Do therapy groups exist for grumblers? Alcoholics Anonymous is a well-known program of support, but I dont think Grumblers Anonymous is a thing.
Does this indifference reflect the fact that grumbling, complaining and bellyaching are rarely witnessed in our world? Is it that grumbling spawns no physical or psychological ill effects? Certainly not. I suspect the reason is that grumbling is so systemic to the human experience as to hardly attract notice. It seems as natural and necessary as blowing ones nose.
For that matter, whos complaining about complaining, anyway? Bellyaching is no crime. Complaining causes no harm. Grumbling is no sin, to be sure. So who on Earth cares?
By way of qualification, it is certainly necessary to air legitimate concerns. We must at times object to circumstances, decry unjust laws and policies, call out corrupt leaders and contend against harmful ideas. The species of discontent we channel toward positive change does not typically qualify as grumbling.
Grumbling expresses discontent with what we cannot change or have no right to. It is complaining that scowls and whines simply because if feels good to do so, given the circumstances. Grumbling is a means by which to lash out against authority, complain about circumstances, glower in self-pity, object to people who do, say, or believe what we find detestable, or in some other way to vent discontent.
Grumbling may appear on someones I have the right; leave me alone list, but it is unlikely to appear on anyones list of virtues. We like to grumble. We dont like it nearly so much when others do. But is complaining a vice or a morally neutral, blow-ones-nose sort of habit?
The answer depends on your view of why life is what it is. If you draw your conclusions from a secularist or atheistic perspective, life just stinks sometimes. There is no ultimate reason for anything that happens. Survival is as much a reason as may be posited for why life unfolds as it does.
So grumble as much as you and others around you can stomach. It makes no difference (although you may want to check that conclusion against your medical doctors opinion and seek a close friends assessment of how endearing they find your grumbling).
For the theist who believes in a supreme god of some sort, grumbling takes on a different hue. This is particularly true of believers who serve the sovereign Lord who providentially works all things together for his glory and for the good of his people (Isaiah 45:5-7; Romans 8:28; Ephesians 1:11).
From this perspective, complaining and grumbling constitute some degree of moral resistance, if not insurrection, in that our problem is never ultimately with the unfair, frustrating, inconvenient or discouraging circumstances themselves. Our problem is with the God who permits those difficult people or troublesome circumstances to disrupt our lives. In so many words, our grumbling announces that God is not good, although he is (Psalm 84:11; James 1:17).
This means, then, that grumbling is never just about grumbling. A complaining spirit reveals the spiritual condition of my heart. Grumbling reveals that Im failing to see God for who he is.
As God revealed his nature to ancient Israel, grumbling proved a major roadblock in Israels spiritual awareness. God delivered the nation from bondage in Egypt by means of 10 miraculous plagues that left Egypt wrecked and Israel free. God continued to miraculously provide for the nation in the wilderness of Sinai and Paran as he shepherded them toward the land he promised to give them.
But Israel found the accommodations of their makeshift encampments in the wilderness unacceptable and complained to the management.
After all he had done, despite all he had promised he would do, Israel deigned to charge God with doing them wrong (Number 11:1). They even conjured the audacity to complain that life was better under Egyptian slavery. Soon, their grumbling approached mudslide proportions careening toward the suffocation of all joy and the erasure of all reason (Numbers 11:2-5).
Among other lessons, Israels experience warns us against fueling complaint with sanitized memories. Grumblers love to look backwards to a day when things were better. In doing so, their complaining spirit airbrushes that picture so that it looks better than it was.
Israel languished under harsh Egyptian rule and pleaded for Gods deliverance (Exod 2:23-25). But under the deprivations of the wilderness, nostalgia scrubbed their memories. Then, in a sleight of hand, they read their present trials in the comparative light of that imaginary past (Numbers 11:4-6; 20:3-5).
Whatever the scheme, we must know that God takes grumbling seriously. He also offers to grumblers grace and forgiveness as they seek it in him (John 3:14-16), rejoicing to turn our natural grumblings into joyful praise (Romans 8:18-30; 11:33-36).
Rev. Dan Miller is a pastor at Eden Baptist Church in Burnsville and can be contacted at http://www.edenbaptist.org. He is one of several area pastors who write for Spiritual Reflections.
- Summer solstice spiritual meaning: What does the summer solstice mean in astrology? - Express.co.uk - June 20th, 2020
- Testing faith: Spirituality in the face of tragedy and COVID-19 in Nova Scotia - TheChronicleHerald.ca - June 20th, 2020
- Finding spiritual light in a lonely place - The Daily Universe - Universe.byu.edu - June 20th, 2020
- Stories and Spirituality Are Driving Passions for Confrontation Theatre's Artistic Director - Willamette Week - June 20th, 2020
- What is the spiritual meaning of the heart? - Aleteia IT - June 20th, 2020
- A Chance to Recharge Mentally, Spiritually and Emotionally - The New York Times - June 20th, 2020
- Young Adventist Wins Second Place in 'Voice of Bulgaria' With Spiritual Song - Adventist Review - June 20th, 2020
- International Yoga Day: The relevance of yoga and the benefits of incorporating it for spiritual growth - Times Now - June 20th, 2020
- Is Being Religious and LGBTQ+ Mutually Exclusive? - Advocate.com - June 20th, 2020
- Catholic composer David Haas accused of 'sexual battery' and 'spiritual manipulation' - Catholic News Agency - June 20th, 2020
- Kunal Kapoor: I think technology changes the world outside and spirituality changes the world inside - Times of India - June 20th, 2020
- Happy Monday 06/15 by The Power of Love Radio | Spirituality - BlogTalkRadio - June 20th, 2020
- Transported across the centuries at the feast day festival at the Baptistery of St John in Florence, Italy - Catholic Leader - June 20th, 2020
- International Day of Yoga 2020: A Brief History of This Spiritual Discipline And The Art of Living Healthy - India.com - June 20th, 2020
- Fit for Life: Physical, Spiritual and Emotional Health - GoLocal Worcester - June 20th, 2020
- Spirits over spirituality? |India Today Insight - India Today - June 1st, 2020
- Spirituality - June 1st, 2020
- Vatican official: Racism is 'spiritual' virus that must be wiped out - Catholic News Service - June 1st, 2020
- Are you a good spiritual mother to your children and your loved ones? - Aleteia EN - June 1st, 2020
- Joan of Arcs spiritual life propelled her to martyrdom - Aleteia IT - June 1st, 2020
- Why, More Than Ever, We Need Nurses as Spiritual Comforters - CBN News - June 1st, 2020
- SOMETHING TO CONSIDER: We cultivate our spiritual life - Herald-Banner - June 1st, 2020
- LETTERS: Connecting spiritual communities important, but only in safe ways - Sentinel Colorado - June 1st, 2020
- ELDER: Dealing with the reality of an unseen spiritual realm - Rockdale Newton Citizen - June 1st, 2020
- Informative New Book Answers Important Questions Around Politics and Climate Change as Related to the Spiritual World - GlobeNewswire - June 1st, 2020
- Religious, spiritual services allowed to continue in person as Washington state counties reopen - KUOW News and Information - June 1st, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: June 2020 - Publishers Weekly - June 1st, 2020
- Tending to Your Spiritual Well-Being - KSRO - June 1st, 2020
- This is what were for: LAPD officers call in spiritual backup during pandemic - Angelus News - June 1st, 2020
- National Philoptochos Responds With A Multi-Pronged Approach to Provide Financial, Emotional, Spiritual and Loving Support to Individuals and Families... - June 1st, 2020
- While some try to politicize wearing face masks, for me it's a spiritual practice - Baptist News Global - June 1st, 2020
- Our view: BSA spiritual care team among local heroes on front lines of virus battle - Amarillo.com - June 1st, 2020
- On the spirituality of quarantine - The Christian Century - May 15th, 2020
- Motherhood and spirituality - The Catholic Sun - May 15th, 2020
- Eustace Was a Dragon All Along: Aslan and Spiritual Growth in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - tor.com - May 15th, 2020
- The spiritual modernist and iconoclast - Times of Malta - May 15th, 2020
- Fight and win the spiritual battle | Faith | frontiersman.com - Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman - May 15th, 2020
- Launch of Center for Spiritual Imagination hailed as 'exactly what is needed in these times' - Episcopal News Service - May 15th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: We all must do our part - Wicked Local - May 15th, 2020
- AMERICAN THEATRE | Tom Key: A Spiritual Connection - American Theatre - May 15th, 2020
- In It Together! 05/14 by Angel Talk Cafe | Spirituality - BlogTalkRadio - May 15th, 2020
- Army Chaplains Getting Creative in Helping Soldiers with Personal, Emotional and Spiritual Challenges - CBN News - May 15th, 2020
- Doctor's Orders: The value of purpose and spiritual health - Daily Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Wong Kar-Wais In the Mood for Love Spiritual Sequel Back on Track with New Filming Plans - IndieWire - May 15th, 2020
- Which qualities of Lord Hanuman should be in a Spiritual Master? - Times Now - May 15th, 2020
- What Is The Spiritual Meaning Of Angel Numbers 1010 - YourTango - May 15th, 2020
- Front-line workers receive 'spiritual' boost with blessing of the hands - Long Island Catholic - May 15th, 2020
- I provide spiritual care at a Seattle hospital. Here's what that means during the coronavirus pandemic - KUOW News and Information - May 15th, 2020
- The beauty of spiritual motherhood, according to John Paul II - Aleteia IT - May 15th, 2020
- Free Webinar: Spiritual Discovery: How you can better the world" - Patch.com - May 15th, 2020
- Just Call Me Pastor: Strengths of head, heart and hand - La Grande Observer - May 15th, 2020
- The spirituality of science - Economic Times - May 9th, 2020
- Pope warns against spiritual mafias that blind the soul to God - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - May 9th, 2020
- Spiritual Care at the Front Lines of the Pandemic - Sojourners - May 9th, 2020
- The Amazing Health Benefits of Spiritual Wellness - Lasentinel - May 9th, 2020
- Spiritual editorial: Jesus meets us wherever we are - NorthcentralPa.com - May 9th, 2020
- Spiritually speaking: The inherent power of humility | Religion - The Philadelphia Tribune - May 9th, 2020
- Our emotional, spiritual, financial and physical health depends on safely reopening Washington now - The Reflector - May 9th, 2020
- Abandoned but never forgotten Millmoor the spiritual home of the Millers - Yorkshire Post - May 9th, 2020
- Word of the Week: Yogi, a word for the spiritually wise - Hindustan Times - May 9th, 2020
- Spirituality at the core of sax greats sound - Mail and Guardian - May 3rd, 2020
- Coronavirus Is Good News for the Wellness Industry - VICE UK - May 3rd, 2020
- What does it mean to be spiritually blind? - Journal Review - May 3rd, 2020
- Hello, this is... podcast | Gaur Gopal Das on spirituality in times of a global pandemic - Moneycontrol.com - May 3rd, 2020
- Hello! This is... | Spirituality in times of a global pandemic - Moneycontrol.com - May 3rd, 2020
- Health and compassion for the mind and spirit - Vashon-Maury Island Beachcomber - May 3rd, 2020
- In this episode, The Filter taps into the spiritual - Flatland - May 3rd, 2020
- Spirituality and Reading.. On The Hangout Hour - hcam.tv - May 3rd, 2020
- The Spiritual Treadmill - The Sunday Guardian - May 3rd, 2020
- Pentecostals and the spiritual war against coronavirus in Africa - The Conversation Africa - May 3rd, 2020
- With knowledge from past outbreaks, many Indigenous people return to traditional medicines - Winnipeg Free Press - May 3rd, 2020
- Plan ahead for how you will continue working on your spiritual life once the lockdown is lifted - Aleteia EN - May 3rd, 2020
- What spiritual retreats can teach us about the challenges of lockdown - The Conversation UK - May 3rd, 2020
- Building Spiritual Readiness in the Time of COVID-19 - United States Army - April 15th, 2020
- NCR readers share how they keep spiritually grounded, part three - National Catholic Reporter - April 15th, 2020
- Stay Safe by Practicing Religion and Spirituality from Home - Merrillfotonews - April 15th, 2020
- COVID-19 and the Spiritual Life | Dale M. Coulter - First Things - April 15th, 2020
- Spiritual Health Matters in the COVID-19 Crisis - MedicineNet - April 15th, 2020
- Chaplains and Spiritual Care in Hospitals During the Coronavirus Pandemic - The New Yorker - April 15th, 2020
- Special Report: Welcome to the New Age of Spiritual Luxury - Highsnobiety - April 15th, 2020