Father Ronal M. Varghese, a Latin Catholic priest and educator in Kollam in Kerala, has had an epiphany. A Mass without community participation is like a man without a soul, he says, describing the ritual he has been celebrating in private in the chapel as mechanical and monotonous. Its better to open up places of worship to ease stress during these hard times. Of course, with social distancing rules in place, he says.
Hes not the only one. On May 15, Cardinal George Alencherry, head of the Syro-Malabar Church, wrote to Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan seeking permission to open the communitys churcheswith the requisite social distancing norms--for Mass. In fact, he wanted all places of worship in the state to be opened. The CM responded on May 18 saying it was inadvisable while the state was still battling the coronavirus. Besides, there was a directive from the Union government to keep places of worship closed during the lockdown.
Covid has killed thousands regardless of their faith in India. Kerala has so far recorded only nine of the 5,164 COVID-19 casualties in India (as on May 31) but is watchful after a renewed surge and warnings from the Indian Council of Medical Research against more aggressive strains of the virus. The state has seen 642 cases in the past 10 days alone.
The Centres do not open till infection levels drop list includes places of worship and educational institutions. An advisory has been issued to start online classes for the education sector. At least two religious congregationsthe Tablighi Jamaats markaz in Nizamuddin, Delhi, and at a gurudwara in Nanded, Maharashtrahave been COVID-19 hotspots. But Keralas religious leaders fear their grip on the faithful is slipping after two months of the lockdown. Some Christian priests have gone online and uploaded the Mass and sermons but the number of hits has been underwhelming.
The state has 28,000 Hindu temples which include popular shrines like Sabarimala, Guruvayur and the Padmanabhaswami temple in Thiruvananthapuram. Some 1,800 of these are governed by the state Devaswom boards. Among the other communities, the Christians run 4,951 churches and the Muslims 6,520 mosques in the state. The state demographic profile lists 18.3 million Hindus, 8.87 million Muslims and 6.14 million Christians (Census 2011).
Kerala had ordered the closing of all places of worship to devotees on March 23 (there are 24 cases registered against those who violated the ban). Religious leaders cutting across faiths feel the restrictions must now be eased in a phased manner.
The state government reopened liquor outlets on May 28 and has introduced a virtual queue system (through the BevQ app) to limit crowds. Some religious activists are incensed by what they say are the governments double standards. The state government must remember that spirituality is more important than spirits, says Rahul Easwar, right-wing activist and president of the Ayyappa Dharma Sena which led the Sabarimala protests (against the entry of women between the ages of 10 and 50), questioning the logic behind keeping places of worship closed. Thousands of families--including those of priests and musicians--who depend on the temples for their livelihood are now out of a job, he says.
Theologian and former spokesperson of the Syro-Malabar Church Fr Paul Thelakkat supports the idea but with reservations. Im for opening churches and other places of worship for services but not for festivals. And it must be with sufficient health protocols in place. The churches were very cooperative in the fight against the pandemic. Now they should act responsibly when they offer religious services. I believe in common prayer and spiritual gatherings but I do not want fundamentalist, foolhardy pietism to destroy the gains we have made against COVID-19, the priest said.
Renowned Hindu priest Brahmasree Kalidasa Bhattathirpad has a more anger-of-the-gods line to his argument. According to him, keeping religious places locked up may generate negative energy and the anger of holy spirits. Never in our history have places of worship remained locked for so long. We must open our doors to reduce the tension and fear. I think if we perform rituals and poojas, it may help fight the pandemic better, Bhattathirpad says. But he also insists that social distancing norms must be followed.
State government officials say the opening of religious places is out of the question, especially when some 125,000 people are under quarantine and surveillance. In fact, we are planning more restrictions on community gatherings and may order a complete lockdown again in hotspots, says a senior government official.
Bishop emeritus of the Syro-Malabar church, Kanjirapally diocese, and member of the Covid expert committee Mathew Arackel, says the chief minister is right in continuing the restrictions. We are still in the danger zone and infections are spreading to more areas. Considering the situation, its better to keep religious places shut for a few more days, says Arackel. He adds that the opening of religious places will attract crowds and fears that enforcing social distancing will be a problem.
Meanwhile, Muslim clerics like Hussain Madavoor say they are waiting for the government to take an appropriate decision over the opening of religious places.
Subscribe to the daily newsletter for sharp insights delivered straight to your inbox https://www.indiatoday.in/newsletter
- Letter: Be spiritual all the year through - Grand Forks Herald - January 5th, 2021
- Spiritual direction: What is it, who needs it, and why? - The Catholic Telegraph - January 5th, 2021
- 'I see miracles every day': Hospital chaplain reflects on spiritual care during pandemic - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - January 5th, 2021
- Inspiration - The Abundant Empower Hour 01/04 by Universal Energy | Spirituality - BlogTalkRadio - January 5th, 2021
- Spiritual Editorial: Walk confidently In 2021 and always | Faith - NorthcentralPa.com - January 5th, 2021
- New Religious Fiction Novel 'The Chronicles of Assignments: Principalities' Presents Thrilling Adventure in Spiritual Warfare - GlobeNewswire - January 5th, 2021
- Spiritual Reflections: Remember to find joy the new year - SW News Media - January 5th, 2021
- 2020 YEAR IN REVIEW: Washington reflects on a year of 'Spiritually Speaking' - The Atlanta Voice - January 5th, 2021
- Spiritual politics in the world: Is it an utopian expectation? - WION - January 5th, 2021
- African-American Educator and Spiritual Leader Jay Vinson Offers Hope for American Youth - Publishes Powerful New Memoir and Devotional That Turns... - January 5th, 2021
- Ignatian spirituality in 'Wonder Woman 1984': The line between greed and the true more of 'magis' - America Magazine - January 5th, 2021
- Spirituality: This is time of year to make our dreams real - Norwich Bulletin - January 5th, 2021
- Surviving Death on Netflix, A Scientific and Spiritual Investigation into the Afterlife | Movie trailer - Prudent Press Agency - January 5th, 2021
- JI spiritual leader Bashir set to be released on Friday - The Straits Times - January 5th, 2021
- New Year's resolutions: A spiritually uplifting thing to do - Walla Walla Union-Bulletin - January 5th, 2021
- Spiritual Successors Are Keeping Iconic Game Series Alive, and They're Not Slowing Down - The Escapist - January 5th, 2021
- Landry: How to make spiritual New Year's resolutions - Grandin Media - January 5th, 2021
- Contagion Spiritual Sequel In The Works From Steven Soderbergh - Screen Rant - January 5th, 2021
- Generation Z and spiritual wellness The Famuan - Famuan - November 10th, 2020
- Pastor Paula White calls on angels from Africa and South America to bring Trump victory - USA TODAY - November 10th, 2020
- Spiritual Warriors on Behalf of Donald Trump - The Bulwark - November 10th, 2020
- COLUMN/PERSPECTIVE: The spiritual experience of hiking the Appalachian Trail - Brunswick News - November 10th, 2020
- NJAC Rededication: 1970 Revolution impacts spirituality and religion in T&T - Wired868 - November 10th, 2020
- US election 2020: Biden seeks spiritual comfort before maelstrom of 'loneliest job in the world' - Sky News - November 10th, 2020
- OPINION/SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: Were still in this together - Wicked Local Kingston - November 10th, 2020
- Inspiration - The Abundant Power Hour 11/09 by Universal Energy | Spirituality - BlogTalkRadio - November 10th, 2020
- Spiritual teacher Sri M comes out with new collection of short stories - Times of India - November 10th, 2020
- Morality, spirituality must be at centre of discussions aimed at lasting unity - Stabroek News - November 10th, 2020
- Yes, There Is a Spiritual Side to Having a Healthy Relationship With Food | RELEVANT - RELEVANT Magazine - November 10th, 2020
- Tokayev receives head of Spiritual Administration of Muslims of Kazakhstan - Kazinform - November 10th, 2020
- Worldly concerns bleed into the spiritual realm | State - Southernminn.com - November 10th, 2020
- Trip to top of wind turbine offers spectacular sights and spiritual sensation - Wicked Local Plymouth - November 10th, 2020
- The strange tale of a former massage therapist turned religious leader & his 5 spiritual wives - The Independent - November 10th, 2020
- Study links daily spiritual practices to improved well-being and mental health - Baptist News Global - October 28th, 2020
- Brother Voodoo offers Marvel a chance to explore Black spirituality and acceptance - SYFY WIRE - October 28th, 2020
- Everything eco-friendly for the spiritual vibe - The New Indian Express - October 28th, 2020
- The Alchemy of Heartbreak and Hope: A Spiritual Practice for Our Time - Resilience - October 28th, 2020
- Chaplains and the role of spiritual care in Healthcare - The Laconia Daily Sun - October 28th, 2020
- As Witchcraft Surges in America, Is the Church Prepared for the Spiritual Battle? - CBN News - October 28th, 2020
- Spiritual Editorial: God Is With Us Through It All - NorthcentralPa.com - October 28th, 2020
- How this Indigenous architect designs buildings with Indigenous history and spirituality in mind - CBC.ca - October 28th, 2020
- PEARRELL: Our spiritual revival is not tied to who wins an election - Rockdale Newton Citizen - October 28th, 2020
- Amazing high school choir sings spiritual Down to the River to Pray from hotel balconies - Classic FM - October 28th, 2020
- A window on to Ram Kumars visionary and spiritual world - Financial Times - October 28th, 2020
- Are we experiencing a pandemic spiritual mutation? An approach from Kabbalah - The Times of Israel - October 28th, 2020
- Holly Courtier planned to go on spiritual journey, fast inside Zion National Park, family says - ABC 4 - October 28th, 2020
- Spiritual coaches aim to ease COVID-19, other health disparities in West Baltimore - Yahoo News - October 28th, 2020
- Indulgence for cemetery visits extended to spiritual visits and whole month of November - Aleteia EN - October 28th, 2020
- Russia is fighting coronavirus with prayers: a companion of Putins spiritual father has published a special book - Pledge Times - October 28th, 2020
- 4 Women of Color Share How Spirituality Has Helped Them Heal, Rest, and Resist - Well+Good - October 19th, 2020
- Tent revival focused on spiritual breakthrough | Religion - The Mountaineer - October 19th, 2020
- Spirituality in the second half of life - Catholic Herald - October 19th, 2020
- Hot on the healers: The best spiritual practitioners in London - Tatler - October 19th, 2020
- Spirituality: Know that you represent God when you show up - Norwich Bulletin - October 19th, 2020
- UK churches urged to wake up to spiritual abuse of LGBT people - The Guardian - October 19th, 2020
- Kangana Ranaut is all praise for grounded and spiritual Will Smith, wants Bollywood to show same keenn - Times of India - October 19th, 2020
- Coronavirus has exposed a moral and spiritual vacuum. Who will fill it? - TheArticle - October 19th, 2020
- Opinion: Love, Light, and Spiritual Bypassing | Opinion, Paganism, Perspectives, Politics, Witchcraft - The Wild Hunt - October 19th, 2020
- The Office of Religious & Spiritual Life to host eighth annual Crossroads Lecture - TCU 360 - October 19th, 2020
- The Spiritual Power of Pharoah Sanders - The Vinyl Factory - October 19th, 2020
- Mission Committee strives to improve faith and spirituality among Belles - Observer Online - October 19th, 2020
- Crossing over from spiritual world of ancestors to visual art - SowetanLIVE - October 19th, 2020
- Fight the second wave with apps for financial, spiritual and physical success - USA TODAY - October 19th, 2020
- Galway clergy pledge to run each day during Level 3 for spiritual and financial reasons - The Irish Times - October 19th, 2020
- Spiritual aspects of the climate and extinction crises - Uniontown Herald Standard - October 19th, 2020
- The Covid-19 pandemic tests everyone's spiritual wellbeing, atheists and believers alike - NBC News - September 21st, 2020
- Author Shares Journey of Spiritual Discovery and Healing in New Book - GlobeNewswire - September 21st, 2020
- Assemblies of God (USA) Official Web Site | Reaping a Spiritual Harvest - AG News - September 21st, 2020
- Autumn equinox spiritual meaning: What is the meaning behind the autumnal equinox? - Express - September 21st, 2020
- One Thing I Ask of YHWH: Humility and the Spiritual Search - jewishboston.com - September 21st, 2020
- Special Online Event: Being In The Now - A Spiritual Perspective - Patch.com - September 21st, 2020
- New priests will spark a 'spiritual pandemic' - The Catholic Weekly - September 21st, 2020
- From the Pulpit: God with us in time of spiritual warfare - The Daily Times - September 21st, 2020
- Owusu Bempah gives detailed account of how things work in the spiritual realm - GhanaWeb - September 21st, 2020
- This Life: Spiritual poverty is the real problem - Sight Magazine - September 21st, 2020
- FEC Chair Says There's No Separation of Church and State, Calls 2020 Election a 'Spiritual War' - Newsweek - September 21st, 2020
- Beatification cause opened for spiritual son of Padre Pio - Catholic News Agency - September 21st, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: Find your serenity in these crazy days - Wicked Local Georgetown - September 21st, 2020
- Faith matters: Awaken the spiritual artist within | Lifestyle - thereporteronline.com - September 21st, 2020
- Leaders in Peace Building, Science, Mindfulness and Spirituality to Transmit the Experience of Peace to 40 Million People Across the Globe on... - September 21st, 2020