
Brittany: I want to create joy and space for brown women. We need a space to just be joyful. My mom is Catholic. Dad not really. Mom didnt want to force it or for my belief to be fear-based. I had thought maybe I was an atheist.As I got older, I did more research. I felt connected to something greater than myself. Im spiritual, but not religious. Im not an atheist, but Im hesitant to refer to God. What society has done with it, is made God Singular. I feel God is more of a vast expanse than that. I connect on a universal plane.
Kelly: When I look at your art there is to me a theme with women connected to the divine feminine of the universe.
Brittney: My work is very connected to female presence. Women and the feminine are not getting recognized for the power they have. My art is an ode to female presence. Theres an aura, that is otherworldly. I like to dig deeper to express my spirituality. Perhaps Im bordering somewhere on Pagan. I like to pick and choose. I connect on a certain level to Wicca. I dont follow all of that. Some people just want you so badly to say, I am this. I think people are more complicated than that. It all comes together in this weird ball of Brittany. I feel there is a strong female connection to nature. Representation of personhood connects to more than one spirituality.
Kelly: I noticed at FemFest 2019 there were a few artists who seemed Wiccan. Some of these were part of the Shades of Me Art Collective of which you are a member.
Brittany: There was a nice mix. There were artists with heavy Baptist background open to discussing crystal work and Tarot cards. There was also a little clashing of beliefs. Shades of Me is about art work no matter your background.
Kelly: Tell me about your first art Show with Shades of Me.
Brittany: I really loved it. I had so many women come into my booth. There was, however, one woman who asked me why there werent any paintings of white women. I grew up in Spokane. Ive heard all the things, been called all the names. I was still surprised. Shades is an event explicitly put on by and for women of color. A painting of a white woman at that event would be me apologizing for taking up space as a brown woman at an event that was explicitly for us. People will enjoy your cultures food, fashion, and music, but deep down, they are not interested in the core of your culture.
Kelly: Its the mindset of the colonizer. Im sorry for that. I see there is some ambiguity in your painting. Women have green and blue skin as well as brown.
Brittney: Painting the women green and blue with the features of brown women was a way of me removing color to see how people perceive the paintings and women in them. Representation is less of a theme, and more of a foundation in my work.
BriOn Nov. 10 Brittany Trambitas will be featured at Dinner with Shades: A Bridge to Intimacy.
Read more from the original source:
- The Spiritual Disunity of the West - The Atlantic - December 7th, 2019
- Reading the Signs, Spreading the Word: New England Spirituality Publishers - Publishers Weekly - December 7th, 2019
- The NFL tried to fine the Saints' Demario Davis for his 'Man of God' headband. Here's what happened next - Yahoo Sports - December 7th, 2019
- How the super-rich harness their spiritual side (with a little help from LA spiritualists with lengthy waiting lists) - Telegraph.co.uk - December 7th, 2019
- Finding Your Way Without a Spiritual GPS - Patheos - December 7th, 2019
- Get Your Mind, Body And Soul Ready For 2020 With These 7 Spiritual Gifts - Essence - December 7th, 2019
- Renovating your spiritual home - The Irish Catholic - December 7th, 2019
- On the Spiritual and Physical Boobytraps of a Creative Life - Talkhouse - December 7th, 2019
- Tanya, your road to spiritual health - Arutz Sheva - December 7th, 2019
- A Survey on the Integration of Spiritual Care in Medical Schools from | AMEP - Dove Medical Press - December 7th, 2019
- [LETTER] The truth about spiritual warfare - Newcastle Advertiser - December 7th, 2019
- Spiritually Speaking: Surrender to peace in this war on Christmas - Wicked Local Walpole - December 7th, 2019
- Mystery novel blends spiritual with the procedural - Daily Journal - December 7th, 2019
- Spirituality: If you stick with Jesus, he'll keep you on course - Norwich Bulletin - November 22nd, 2019
- Spirituality is resolution to every problem: Veena - Daily Pioneer - November 22nd, 2019
- Overcoming Spiritual Programming: The Journey From Fear To Freedom | Spiritual Freedom - Patheos - November 22nd, 2019
- Spiritual transformations in the middling years - Global Sisters Report - November 22nd, 2019
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: December 2019 - Publishers Weekly - November 22nd, 2019
- A Spiritual Tour of Cuba - Post News Group - November 22nd, 2019
- This is spiritually more beneficial than fasting, according to St. John of the Cross - Aleteia EN - November 22nd, 2019
- Spiritual warfare and pornography - Arlington Catholic Herald - November 22nd, 2019
- IMPACThought: Is your spiritual home built on firm foundation? - The Hartsville Vidette - November 22nd, 2019
- Letter: Editorial: Building spiritual muscle with education and immigration - Baptist Standard - November 22nd, 2019
- Never alone: How Spiritual Ideas Work In Us - Patch.com - November 22nd, 2019
- Spiritually Speaking: A lover of the first snow - Wicked Local Walpole - November 22nd, 2019
- Spiritual Motels: making sense of the world with Super Tiny Disappearing Oceans - San Diego Reader - November 22nd, 2019
- After The Ritual: The Messiness of Spiritual Growth | what to do after a ritual - Patheos - November 22nd, 2019
- As Indian mental health research sphere is penetrated by pseudo-spiritual influences, it's time medical... - Firstpost - November 22nd, 2019
- Baylor regents hear report from spirituality and character study - Baptist Standard - November 6th, 2019
- Religion and Spirituality Book Deals: November 6, 2019 - Publishers Weekly - November 6th, 2019
- These Celebrities Say Their Spiritual Journeys Have Benefitted Their Lives And Careers - Forbes - November 6th, 2019
- Why modern yoga should be more spiritual and less narcissistic - The Guardian - November 6th, 2019
- Trump's new 'spiritual adviser' thinks saying no to him is like saying no to God - The indy100 - November 6th, 2019
- Wealth inequality and spiritual currency | Torah Study - Jewish News of Greater Phoenix - November 6th, 2019
- The spiritual value of Halloween - The News Star - November 6th, 2019
- "Harriet" Director on the Film's Themes of Spirituality, Love, and Family - UrbanFaith - November 6th, 2019
- Bronx-based nurse speaks on 'Spirituality and Health' - Caribbean Life - November 6th, 2019
- Classic ink paintings on show reveal the spiritual 'xieyi' style - Chinadaily USA - November 6th, 2019
- Are Humans Here in Search of a Corporeal or Spiritual Experience? - The Good Men Project - November 6th, 2019
- Festival takes care of mental, physical and spiritual health - Cyprus Mail - November 6th, 2019
- These Sunglasses Have "Spiritual Healing" Properties Thanks to a Tiny Detail on Their Frames - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 6th, 2019
- Meet the Spiritual Leader of the Hong Kong Protests - The Atlantic - November 6th, 2019
- In Japan, supernatural beliefs connect the spiritual realm with the earthly objects around us - The Conversation AU - November 6th, 2019
- Religious and spiritual online forums consist of chaotic, impactful ideas - Lamron - November 6th, 2019
- Spiritual Reflections: Grumbling, for many, is never just grumbling - SW News Media - November 6th, 2019
- Kasi Lemmons And The Spiritual Journey of 'Harriet' - HuffPost - November 6th, 2019
- Spirituality at Tufts: The Humanist Approach - Tufts Now - October 16th, 2019
- on the spiritual matter of art - Announcements - E-Flux - October 16th, 2019
- My Bhutan Pilgrimage-ish, Part Tourism, Part Leaning into the Spirituality of a Himalayan Buddhist Country - Patheos - October 16th, 2019
- Amazon Synod Press Briefing: The spiritual dynamic of the Synod - Vatican News - October 16th, 2019
- Education, compensation, and spiritual outreach protect threatened whale sharks - Mongabay.com - October 16th, 2019
- "A Spiritual Experience": The Artist Behind a Rediscovered Last Supper Talks About Its Creation - Washingtonian - October 16th, 2019
- 500 SoCal Spiritualists, Marianne Williamson, and UCSD's PC Princess || PC Princess - The UCSD Guardian Online - October 16th, 2019
- Why Gitanjali JB wants to put the soul and spirituality back in Indian education - EdexLive - October 16th, 2019
- A man walked into a wild corner of Hatcher Pass last year on a spiritual quest. He never came out. - Anchorage Daily News - October 16th, 2019
- The Spiritual Need for the Arts - Juneau Empire - October 16th, 2019
- Pharrell on Evolving Masculinity, "Blurred Lines," and "Spiritual Warfare" - GQ - October 16th, 2019
- Exeter Cathedral to host 'spiritual' underwater video game service inspired by Jonah and the Whale - The Telegraph - October 16th, 2019
- Education & Health Experts fear new Quebec legislation will further erode religion in schools October 16 - Grandin Media - October 16th, 2019
- Spiritual Reflections: Even for a Midwesterner, work and play can be balanced - SW News Media - October 16th, 2019
- Opinion | Graham Rockingham: A year of living spiritually without religion - TheSpec.com - October 16th, 2019
- Workplace and spirituality: Meeting of opposites - The Manila Times - October 1st, 2019
- The spiritual meaning of St. Michaels name reminds us how we should live our lives - Aleteia EN - October 1st, 2019
- This Spiritual Fitness Experience Is Coming to Philly for the First Time Ever - phillymag.com - October 1st, 2019
- 4 Misconceptions That Keep You From Growing Spiritually - Patheos - October 1st, 2019
- 'My Year of Living Spiritually' is a book for the spiritual but not religious - rabble.ca - October 1st, 2019
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: October 2019 - Publishers Weekly - October 1st, 2019
- Critic's Notebook: 'This Way Up' Is More Than a Spiritual Cousin to 'Fleabag' - Hollywood Reporter - October 1st, 2019
- Knead & Seed is a haven for spiritual, emotional wellness in Sag Harbor - Northforker - October 1st, 2019
- This Darshan and one-day retreat in Eagle will bring spiritual awareness to all who attend - Vail Daily News - October 1st, 2019
- Panday honoured in Tobago by Spiritual Baptist - Trinidad Guardian - October 1st, 2019
- Institute for Priestly Formation puts spiritual lives of priests front and center - The Catholic Spirit - October 1st, 2019
- Music and spirituality at the end of life - OUPblog - September 29th, 2019
- Princess Diana's Relationships With Psychics and Spiritual Healers - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 29th, 2019
- Spirituality and Health 3 Ways Faith Helps to Overcome Stress - spokanefavs.com - September 29th, 2019
- Book Review: My Year of Living Spiritually by Anne Bokma - Raise the Hammer - September 29th, 2019
- Spiritually Speaking: Being a blessing is the only road to being blessed - The Philadelphia Tribune - September 29th, 2019
- David Brooks discusses spiritual hunger, Weave project in Baylor visit - Waco Tribune-Herald - September 29th, 2019
- Meet Greta Thunbergs spiritual precursor: The 12-year-old who silenced the world - RT - September 29th, 2019
- Brad Pitt May Be Dating a Spiritual Healer But They Also May Just Be Friends - Jezebel - September 29th, 2019